Diablo® III

Regarding Magic Find.....and Idiots

All accusations are to be assumed false. As none of them are proven.
"From my experience..."
"Well, I had 300 MF, but no legendary 10 runs"
"No, no.. MP 5 gives you better loot"
"Switching characters can improve your chances"
"Try restarting the game, gives you a better chance of finding legs"
"No. MF is broken!"
"The chances of a legendary is 1/1000 elites"

This right here is called a game guide.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find

Read the fine print. This is all we know that is 100% fact. All other accusations, as far as we know are false.

This is directly from the game guide. Please learn to read before making bold assumptions

"Magic find affects the quality of items you acquire from killing enemies (but not treasure chests, vases, weapon racks, or other environmental objects). It doesn’t give you a chance to get more items on a given kill – instead, it increases the chance that an item you find will be magical, and more potent than it would be otherwise." - Blizzard Game Guide

This statement means that MF will:
1) Have a better chance to find"rare" "magic" and "legendary" items
2) Have a better chance get MORE affixes on those rares.

Just because you people are having bad luck you rant about MF. Trust me if you ran on 0% MF for 10,000 runs, then ran on 200% MF for 10,000 runs, I'll bet you will get:

More legendaries
More better rolled rares (as in more 5-6 affix rares, thus ultimately improving overall quality of rares)

It increases your "base drop rate" while also increasing your chances of getting MORE affixes.

If you do not have two tests with a large sample size, like 10,000 runs ...Which I know none of you do, and a variable (Magic find in this case) then your

Argument / Data / Assumption / Conclusion is invalid.
Edited by Apophis#1181 on 12/18/2012 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
People often look for some logic to justify why things aren't working in their favor even if the facts/math do not support it. That's why some people hate RNG because it demoralizes your skill by the possibility of offering underwhelming rewards for your time and skill. However, RNG is the core of this game and thus you have to simply suggest that if you don't like it, then this isn't the game for you.
Edited by ElevenEleven#1177 on 11/19/2012 9:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 09:02 PMPosted by tameraine
If you want to see a chance to have MORE legendaries, play at a higher MP. If you want the chance to get BETTER legendaries, roll MF gear. Its pretty simple and I do not understand how anyone could not understand MF....

Took this of another thread. Oh boy this is priceless.

Higher MP = More legendaries
Higher MF = Better legendaries

Seems legit.

Bahah. This person is only correct by one thing. Its pretty simple and I do not understand how anyone could not understand MF
Reply Quote
It is one and the same. Higher MP = higher MF.

I find a lot more legendaries on MP1 than higher MPs. There have been a lot of statistical threads about MF. It works, but you need to do enough runs with/without it to notice.

There's always random luck, some accounts are just lucky or something, but for others boasting MF gives them a fighting chance.
Reply Quote
It is one and the same. Higher MP = higher MF.

I find a lot more legendaries on MP1 than higher MPs. There have been a lot of statistical threads about MF. It works, but you need to do enough runs with/without it to notice.

There's always random luck, some accounts are just lucky or something, but for others boasting MF gives them a fighting chance.

Like I said, two tests with a large sample size and a variable.

And regarding luck..if the sample size is large enough, the luck streaks and the dry streaks should even out. It may be RNG. But if i were to run two tests of 0 and 300 MF, 1 million times, there would be an unquestionable difference between the two
Reply Quote
it's because the term "quality" in relation to items is rather confusing.

If there were different colors for 4/5/6-affix items it would be obvious that mf increases the quantity of those items.
But as it is, when you find 100 rares and with 0 mf there are 5 6-affix items and with 300mf there are 20, you'd only notice it as quality, and only if the rolls are good, while in reality it only increases the amount of items with higher affix-numbers.

If you say MF increases quality the average player thinks of higher or better rolls, and thats wrong.
If it's explained as quantity of many-affix-items it's fool-proof.

Mf may not increase the amount of total items you find, but MORE (quantity) of them will have 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 (legendary) affixes.
Reply Quote

If you do not have two tests with a large sample size, like 10,000 runs ...Which I know none of you don't, .

Errr. A double negative.

I don't not have 10,000 runs? Wow, you happen to be very wrong. I might have 500 spread over 7 characters.

Meanwhile, how did you learn to rant so long and say absolutely nothing intellegent? Your wealh ignorance astounds me.
Reply Quote

If you do not have two tests with a large sample size, like 10,000 runs ...Which I know none of you don't, .

Errr. A double negative.

I don't not have 10,000 runs? Wow, you happen to be very wrong. I might have 500 spread over 7 characters.

Meanwhile, how did you learn to rant so long and say absolutely nothing intellegent? Your wealh ignorance astounds me.

Not a double negative.
"If you don't have it, which I know you don't" is not read as "I know you don't don't have it"
Perhaps not grammatically flawless. But it is a common saying.
Edited by Apophis#1181 on 11/19/2012 9:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
cool story bro, tell me more
Reply Quote
Bumping this old topic since people still seem to not understand.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Apophis
"Magic find affects the quality of items you acquire from killing enemies (but not treasure chests, vases, weapon racks, or other environmental objects). It doesn’t give you a chance to get more items on a given kill – instead, it increases the chance that an item you find will be magical, and more potent than it would be otherwise." - Blizzard Game Guide

The problem is....The quality of items still sucks no matter what your magic find is. You can be 0 or over 400. All the yellow rolls in the game suck. Same with legs....
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Moe
The problem is....The quality of items still sucks no matter what your magic find is. You can be 0 or over 400. All the yellow rolls in the game suck. Same with legs....

yes but with more you have a higher chance of getting a good one. also, it depends on what you mean by quality. it can effect the # of affixes on a rare item but not the individual stat rolls.
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Moe

That's not what is means by quality. It just means that MF increases your chances of getting more affixes.
Like 400% MF will give you more chances to get Crit chance, dmg and attack speed on your amulets. It doesn't do that.

And MF doesn't affect the quality of legendaries because legendaries have set affixes and set random properties. A mempo of twilight will always have those same affixes and only one random property, regardless of MF
Edited by Apophis#1181 on 12/18/2012 10:35 AM PST
Reply Quote

Errr. A double negative.

Not a double negative.
"If you don't have it, which I know you don't" is not read as "I know you don't don't have it"
Perhaps not grammatically flawless. But it is a common saying.

I believe the original poster was referring to the "none of you don't" part - as if none of them don't have it - then all of them do. Whereas in the example you wrote, you remove the "none" part allowing it to make sense =)

But just my two cents - Carry on!
Reply Quote

Indeed. The overall item quality is so crappy that pretty much anything that's not perfect will suck. I get 6 affix rares all the time, and even legs, but they're so terrible (both affix combos and affix roles) that they're pretty much vendor trash all the time. Too much trash everywhere, something that got amplified by increasing drop rates instead of item quality.
Reply Quote
with 0 MF, somebody should expect 4 leg/set per 1000 elite kills...
with 300mf, somebody should expect 4 x (1+3) = 16 leg/set per 1000 elite kills...

4/1000? Where did you get that...

12/18/2012 10:54 AMPosted by HainKurt
when you restart the game, you probably connect to different servers which may affect the game play...

12/18/2012 10:54 AMPosted by HainKurt
switching characters will effect the mf and nobody knows wth is in their drop logic... so there might be some bonus for characters who did not play a long time... lots of people reported this...

Uncertainty proves nothing, that is what I am trying to get at.
Edited by Apophis#1181 on 12/18/2012 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yes OP I hope everyone reads this. However, one thing I cannot explain is why do I NEVER get a rare on NV4. I get rares on 1,2,3 and 5NV, but NEVER 4.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]