Diablo® III

Software Engineer's ideas to get rid of bots

(Locked)

For them this is money too... If you bot and you sell via AH, then Blizzard get rid of it too, so they won't bann everyone and won't implement things like this.
11/20/2012 01:34 PMPosted by FreeWilly
The only way to beat the extreme 24/7 bots would be to add a limit on gold gained within a window of time. If you go over the limit, your account will either be flagged for review or automatically disabled.

Bots don't make as much per account as good players do in a given time frame.
Botters often bot up to 16 accounts from a single machine with virtualization software, even funneling them through separate IPs. They dominate more so through quantity, than through the time they play.
Important thing you forgot: Blizz is making money off these bots, and lots of money. Why would they want to spend money to reduce income? As a business, they will never fix bots. They can't fix bots unless they want to significantly reduce d3 income.
11/20/2012 01:34 PMPosted by FreeWilly
The only way to beat the extreme 24/7 bots would be to add a limit on gold gained within a window of time. If you go over the limit, your account will either be flagged for review or automatically disabled.

Ok, so say I got really lucky in a run and got several items worth over 2 bil. I sell them all to one buyer for lets say 15mil. I now have my account flagged and/or disabled because I was lucky.

First off, blizz will lose money from attempting to get rid of bots. Second, it's impossible to get rid of all bots forever. Third, blizz won't do anything that will annoy any real users.

Ok, so say I got really lucky in a run and got several items worth over 2 bil. I sell them all to one buyer for lets say 15mil. I now have my account flagged and/or disabled because I was lucky.

Look i disagreed with the guy you quoted, but you just aren't thinking. He said flag bots based on gold they acquire in a given time frame, and your counter example is gold acquired from the AH? Why would we use gold from AH sales as the test???? Gold picked up obviously! Think plzz!!!
Edited by RageQuit#1835 on 11/20/2012 4:28 PM PST
a) make authenticators mandatory.
b) every new game/resume game requires authenticator code.
c) you can do this for every game after the first 4hrs per 8hr period
--
even multiboxing will be a chore

umm this amounts to using Captchas. Also I can't see Blizzard making the authenticators mandatory. The have had enough pushback on this already.

a captcha can be botted, an authenticator harder so. they can definitely release an updated authenticator with an algo that isn't public so that winauth can't use it. and they can specially injunct any public release of such an algorithm.

warden can be set to terminate any running instance of winauth and remote desktop software , android emulators etc.

then by making it device only + ios/android only, they can provide special incentives

eg:
if you are using an authenticated account, then one thing for certain, every d3 account = 1 ios device, or a physical authenticator shipped to a physical location. (with quotas perhaps) this limits the amount of botting accounts. (at leasts makes it non trivial)

so special incentives:
a) authenticated accounts need to answer 1 authenticator question once every hour for every game they make after 4hrs in any 8hr period. (thus affecting more bots more than humans)

b) authenticated accounts get : ressurect choices on death: same location random 80 yards in a non boss map, or town
c) id all
d) bonus 100% mf/gf/xp
e) paragon level becomes account shared. paragon max level is increased to 200 for authenticated accounts. (softcore)
f) hardcore: instant logout on disconnect: (however a statistical number for "chicken escapes" will be noted only to you and any screenshots you make (unless you manually crop it out)
g) you get a legendary meter bar that fills up with xp, which gives a guaranteed legendary when you trigger it in the relevant difficulty.
h) you get to make 1hr, 2hr,6hr auctions
--
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 11/20/2012 5:58 PM PST
Interesting posts from everyone.

To be honest, if you're not trying to make money off the game, then you should welcome botters. They're bringing down the price of all the items in both AH's. The principle of supply and demand applies here. There are only so many buyers for items, and currently more items than buyers. Hence the price of all items will drop (unless Blizzard takes action).

If you're out there playing to be the best in the world or make your fortune, yes, you should be very upset by the botting, but anyone else shouldn't care or should welcome it.

Wow, this topic has been very good, full of good points, OP taking his time to explain even to the trolls that his ideas make sense(hey, you convinced me!).

Then this guy really makes me think "#%&@, I've played well over 500 hours and never had a single drop above 40M" it has been a long haul to get where to my current gear, even though it's mostly mediocre at best, BUT gear really is cheaper now and that made things easier for me with 100M items in 1.04 now worth 20M at best.

Really, the botting is insulting as a whole macro perspective, but in my solo(or with my monk friend) experience as an honest player, I sure enjoy it a lot more with more options at lower rates.
+1
How has it got to the point where it is stupid to not run a bot? man can you just !@#$ off and actually play the game before reading and actually beleiving all the bulll%^-* !@#$%^s post on this website. -*!@ bro
Keep the great ideas coming! I hope we can one day enjoy a bot free Diablo 3...
Problem isn't hackers. The problem is D3 gold has real market value.
To whom it may concern,

2. Do an analysis of mouse / key movements/keypress-keyup event speeds. If relative movements are too quick, flag it / do a review, add to bad wave list.

