Diablo® III

Software Engineer's ideas to get rid of bots

(Locked)

it's an obvious answer, blizzard employees are running the bots and profiting.
Do not allow players to cashout to paypal before a 2-3 month holding period.

Quick cashouts allow botters to make significant profits and cashout long before they are caught. The cost of buying a new licenses and equipping new characters to bot-farm is small, so the best deterrent is simply the threat of wasted time and effort, since there is (or should be) a fairly high chance of being caught in a 2-3 month window.

If a character is caught on any account botting, then you should confiscate battlenet balances from all accounts associated with it. I.e. all accounts under the same name, linked to the same paypal name, etc.

This is a good way to for blizz to make money too -- a lot better than making botters just buy new copies of the game. Seizing sizeable bankrolls from botters will give Blizz a much larger revenue stream to police game integrity.
I remember when blizzard released different maps of the same place in diablo 2. Since the maps were chosen randomically blizz thought it'd be harder to bot... it didnt work.

captcha sucks. if blizzard implemented this on d3 i'd definately complain about it. i do play legit and it'd be annoying if there was one.

nothing works. the only thing that will work will be if blizz decides to hire some people that will work all day banning everyone. the problem is that blizz will probably need lot of people to work on this, which means that blizz won't do it. so we'll always have botters no matter what.

one cd-key, probably yields a lot more than its cost for a botter. so why would they stop? if they get banned, they'll simply buy another d3, which makes more money for blizz. So blizz will always ban botters (in waves, so botters can have their profit), botters will always buy more cd keys and people will always buy more gold, a never ending cycle where everyone but us are happy =D

learn to live with it
Edited by Trooper666#1536 on 11/19/2012 10:28 PM PST
Just no captShas pls :D
a) make authenticators mandatory.
b) every new game/resume game requires authenticator code.
c) you can do this for every game after the first 4hrs per 8hr period

--
even multiboxing will be a chore
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 11/19/2012 11:42 PM PST
Another idea,

For every 4 non-public games a player creates or joins in a given day, he must play one public game completing one of the major quests with randomly assigned teammates. Other players may report player for bot like behavior, and blizz will prioritize investigation of accounts with the most number of reports....

Non-public games where the player does not leave town (e.g. for inventory management, crafting, or trades) will not be counted against the player.
Edited by RageQuit#1835 on 11/20/2012 12:08 AM PST
31 Human Rogue
MIB
11/18/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Heenooh
If you really care about integrity of the game

they wouldn't have even tried to make d3 without Blizz North if this were the case
Captchas are not the answer there are new things out like areyouhuman in which you have to do a game with little thought but computes can't figure them out.

Everyone is right Blizzard is not going to do anything because they are driving the prices up on both GAH and RMAH. Why would they take money out of their pockets they already have ours.
randomly allocated memory is one way of doing it. And doing so, specially using new random number generator instructions in modern processors. The hackers will figure out eventually, but if you keep them really busy, you at least lower their profit.
90 Human Priest
"I have a good idea, but I don't present any source code."

lol at Software Engineer.
Edited by Nulltype#1847 on 11/20/2012 12:43 AM PST
1) Make a super rare "riddle" npc who appears in town next to the portals. He never appears at the beginning of the game, but randomly appears there while playing.

He is obvious, unique garb, and shouts something like "Pick the correct answer, to claim your prize" with a little caption about his head. He asks stupid insultingly easy riddles, randomly from a list that changes week to week. You get four answer choices, and if you pick correctly, you get a million gold, perhaps less for low levels.

The riddler is phased, and appears only to one individual at a time...never to everyone in a group. When teleporting back to town, you will see him, and trigger a 2 minute timer to interact with him and answer the riddle. (the timer targets afk botting).

Players who trigger the timer but fail to interact (especially consecutive failures) are flagged for immediate review. Players with a track record of answering the question are then prioritized for review in order of their inability to answer the riddles.

To make it fun for players who have good track records, he'll occasionally ask tougher questions about D3 lore, with bigger prizes than the million gold. E.g. maybe a few legendaries that only the riddler can drop, which will strongly encourage players to take answering the riddler seriously.

RuneScape has this in like 2002 or so already. Guess what?
Exactly, the bot developers made riddle solvers :)

Also about CAPTCHA.

Runescape did this also like in 2003 or so.
Guess what?
The botters made a centralized server, where they uploaded the captchas and humans solved them there for each other.
Also with the computing power we have today it is very, very hard to make a captcha that human still can read (have you ever been to sites, where you have to refresh like 10 times before you actually get a somewhat readable captcha?), but a computer can't solve.
Very easy.

