Diablo® III

Echoing Fury sold for 7,500 euros

11/30/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Hamburglar
The same item will be worth nothing next patch

This +12k
Reply Quote
Hope he had fun wasting money. In a patch or two that will probably lose like 50% of its value.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 02:15 PMPosted by Boneitis
This just makes me want to play more - we all have the EXACT same chance to find that echoing fury.

This is what's annoying about it now actually. If you're really good or really geared (or both), you can slightly increase your chances, otherwise it's a total crapshoot. You just have to play a ridiculous amount to see something like this.
Reply Quote
Except that's not true, it didnt sell for $12,000 or $8,000 or even $1. It sold for ficticious in game gold which you can get for free, so therefore it has no monetary value.

Ok so it takes effort to put together that much gold, or breaking the ToS, but its not real money. Just because some fool would pay .20c per million gold and you do the math, doesn't mean someone would pay $8,000 real money for that item. I am betting they would not.

Does anyone know what the most actual money someone paid for an item on RMAH is? I bet its not more than a couple hundred bucks, its definitely not $8,000.
Reply Quote
Acrimony
I don't understand what this has to do with your game experience. There is no pvp yet and even if some rich newb had bis gear and beat you to death in pvp how much would that really matter to you? You know where your gear came from and that is all that matters.

Now gtfo of my forums quitter!

:P

It bugs me because it cheapens the experience of grinding in the first place. That is, assuming, if PVP allows us to use our own gear. Otherwise, the grind is pointless and in effect, the game has no real end game.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Cannabidiol
Hope he had fun wasting money. In a patch or two that will probably lose like 50% of its value.

You really think someone that has that kind of money really cares? LOL
Reply Quote
Can you say 'account restore'?
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Aesthetic

You really think someone that has that kind of money really cares? LOL

Yea, the buyer mentioned that he makes 36,000 EU per month, so while it isn't pocket change for him, he still has a crazy amount of disposable income to blow.
Reply Quote
@ acrimoniou

It sucks and I realize that's how the world works, but I was really hoping for a level playing field.

LOL

Congrats on growing up then.

"People think that paying "real money" in a video game is a huge leap from paying in gold or from grinding for an item. What people don't realize is that currencies are only a numerical representation of value. As soon as there is a collective demand for goods, both virtual and "real," value is created. Humans developed currencies to represent this value in a tangible way, and to make the exchange of these goods more liquid.

When there is collective demand from real people for an item within a game market, the same value is created as anything else in the world, and you can put a number on it. That number can be different depending on the currency you are using to represent the value. You need a lot more Yen than Euros to represent the same value. The same goes for gold.

Gold is like a foreign currency. It represents value, but only within the specific game world. You can't use gold to buy things in stores in the US, just like you can't use Yen to buy things in those stores. If, however, you can convert that currency to a usable one, it has an "exchange rate." Gold has an exchange rate exactly like a foreign currency has. (Except gold is more easily exchanged than 90% of the currencies in the world) This is why botting should not only be against the rules, it should be illegal. (Korea kinda gets it)

So items are just exchanged at the value that demand sets. Regardless of whether it is in gold or real money. Or even in bartering. People demand, the market supplies.

It will get long, but bear with me.

The concept of "pay to win."

You always pay to win. I just explained how gold and USD are very much the same within a game economy, but there is something even less tangible that is also the same: time. Time is the most valuable currency there is. There is an exchange rate for time to money, but there is no exchange rate back.

Gamers who play within economies create the value of the currency (gold) when they take time to accumulate that currency, and the rarity of an item contributes to the item's value equal to the amount of time a person would have to play to statistically obtain it. This is very similar to any currency and wage labor. (I would love to hear Marx's thoughts on Diablo gold) This is time being converted into a currency. (THIS IS REALLY WHY BOTTING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL Through dilution, bots destroy real value that gamers create by playing.)

