Diablo® III

Sometimes less crit is better

i believe no one has ever talked about this.

i switched from my old tal rasha to a crit tal rasha a week ago. i noticed i was dying more often than i used to while fighting reflects. it was weird, but still ok, since i don't die much anyways, so i just ignored it.

a couple of days ago i decided to switch my soundrel to templar just for fun. i noticed i am back to where i was before the ammy switch and rarely die killing myself with reflects.

what i realized is that you will more likely to kill yourself when you have too much dps vs defensive stats even if you have a high ls; and there is breaking point for the balance of dps vs defence, for me, it's the extra 4% cc.

crit isn't always king, it needs to be balanced with defensive stats, i.e. armor, ar and vit.
Reply Quote
Haha, yeah, try telling that to all the glass cannons crying about reflect in the general forums.
Reply Quote
View profile
well RD reflects something like 20% of your dmg... Ill spare you the no !@#$ Sherlock pun
Reply Quote
what i realized is that you will more likely to kill yourself when you have too much dps vs defensive stats even if you have a high ls; and there is breaking point for the balance of dps vs defence, for me, it's the extra 4% cc.

Im actually suffering from this right now.

I have 165k ish Damage on my sheet.
I have 5.4 % LS.
550k EHP.
64k HP.

Last week i swapped to a witching hour, and dropped 70 AR on my belt, so in turn i picked up strongarm bracers with vit/Life to make up the loss of EHP.

My EHP didnt go down, but my dmg reduction did. SO even though i have a TON of EHP/HP my LS isnt as effective because i have so much HP to heal back.

(IE gaining 300 AR, and dropping X HP where X means my EHP doesnt change) would be far far superior because my Heals now heal a larger percentage of my HP.

Either way Reflect isnt a big problem its justa bit annoying sometimes on specific mobs. (Some mobs i dont even notice the refelct, some really hurt me)... no idea why but meh.
Reply Quote
Considering they have said they're gonna knock back RD soon, I don't think intentionally gimping yourself on crit is the long term answer, lol.

My advice would be when facing RD elites is to swap out your Hellfire ring for a SoJ during the fight or respec your Scoundrel to do the other passive that doesn't increase crit chance (or both).
Reply Quote
Also further to what I said above... I would never Drop crit simpyl because of RD.

If RD is hurting you, it simply means you need more AR/Armor/HP or Sustain (LS/LOH).

Personally i think the way RD is coded is silly. Why does it scale with my power?
Typically as your hero gets stronger, monsters get easier. With RD, thats not really the case. (DMG is easy to get than resists), so in most cases RD gets harder as you get stronger.

IMO RD should reflect X% damage back but be CAPPED at a certain point.
IE cap it at the equivilent reflect of someone with 80k sheet damage (or whatever). Then once you break that 80, you dont take MORE damage when you get more DPS.
Reply Quote
RD's are among the easiest packs to deal with for me, just stand off and lob FB's as needed, I have a mix of life regen, LS & LOH, 1 potion of Globe per fight is about right.

No Bears with Reflect packs.
Reply Quote
RD's are among the easiest packs to deal with for me, just stand off and lob FB's as needed, I have a mix of life regen, LS & LOH, 1 potion of Globe per fight is about right.

No Bears with Reflect packs.

Comes down to your absorb / sustain / EHP.
Like i said before i swapped AR for HP (same EHP) RD was a walk in the park with 5.4% LS, or 1500 LOH and AC.

Once you get up there in damage, they can become quite a pain.

IE if i have 5 stacks of GF and 5 stacks from SH my Damage almost doubles.
164k to 298k.
However the the ONLY defensive stat i gain is about 250 All resist from the INT.

Its a heck of a lot easier to kill myself with 300k damage, than 164k.

I actaully had some fun one day with Pile on at 4 second CD. I cast it on a RD pack, and instantly 1 shot myself was pretty funny actually.
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Xarkar
I actaully had some fun one day with Pile on at 4 second CD. I cast it on a RD pack, and instantly 1 shot myself was pretty funny actually.

maximum buffs on
harvest elites, I'm dead too?
must have been reflect
Reply Quote
Also further to what I said above... I would never Drop crit simpyl because of RD.

If RD is hurting you, it simply means you need more AR/Armor/HP or Sustain (LS/LOH).

Personally i think the way RD is coded is silly. Why does it scale with my power?
Typically as your hero gets stronger, monsters get easier. With RD, thats not really the case. (DMG is easy to get than resists), so in most cases RD gets harder as you get stronger.

IMO RD should reflect X% damage back but be CAPPED at a certain point.
IE cap it at the equivilent reflect of someone with 80k sheet damage (or whatever). Then once you break that 80, you dont take MORE damage when you get more DPS.

Ranged DPS have a lot of advantage against a lot of other affixes. RD is supposed to be a big problem for them, especially glass cannon, and it works just fine. With a proper amount of LS / LOH, it should be a piece of cake, the main purpose of RD is a balance check
Reply Quote
View profile
I have noticed that reflect packs have different amounts of reflect also, but I'm not sure that it just isn't that the different monsters have different base health -- Live longer -- Reflect more -- harder to kill.

Also if the damn things are life linked or have extra health, that can really hurt.

Even though I have a LS SKorn, if I can't just bear one of the monsters separately, I back off and AC them until they are worn down, then I bear them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]