Diablo® III

Honest Questions For DH'ers (Paying money)

(( As an incentive I will pay 2 million for the best/honest advice ))
(( After i get some answers i'll let ya know the best one and you can collect ))

Hey guys, I played a DH a while back near release and I had fun with it, since I returned to d3 I have been playing Barb/Wiz and i enjoy them both but I loved amazon in d2 and like the idea of the DH.

I need some HONEST people to answer these questions because I have saved around 150 million budget for another toon, either going to be WD or DH.

Is the demon-hunter as bad as everyone say's ? I see para leveled 70/80/ etc dh'ers quitting to roll barbs and wiz and wd's and monks.

Is Manticore really the ONLY sensible build ?

How is the calamity and 1h'er build ?

How is the windforce build ? Viable ?

Can dh'ers clear mp 6-7 decently for key runs as well ? I am very curious for some experienced DH'ers to give me some honest and good opinions.

I see alot of different dh'ers some using ELE arrow with Hungering and ball of light //// some using Evasive , some using Strafe and others that say Multi-Shot is the best option.

What are the viable builds that can really be used efficiently.
Reply Quote
For the quickest build, legacy nat set(with good rolls) for quick disc regain. This allows spamming of vault, along with the tactical advantage passive. This combined with max move speed outruns even ww barbs. Farming the Alkairzer run is 10-15 minutes with this build on mp3(allowing for high dps).
There are alot of good builds basead on 1hnders/windforce and manticores. The 2 socket/dex manticore and dml quiver is the best for dps, it is slow but with good gear 1.7-2 attacks/sec is possible. I use cluster arrow/loaded for bear for key/uber runs mp5-7 which crits near 1mill with my dps at 290k, and stun bola which stunlocks ubers. For farming the Alkaizer at mp3 I use mulitshot which mows down trash mobs. Still there are plenty more good builds out there, these are just a few!
Cheers
Edited by HeMan#6119 on 12/1/2012 8:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am sorta in the same spot as u r... I am either going to gear my Barb more or my DH
Reply Quote
For the quickest build, legacy nat set(with good rolls) for quick disc regain. This allows spamming of vault, along with the tactical advantage passive. This combined with max move speed outruns even ww barbs. Farming the Alkairzer run is 10-15 minutes with this build on mp3(allowing for high dps).
There are alot of good builds basead on 1hnders/windforce and manticores. The 2 socket/dex manticore and dml quiver is the best for dps, it is slow but with good gear 1.7-2 attacks/sec is possible. I use cluster arrow/loaded for bear for key/uber runs mp5-7 which crits near 1mill with my dps at 290k, and stun bola which stunlocks ubers. For farming the Alkaizer at mp3 I use mulitshot which mows down trash mobs. Still there are plenty more good builds out there, these are just a few!
Cheers

Here is my issue, the Nats 4 piece legacy, for it to even be worth putting it on is hundreds of millions no ? I mean the cheap ones with like no dex or good stats arent even worth it right?
Reply Quote
(( After i get some answers i'll let ya know the best one and you can collect ))

Hey guys, I played a DH a while back near release and I had fun with it, since I returned to d3 I have been playing Barb/Wiz and i enjoy them both but I loved amazon in d2 and like the idea of the DH.

I need some HONEST people to answer these questions because I have saved around 150 million budget for another toon, either going to be WD or DH.

Is the demon-hunter as bad as everyone say's ? I see para leveled 70/80/ etc dh'ers quitting to roll barbs and wiz and wd's and monks.
- wiz and barb can farm faster, not sure abt wd and wiz. DH is not as good in farming

Probably

cala + DML is another great build, but the cala has to be high dps with socket. dont bother dual wielding as DML is too op

regardless of what the wf fans tell u, its only gg to be a fun but not viable spec. see how many wf fans take out their xbow/manti for ubers or speed farming? lol

Can dh'ers clear mp 6-7 decently for key runs as well ? I am very curious for some experienced DH'ers to give me some honest and good opinions.
yes they can, especially with bola/spiked traps cutter build (others may work too)

I see alot of different dh'ers some using ELE arrow with Hungering and ball of light //// some using Evasive , some using Strafe and others that say Multi-Shot is the best option.

