Diablo® III

Software Engineer's ideas to get rid of bots

(Locked)

1) Make a super rare "riddle" npc who appears in town next to the portals. He never appears at the beginning of the game, but randomly appears there while playing.

He is obvious, unique garb, and shouts something like "Pick the correct answer, to claim your prize" with a little caption about his head. He asks stupid insultingly easy riddles, randomly from a list that changes week to week. You get four answer choices, and if you pick correctly, you get a million gold, perhaps less for low levels.

The riddler is phased, and appears only to one individual at a time...never to everyone in a group. When teleporting back to town, you will see him, and trigger a 2 minute timer to interact with him and answer the riddle. (the timer targets afk botting).

Players who trigger the timer but fail to interact (especially consecutive failures) are flagged for immediate review. Players with a track record of answering the question are then prioritized for review in order of their inability to answer the riddles.

To make it fun for players who have good track records, he'll occasionally ask tougher questions about D3 lore, with bigger prizes than the million gold. E.g. maybe a few legendaries that only the riddler can drop, which will strongly encourage players to take answering the riddler seriously.

This is a terrible idea.

Why is this a terrible idea?

I am in all support of ideas that does a simple check to see if the player is actually a human, and rewarding human players with gold/loot, finding and identifying botters and promptly (weekly ban waves please?)
Bah, pick on little things, sure I made some spelling errors because I was typing it up, without any proof reading.

But I just want to say bots are a real issue, and it is fightable. I don't understand such a slow turn-around in Blizzard. Having many bots, go undetected.

It came to a point where it is stupid to not be running a bot. Where is the fun in that?

Sadly if botters make $2,000 Blizz takes a big cut of that. same with gold tax in GAH, Why would they limit there money supply?
And when they stop making money off RMAH or GAH they will implement a patch or a expansion to ensure they make sooo much more.
We live in a capitalist world where people do not matter, only the amount of money you can make. And botters make them alot.
Also with all the nerfs and item changes they have distanced their player base and many that would spend on RMAH have quit. They spent, got nerfed, lost all their money, and quit.
Put a captcha in every time a legendary drops. Not a pop up in your face game freeze screen that kills your character. Simply a little text box that pops up above the inventory. With no x to cancel out, if you don't answer the captcha within a minute or two you get kicked from the server regardless of whether you picked up the legendary. The more times you're flagged for getting timed out, or unable to answer captcha's, the more your account should be looked into regarding botting.
It is really a major disappointment that botting has more rewards in this game then actually playing it. Even if there is a ban, it is simple to just mule the profits to another account.

Bind on account items need to be released, when picked up, and make them attainable for x amount of time played.
Bah, pick on little things, sure I made some spelling errors because I was typing it up, without any proof reading.

But I just want to say bots are a real issue, and it is fightable. I don't understand such a slow turn-around in Blizzard. Having many bots, go undetected.

It came to a point where it is stupid to not be running a bot. Where is the fun in that?

Sadly if botters make $2,000 Blizz takes a big cut of that. same with gold tax in GAH, Why would they limit there money supply?
And when they stop making money off RMAH or GAH they will implement a patch or a expansion to ensure they make sooo much more.
We live in a capitalist world where people do not matter, only the amount of money you can make. And botters make them alot.
Also with all the nerfs and item changes they have distanced their player base and many that would spend on RMAH have quit. They spent, got nerfed, lost all their money, and quit.

This argument doesn't make sense. Blizzard can´t do alot against bots. If they could, they would have done it.

If 75% of blizzard player base is angry because people are botting in diablo. Then, it means blizzard is losing trust from the customer, which means they will make less sales for upcoming games, which means they will lose ALOT more money then they are making from these `bots`. Blizzard makes money from their customers, not because of bots.

If you don't agree with this, then you have no idea how to run a longterm business.
Edited by NosSie#2453 on 11/19/2012 1:11 PM PST
bump
11/18/2012 10:42 PMPosted by badb0y
Op is retard, this problem has existed since the beginning of online gaming. You think they haven't considered your suggestions? The fact of the matter is if your bot detection system ends up messing up the game for legit players they will not implement it.

You mean like what they did in Diablo 2? Legit players cannot mule or do quick MF runs without being locked out for up to 24 hours. Idiot.
Do they really want to stop bots from running? Being that they make 15% from all sales and that 2k/month equates to about 300/month/account of Diablo 3. I'd say that bots aren't going anywhere as a human farmer can't turn out that kind of money for them (although they look pretty tired on youtube and probably make more money from being a partner.). Leaving the game is still going to have the bots farming until the bots that run the auction house run out of money. Slightly before this all happens they'll release an expansion to keep the legit money rolling in.

The real question here is are you really using the RMAH? isn't that just the lazy way to pay. or your mad because your bot got kicked because it was to active and drew attention or to much maintenance. I really can't see how a senior software engineer could care about people making a feeble amount of money (compared to the cash you must be getting 24k a year isn't much) unless your back story is a complete lie.
To OP,

I think both 1. and 3. are good.
But as for number 2, similarly to the input limit function they have in the game right now, if implemented carelessly, it would yield a bad result... My experience is that ever since I start playing my monk, I got a lot of "client lost from server blah blah blah error", I think it's mainly because playing my monk requires much more micro than playing my other Classes.

