Diablo® III

Why not remove botters by adding captcha?

(Locked)

Just as the topic states - why not remove botters by adding captcha? This could work like this, but other ways are possible too: while being ingame (running and farming) there will be one or two random pauses (for all players if there's more than one player in current game); with a message that will force player to type a correct word or signs (few mins to reply allowed). This could be adjusted to not be a big issue for real players - once or two in like 6-8 hours of play - is that really a problem, when we could have a bot free game with great AH experience?

Accounts that doesn't reply to captcha numerous times, can be flagged and temp banned first with a warning, than permanently. If that's too harsh - they could be just checked for possible bot farming. It could be a part of Blizzard's Terms of Use.

Please sign petition with a post, add sticky request, give a rating to the main post. Let's make this game bot-free!

And to all sceptics out there: captcha can be changed in many ways over time, to be even a safer method to determine, who actually is playing the game.
I think Blizz should focus more on making it extremely difficult for bot farmers to make new accounts quickly and easily. Maybe some real investment is needed both information and time wise to get an account made... like some serious verification or something.

And a huge "No" to captcha. Bots will get around it easily (like leaving the game and reentering regularly) and it will just annoy players far more.
Edited by Cujo#1162 on 11/21/2012 5:41 AM PST
i'm all for removing bots from the game, however i would be pissed if captcha is implemented, to be rather frank.

why should players be inconvenienced, i see this as something that blizz needs to fix/prevent at the backend and not involve end users to chip in. i believe they're doing their best to exterminate bots from the game, it's an ongoing process and effort, and whatever measures that they're taking now i hope it will be effective or get better and better.

is it 100%? ofcoz not. but i still support this method over requiring users input in-game. will captcha be 100% effective? ofcoz not. a fulltime botter will be running 3 sessions on 3 PCs at same time, occasionally glancing at the monitors while reading newspapers and sipping coffee.
View profile
They will just rewrite the bot after 1 day :/
good luck trying to read that captcha while you are in the middle of fighting uber boss with only 5min left in nv.
11/21/2012 06:15 AMPosted by d35366
good luck trying to read that captcha while you are in the middle of fighting uber boss with only 5min left in nv.

captcha every 20 new games created . Or are you to retarded to try to understand that . Obviously there not gona puyt a captcha up in the middle of battle. Funny how stupid some ppl are.
Bots can read captchas, while I often failed as human to read them.

So you really want that I don't bother with the game anymore, while the botters can play the game without any problem.
No captchas. This game uses personal information in order to be able to play therefore if someone would use a bug, exploit, cheat, the creator of the game would be able to identify that person.

As Cujo said, trying to come up with different types of anti-botting is wrong. Blizz just has to take care of the billions of registrations made by botters.
WHat I have trouble understanding is how gamers have become such freaking whine bags about being ""inconvinienced". Self entitled ignorant little brats. You want botters out of the picture but absolutely refuse to even give a split second of your time so they can make sure it's a real person behind the keyboard.

Until people grow up and learn you gotta give a little to get a little this game will continue to be botters paradise.
11/21/2012 06:19 AMPosted by welly321

captcha every 20 new games created . Or are you to retarded to try to understand that . Obviously there not gona puyt a captcha up in the middle of battle. Funny how stupid some ppl are.

I've seen someone suggest captcha every 10-40 minutes play time. OP here suggested every 6-8 hours. So don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat.

I've seen someone suggest captcha every 10-40 minutes play time. OP here suggested every 6-8 hours. So don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat.

I've seen someone create a new thread suggesting a captcha every 40 minutes on the forums. It's a stupid and unnecessary idea. Bots can be programmed to bypass captchas without much difficulty.

It's blatantly simple to find bots, Blizzard just refuses to do it for some reason. If someone has 200k elite kills, full GF and pickup radius gear and hasn't left Hell, there's probably something fishy going on. Yet there were hundreds of accounts that did just that.

In other words, Blizzard needs to give a single !@#$ about the problem. Just one %^-* given would make a massive difference.
Edited by Zoid#1297 on 11/21/2012 10:04 AM PST
1) Botting programs can get around captcha

2) Those who can't would just manually input the captcha code and still get ahead. It's not like they'd give up on real money benefits of botting because of something that takes them 5 seconds every once and a while.

End Result: You inconvenience genuine players without stopping the problem.
Blizzard Employee
Please keep discussions regarding bots to one thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200050113
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]