This would be very unconstitutional. Blizzard wouldn't be able to gather this type of data from your computer, unless it was anonymous data. It's against privacy laws for a business to do this type of unethical practice on individuals who are playing the game in the privacy of their own homes.
11/18/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Killxswitch
You guys do realize that bots makes Blizzard probably most of their money right?

Wow, are each and one of you discussing this just ****** stupid? All of you are, except the quoted person. You all had the answer right in front of your nose at page 2. Do yourself the favor and read his entire post, since I only quoted a bit of it. Please do so morons.

God, 90% of this forum contains totally no-brainers, OP included.
Edited by chandest#2138 on 11/21/2012 12:35 AM PST
To whom it may concern,

I really hope this note gets to the right people working in Blizzard. As a reference, I am a senior software engineer in a fortune 50 company, and I hope the Diablo 3 community & software engineers in blizzard will seriously consider my ideas and implement if necessary.

1. Protect your game data with collision detection. (The bots should not be able to read memory managed by D3 w/o triggering red flags to warden.)

2. Do an analysis of mouse / key movements/keypress-keyup event speeds. If relative movements are too quick, flag it / do a review, add to bad wave list.

3. Do a captsha check for every hour after 8 hours of play time (along with a nice note saying excessive playing is hazardous to your health).

Seriously, there are hundreds of people who are making 2K USD+ using bots. Running it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you really care about integrity of the game, use manpower to solve the problem if you have to. This is no longer some 'virtual items', it is a real problem.

i suggested the same thing long ago for wow but for bgs .. requireing a captcha would eliminate alot of bot players. but only 1 problem is when would the captcha appear right in the middle of a diablo kill ?
86 Troll Druid
This is the same problem diablo 2 had but it was even more excessive , they couldnt stop it or slow it down then why do you think they can do it now.

I like Blizzard and all of there games but this is a problem I don't think they can fix.
You boys are really naive aren't you?

Let me explain it in a very simple way:

1 Bots end up getting good items

2 Good items sell well

3 RMAH deals gives Bli$$ard teh lulz

The reason why we have crappy drops is the same reason why the botters are here to stay, and the same reason why there is a in-game RMAH.

It's kinda like "the game is cool, but you have to pay for it to be cool".
It cracks me up when people think they've stumbled upon a magic solution that has totally escaped the team of seasoned programmers who make these games.
Sadly the only thing that will work would be to bind gold to the account. Take the reason away for people to even bot in the first place
Do you honestly think if Blizz actually cared about dealing with bots, farmers, spammers, and cheaters that they would be having these issues? No, they would have hired a few folks from the data security industry, a few lawyers to go quash the spammers' websites, and that would be the end of the problem.

The fact that spammers can post with impunity to the message boards, to say nothing of the fact that their websites remain untouched, just shows that Blizz doesn't care about this issue. If anything, they're somewhat dependent on the spammers and farmers as it helps drive up the prices on the all-important RMAH.

Wow, it's impressive just how clueless you are about the subject matter.

We'll start with the one that's most fun to address. Taking down websites. Explain to me, smart guy, how does Blizzard do this? Explain to us all the process of taking down someone else's website. Organizations like the MPAA and the RIAA, with far more money and influence than Blizzard could ever hope to have, can't even take down websites blatantly violating their copyrights on a daily basis, despite having been trying to do exactly this for years on end, but somehow Blizzard will just push the magical shutdown button nobody else knows about?

Now moving on to the botting problem. How do you know they do not have experts working on this? Do you really think it's this black and white? Why are there security vulnerabilities in pretty much all software that exists? Why do viruses still exist? Why are constant security updates needed for pretty much any software that interacts with the Internet in some way? Do none of them hire experts? I guess not, because if they did they'd have 100% solved all security flaws in like 3 seconds, amirite?

The fact is, the best bots will come from private websites, which sell access to their hacks/bots/etc to users. For these private websites, it's not only in their best interest to keep a skilled staff that can create these programs for popular games, but also to keep these programs as undetectable as possible. As such, it's a constant arms race between the developers of the game and the creators of the bots/hacks/etc. It's an unwinnable scenario as long as enough people are willing to pay money for these hacks/bots/etc (and they are), the best you can do is contain it.

Explain to me how DirectTV, BellTV in Canada and DishNet can bring down pirate sites constantly?

There is only one reason and one reason only Blizzard does next to nothing to combat bots and that is corporate greed plain and simple. They don't want to spend any money combating Bots so they dont. Why dont they want to? Why do they only do mass ban waves every so often?

Because thy must allow the botters to recoup the costs of the banned accounts and make enough profit to make it worthwhile to rebuy those accounts when banned. After selling 10 million copies who do you think are the repeat customers? I would venture a guess that the botters are now their best customers and their biggest source of ongoing income due to them rebuying accounts every other month. At least as far as D3 goes.
Edited by Stoneslammer#1524 on 11/21/2012 10:06 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]