The good thing about DH is that there are many viable specs. just none as effective as a WW barb :p

see my answers above
Reply Quote
If your dps is still high enough to 1-2 hit mobs in Mp1 then I think the 4 piece is worth it (talking about the lower end ones), but only for paragon leveling.
Reply Quote
Thats right, although the set bonus(esp for 4 piece) is great- with average set pieces the loss of dps is significant. Unfortunately the good rolled nats do cost alot - prob about 1/2 to 1 bill for a good 4 piece set. If cost is an issue grab a nats bloody footprints and reflection for the 7% cc bonus. Then a Andriels helm with high dex(Mempo better but so much more $$). A dml quiver is a bis, and a good one is fairly cheap these days. Choice of weapon would be down to your style of play, but you have listed the best options above.
Reply Quote
Well I dual wield but your dps will not match that of a Manticore user (if that's important to you), I just find it appealing for some reason. If you're on a budget, go with a Manticore (although dual wielding is fun), my Calamity cost 75 mill, whereas I bought a 1k dps dex double socket Manticore for just 8 mill the other day.

The demon hunter is a lot of fun and there are plenty of great Ubers farming builds. Do not get a legacy set unless you can get a great set which is probably out of your budget. The stats on those just aren't good enough compared to the newer set and the only bonus is the disc regen which isn't worth it if you can't kill things efficiently. As for farming builds, the typical builds are a variation of using Multishot or Ball lightning for trash clearing, I prefer ball lightning. For Ubers the build I use is Bola shot: Thunder ball and Loaded for bear, you can keep Ubers perma stunned almost as good as CM wizards too bad it only works against single targets.

It's a great class and I quit it to play a Barb for awhile but came back the play style is just more active and engaging than the WW Barb. Hope I helped and I don't need the 2 mill if I did.
Reply Quote
I absolutely love the play style of the DH. I have Leg Nats and I duel wield. My gear is not amazing but I have no problem in MP 5. If I am playing with a barb that is good at keeping people out in front of me I have gone up to MP8. Once I got my Legacy nats the entire game literally changed for me. I was almost going to say screw the DH. I just happened to sell an item for 80mil and I took the chance on a nats ring. I literally bought one of the cheapest ones on the market. Once I got Leg nats it is SO much fun... If I am in a public game with vault and tactical advantage on top of my 25% boost to run/walk from items... I FLY though the levels. I also loved it because it opened up another skill slot for me not having to use preparation every chance I could. I know a lot of people say just, use multishot with the disc regain but to me that is just switching one disc regain for another instead of FREELY opening up a skill slot i also can't stand multi as a skill so I refused to use it on principal. If you look at my guy I am geared for MF right now. Though my non MF gear literally only adds like 15k dps.
Reply Quote
I use a calamity + DML. DH is pretty expensive to get a good one, but when you do, it's just as viable as any other class. Can definitely do mp 6-7 key runs.
Reply Quote
Dual wielder here. I farm mp7 pretty efficiently. Uber 7-8. DH is expensive. Got tired of barb pretty quick.
Reply Quote

150 mil is a good amount to start.

For your budget, I heavily recommend going for
2 - 3p new Nats (Boots, Ring definitely. Helm or chest if going for 3p)
1 - 2p Inna's (Pants definitely. Chest if going for 2p)
Manticore
Dead Man's Legacy quiver
Witching Hour
Andy's helm IF not going for Nats helm
Rare ammy
Hellfire ring / rare ring
Rare gloves
Lacuni / Strongarms / Rare bracers

You can build up a perfectly viable paragon-farming and uber-killing DH with that.

DHs tend to complain alot, but that's really more due to how easy barbarians have it in life. To be honest, with the right gear we can do damn near everything. Be it mp0 farming to mp10. We can tank(with the right gear). We can solo mp10 ubers(again, with the right gear). We can key-farm. We can achievement hunt. We can speed through the maps by using vault with tactical advantage.

Just as there are high paragon-level DHs quitting to reroll other classes, the reverse is true as well.

