Diablo® III

Most bots in this game can be removed easily

Anyone who has ever scripted before knows what im talking about...ive scripted for years on single player game bots...none that would effect an online community.

Bots use Pixel colors and some use pic files to ID objects in game.Any botter needs static images and colors to create an efficiant bot.Without static images and colors theres nothing to script.

The ingame botters use the minimap as there static image...there icon is blue...the other players are white...So u make a script that sees your blue spot on the map as a reference point...you then calculate the direction and distance to the white circle with alittle math and that will let you know where to click to move in the direction to the player your following.

They just constantly do this while you kill everything.If they idle for a few seconds not moving the script says to teleport back to town and use another flag...this is there error defence basically.

The point is since static images and static colors on the minimap are what there using... make the minimap dynamic or remove it all together.The bots will have no static reference point and will have no way to identify anything.

No different than anything players make bots for...same as the ah...make things more dynamic and it will be much harder if not impossible to script

As for AH bots they can do what they use to block password spammers...when u want to buy an item you have to enter a picture based code with numbers and letters first
Edited by Stealthe#1993 on 11/20/2012 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
The D3 captcha should be D3 themed. So instead of typing letters, it should be based on a jumble of gear, and a character in various poses. The player should have to drag 4 different pieces of gear in jumbled up pile to their correct places. The correct places would be easy to code, and stuff will snap in when it is close. Jumbling the pieces together will make it hard for the AI/bots to ID the pieces (gloves, pants, chests, helms weapons, etc., all with existing artwork all in place), and the various poses (kicking, jumping, throwing, in any number of degrees that the character will do in its usual animations) will also make it computationally difficult for the BOTs to identify the locations.

The captcha should pop up every random number of portals (between 5 and 20) town portals. Bliz will probably have to test to determine the best RNG parameter to use. And answering a captcha correcrtly should earn the player an extra drop chance, similar to breaking a vase. Answering it wrong for 3 tries should get the player to lose their NV stack. Answering it wrong 2 additional times, should get the player disconnected.

nice post...this is what i like non trolling nice honest posts...so hard to find...

i agree this would definitly help as well
I would like to see them use more dynamic things in the game as well to stop bots too as this way they will not have to ban players and argue with them...those players just wont be able to do it anymore
Edited by Stealthe#1993 on 11/20/2012 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
@OP,

Nice layout of the basics, interesting that they have not done what you have described to detour bots. Seems pretty straight forward. Personally if I was working on a game and it was getting "hacked" I would be extremely pissed that it is happening and would want to stop it. 10+ years in the making and now it is being "hacked". I would want to stop it as soon as I could, regardless if it made my company money or not. It is a pride thing among developers or at least I would hope it is.
Reply Quote
@OP,

Nice layout of the basics, interesting that they have not done what you have described to detour bots. Seems pretty straight forward. Personally if I was working on a game and it was getting "hacked" I would be extremely pissed that it is happening and would want to stop it. 10+ years in the making and now it is being "hacked". I would want to stop it as soon as I could, regardless if it made my company money or not. It is a pride thing among developers or at least I would hope it is.

THx...maybe they dont want to catch em who knows but for game makers this should be obvious...Botters have been exploiting the mini maps on games for along time this should not be a surprise to them
Reply Quote
Good idea.

These "dynamic minimap icons" can come in the form of:

1. A face icon, different for each class. Or even a customizable by players with 5 faces and 10 hair colors to choose from.

2. Face changes look on HP level, for example, normal at full health, grimace at half, pale and ashen at 20%, grayed out on dealth

3. A flame frames the minimap icon when player is within the same screen as an elite

This makes them an actual tool for displaying teammate status. It wouldnt stop all bots obviously, but it should be enough to stop the public games type.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 11/20/2012 3:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
This was a pretty dumb post I don't mean that personally. You have supplied no real solution to stopping bots. If you take away the minimap altogether just to stop bots... lets take away the whole game instead so they really can't bot. Taking away the minimap will not stop bots in the first place. As you said at the beginning some bots use pixel colors these bots will not be stopped unless you change every color in the game randomly after every game restart that is why they use these methods because they are solid methods and hard to counter.

Adding in capcha codes and a bunch of other nonsense will not stop bots either. Last time I check my website spammer and email grabber bypasses capchas all day long.

Why add all this stuff or remove stuff that will dramatically effect the players gameplay for no reason at all just to stop the public botters? There will be hundreds of private bots that will still get past and run flawlessly.

It's 2012 this is the new gaming era this is what kids do they buy hacks or bots so they have the advantage over you. Anything is hackable, anything is bypassable. The safest game in the world is no game at all. The safest computer in the world is sealed in concrete and no internet connection see what I'm getting at here?

You clearly have no idea of how bots are made...please do some scripting b4 adding input...
i have gave a clear way to stop the bots and that was changing the minimap...that was my solution...the other colors in the game wont help a botter because there dynamic when you move...the mini map is key
Edited by Stealthe#1993 on 11/20/2012 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
This was a pretty dumb post I don't mean that personally. You have supplied no real solution to stopping bots. If you take away the minimap altogether just to stop bots... lets take away the whole game instead so they really can't bot. Taking away the minimap will not stop bots in the first place. As you said at the beginning some bots use pixel colors these bots will not be stopped unless you change every color in the game randomly after every game restart that is why they use these methods because they are solid methods and hard to counter.

