Diablo® III

~ Uber Boss Guide ~

~~ Introduction ~~

Edit (June 19,2013): Please keep in mind this is a very basic "how-to" for how Ubers are done. Most of the information is SLIGHTLY outdated (Although, should still apply 99% of the time), because the thread was created over 7 months ago. Thanks :)

For this guide I will assume that the reader knows absolutely nothing about the Uber Boss process, because I'm sure there are some people who do not.

2--> Uber Requirements / Suggestions
3--> The Fights
4--> Reader Q & A

~~ Getting the Keys ~~

In order to begin fighting Uber Bosses for the ultimate goal of getting a HellFire Ring, one must first make "Machines". These machines are made by gathering keys from Acts 1, 2, & 3, and making it using a plan found in Act 4.

To get the keys, you must kill the designated "Key Warden" in the first 3 acts. Each warden is unique in fighting style, appearance, and difficulty. Each warden also drops a key unique to that act (meaning key drops are not "random" in the sense that in order to get the Key of Destruction, you MUST kill the Act 1 Keywarden).

Following the rules of MP level, the wardens will have a better chance of dropping the keys at higher MP levels (10% chance at MP1, 20% chance at MP2, 30% chance at MP3, etc... etc...). It is suggested for most people to do "key runs" at MP 2 or 3 (if you can), because MP0 and MP1 require a fair bit of luck or a fair bit of trying to get a key.

Note: Always get 5 stacks before attempting to kill the wardens.

Act 1 Key Warden:
Location - Fields of Misery
Difficulty - 3/10 (relative to the average elite pack [assuming the average elite pack is a 5/10])
Special Attacks - Jailer/Molten - he also throws spears and launches a circular radius of fire balls at all players.
Key Name - Key of Destruction

Act 2 Key Warden:
Location - Oasis
Difficulty - Differs --> Range Chars - 10/10 ..... Melee Chars - 4/10
Special Attacks --> Vortex/Mortar/Electrified/Missile Dampening - He also spins and reflects projectiles back at players
Key Name - Key of Hate

Act 3 Key Warden:
Location - Stonefort
Difficulty - 5/10
Special Attacks --> Teleport/Frozen - He doesn't cast the standard frozen, he instead drops frozen bombs from the sky that don't actually freeze you, but slow you and deal substantial damage
Key Name - Key of Terror

Act 4 Plan Keeper:
Location - Silver Spire Level 1
Difficulty - 9/10
Special Attacks - Jailer/Knockback/Nightmare - He also casts a curse attack that reduces all healing effects (regen/LoH) by 75%. He can also cast a large circle of fire that hurts anyone who is inside it.
NOTES: Only need to get the Machine Plan ONCE, and beware of this warden. Suggested to run on MP 1 or 2

Warning: Act 4 is NOT friendly to anyone. Beware of hard mobs and difficult elites on your way to getting 5 stacks for the Keywardens.

Once you have all 3 keys + the plan, teach the plan to your blacksmith and the Infernal Machine should be under the weapons tab.
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 6/19/2013 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
~~ Uber Boss Requirements/Suggestions ~~

It is suggested that a player is COMFORTABLY farming that at any given MP level before attempting the uber bosses at the MP level above it.
--Meaning: If I am comfortably farming MP3 before I start attempting MP 3 or 4 ubers.

Note: Always get 5 stacks before fighting the uber bosses.
-- It is also suggested to kill the Act 1 keywarden during this point, as you're already in the act with 5 stacks

Note: All ubers have 8 minute enrage timer

~~ Suggested Teams ~~

*Always run with 4 players. Not only will it help in the process of killing ubers, but it will also allow all players to maximize their chance at a ring by having everyone provide machines to the run*

Teamate 1 - A tank. Doesn't have to be a cookie cutter tank barb, but someone who can take enough damage to distract 1 uber for 80% of the fight.
-- Likely a Barb or Monk

Teamate 2 - A crowd control character. Someone who can stun or lock down one of the ubers
-- A cm/ww Wiz or a monk using a stun fist. If this slot is being filled by a monk, he/she MUST be running conviction for the team DPS boost

Teamate 3 - Balanced DPS Character. Usually best filled by a strong character who is slightly more offensive than they are defensive, but can still take a hit or 2 if they must
-- Almost always best filled by a Witch Doctor for team buffs and overall DPS diversity.

