Diablo® III

The WD bandwagon

Just seems like everyone always follows suit with the "most popular build". when it was a pure bears build thats all i heard about on the forums and seen on the AH. Then the zombie waller faller build. Now all i see is all this fuss about the zero dogs build and the prices on all this stuff in the ah have gone up 10, 20x.

Anyone out there trying new stuff or there own unique builds except for me? I thought the reason people played a WD was the build veriety uniqueness. If you are plz post and explain!

P.S. for people looking at my profile... the updating system from the game to the forums is notoriously slow. i tryd the sacrafice thing one time and switched back to my build and its still up as my main build.
Edited by Geminga#1480 on 11/29/2012 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm still playing with Passives. I've been all around the world with builds it seems.

I still find myself loving the LoH proc engine of Rain of Toads + Acid Cloud. I then use Dogs + Gargantuan as meat shield and stun. Passives have primarily been Gruesome Feast, Grave Injustice, and Spirit Vessel. Spirit Walk and Soul Harvest round it out. For a while, I used both of those that had healing runes for the survivablity, but now that my gear is good, I've gone to more damage dealing runes.

If I can ever get a LifeSteal weapon, I might go with Zombie Bears for the damage output. Or maybe Well of Souls, as those things can hit hard. Both skills are huge single-target damage dealers, which I like that I don't have in my RoT/AC build. But, without LifeSteal, I can't use them. Plus, Zombie Bears requires you to be up close and personal, and I like having a little range even though I'm tanky as hell.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRYdUT!eTY!bZZcac

I like the fact that this build lets me self-buff like a monster. The original idea, when I was low on DPS, was to try to build in as many self-buffs as possible. And it sort of worked, so I kept it. Now, with nearly 1000 LoH on my gear (before you add in any from the weapon, if I get one), the RoT / AC / LoH build is just too good for me.
Edited by mellojoe#1495 on 11/29/2012 8:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fRUXid!TeY!caZZZc

This works wonders for speed farming mp0-2.

GI, GF, SV for passives. This reduces cooldown very fast. Bear and acid rain is mana intensive so being able to spam spirit walk honored guest on a 12 sec cooldown fixes this as well as killing fast and picking up globes with the thing of the deep. I use SW and Horrify to move fast all the time. Hex makes elite chickens melt.

My norm is to SW into a large pack, pop SH, then acid rain. This kills most packs. Bears cleans up anything left over. I always use toad off hand and keep moving to pick up globes fast.

Reflect mobs I dps when SW is up and always target the chicken first. Having about 9k life added per globe/pot and managing your globes/pot for reflect is key. All other affixes are quick kills.

With this build I am farming very fast, able to spam bears and acid rain as I please and the sprinting around the map makes keeping my buffs up a breeze between packs.

As you can see in my profile my gear isn't BIS but around 80k paper doll buffs up very fast.

I don't use any attack speed on my gear, inflates my paperdoll and burns mana too fast. I have a hit it once an be done mentality. Damage per mana spent is how I think about it. We don't regen our resources like other classes so getting the most out each cast has made my life very simple and makes gear choices much cheaper when you stop looking for attack speed on things. Just crit, crit damage, tons of int, % damage if you can afford it like on my tal rasha's ammy, zunni boots, and stone of jordan.

Get a stone of jordan with acid rain and you really see the crits flying and elites melt before you realize your fighting an elite in the pack. 1.5 aps seems about the sweet spot for WD for not running out of mana and being able to cast fast enough.

My next upgrades are more crit damage on the wep and more crit on the ammy with same crit damage.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
ive been trying out rush of essence build for higher MP

spirit barrage - well of souls
zombie bears or whatever burst damage

soul harvest - vengeful spirit
spirit walk - jaunt
horrify - frightening aspect/stalker
anything defensive like garg/dogs/hex/grasp

the reason for rush of essence is just to spam well of souls...the best single target dmger with little bit of multitarget - just like DH's spray of teeth

with SH, SW, horrify...u should be able to spam forever, just use these skills all the time and it'll keep the mana regen up

i guess rush of essence build will be really good with PvP...auto target of spirit barrage allows u to keep dodging, stutterstep and spam crowd control spells like hex, horrify, mass confusion
haunt would prob be good with the slow rune...so you'll use 5/6 spells
PVP version - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUXij!fea!ZYaYZb
Edited by xSkilling#1945 on 11/29/2012 9:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
nice all... heres my actual build...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfgUYT!Wcg!bccZYa

its definetly a pet build mainly. got manitou for extra auto attack damage and zombie bears to compliment the close range of manitou.
I dont usually have to worry about getting swarmed at close range because of my pets keeping aggro pretty well.
RoT is for LoH proc and for range versatility.
My pets rarly ever die... i have even tested them in higher MP even if i couldnt kill things very fast they still lived. (life regen FTW)
Reply Quote
Just seems like everyone always follows suit with the "most popular build". when it was a pure bears build thats all i heard about on the forums and seen on the AH. Then the zombie waller faller build. Now all i see is all this fuss about the zero dogs build and the prices on all this stuff in the ah have gone up 10, 20x.

Anyone out there trying new stuff or there own unique builds except for me? I thought the reason people played a WD was the build veriety uniqueness. If you are plz post and explain!

