Diablo® III

Arcane Orb Wizard - Need feedback

I'm trying to improve the DPS on this Arcane Orb build and was hoping for some gear and skill advice for the best synergy possible.

-I have about 52% crit chance on Aorb with Scoundrel.
-Most of my skills are for survival and to reduce AP cost. I can handle MP3 pretty well but farm in MP1 for efficiency.
-24% movement speed is too useful for survival to give up.
-I can launch Celestial Orbs almost all the time without running out of Arcane Power due to APoC.
-Trying to stay away from cookie-cutter builds like CM/WW, SNS and Archon that'll probably get nerfed, again.
-I <3 Celestial Orb. Launch 2-3 and watch them decimate everything in their paths while keeping running behind them.

I didn't focus on Attack Speed at all. I don't think it increases "ticks" from Celestial Orbs but I could be wrong (Can anyone confirm?). What I have noticed from more Attack Speed is that I can launch Orbs at a faster rate although the orb travelling speed does not change. I also run out of Arcane Power a lot more which is definitely not fun.
Edited by Gastank#1797 on 11/29/2012 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
I Still think Big slow 2 handed weapons are better for Arcane Orb builds....
a Skorn would probably be your best friend here.... Still... your source is an awesome Arcane Orb source... lol... so I dunno.
with slow attack speed, and same DPS, your Arcane orbs would do much more damage by AP spent and you could focus less on AP reducing skills.

For now, I'd say, swap teleport rune to calamity... it's a better wave of force that can also be used to run away.

And take Wave of Force out for something else... probably Familiar with further AP reduction or sparkflint.
Reply Quote
Arcane orb doesn't tick, it just hits everything in it's path once.

I like your style, I think you're on to something. Haven't looked at your spec yet, just what you've posted here, but I think you're on teh right track. Now let me look at your character and get back to you. :)

I've also been running AO. I bounce between Celestial Orb and Arcane NOva. I tend to get into melee range a LOT due to the way my build is set up, and Arcane Nova will hit enemies not just in front of me, but behind me too, due to the big explosion range. Very nice for close up.
Reply Quote
i would think that you would want a slow 2 hand weapon with high crit damage with this build.

maybe a skorn with open socket and high int/crit damage? just brainstorming.
Reply Quote
My advice:

Drop wave of force and add Calamity to you teleport, as seilaoque recommended. The knockback form Calamity is insane, and the damage is just as good as wave of force. In addition, you can use it to GTFO. Eventually the KB on calamity will probably be reduced (I hope so, actually... It's kind of ridiculous).

This will open up a skill slot, which I would recommend replacing with Mirror Image - Mirror Mimics/Mocking Demise.

In addition,replace slow time with Frost Nova - Bone Chill to get that 15% extra damage, and run cold blooded instead of evocation. The cooldown reduction is miniscule compared to the damage increase you'd gain through the combination of Mirror Mimics/Frost Nova.

People sleep on MM with Frost Nova, but it is a very effective (albeit sometimes unreliable) Crowd Control structure.

Feel free to add me. I always love playing with people with non-typical builds. It gets boring running with the same spec over and over.
Edited by Sevenernine#1753 on 11/29/2012 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
i would think that you would want a slow 2 hand weapon with high crit damage with this build.

maybe a skorn with open socket and high int/crit damage? just brainstorming.

the good news is that EVERY Skorn has high crit and socket... lol.
1300 damage skorns with 280+ int, 150%+ crit and socket are selling below 500k gold....
so... always worth a try...

they only become expensive if you add Life Steal to the mix....
Reply Quote
You don't necessarily need a 2h. Just get a 1h with very high black damage.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Sevenernine

Well... yeah....
but, I don't think a one handed weapon will ever beat Skorn at damage per hit.
per second? yes... a good black one handed + triumvirate = much mor DPS than Skorn... no question about that...

but in damage per cast of Arcane Orb, I doubt you can go higher with a one handed setup.

I mean.... Skorn weapon damage can AVERAGE above 1400 PER HIT.
and it can have as high as 300% Critical Hit damage bonus with a Radiant Star Emerald....

I doubt even the most perfectly rolled one handed Black Weapon could ever top the damage of a critical Arcane orb cast with a good Skorn.