Teamate 4 - All out DPS. Someone who is packing some serious damage and can also live through a mistake or 2
-- Almost always best filled by a DH or a well geared offensive wizard

~~ Suggested Team Specs ~~

Anyone looking to run ubers above MP4 should have about 500k unbuffed EHP each, and a combined team dps of 250-300k+ (Before conviction).

~~ Getting Started ~~

Once you have a few machines (suggested 3), find a well geared team who all have similar amounts of machines. Meet up and open up an Act 1 Chapter 10 (if it is not chapter 10, you cannot fight ubers) game on your desired MP level.

Once in the game, the best route is normally to clear festering woods for 3-5 stacks (depending on the amount of elites/events outside), and then proceed to the Fields of Misery for the final few stacks + the keywarden.]

Note: Save important shrines along the way (protection/frenzy/Empowered)

Once you have 5 stacks and your team is ready, proceed to the house located to the right of the merchant/healer (just north east of the blacksmith) and break down the door.

Once inside, someone must right click one of their machines and 1 of 3 random portals will open...

Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 11/23/2012 7:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
~~ The Fights ~~

Realm of Discord - Skeleton King + Magda

Difficulty - Hardest for Range/Low EHP Characters

Strategy:
- All 4 players MUST pile Skeleton King. He is a massive threat to everybody's safety. The CM/WW Wiz or Stun Monk should be trying their best to lock him down

- Keep a close eye on Magda. She will be periodically dropping Arcane beams and locust swarms.
--- Alone this aren't overly threatening, but several beams or a locust swarm + a Skeleton King homerun swing could be the end of your character

- Once the Skeleton King is downed, everyone should proceed to fighting Magda

- Do NOT get her trapped in corners, as she will often just drop 2-3 arcane beams at her feet and make it near impossible for certain players to get in and damage her.
--- If she is trapped in a corner of one of the staircases at the southern corners of the map, everyone should pull back (Witch Doctors and monks should get their pets/allies off of her) and wait for her to come back into the open

- Much like her actual Act 2 boss fight, at 3/4 - 1/2 - & 1/4 life, she will put up a defensive orb and summon berserker demons. Swiftly kill them to have her drop her shields and begin to kill her again
--- Make sure to stop hitting her when her health stops moving, there is a bug where if you continue to proc CC effects on her she will just keep fighting and not summon demons

A successful drop will result in a Spine, 1 of the 3 parts needed to get a Hellfire ring.

Realm of Chaos - Ghom and Rakanoth

Difficulty - Easiest of the 3 Fights

Strategy:
- The tank should immediately rush to Rakanoth and begin fighting him, keeping him as far away from Ghom as possible.

- The 3 other characters must begin killing Ghom as quickly as they can, hopefully preventing him from casting too many poison clouds

- Once Ghom is dead, all 4 players should promptly kill Rakanoth.
--- Rakanoth will occasionally summon Soul Rippers/Lashers in packs of 2. Simply have one of the DPS players kill them of they get in the way of killing Ghom.

A successful run should result in a Devils Fang Ring part

Realm of Turmoil - Zoltun Kulle and SiegeBreaker

Difficulty - Relatively difficult, mostly due to ZK. Most likely boss fight to hit enrage timer

Strategy:
- Like before, the tank should immediately rush Siegebreaker and take him out of the equation

- 3 DPS characters should be on ZK, with the cm/ww or stun monk trying their best to prevent him from casting his spells
--- He can teleport and vanish for a few seconds at a time, reappearing across the map
---- He can cast slow time, this is a SERIOUS slow down, it is 10 fold more effective than his Act 2 slow time
----- He can cast fire balls that deal relatively harmful DPS
------ He casts his roof collapse that can easily reduce a ranged class to 1/2 life
------- He casts tornados that deal SUBSTANTIAL damage and should not be taken lightly. Keep an eye out for them.