First Blizzard finds out who sells gold, this can be done by faking buyers on trade sites. Identify as many gold selling accounts as possible, look at who buys from them, record the transactions.

Now ban the gold sellers, warn buyers with permanent ban.

What Bliizzard needs to do is trigger MASSIVE FEAR, and most problems will work out by themselfs.
Why does everyone on this forum claim to be a software engineer? lol
I do lol. Imagine the millions of red flags you would get from movements. Anyone rubberbanding would give what 300 red flags? Get your senior education back to the books.
just make it mandatory that the game logs you out after 4 hours... and then you have to enter authenticator code to log back in..... make Authenticator's mandatory, cant replicate the authenticator code yet....

It aint hard to enter a code, takes 10 seconds of time, and would resolve a big chunk of online cheating, they should also ship authenticator and non authenticator boxes, so those people that have mobiles would buy the non box, those that dont have mobiles buy the box with an authenticator with it, dont just limit it to the limited edition like they did in wow once.

And those that dont like Authenticator's, they can piss off.
They could stop botting if they wanted to, but why would they, they make money from them, and allot of money, they just do random mass bans to make people think they care, but really its just revenue raising.
11/20/2012 01:38 AMPosted by Jay
Why does everyone on this forum claim to be a software engineer? lol

This. Exactly. LOL.
Another idea,

For every 4 non-public games a player creates or joins in a given day, he must play one public game completing one of the major quests with randomly assigned teammates. Other players may report player for bot like behavior, and blizz will prioritize investigation of accounts with the most number of reports....

Non-public games where the player does not leave town (e.g. for inventory management, crafting, or trades) will not be counted against the player.

This just punishes legitimate players. Why force someone to do something they don't want to? The idea here is to create something to stop botters without punishing the legitimate players. By forcing players to play a public game it punishes the player. It will do more harm than good. Botters will just bypass it easily by using Mechanical Turk and pay a person to answer the captchas or riddles you suggested. Captcha is then bypassed while normal players continually get punished for what?

Captcha is too complex and can be defeated successfully, read it:
http://theory.stanford.edu/~jcm/papers/captcha-study-oakland10.pdf

Captchas are not the answer there are new things out like areyouhuman in which you have to do a game with little thought but computes can't figure them out.

Everyone is right Blizzard is not going to do anything because they are driving the prices up on both GAH and RMAH. Why would they take money out of their pockets they already have ours.

I agree, captchas are not the answer but everyone is suggesting it. I do not agree with it because it punishes legitimate players and does more harm than good in the end. For a solution to work it must not be intrusive to the legitimate player while still catching the botters. This is not an easy task to achieve. The only other option is like some suggested of reviewing accounts with lots of gold picked up and being logged into the game 24/7 repeating the same actions over and over again.
This just punishes legitimate players

I just don't see how asking a player to play the occasional public game is all that "punishing" to legitimate players.

Eventually I think blizzard will get the bots that play the public games, because there's an easy way to detect them... their teammates. Blizzard just needs to add an easy report function and to take action there.

If you're a total casual, what I suggested won't affect one bit, because my suggestion will give x number of games per day or week to play however you like. Once u exceed that number, you just have to play one out of 5 games...not even that, a simple quest in an act with a group of randoms. Takes probably 15 mins -- i just don't see how that hurts really, u still can find loot there. And if the benefit is a severe crack down on botting, I would say its well worth it.

RuneScape has this in like 2002 or so already. Guess what?
Exactly, the bot developers made riddle solvers :)

I never played runescape, but I see charts on the internet with the answers to the riddles in game. I only see one page of riddles, all related to game lore. I'm not sure those riddles were designed to catch bots, but just to give players a chance to be rewarded for knowing game lore.

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=treasure_trails_riddles.htm#a

If I were writing questions / riddles, first I'd change them frequently. Like every week.
I'd ask questions that would force coding, lookups, etc, that are difficult on programmers.

1. The weapon you are currently holding is:
A) Pig Sticker
B) Savage Axe

2. The third character in your characters name is:
A) a
B) v

3. Your character's hair color is?
A) Black
B) Red
C) White

4. Your current follower is?
A) Enchantress
B) Scoundrel
C) Templar
D) None

I'd write a lot more entertaining diablo lore questions, but these are my "bot" catch type questions. Make it difficult for bot makers to distribute answers by making the answers depend on their character, their items, state of the game. This makes it impossible to distribute answers via simple lookup tables.

Most importantly, change the questions, wording, etc. frequently -- weekly, daily even.

These types of questions will force bot makers to keep adding code to parse language, analyze game state, etc, for each little question I add to the list. If you do it right, they won't have a chance at keeping up.
Edited by RageQuit#1835 on 11/20/2012 5:18 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]