12/01/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Lithic

Of course there are more builds than just manticore ones. It's just that manticore builds are the most straight-forward, cheapest and looks the best on Diablo3progress.

Manticores are also treasured because it has the best damage range of the main weapons, meaning you won't see low numbers.

It is important to note however manticore does not do black damage/pure physical damage, which means its bonuses from SoJ, Inna's belt, Zunimmasa's boots etc is not as good as Windforce or Calamity.

Awesome.

1-h crossbows give the 10% crit chance archery buff, which is arguably the best of the archery bonuses. Also important is the fact Calamity gives a passive chance to put mark of death, and it is 1 of the fastest weapons of all. A DH spamming Bola Shot - Thunderball can keep an uber stun-locked forever.

Wielding 2x 1h crossbows is probably the coolest of all the builds. But DHs tend to use Calamity with Dead Man's Legacy for the best bonuses.

Very viable too.

The issue is that windforce will not reach the dps of manticore easily. But its archery bonus of 15% damage is also superior to that of the manticore. DHs usually use the windforce for its numerous additional buffs such as lifeleech, hatred regen and most importantly, knockback. Needless to say, Windforce also looks REALLY cool.

Yes. When we want to speed clear, we use vault with tactical advantage to look for elites quickly.

Ball lightning is also sick-good for dealing with act 2 Keywarden.

Clearing high mp is more about your gear and skill level, than the innate abilities of the DH.

Our top 3 hatred generators are

- Hungering Arrow
- Bola Shot
- Evasive Fire (covering fire only)

Grenades and entangling shot are viable too, but harder to use properly unless you really know your stuff.

As for hatred dump, the following are really good too for clearing low mp

- Strafe
- Multishot
- Ball Lightning

The other hatred dumps shine in their own rights

- Cluster bomb (for dealing with heavily grouped-up enemies, or large ones like Azmodan)
- Spike Trap (echoing mainly)
- Impale (especially if you have -hatred gear)

There is no best farming skill, it's about your playstyle.

Note that this goes down to whether you are using Legacy Nats or not. I am a new Nat user, so here are several. NOTE there are easily dozens of viable builds, I am giving you my best 3 so as not to confuse you.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ajhVdg!ZbY!caZcbY - For mp0-1 farming

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WPRVkg!fXY!ZYYcaY - For Uber farming

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WihVkg!fXe!aabccY - For mp5-7 farming/key farming

Hope these helps. I can give further clarification ingame if you got any additional questions.
Reply Quote

150 mil is a good amount to start.

For your budget, I heavily recommend going for
2 - 3p new Nats (Boots, Ring definitely. Helm or chest if going for 3p)
1 - 2p Inna's (Pants definitely. Chest if going for 2p)
Manticore
Dead Man's Legacy quiver
Witching Hour
Andy's helm IF not going for Nats helm
Rare ammy
Hellfire ring / rare ring
Rare gloves
Lacuni / Strongarms / Rare bracers

You can build up a perfectly viable paragon-farming and uber-killing DH with that.

DHs tend to complain alot, but that's really more due to how easy barbarians have it in life. To be honest, with the right gear we can do damn near everything. Be it mp0 farming to mp10. We can tank(with the right gear). We can solo mp10 ubers(again, with the right gear). We can key-farm. We can achievement hunt. We can speed through the maps by using vault with tactical advantage.

Just as there are high paragon-level DHs quitting to reroll other classes, the reverse is true as well.

Of course there are more builds than just manticore ones. It's just that manticore builds are the most straight-forward, cheapest and looks the best on Diablo3progress.

Manticores are also treasured because it has the best damage range of the main weapons, meaning you won't see low numbers.

It is important to note however manticore does not do black damage/pure physical damage, which means its bonuses from SoJ, Inna's belt, Zunimmasa's boots etc is not as good as Windforce or Calamity.

Awesome.

1-h crossbows give the 10% crit chance archery buff, which is arguably the best of the archery bonuses. Also important is the fact Calamity gives a passive chance to put mark of death, and it is 1 of the fastest weapons of all. A DH spamming Bola Shot - Thunderball can keep an uber stun-locked forever.