- Do your best to kill ZK as quickly as possible, and then all 4 players can finish Siegebreaker
--- Warning: As in his Act 3 fights, he reflects damage. Careful high DPS range characters.
- DO NOT stun/freeze SB while he has a teamate picked up. Said teamate can take damage form lingering ZK tornados while in the air

A successful Run should result in a Vengeful Eye

Once you have all 3 parts, go to Act 2 and buy the ring plan (costs 2M, only need to buy it once) off the little girl merchant in town. Craft the ring with the gem crafter.

You have a choice of what main stat you would like and the ring will automatically roll that stat + 35% EXP + 4 random properties. It also automatically rolls its "fire ball launch" affix.
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 12/10/2012 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
~~ Important Questions ~~

- Do Uber bosses drop Health Globes? - No, but Skelly King, Magda, and Rakanoth all summon minions who do. I have had situations in an uber run where a teamate gets low health and has their potions on cool down, and I will stop freezing SK and allow him to summon his minions for us to get some health globes.

-
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 12/10/2012 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hmm. It's up for now, I might change some things later
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for this!
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Thominator
Thanks a lot for this!

No problem! Good luck
Reply Quote
might be worth mentioning that you only need the blacksmith and hellfire plans once (hellfire ring plans are 2m gold). seemed like common knowledge to me but i met several people under the impression that you needed the BS plans each time.

i read somewhere that a higher level player (possibly palatinae) suggested you should fight the act 4 keywarden at 1 or 2 mp levels lower than what you are currently comfortable with. this was also my experience as well. he almost killed me on mp2 at a time when mp3 was no trouble at all. perhaps this is more for people who rely heavily on life regen or LoH. im just thankful i had spirit vessel haha.

just figured id toss on a second opinion haha.

great guide, definitely worth a read for anyone thinking of attempting ubers. thanks dutch :)
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 11/22/2012 7:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
might be worth mentioning that you only need the blacksmith and hellfire plans once (hellfire ring plans are 2m gold). seemed like common knowledge to me but i met several people under the impression that you needed the BS plans each time.

i read somewhere that a higher level player (possibly palatinae) suggested you should fight the act 4 keywarden at 1 or 2 mp levels lower than what you are currently comfortable with. this was also my experience as well. he almost killed me on mp2 at a time when mp3 was no trouble at all. perhaps this is more for people who rely heavily on life regen or LoH. im just thankful i had spirit vessel haha.

just figured id toss on a second opinion haha.

great guide, definitely worth a read for anyone thinking of attempting ubers. thanks dutch :)

Agreed. Will add in before I head to my meeting
Reply Quote
Hardest part is finding players :( About to get my second set of 3 machines and still havnt found anyone to share machines with..
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide. Have any tips for build changes when fighting the users? It makes sense to swap out the ruby in my helm for an amethyst, but I suppose there are other things too. I use a WD and usually run rain of toads, acid rain, soul harvest, mass confusion w/ paranoia (-15 sec cd from a last breath) and dogs. I assume since your only fighting two people at once acid rain would not be as good as bears or acid cloud lob blob bomb. Are dogs worth it or is the garg better? What about soul harvest. I'm obviously not going to get five stacks from it so is something else better? I could use big bad voodoo to help boost the group but with 120 s cd is it worth it?

With that said. I'm looking for a group to farm for keys. I've done act 1 mp1 kw solo but I've geared up since then. If anyone wants to group for mp1 or mp2 I'm up for it. Add me.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide. Have any tips for build changes when fighting the users? It makes sense to swap out the ruby in my helm for an amethyst, but I suppose there are other things too. I use a WD and usually run rain of toads, acid rain, soul harvest, mass confusion w/ paranoia (-15 sec cd from a last breath) and dogs. I assume since your only fighting two people at once acid rain would not be as good as bears or acid cloud lob blob bomb. Are dogs worth it or is the garg better? What about soul harvest. I'm obviously not going to get five stacks from it so is something else better? I could use big bad voodoo to help boost the group but with 120 s cd is it worth it?

