Diablo® III

Question on Garg damage

Hey guys, I don't post here often but something's really bugging me. I decided to not use hex unless the uber group wants me to and throw a garg in for the additional dmg; why not right?

Problem is, he's hitting like a pansy. I mean, I tested on the bruiser rune, (200% wep dmg slam) and I thought he'd crit for *almost* what a bear would; so about 750-800k ya know? Wrong. 135k ish. What gives? I had another WD in an uber group recently that used echoing fury, no socket and a 400 dmg U.Serp. Ias gear and what not, had about 91k dps unbuffed. he said his slam was hitting for ~300k. I have almost 110k unbuffed, using a 2h set up with 511% chd.... 511. What gives?

How can he possibly be hitting 3x as hard as I am with like.. 200% less chd in his gear, 200 less int, and his echoing fury had 1070 max wep dmg (not dps, the actual dmg) and his serpent had I think 426 max. Something isn't adding up to me.

Insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
Can anyone chime in please?
Reply Quote
I recommend Garg/Humongoid, it does more dmg overall. Bruiser is better for cc but not dmg. Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
I don't know about the detail, but CHD only affect's pet damage by increasing your sheet dps, it doesn't increase the pet critical damage, pet will still deal 50% CHD for every crit. But that still doesn't explain why your friend deals more damage, because pet damage depends on your on sheet dps. Maybe you tested it without buff, while he uses maximum buffs?

You may post on peter's pet guide for a more reliable answer, i'm not too knowledgeable about pets

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004045226
Edited by PlonX#6752 on 11/22/2012 12:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I know humongoid does more, I tested that myself actually. The slam would have to happen every three swings to make it otherwise and it doesn't. :). Appreciate it, but...

Okay.. Yeah I mean unless he was lying? Idk.. I only used slam because he was. And it seemed to be about 50% crit, 80ish normal and 120-130ish crits so...makes sense. I just can't see how he'd deal more. It just isn't possible.

Any of you wanna see how hard your hits for me?
Reply Quote
Problem is, IAS is taken into account, chd not... There you go ;-)
Reply Quote
Maybe his attack was effected by the lowest possible damage from the weapon damage.Lets say your weapon damage is from 100- 500, it probably used 101 .
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Ic4RuS
Problem is, IAS is taken into account, chd not... There you go ;-)

Not true. Both IAS and CHD only affect pet by increasing your dps sheet, which pet damage is based on. So, both is taken into account and both doesn't affect pet directly in any way.
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 07:59 AMPosted by JeanPaul
Maybe his attack was effected by the lowest possible damage from the weapon damage.Lets say your weapon damage is from 100- 500, it probably used 101 .

I didn't just hit ONE time and call it a day, though I guess with most people on these forums, that wouldn't be too hard to believe. Let's assume we're talking amongst people with intelligence lol.

I think CDC would be far more likely to increase hit intensity on a pet than ias would; but if both only increase sheet dps which in turn causes a harder hit than the question still stands.

Have any of YOU just let your garg hit something and see how much it actually does?
Reply Quote
From my understanding, pets scale with your IAS & Crit % but they do NOT scale with your Crit Damage.

Seems like an oversight to me, but who knows. From the lack time the devs spend on WDs it wouldn't surprise me if it was a mistake.
Reply Quote
Have any of YOU just let your garg hit something and see how much it actually does?

Someone did a test a month or two ago with exactly they.

They tested base damage, damage with IAS, damage with Crit D, damage with Crit %.

They concluded that your Garg scales off your weapon damage, essentially the same as normal skills, with the exception of crits ALWAYS did 150% damage. Increasing Crit D did not effect the results.

IE
IAS made him attack faster
Crit % made him crit more.
Crit D did nothing.

So basically if you want to calculate the gargs damage you would do the following.

Take base weapon damage.
Multiply by INT bonus
Multiply by any % elemental bonuses that may effect it
Then multiply by % damage of pet 100%.

The only thing that i cant remember off the top of my head is how weapon speed (not IAS) effected the results. IE 0 IAS but 1.4 APS over 1 APS.
Reply Quote
My Garg, when I had only 75k dps, saw crits of 200k.

I just recently got a huge dps boost to crack the 100k mark. I have not yet had a chance to see how that impacts Garg's overall damage.

My experience with Garg:
Humongoid = good for keeping mobs aggro'd on him, not you.
Bruiser = good for stuns
Restless Giant = good damage output, if you recast it frequently to reset the internal timer
Reply Quote
11/23/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Xarkar

Someone did a test a month or two ago with exactly they.

They tested base damage, damage with IAS, damage with Crit D, damage with Crit %.

They concluded that your Garg scales off your weapon damage, essentially the same as normal skills, with the exception of crits ALWAYS did 150% damage. Increasing Crit D did not effect the results.

IE
IAS made him attack faster
Crit % made him crit more.
Crit D did nothing.

So basically if you want to calculate the gargs damage you would do the following.

Take base weapon damage.
Multiply by INT bonus
Multiply by any % elemental bonuses that may effect it
Then multiply by % damage of pet 100%.

The only thing that i cant remember off the top of my head is how weapon speed (not IAS) effected the results. IE 0 IAS but 1.4 APS over 1 APS.

Mmmm, I did a test about 2 months ago and my conclusion is that IAS does not make any pet attacks faster. I tried it with Voodoo buff but I did not change weapon to see the difference. I am pretty confident that pets attack the same speed except when under Relentless rune that specifically increases Garg's attack frequency.

Peter did the test and I think the conclusion is that Pet's critical damage is always at 100% + 50%. 50% is our base critical damage.

However, pets scale with our "paper dps" which means they do get our Critical Damage bonus because that makes our paper dps higher. This also includes any buffs like +% elemental damage, IAS and CC.

What Peter said in that test is that your CD isn't translated into Pet's CD. They don't critical higher than 50% but their base damage goes up with your CD. Say Garg's damage is 100 and you have 100% CD. Garg's critical damage is 150 and not 200, although with 100% CD Garg's base damage should be higher.

It's been a long time that I pay attention to Garg's damage. Maybe I'll try that tonight.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 11/23/2012 9:04 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]