That said, no... he doesn't need a 2 hander....
but, Ideally, for this build as he REALLY needs to reduce the amount of AP spent per damage, a 2 hander would be a great asset....

and Skorns without Life Steal are CHEAP right now....
OP could buy one to test.... I think it will be better than 1 handed setup for this build any day of the week.

But... I could be wrong.... LOL!
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice and feedback guys.

A Skorn is very tempting because I could instantly get 280%+ CD for rather cheap. The problem is I would lose about 17.5% crit chance on Orb and 20 Arcane Power on Crit. Without both, the build becomes crippled. Not a bad idea though and I'll probably try it just to see some big fat crit numbers.

I'll definitely try Teleport Calamity. The thing though is I usually TP away from a bad situation, this rune seems like it would require me to go into the fray but I think I can make it work. Also, the reason I was using Teleport Fracture is because I find the decoys to be quite useful at distracting powerful foes but I think I can work around that too. especially if I add MM suggested by Sevenernine.

Regarding the MM/MD skill. I knew there was a benefit to that rune but it didn't dong on me! Thanks for the tip. 10% damage from them isn't really the benefit, it's more that their spells are now affecting enemies. Extra FNs and maybe they will use TP/Calamity too? I'll def try this.

It would be hard for me to give up Slow Time. That's pretty much my only defense against projectiles (besides Force wave) since my Diamond Skin is gimped with the Arcane Power rune. But I think FN might outweigh the benefits. I'll have to try.

Any gear advice?
Reply Quote
I must respectfully disagree with others. Attack speed with a 1H is absolutely awesome with an Arcane Orb build. It helps launch multiple orbs quickly and speeds up your secondary, signature spell attack. If you'd like to see a high attack-speed orb build, just add me in game (see my profile for battletag) and we can play together for a bit.
Reply Quote

Well... yeah....
but, I don't think a one handed weapon will ever beat Skorn at damage per hit.
per second? yes... a good black one handed + triumvirate = much mor DPS than Skorn... no question about that...

but in damage per cast of Arcane Orb, I doubt you can go higher with a one handed setup.

I mean.... Skorn weapon damage can AVERAGE above 1400 PER HIT.
and it can have as high as 300% Critical Hit damage bonus with a Radiant Star Emerald....

I doubt even the most perfectly rolled one handed Black Weapon could ever top the damage of a critical Arcane orb cast with a good Skorn.

That said, no... he doesn't need a 2 hander....
but, Ideally, for this build as he REALLY needs to reduce the amount of AP spent per damage, a 2 hander would be a great asset....

and Skorns without Life Steal are CHEAP right now....
OP could buy one to test.... I think it will be better than 1 handed setup for this build any day of the week.

But... I could be wrong.... LOL!

You're not accounting for the fact that his arcane orb is sustainable via ApoC. Skorn will only allow you to maybe 1 more orb than your full AP will allow (with only Apoc on helm), unless you're only ever shooting into massive quantities of enemies.

Gotta account for casting sustainability. As long as your AP stays full with your APoC, OP, you'll be better off running a high black damage mainhand with some LL and maybe APOC (unless you are solvent where you are). That said, if you have a high enough crit rate to get by with JUST APOC on helm, then by all means, Skorn it up. Those things hit HARD. But I tested one and couldn't sustain casting with any big-hitter spells (meteor, orb). But my Crit rate isn't insane either, so thats' a different variable that I, personally, had to account for.

Not sure what your budget is like, but a wand with the following would be your best bet if you need to keep APoC:

Black damage (Min/max)
Open Socket
LL
APoC
Crit Damage
Int if possible, but that's a hard find.

If you don't need the extra ApOC that's even better, because then you can get a slower 1h with a higher base damage (hammers, axes) and slower attack speed.

However, if you're running an echoing fury right now and your attack speed isn't burning through your AP, I highly doubt a wand will do any worse...

No AP = no casting = no damage. Doesn't matter if your hitting for massive numbers if you can't keep the casting going.
Edited by Sevenernine#1753 on 11/30/2012 12:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just looked at your gear and realized you're not who I looked at earlier who had the Echoing fury. Your wand is pretty beast actually. Have you tried a trium? I don't think they can roll with the Arcane Orb crit damage, but they do add a lot of elemental damage (which is best benefited by a black weapon, like the one you have).
Reply Quote

You're not accounting for the fact that his arcane orb is sustainable via ApoC. Skorn will only allow you to maybe 1 more orb than your full AP will allow (with only Apoc on helm), unless you're only ever shooting into massive quantities of enemies.