You always pay to win because you either pay in time or in a currency. Some people are rich in time, and some people are rich in currency. And anyone who spends more time will also have the skills to back it up. Plus, why not let people with a lot of money give your game time real-world value?

The only problem with Diablo in this regard IMO is that gear is possibly too much of a factor in terms of your heroes ability. Not that it shouldn't be significant, but it should be balanced with skill. This is a difficult balance for a dev team.

With this balance, paying money for the gear is the equivalent of purchasing nice golf clubs, or high tech running/climbing/basketball shoes. It's purchasing gear that gives you an edge on the competition in the game that you play. A thousand dollars for a good set of golf clubs gives you the ability to play the game of golf better than someone of equal skill playing with a $10 garage sale set. It doesn't automatically make you good, but it helps you get there. And if you love that game, then by all means play your best."

(c) some guy at reddit
Edited by Det0x#2856 on 11/30/2012 3:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
@det0x -- counterfeiting currency is illegal. Kind of like how buying gold from botters is enabling counterfeiters. That makes you a party to illicit activity. Grats.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Skittles
The crazy thing here is there is still one roll on that EF that isn't perfect (the 40% damage could have been 50%).

wrong actually, the 40% is perfect since it's one of the base stats of the item, which is lvl62. Only the random stats on lvl62 items can proc lvl63 stats now, in this case the crit dmg.
Reply Quote
Except that's not true, it didnt sell for $12,000 or $8,000 or even $1. It sold for ficticious in game gold which you can get for free, so therefore it has no monetary value.

Ok so it takes effort to put together that much gold, or breaking the ToS, but its not real money. Just because some fool would pay .20c per million gold and you do the math, doesn't mean someone would pay $8,000 real money for that item. I am betting they would not.

Does anyone know what the most actual money someone paid for an item on RMAH is? I bet its not more than a couple hundred bucks, its definitely not $8,000.

lol
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Dsybok
Does anyone know what the most actual money someone paid for an item on RMAH is?

max buyout is $250, I always assumed it was the bidding max as well, blizzard legal liability stuff.
Reply Quote
See this thread about price cap and floor:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200183080

The original seller got ripped off HARD thx to the 'legitimate' Auction House.

People consider your own interest.

What if you have something that sells more than 2bil? 2bil is now just so cheap, completely not able to reflect some BIS items. Black markets are the only option but not safe.
Reply Quote
I remember 2 months ago a dagger 1000 dps 800 loh 80 cd 1s was sold for $20k USD, this forum.

Btw I sense lots of QQ here. Always enjoyable.
Reply Quote
I feel sorry for the 250$ Person. :<
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Hamburglar
The same item will be worth nothing next patch

Ya I mean you have to wonder this lol.

And if they did add new gear that made it close to obsolete, the weapon would literally lose about all that value.
Reply Quote
In PVP weapons don't decide matches always.

Let's say this guy is rated at 100.00 in gear while another player is rated 82.00 in gear.

Now this guy has a 1300 DPS 1 handed weapon vs. a 1100-1150 1 handed weapon. Gear slightly resembles the same. Now let's say the guy who's rated 82.00 in gear is insane with a keyboard and plays all day while the guy who bought his weapon has to go to work and rarely plays.

The guy thinks that he just bought a solid weapon that will destroy anyone. Goes against this kid and sees 82.00 rating is gear. Every time the 82 player just wrecks this guy. This guy can't stand longer than 10-15 seconds even though his gear is insane. The guy with keyboard and mouse skills just is insane with it and can't go down.

The 82 player has a 100% chance of winning every time since he's so !@#$ing good with his skills. You know gear doesn't always mean you're better.

If I have a battle rifle and you have rockets in Halo 3. Your rockets take 1 shot and my BR takes 4 to put someone down. I still have a chance to use tactics to completely destroy you with the rocket 25 out of 25 times.

The gear doesn't make the player the player makes the gear. Meaning the gear isn't anything without the player. I tried to say something catch to end this...
Edited by FitHopeCom#1162 on 11/30/2012 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]