Diablo® III

How Fun Is Hardcore?

Title says it all. Softcore isn't cutting it anymore.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7179258721
Reply Quote
If you want every fight, every drop, and every death to mean something, HC is the place to be.

I don't play HC much anymore, but that's more because I like running with friends (they won't touch HC).
Reply Quote
Its super fun until you die. And then it only starts to suck when you die for a completely stupid reason. Purhaps those "game screwing up" reasons are rare. But can you afford to take the chance?
Reply Quote
ive had several hardcore characters. recently lost a paragon 22 (luckily i have a good hellfire ring ;)). i gotta tell you, i spent a lot of time in softcore. got myself a legacy nats set back in the day, farmed 1.0.4 and made a ton of gold. but it gets boring running over and over and over.

started hardcore with a friend, its like a whole new experience. i havent played a game this fun in a long time. the thrill of knowing death could be just around the corner. no matter how invincible you think you become it is always present.

gearing is different. you have to find a balance between killing power and defense, too weak and you'll die, too low on attack and you can't kill fast enough. it isnt like you have write anything down :P, but it has to be more than "i can take one hit". life regen and LoH become more valuable, and anything with Vit is worth more :).

that brings me to the economy. there are no bots, dubing isnt rampant, and there is no RMAH. you wont find cheap 1200 dps socketed weapons, but you can easily find enough to get by (i bought my current WD weapon for 2.5m, it is 920 dps with int, LoH and a socket). it makes it so easy to break into it. once i got to inferno i had a reduced level weapon and about 800k to my name, bought some starter gear and got through act 1, farmed up a couple million with some decent items, and i died. a truly glorious death. i remember it fondly.

eventually got a group of friends (in fact right now, 12 are online :), people i actively play with). we ran ubers eventually, farmed out and shared good gear with each other. had some laughs and witnessed some heartbreaking deaths haha. when someone died we all pitched in with gear and gems, gave them wayponts to level back up to our level fast. the community is really nice, always willing to offer advice or help. theyve always impressed me with their honesty and help. of course there are always some bad seeds, but thats true of anyone.

the one flaw is disconnects. ive died twice to a bit of lag, and once to a disconnect. ive disconnected maybe 2-3 times in 200 hours, but it happens i suppose. dying to it is beyond frustrating, but you get over it XD

trust me, if you think you will like it, i bet you'll love it. just make sure you go in with this mindset, "it is not about if i will die, it is when i will die"
Reply Quote
Everyone I know doing it stopped playing it so I did too. It isn't anything special for me.
Reply Quote
HC is not fun if the cause of death is your connection, something not in your control.
Server side, IP side.

IMO, HC is stress, not challenging.
It has nothing to do with player's skills, its all about GEAR and having SO MUCH patience.

There's nothing to prove in playing HC, really.
You're just being TOO cautious, and that's all there is to it.
Reply Quote
^beat HC, then talk about how little skill it takes. ive gone through the game several times without disconnects. hardcore is where the only skill in this game is at :P, i was ready to quit and call this game boring before hardcore showed me the way.

trust me, until you play it, you have no idea
Reply Quote
Anything is fun if you're drunk enough.
Reply Quote
^beat HC, then talk about how little skill it takes. ive gone through the game several times without disconnects. hardcore is where the only skill in this game is at :P, i was ready to quit and call this game boring before hardcore showed me the way.

I have played it since D2 days, using even the safest character, Necromancer (fishymancer build). Its not really fun, only stress. You dont know how scary were the MSLES back then... oh you're not a D2 player.
Reply Quote
Hardcore is tons of fun. It actually feels like a Diablo game on HC.

This is what I tell SC players about HC:

-The item trade economy is the way it's supposed to be.

-The game almost never gets boring

-Death is scary, escaping it is thrilling (y'all HC players out there know the rush of adrenaline you get when your hero is on the verge of death)

-There is always meaningful progress to be made

-The community is much better

-Softcore is plagued by bots/hacks, a ruined economy and a generally poor community.

If lag/DC deaths are the reason why you don't play HC, then just remember this: It's just a game!!! You'll get over it, in fact losing a hero in HC adds to the longevity/replayability of the game.

BTW I play on the East coast. I've only ever lost one hero to a DC/Lag, and that was a lvl 8 Wizard--boo hoo.
Reply Quote
The only type of radiant star gem available on the hardcore auction house when I peeked today was topaz.

Just to put a point in the "interesting" category for playing hardcore.
Reply Quote
Its all a matter of taste. Some may like it, a lot may not, you'll never know until you try it yourself.

Me personally, I play hardcore in real life so there's no need for it in a video game.
Edited by ImSpartacus#1205 on 11/19/2012 8:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Charon
If lag/DC deaths are the reason why you don't play HC, then just remember this: It's just a game!!! You'll get over it, in fact losing a hero in HC adds to the longevity/replayability of the game.

If its just a game, then why SO SERIOUS in playing HC XD
If its just a game, then i dont have to die once XD

Let the one life to live IRL.
And let the game be just a game.
Reply Quote

same.

I almost quit too, was playing T2, GW2 and generally searching for the next game ...

HC pulled me back so, I'm still here.

I also disagree with everyone dies. chances are you will but, it's not 100%. even if it's 99%, it's not everyone...
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Xuu

If its just a game, then why SO SERIOUS in playing HC XD
If its just a game, then i dont have to die once XD

Let the one life to live IRL.
And let the game be just a game.

LOL you make such little sense, it's just silly, but I'll entertain you anyways.

I'm not serious, that's why I play HC, as well as SC, as well as any video game I enjoy.

PS. When you die in HC you don't die in real life. You also get to make another hero.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Charon

I was falling asleep playing HC. I have to play reckless to have fun, and I did that even on hardcore once I had better gear for it. Hardcore is simply too restricting for me to enjoy because I'll die eventually with how I play, and then I get to laugh at it! Not so much on hardcore.
Reply Quote
HC should be removed.
So that some players wont take their "game" too seriously XD

There should be a government warning like we have here in cigarettes,
"HC playing is dangerous to your health"

11/19/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Aspie

I was falling asleep playing HC. I have to play reckless to have fun, and I did that even on hardcore once I had better gear for it. Hardcore is simply too restricting for me to enjoy because I'll die eventually with how I play, and then I get to laugh at it! Not so much on hardcore.

This guy gets it.
Being reckless and "free" in just a game is FUN.

It really hard for me to understand HC players with their definition of challenge and fun.
Edited by Xuu#6972 on 11/19/2012 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Honestly, I hate hardcore players. Their mentality is extremely annoying and I wish they'd be quiet about how great they think hardcore is for other people.
Reply Quote
It really hard for me to understand HC players with their definition of challenge and fun.

It really boils down to being meticulous I think. You plan your character more. You pay attention to everything. You think on another level. Not higher or lower, just different.

I found hardcore more enjoyable personally, but if someone wants to play the game differently who am I to tell them otherwise?

Edit: And you can still be a little wreckless in HC. You might just end up paying for it though. That's how I lost my 2 HC characters lol.
Edited by Alosis#1811 on 11/19/2012 8:38 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]