Gotta account for casting sustainability. As long as your AP stays full with your APoC, OP, you'll be better off running a high black damage mainhand with some LL and maybe APOC (unless you are solvent where you are). That said, if you have a high enough crit rate to get by with JUST APOC on helm, then by all means, Skorn it up. Those things hit HARD. But I tested one and couldn't sustain casting with any big-hitter spells (meteor, orb). But my Crit rate isn't insane either, so thats' a different variable that I, personally, had to account for.

Not sure what your budget is like, but a wand with the following would be your best bet if you need to keep APoC:

Black damage (Min/max)
Open Socket
LL
APoC
Crit Damage

If you don't need the extra ApOC that's even better, because then you can get a slower 1h with a higher base damage (hammers, axes) and slower attack speed.

However, if you're running an echoing fury right now and your attack speed isn't burning through your AP, I highly doubt a wand will do any worse...

No AP = no casting = no damage. Doesn't matter if your hitting for massive numbers if you can't keep the casting going.

What I said is that no one handed setup would do more damage than a good Skorn per cast... not that it would be better in the long run.

I'm sure you can make Arcane Orb casting sustaintable via APoC....
but that will consume at least 2 affixes on your gear.

With a slow weapon, you may use a good Helm with APoC and make it sustainable exactly the same way.

That said, If you have more damage in a single cast, then you are free to move around more and still do relevant damage.

I don't think it's a easy decision anyway.

1 handers with big APoC has more DPS if you have enough APoC and time to shoot

2 handers has better Damage per AP ratio, bigger damage per cast, and you're safer as you can kite more.

If you can be standing and shooting 1 handers are better assuming you can make it susteinable because raw DPS is higher.
If you need to move around a lot, 2 handers are the way to go :)

I can easily see this build working in both setups, most likely it's player preference.
this build works well with any "Archon gear"... just swap the Helm for something with APoC and you're in for some serious Arcane Orb Spam.
Reply Quote
I use orb too but I set up to gain get insane mana regen with tal set, passive skill, and mana on crit for lighting and offhand source. So ie if my crit dmg total is giving me between 200-300kdps on average. I can throw out around 10 arcane orbs for a total of 1-2mil damage in that time span.

Update : my weapons may not be shown, I actually use Slorak and unwaving glare offhand
Reply Quote

Black damage (Min/max)
Open Socket
LL
APoC
Crit Damage

What I said is that no one handed setup would do more damage than a good Skorn per cast... not that it would be better in the long run.

I'm sure you can make Arcane Orb casting sustaintable via APoC....
but that will consume at least 2 affixes on your gear.

With a slow weapon, you may use a good Helm with APoC and make it sustainable exactly the same way.

That said, If you have more damage in a single cast, then you are free to move around more and still do relevant damage.

I don't think it's a easy decision anyway.

1 handers with big APoC has more DPS if you have enough APoC and time to shoot

2 handers has better Damage per AP ratio, bigger damage per cast, and you're safer as you can kite more.

If you can be standing and shooting 1 handers are better assuming you can make it susteinable because raw DPS is higher.
If you need to move around a lot, 2 handers are the way to go :)

I can easily see this build working in both setups, most likely it's player preference.
this build works well with any "Archon gear"... just swap the Helm for something with APoC and you're in for some serious Arcane Orb Spam.

Very good point. And I run an illusionist build so I just port everywhere, which is probably why I wasn't considering the kiting factor. I did use to run 2hers a long time ago, and the hits were a lot bigger, there's no denying that.

I suppose because of the nature of my build, and how calamity allows me to basically wave of force everything anytime I get hit at all (which is rare, because my mimics keep stuff frozen most of the time), I had forgotten what it was like to kite. And yes, in that scenario, you could probably get by with ApOC on just your helm, but only against large groups without a lot of standing around not casting. I just don't like to have down time, so that's my preference...

But I had a skorn laying around a while back, and tested out when I first switched back to AO and... Man... But it didn't have LL so I couldn't use it fulltime.
Reply Quote
1H > 2H

20 APoC + 18.5 arcane orb CC + IAS > Blk Dmg + Crit damage

my thoughts...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]