Wielding 2x 1h crossbows is probably the coolest of all the builds. But DHs tend to use Calamity with Dead Man's Legacy for the best bonuses.

Very viable too.

The issue is that windforce will not reach the dps of manticore easily. But its archery bonus of 15% damage is also superior to that of the manticore. DHs usually use the windforce for its numerous additional buffs such as lifeleech, hatred regen and most importantly, knockback. Needless to say, Windforce also looks REALLY cool.

Yes. When we want to speed clear, we use vault with tactical advantage to look for elites quickly.

Ball lightning is also sick-good for dealing with act 2 Keywarden.

Clearing high mp is more about your gear and skill level, than the innate abilities of the DH.

Our top 3 hatred generators are

- Hungering Arrow
- Bola Shot
- Evasive Fire (covering fire only)

Grenades and entangling shot are viable too, but harder to use properly unless you really know your stuff.

As for hatred dump, the following are really good too for clearing low mp

- Strafe
- Multishot
- Ball Lightning

The other hatred dumps shine in their own rights

- Cluster bomb (for dealing with heavily grouped-up enemies, or large ones like Azmodan)
- Spike Trap (echoing mainly)
- Impale (especially if you have -hatred gear)

There is no best farming skill, it's about your playstyle.

Note that this goes down to whether you are using Legacy Nats or not. I am a new Nat user, so here are several. NOTE there are easily dozens of viable builds, I am giving you my best 3 so as not to confuse you.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ajhVdg!ZbY!caZcbY - For mp0-1 farming

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WPRVkg!fXY!ZYYcaY - For Uber farming

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WihVkg!fXe!aabccY - For mp5-7 farming/key farming

Hope these helps. I can give further clarification ingame if you got any additional questions.

Man why do you have to steal my thunder.... I was just about to say ALL of that too! Okay, maybe not all of it... great post though.
Reply Quote
150m is not enough for a calamity or WF build to efficiently farm mp6/7.

with WF you need skills that have high proc rates to fully utilize the KB. Those arent hungering arrow, lfb, or ele arrow.

if you're looking to efficiently farm high MP lvls, i think you should towards other chars, because the survivability of DH at those mp lvls need high AR/disicipline/vit requirements. especially when you're going to have to spend 100m for a decent OS calamity.
Reply Quote
I just woke up and quit too lazy to type a paragraph long of explanation :p. Ill just sum it up in a few sentence.

To be an effective dh everything must be well balanced. DPS, ehp, resistance, armor, disc.

My Item is not on par with the top DHs but I can farm mp10 quit smoothly. Note that the gloves on my profile has been upgraded already and im currently at 260k dps. I only need 2 more upgrade to further enhance my resistance. Belt and hellfire will be upgraded with something that has 50+ar. My dps and ehp will be reduced a bit but with 500+ AR its all worth it.
Edited by ThePwet#6321 on 12/1/2012 11:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
LOL at this thread. He only has 150m, and you all are talking about how great DHs can be.
Let me know if you can even gear a DH to farm mp0 efficiently with 150m...
Edited by Shdwflare#1288 on 12/2/2012 12:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
mp0 efficiently with 150m? you can farm mp0 fast...with that u can do mp1 and 2. u can prob do mp3 but that's not efficient enough. with 150m you can def. key farm mp 5-6...ubers is another story though.
Reply Quote
You just need to build your DH to be balanced. I recently came back and had a 175mil budget at first (leftover gold from my L4N that I hadn't sold on the RMAH). The new nats is pretty cheap to get a nice starter set, you just have to put in the time on the AH =(. Started with a set that got me 36k hp, 300 resists and 150k dps and have built from there. Now MP8 is pretty easy.
Reply Quote
You can build a good DH for under 150 million. Mine was about 100-110 million and I do just fine with it. I have 100k unbuffed dps and 1million unbuffed ehp. You just have to look at the sum of your equipment instead of just any piece. Set totals you want for dex, crit chance, crit dam, IAS etc. If you want 500 all resists and you can get it without having all resists on your shoulders great. Thinking like that is how I was able to put my build together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]