P.S. for people looking at my profile... the updating system from the game to the forums is notoriously slow. i tryd the sacrafice thing one time and switched back to my build and its still up as my main build.

I never knew there was a pile on phase. People are always coming up with ways to tweak builds but at the end of the day.

WOS beats out Hunger Bats.
ZC Bears beat out all other ZC ruins
Acid Rain beats out all other Acid Ruins
Zero Dogs beat out all other sac specs.
and on and on.

There is always going to be some combos that beat out others.

Sure you can run ROT, Haunt, and Snake to the face.. and I'm sure it will work great in MP0. but everything works great in mp0 so it's not something people talk about..

With that said there are lots of diverse threads just look for the ones with the most people fighting. You want to step out of the WD box (at least as far as the forum is concerned). Run an IAS spec. lol.. This game is much like other games of it's class I've played there are a few people that experiment.. some people get it right, some people get it very wrong, and some people do a kick !@# job of doing write ups, and those are the ones that seem to gain the most popularity. The majority of the people are just casual players they don't want to discern for themselves they look at what is the most popular spec at the time and assume it's the best, and that is what they try and usually have a good time in the process. The difference between the "tuner", alt, and popular specs at the end of the day is so minimal it won't effect most people.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/29/2012 11:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
speaking of Snake to the Face, i have heard that a HEX / Snake build is usable on Ubers. No, it isn't Crit Mass stun-lock, but between Hex / Snake / Gargantuan, you can go a long way to keeping Ubers from doing too much damage.
Reply Quote
Someone actually has to come up with the builds too. For example I had theorized about the sacrifice-build, since the announcement of "legendary item boosts" (I then bought the items as soon as they appeared on the EU's AH, so I was definitely one of the first players with the build). I did the same with Wall of Zombies - Pile On, except those items I bought as soon as I saw the patch notes.

In 1.0.4 there were only a handful of players with the sacrifice-build and I remember having to defend the build against all the naysayers ("very low damage", "worse than bears", "too random", etc). Unlike most builds, the sacrifice-build got better when the monsters got more HP (I was able to 1-shot the enemies with sacrifice in 1.0.4 during 4-player co-op games). I believe the introduction of 1.0.5 and the Monster Power-system are the main reasons why the sacrifice-build has become so popular.

The Pile On builds never got popular. The reasons for that are: the skill costs mana, is somewhat hard to aim and its AoE radius is worse than sacrifice or bears.

Spirit Barrage - Well of Souls-builds are quite popular at the moment. The build is great for ubers, but the downside is that its AoE capabilities are limited (which is why you need to have some other damage skill for AoEing).

At the moment everything has pretty much been discovered already, which is why we need to wait for a new patch before any "real new builds" can be made.

PS: Hex works only on Kulle. The rest of the ubers are Immune to CC, excluding stuns (You can fear Maghda though).
Edited by Höyste#1343 on 11/30/2012 6:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think the build diversity of the WD is SUBSTANTIALLY better than all other classes. If you look at diablo progress for the most used skills, SV is used by almost everyone, SW and bears are used by the vast majority, and then after that there is a much bigger range of skill usage than any other class.

WDs should be the model that Blizzard uses for other classes in future patches.
Edited by Squeeme#1113 on 11/30/2012 8:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 06:31 AMPosted by Squeeme
WDs should be the model that Blizzard uses for other classes in future patches.

ROFL. And yet we need a class buff so badly to so many of those skills you seem to think are actually useful.
Reply Quote
No, other classes need to be nerfed IMO. The test, I think, of correct balance is the top 0.001% (or some small number) should be able to handle MP10, and I think WDs are at that. Barbs and Wizards have it too easy.

If there is no challenge in the game there is no point in playing.
Reply Quote
My WD is my main, and we do not need buffed. We are fine. There are some other classes that outperform us with less gear, but that is more an indicator that those classes need nerfed, not that we need buffed.
Reply Quote
No, other classes need to be nerfed IMO. The test, I think, of correct balance is the top 0.001% (or some small number) should be able to handle MP10, and I think WDs are at that. Barbs and Wizards have it too easy.

If there is no challenge in the game there is no point in playing.

I'm pretty sure that more than .001% of WD's can handle MP10. I can handle it and I'm by no means a top .001% WD imo.

I do agree that barb's have it pretty easy, and 1 spec of Wiz has it pretty easy (but it costs a ton to set it up). Personally I like the balance right now with the exception of barbs being able to face roll everything. The other classes' strong specs have a pretty large barrier to entry in the gear they require to be viable at the top level.
Reply Quote
Please take a minute to check out the build guide I made, if you haven't already. Lots of fun, very viable on high MP levels, and most importantly it's something different.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200061181
Reply Quote
Burning Doctor (Burningflesh), re rolled a wd for diablo3ladders and put a fire/thorns theme limitation on all my gear/skill choices.

All the gear is fire/thorns themed, all the offensive skills do fire damage. Very fun and really cheap gear to buy too (mostly). Not very effective past mp2 but super fun on 0.

Great way to add something new into the mix. The gear is what really makes it interesting.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#chUXYT!YTg!ZcZZYb
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]