With that said. I'm looking for a group to farm for keys. I've done act 1 mp1 kw solo but I've geared up since then. If anyone wants to group for mp1 or mp2 I'm up for it. Add me.

I'd love to help but honestly, of my 900+ hours on D3, I have 1 hour and 15 minutes on a WD XD I hate the class, no offence of course, just personal preference.

But, I would 100% suggest getting rid of acid rain or w/e it is (I used it briefly on my low level WD) and replacing it with bears. The more DPS you can pump out, the less likely your team is to hit enrage timers. And I assure you if you guys are under DPSing and don't make the kills on time, you will all lose your chars. :/

A good idea would be to swap to bears and see if (once you find a team) you guys are ok with ubers.

Sometimes sacrificing a machine to test an MP2 uber run, and timing it, is worth saving your characters. Better to do that and realize "Hey guys, we were a little slow on MP2, maybe we should save our machines until we're a bit higher DPS", than it is to watch the clock slowly click towards 8 minutes (ZK and SB enrage timer) and then watch ZK teleport and 1 hit you.

Take it slow. Keep in mind my team and I sometime struggle with SK + Magda on MP 5 and we're running 300k dps + conviction + I'm freezing bosses 1/2 the fight. Sometimes, like with elites and bad affixes, a worst case scenario can present itself, and it's really best to make sure that you're prepared for anything and everything before you start going higher MP

Nothing more terrifying than watching 3 of Magda's arcane beams circle around to you, all hitting you at the exact same time to shatter your diamond skin and your character slowly looks up as SK is smashing you in the face with his 2h. Can't always prepare for the worst case scenario, but a few easy runs will teach you to keep your cool.

My first uber run was on MP5 and I was shaky to say the least
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 11/22/2012 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 10:34 AMPosted by TheChemicals
ive yet to even attempt to gather these items and do the runs

It'll come. When you're at a point in the game where you feel really beefy, or get sort of bored of farming, you'll want to do them
Reply Quote
They're also kind of fun at certain points just to get a real good rush. Kinda like fighting a super hard elite pack back-to-back-to-back
Reply Quote
LOL, Act 2 Warden 10/10 for ranged characters.

About 90% of the time I easily get him to stay just offscreen while I throw Leaping Spiders at him. Easiest foe in the game for my WD.
Reply Quote
LOL, Act 2 Warden 10/10 for ranged characters.

About 90% of the time I easily get him to stay just offscreen while I throw Leaping Spiders at him. Easiest foe in the game for my WD.

I wouldn't even consider WD as range characters anymore.

You're like barbs with pets and monk heals, OP class.

When you're a wiz/DH and 3-4 of his mortars can rip away 3/4 of your life just from one miss-step, it's hard. Also, we don't get to proc SV if we screw the pooch

:)
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 11/23/2012 5:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for making one for the HC community Dutch, I have one question and some comments:

Question:

1) I don't know anyone in the HC community who has hit the enrage timer on the ubers, can you describe what happens for each encounter? Are there any enrage situations where it is a good idea to just finish the fight if it's close?

Comments:

1) I disagree about your assessments of the keywarden difficulties.

a) The A1 keywarden is much easier than an average elite in my opinion, his attacks are sporadic and don't do much damage. I would have rated him 2/10.
b) I think the A2 keywarden is dangerous to ranged characters but you may have overstated it a bit, I would have labeled him 7/10, since he is more dangerous than most elites but nothing crazy. He is extremely easy for melee characters, since you are almost unaffected by missile dampening, vortex, and mortar. His spin attack hurts a bit but no melee character should have a problem with him, about 3/10.
c) I also think you have overrated the difficulty of the A3 keywarden, he is only dangerous if he spawns with a pack on him. After his nerf I consider him to be only slightly harder than the A1 keywarden for a melee class, it's possible he's more frustrating for a ranged class, but he is at most, about as difficult as a random pack.
d) I think you have vastly underrated the difficulty of the A4 keywarden and that he deserves a special section, since the fight is different from anything else in the game. I would emphasize that his healing debuff is more powerful than it sounds, it makes him more or less impossible to tank, and it is very dangerous to run away from him if you get into trouble. I am happy to write a guide for him if you want (tl;dr preview - fight him near the entrance of the zone). For melee classes, he is merely 10/10 in difficulty (something slightly more dangerous than a double pack). For ranged characters without a ton of EHP, your scale is not appropriate, since death is incredibly likely.