Adding in capcha codes and a bunch of other nonsense will not stop bots either. Last time I check my website spammer and email grabber bypasses capchas all day long.

Why add all this stuff or remove stuff that will dramatically effect the players gameplay for no reason at all just to stop the public botters? There will be hundreds of private bots that will still get past and run flawlessly.

It's 2012 this is the new gaming era this is what kids do they buy hacks or bots so they have the advantage over you. Anything is hackable, anything is bypassable. The safest game in the world is no game at all. The safest computer in the world is sealed in concrete and no internet connection see what I'm getting at here?

1. Read the opening post, he isn't talking about taking away the minimap.

2. Even Bank's ATM gets hacked. According to you they should just put a paper box for any one who needs money since it is so easy to hack and impossible to protect.

3. Some kids do !@#$%^, therefore -*!@#$ should be legalized

4. Some religious fanatic blew up a church, it is hopeless to stop them, let's just paint some bullseye for them to use.
Reply Quote
The D3 captcha should be D3 themed. So instead of typing letters, it should be based on a jumble of gear, and a character in various poses. The player should have to drag 4 different pieces of gear in jumbled up pile to their correct places. The correct places would be easy to code, and stuff will snap in when it is close. Jumbling the pieces together will make it hard for the AI/bots to ID the pieces (gloves, pants, chests, helms weapons, etc., all with existing artwork all in place), and the various poses (kicking, jumping, throwing, in any number of degrees that the character will do in its usual animations) will also make it computationally difficult for the BOTs to identify the locations.

The captcha should pop up every random number of portals (between 5 and 20) town portals. Bliz will probably have to test to determine the best RNG parameter to use. And answering a captcha correcrtly should earn the player an extra drop chance, similar to breaking a vase. Answering it wrong for 3 tries should get the player to lose their NV stack. Answering it wrong 2 additional times, should get the player disconnected.

nice post...this is what i like non trolling nice honest posts...so hard to find...

Except that he/she is polluting every single thread with it....
Reply Quote
Have faith, they will not let the game fail cause of "hacking". They want the expansion to sell 6+ million on the first day. They will start patching the relationship with the consumer base soon.
Reply Quote
View profile

As for AH bots they can do what they use to block password spammers...when u want to buy an item you have to enter a picture based code with numbers and letters first

oh a text captcha, cause you cant hire a factory full of chinese/indians who type captchas for a living, oh wait, you can, you don't even need to find a factory either there are plenty out there already $2/1000 or more
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Zbest
Have faith, they will not let the game fail cause of "hacking". They want the expansion to sell 6+ million on the first day. They will start patching the relationship with the consumer base soon.

You mean blizzard "soon"?

Because they haven't done any patching with me since PTR when a thousand wizards are telling Blizzard they aren't the slightest fooled by Blizzard's baldfaced lie of an excuse on the energy tornado nerf.
Reply Quote

Captchas would only slow them down, and they'd probably buy more copies in the process to make up for the lost time to get back to status quo. Either way Blizzard wins.

The Captcha idea isn't even a temporary solution. There are people out there that will be able to circumvent whatever security measure they put in so it's kinda pointless.

Only thing that'll work is taking their reason to bot away.
Reply Quote
they dont need to remove the minimap but removing other players from it would stop the ingame botting issue

obviously instead of removing them makin the other play icons dynamic somehow would be much better
Edited by Stealthe#1993 on 11/20/2012 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
You forgot about memory reading bot. They don't read pixel.

Captchas can't stop bot because it can link to Indian/Chinese decaptchas sites for dirt cheap.

I do agree that it can stop some autoit scripts, but at what cost to legit players. You got to remember that, not everyone have good eye sight.
Reply Quote
You forgot about memory reading bot. They don't read pixel.

Captchas can't stop bot because it can link to Indian/Chinese decaptchas sites for dirt cheap.

I do agree that it can stop some autoit scripts, but at what cost to legit players. You got to remember that, not everyone have good eye sight.

memory reading bots are little concern as anything that sees or manipulates the memory is easy to detect...its the AHK and autoit and other scripts that are hard to detect...if they were using memory reading scripts they would not need pubs to follow
Edited by Stealthe#1993 on 11/20/2012 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

oh a text captcha, cause you cant hire a factory full of chinese/indians who type captchas for a living, oh wait, you can, you don't even need to find a factory either there are plenty out there already $2/1000 or more

Actually while I support dynamic minimap icons, I am also not in favor of captcha. A suggestion I made in the past was to have the buyout confirmation box itself a bit more dynamic, ie instead of a rectangle dialog box, it shows the model of the item you are purchasing, framed by an moving flame border with the confirm button placed at a random position.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 11/20/2012 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lol @ captcha, because that worked so beautifully for things like Yahoo Chat where there is more sex spam bots than real people in every chatroom.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]