P.S. Please implement /nopickup function. Blizzard has the feature about auto-gold pickup without clicking, however, they don't have function like /nopickup... which is essential for some Class... Hint: Monk.
Captcha... no.

Not only would they be annoying for the regular player but they simply don't work.

#1 If you are running your 100 bot farm it is still worth your time to walk down the line and enter the captchas by hand and let your bots continue farming at will.

#2 I know none of the fine citizens on this forum would ever go to illegal download sites or sexy sites. But many of those sites make their users enter captchas. These captchas are not to restrict access to the sites material. That is the sites product. They are captcha solution farms.

When a bot needs to solve a captcha it sends the image to these other sites. Where a human wanting to download his illegal sexy videos, enters in the correct solution, thinking it is required to gain access to his download, which is sent back to the bot. The bot enters the captcha solution and if it is successful, the bot gets to continue, and the human gets to download his illegal sexy videos.

captcha where broken along time ago. There is an army of humans willing to solve captchas for bots in exchange for sweet downloads.
Edited by Ham#1161 on 11/19/2012 2:03 PM PST
If everyone just played hardcore, there would be no RMAH issue, and the incentive to bot would decrease.

Play Hardcore!
11/19/2012 01:26 PMPosted by HelsPartsman
I really can't see how a senior software engineer could care about people making a feeble amount of money (compared to the cash you must be getting 24k a year isn't much) unless your back story is a complete lie.

The issue of all the people complaining about botting has nothing to do with what their perspective of 'feeble amount of money' is.

Say you have a son/daughter planning to go to a college. Let's say your offspring studied hard, paid attention in class, did everything right. She has a good chance to be the top (whatever percentage). Now, let's say there are few cheaters in the system, who doesn't study or tries to, but they end up getting 4.0 GPAs, scoring perfect on SATs. They go to top notch universities, with full scholarships. Something that your son/daughter deserves.

Would you still not care? Would you still say, well, he/she is still a good student, he/she will still get a decent job and decent pay.

Now, instead of your son/daughter, let's say this is you. Would you care that there are blatant cheaters out there abusing the system?

Let's say instead of college, say it is a job, or a free pizza coupon. Would you care?

What if it was 1 billion gold in D3 game. Would you care?

Oh, that's right. You wouldn't care if you had a decent job that pays more than 24k a year.
why not just force authenticators?
random authenticator request during long periods of gameplay
it wont catch them all but it will sure make it more difficult
make it part of the expansion pack and build the cost into the pricing
Edited by nWc#1366 on 11/19/2012 2:06 PM PST
11/18/2012 10:42 PMPosted by badb0y
Op is retard, this problem has existed since the beginning of online gaming. You think they haven't considered your suggestions? The fact of the matter is if your bot detection system ends up messing up the game for legit players they will not implement it.

1, Blizzard didnt tested Inferno properly (their words)

2. The AH and RMAH was full of bugs when it was released.

3. Remember how Diablo 3 started. It was awfull. It still has a lot of flaws.

And you belive they tried everything?

Well ... I dont think so.
A way to combat bots is to have a ingame link to report suspected bots. A player in game can spot a bot EZ.

And investigate all reports. Ban, and keep repeating.

3. Do a captsha check for every hour after 8 hours of play time (along with a nice note saying excessive playing is hazardous to your health).

This right here is all we need. After 6 or 8 hours of constant gameplay pop 1 captcha window up.

If someone can't be bothered to type 1 captcha for 8 hours of play then they are seriously a fat retard.
Interesting posts from everyone.
If we are trying to limit the botting, here's my take:
[ol]
  • A message from the sys admin requiring an action will likely reduce a large number of bots, especially when it is first launched since no one will be babysitting.
  • Those accounts should be flagged for 1 month and randomly messaged by a sys admin on different days and after a random time spent active online.
  • [/ol]

My question is why are we trying to limit the bots? Who cares if users are out there making real $$ on the game? Most of us didn't buy the game to make money on it, nor is that the reason we're playing it still.

To be honest, if you're not trying to make money off the game, then you should welcome botters. They're bringing down the price of all the items in both AH's. The principle of supply and demand applies here. There are only so many buyers for items, and currently more items than buyers. Hence the price of all items will drop (unless Blizzard takes action).

If you're out there playing to be the best in the world or make your fortune, yes, you should be very upset by the botting, but anyone else shouldn't care or should welcome it.
    Just out of curiosity, how would one go about catching a bot without impeding legit players. I too am a software engineer, and If I were to design a bot I would make sure I faked the input on a set resolution size screen and include random delays mimicking my own play behavior and have a scheduler for making sure I didn't run it too much, just enough to look like a crazed teenaged gamer.

I'm sure a lot of extreme players would look like intelligent bots.
    The only harm bot proliferation has is really on other bots. The more bots out there, the fewer paying players there are (proportionally)... and that cuts into the bot operator's bottom line.

For the average player, however, bots increase supply and force item cost down.

This leads me to believe that the only people calling for blizz to crack down on botters are actually botters upset that their bottom line is in trouble...

If you really care about integrity of the game, use manpower to solve the problem if you have to. This is no longer some 'virtual items', it is a real problem.

Problem with your post:

They.
    Do.
    Not.
    Care.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]