2) You should include that the enrage timer is 8 minutes per uber encounter.

3) I disagree about your ghom/rakanoth strategy, but it is possible they are similar since this fight is so easy. As the stun monk in my groups, I have found that it's better to just 100% pile on ghom, since his poison is far more dangerous than rakanoth's sporadic attacks. Anyway, this fight is so easy that you could basically do anything you want.

4) You should mention that if you stun Maghda repeatedly when she's supposed to shield up and spawn the berserkers, you can't damage her. Just back off on CC'ing her when this happens and she will put her shield up as usual.

5) You should mention the Maghda framerate lag bug. Test if it affects you by going to Maghda's Lair in A2 and running around the arena in circles for 2 minutes. If your framerate starts dropping, you are affected by this bug.

6) I think you are being overly conservative in your estimate of the required DPS for the encounters, if there is a conviction monk in the group, ~180K group DPS would be enough for MP4. If there isn't, then about 260k DPS would be okay.

7) Remember to switch to an amethyst in helm for the encounters. It sounds stupid, but a lot of people forget.

8) I think the most important thing most people are looking for in an ubers guide is class-specific information. Most ideal builds for ubers are very different from ideal builds for farming, and in fact this can make getting the 5 stacks a bit more challenging. I am happy to contribute the monk section but I am not knowledgable enough about the other classes to do them.
Reply Quote
1) Someone just yesterday told me they hit the enrage timer on ZK. RIP all 4 of them. His enrage is the same as his boss fight, if I'm not mistake. Teleports to you and 1 hit you. If this is the case, I'd assume that all bosses are the same as their boss fights (Ghom layers poison on whole map, for example)

Comments:

a) Likely so
b) Disagree. Bring a wizard to him and you will see he is a 10/10. The fact that my wiz is not only #3 in US, but tankier than the average wiz, and I don't even bother doing A2 MP1 key runs says a lot. He's arguably harder than the hardest MP 3 elite packs I bump into during farm runs (Arcane/vortex/frozen/molten phasebeasts, for instance). But, having never fought him on melee and only hearing melee people discuss him, I suppose he could be a 3/10 for melee.
c) As a ranged player, I'm slightly biased on the difficulty ratings
d) Again, as a ranged player, I'm slightly biased on the difficulty ratings. I don't rely on 2000+ LoH like a monk would, or 2000+ Regen like a barb would. Generally speaking, if my health goes too low during any point in my average runs my regens aren't going to help too much and I usually just work on potting/health globing. So, I agree with your comment, but from my perspective is what I tried to rate them by

2) Will add

3) I find his poison to be a joke. The only player it should really affect is a ranged class with low regen. With my diamond skin I almost never take damage (meaning I can usually cast it again in time to avoid damage, even with only 1 target to hit). Also, I have an issue with Rakanoth knocking people back and pushing people around. A ww barb in my game took some serious damage from him one time, though I'm not sure exactly what he was hit with.

I personally feel that if you have a tank in your game with 20-25k dps they are better served keeping rakanoth out of the picture, because realistically speaking, who cares about 20k dps when the other 3 players are dealing 200k+

4) Will do

5) Never heard of it but I guess I'll add

6) Likely true

7) As someone who sees no point in running ruby gems, I don't think of these things.

8) Possibly true, but as someone who hates WD, finds barbs to be a snore, and really only enjoys playing a wizard, this was the most I could try to offer players in the way of an Uber guide. I could post a wizard only uber guide but I feel that for the maybe 10-15 wizards frequenting these forums (I'd say thats an over-estimate) it's not worth singling the class out and discussing each possible build. I also feel like your build should be less about you and more about your team. But again, personal opinion

Thanks for your input
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]