Diablo® III

Software Engineer's ideas to get rid of bots

(Locked)

These posts make me sad to think that there are SO many cheaters. Are there no honest people left? This botting is so unfair to honest players who just love to play the game. What has happened to integrity in this country? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. What goes around, comes around. Cheating will come back to them.
I agree with OP. I hope they improve the integrity of this game.
11/19/2012 02:40 AMPosted by LadyJ
These posts make me sad to think that there are SO many cheaters. Are there no honest people left? This botting is so unfair to honest players who just love to play the game. What has happened to integrity in this country? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. What goes around, comes around. Cheating will come back to them.

people bot because its an easy source of income. I have several on my friend list that bot to suppliment their income. this isn't even a game they play they just bought for cash
There are easier ways to combat botting that takes a softer approach, that tackles the very thing why botting is more efficient than legit playing.

I think a diminishing returns system, similar that to stuns in inferno now, would work great. Having something like, after 12 hours (or some other fixed amount) of playtime your, magic find, gold find, drop rate and exp gain drops by 15% for every additional hour (that would be clearly communicated via popup message). If you exit game it replenishes at the rate something like 25% per hour or something. So not to loose any efficiency you'd have to 'rest' like after 12 hours of playtime for 6 hours.

No sane legit players play for 30 hours straight anyway. Real people need to sleep and eat, etc. Bots on the other hand after like 16 hours would get 0 gold, 0 drops and 0 exp, if not logged off to rest. And also characters that still 'play' knowing that they don't get anything raises a 100% red flag.
Edited by Sin#2625 on 11/19/2012 5:04 AM PST
11/18/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Yoona
they do captchas in cabal online to stop bots.

I've mentioned this in this thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7173257342?page=17

But it doesn't fully work for its intended purpose (it worked on getting me killed when several Capellas raided my MF spot once though, LOL), CabalRider (Cabal's bot program) still can work around it. I'm not even a software engineer yet but there's no such thing as random. Once you figure the seed, then it's cracked.
Edited by arscariosus#6419 on 11/19/2012 5:11 AM PST
There are easier ways to combat botting that takes a softer approach, that tackles the very thing why botting is more efficient than legit playing.

I think a diminishing returns system, similar that to stuns in inferno now, would work great. Having something like, after 12 hours (or some other fixed amount) of playtime your, magic find, gold find, drop rate and exp gain drops by 15% for every additional hour (that would be clearly communicated via popup message). If you exit game it replenishes at the rate something like 25% per hour or something. So not to loose any efficiency you'd have to 'rest' like after 12 hours of playtime for 6 hours.

No sane legit players play for 30 hours straight anyway. Real people need to sleep and eat, etc. Bots on the other hand after like 16 hours would get 0 gold, 0 drops and 0 exp, if not logged off to rest. And also characters that still 'play' knowing that they don't get anything raises a 100% red flag.

But there are several cases of people dying from playing D3 straight for hours, I'm just too lazy to fetch those articles for you, I think it happened in Taiwan or somewhere in SEA... I for one played Ragnarok Online for 24 hours in a computer shop occasionally when I was still younger, maybe 6-8 years ago. I know it's dumb and is a bad practice but it does happen.
Edited by arscariosus#6419 on 11/19/2012 5:20 AM PST
Why get rid of botting when every time you ban a load of botters, a load of botters re-buy a load of $60 Diablo 3 discs?
Bots can be dealt with to a big extend , and be reduced to a minor problem, and software and coding is not the problem. For gaming companies that have gone into a campaign to defeat botters check CCP and its game EVE-Online.

From an engineering point of view it's all about behavioural detection, it can be done, you detect them and neutralize them. Specially professional networks, people selling gold outside of the RMAH in third party sites, you punish the sellers and notice the users of such services, most people will return to the 'good path' after being noticed, specially when there are legit options for pay to win.

Believe me, is mostly the professional botters who are screwing the game, so these would be first priority. As for players using bots, the same can be done, the thing is they must automatize the process and keep track of offenders, this is better done tracking means of payment etc. (not easy to bypass for a normal person botting). If you give them enough times it becomes economically profitable, so they will repeat. massive banning campaigns each X weeks don't work, what works in constantly banning people over and over.

But the real problem is the corporate attitude towards this, if morons at management don't realize that by not providing enough resources to fight this and take the problem seriously hurts the game profitability in the long run and they prefer some short term results there is nothing to be done. But well that's a problem which repeats itself usually in big business world, and not easy to deal with it, because it's the easier path to follow instead or offering quality which requires hard work.

edit: editted for clarification on third party gold sellers
Edited by KNac#2601 on 11/19/2012 6:45 AM PST
90 Gnome Death Knight
I think the RMAH probably got a lot of people that never botted before into it, since there's real money incentive now. But I don't care anymore really, games kinda dead to me.
Blizzard ban bots in waves for a reason. So the bot makers don't get instant recognition of exactly is banable and what is not.
11/19/2012 05:45 AMPosted by DeadRu
How lame does one have to be to actually believe the professional botters use the rmah.

Mmmm, I didn't say that, I said exactly the contrary. ("out of" as "outside of")

Pointless comment anyway.

Behavior detection sounds to me that something that will inevitably lead to thousands of false positives and tens of thousands of false negatives....

... oh, isn't that like Warden? That's completely Blizzard's style, let us do it!

How lame does one have to be to actually believe the professional botters use the rmah.
Very lame.

No if it's done right, very few false positives. Has been done, do more reasearch please.

BTW behavioural detection is not only about in gameplay activity, is about all session activity. And even outside game activity.
Edited by KNac#2601 on 11/19/2012 5:57 AM PST
Even if blizzard already does htis, they would never tell you.
I may not be a software engineer but I do sale used cars for a living. I can tell you this, the problem does not take man power or technical expertise.

It would only take 1 phone call from Jay Wilson to stop the bots. These bots, they aren't a glitch in the system. They are here by design
I may not be a software engineer but I do sale used cars for a living. I can tell you this, the problem does not take man power or technical expertise.

It would only take 1 phone call from Jay Wilson to stop the bots. These bots, they aren't a glitch in the system. They are here by design

then their design is terrible and the game will fail rather fast. It will become bots playing with bots. 1-2 thousand players that are completely oblivious cause they never go to forums with idea why there is so much stuff on the auction house and gold is worth nothing and they can't buy anything because the prices are so high for anything good. And then you have the people running bots who have near perfect characters dicking around once a month for a couple hours then going back to botting
Edited by kawasakinin#1596 on 11/19/2012 6:05 AM PST
IP ban or hardware ban? Is it possible?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]