Diablo® III

Very confused........

I'm gonna use my WD for this example/question. If my armor gives me 57% damage reduction and my lowest resist gives me 75% damage reduction (let's say fire), how does this calculate against desecrate? Say the damage would be 10K for this scenario. I've read the posts but I'm still a bit confused. The reason I ask is because I'm about to purchase a new chest piece. The armor is 830 but no resist all. I just want to know if it would benefit or hurt. Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
*EDITED* I was going to try and alleviate the confusion but only ended up posting incorrect information prior to this edit. I will revisit this post when I have an accurate response for you all.
Edited by Grimiku on 11/21/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
d3up.com
Reply Quote
I hope I can alleviate your confusion. The easiest way to calculate if something is a defensive gain or loss is to compare the total percent damage reduction for both Armor and Resistance. If your Resistance gives you 75% damage reduction and your Armor gives you 60% reduction, then the new gear is only a gain if the total is higher than 135. Examples below!

Current Gear
75% damage reduction from Resistance
+
60% damage reduction from Armor
= 135

Defensive Upgrade Example
70% damage reduction from Resistance
+
66% damage reduction from Armor
= 136 GAIN :)

- OR -

Defensive Downgrade Example
+
64% damage reduction from Armor
= 134 LOSS :(

WoW...didn't know i needed to pull out my calculator to know if I found an upgrade or not...
Reply Quote
Err... that equation doesnt really work.

By those numbers, I'd be "losing" on the deal if I were to drop my allres to 20%, but increase my armor to 100% mitigation.

---

EDIT:

What you want to do reverse the % to "taken" instead of "resisted", and MULTIPLY the numbers together, not add them.

If you are looking for an "average" response that doesn't invvolve multiplying the inverse... then considering 1 allres to be = 10 armor is a good and fast calculation to use.

But adding %s is a nono.
Edited by Squaekers#1234 on 11/21/2012 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I hope I can alleviate your confusion. The easiest way to calculate if something is a defensive gain or loss is to compare the total percent damage reduction for both Armor and Resistance. If your Resistance gives you 75% damage reduction and your Armor gives you 60% reduction, then the new gear is only a gain if the total is higher than 135. Examples below!

Current Gear
+
= 135

+

- OR -

+

That is completely false.

If I have 80% reduction from armor, 40% from resist, I take (100% - 80%) * (100% - 40%) = 12% of incoming damage.

If swapping out one or more items changes that to 65% reduction from armor and 65% from resist, i take (100% - 65%) * (100% - 65%) = 12.25% of incoming damage.

This is a net defense loss, even though 65 + 65 > 80 + 40.

It's sad that the community managers at Blizzard don't even know how their own game works, and can't even do the basic math that any 5th grader (outside US) can.
Reply Quote
Incoming "I said it was the easiest way to calculate, not the most accurate one" post from blue (he'd be right too, btw).
Reply Quote

Current Gear
+
= 135

+

- OR -

+

That is completely false.

If I have 80% reduction from armor, 40% from resist, I take (100% - 80%) * (100% - 40%) = 12% of incoming damage.

If swapping out one or more items changes that to 65% reduction from armor and 65% from resist, i take (100% - 65%) * (100% - 65%) = 12.25% of incoming damage.

This is a net defense loss, even though 65 + 65 > 80 + 40.

It's sad that the community managers at Blizzard don't even know how their own game works, and can't even do the basic math that any 5th grader (outside US) can.

I think he just got called for a " meeting"

LOL
Reply Quote
my god, over 100% damage mitigation?!
Reply Quote

Current Gear
+
= 135

+

- OR -

+

WoW...didn't know i needed to pull out my calculator to know if I found an upgrade or not...

You didn't know that there was gonna be math involved in a role playing game with stats?

Really?

Really?

Really?
Reply Quote
you sir are an !@#$
Reply Quote

Current Gear
+
= 135

+

- OR -

+

adding percents? srly?

that mean if i somehow i manage to get both my damage reductions from resists and armor above 50% (66% and 71% for my monk) i'll be immune to damage, take negative damage or be healed by that damage?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
I messed up and did my math wrong. I don't want to try and hide my mistakes but I also do not want to mislead people so I am going to edit my original post. Thanks everyone for quickly letting me know.
Reply Quote
View profile
I have no affiliation with d3up, I discovered it last week and I like it a lot.
All your questions will be answered (unless his calculations are wrong :( )

http://d3up.com/b/125097
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]