Diablo® III

A true spectral blade build (w/ MP10 vid)

If you want a build that:
- Uses sectral blade as one of the main source of damage
- Casts spectral blade without interruption due to casting other spells
- Refreshes cool down quickly without using twister
- Is great for speed farming
- Most importantly looks awesome! :D ... like this http://i.imgur.com/E8p1t.jpg
You might want to try this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQXSfh!egW!aZaacc

Demo MP4: http://youtu.be/xeLfmqrMXZ4

Demo MP10 - updated 12/17/12 http://youtu.be/WaMbW4rFPb0 Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQXkfh!egW!aYcbcc. The new thing is to use Mocking Demise + Fracture to actively ignite mirrors. I did it with LS from weapon and ~800 LoH from gears.

Main Skills
Active
- Spectral blade - deep cuts: highest proc rate among other blade runes
- Ice armor - frozen storm: slows down enemies, activates cold blooded, adds some procing, damage, 12% melee reduction & makes this build look awesome!
Passive
- Critical mass
- Cold blooded

Other skills: if you have to cast frequently, it must not take turn so that it will not interrupt spectral blade. I would reccomend those skills:
Active
- Energy blast - chain reactions: one of the main damage dealer and also can proc a little bit.
- Diamond skin - crystal shell: for survival
- Magic weapon - depending on situations. One fun reccomendation: use electricfy rune in dense areas.
- Teleport - pick your favourite one
- Slow time - slow, damage or AS rune.
- Mirror image - very useful against nightmarish, knockback & can break frozen, jailer...
- Hydra
- Familiar
Passive
- Conflagration - if you have fire damage e.g. from chantodo's will
- Blur
- Evocation
- Glass canon

As my main priority is to keep spamming blades continuously, I do not choose some popular skills such as twister, meteor, nova as they will interrupt it. By keep spamming blade you can also get the most damage out of it.

Game play: hold down spectral blade & spam DS, ice armor, EB whenever they are ready.

To give you some ideas about requirements, in the clip I ran this build with:
- 2.46 AS - 50%CC
- 9 APoC
- 470 LoH
These are probably minimum requirements. If you die too much or it takes too long too kill, go to a lower mp level. For me, I do speed farming at mp3-4, gears farming at MP7 with more LoH or LS.

Gear suggestions (updated 12/03/12):
- High AS & high CC is really good --> chantodo's set is preferable. However you will have to choose between CD & LS. My choice is chan will with OS & no APoC force with high vit & blade bonus.
- 1 source of APoC is more than enough.
- >1000 LoH or decent LoH + LS
- If weapon have no LS and you have high DPS, keep a LS weapon in the bag for reflect damage mobs. Mine is a LS chan will.
- Boost EHP with high vit/armor/AR gears. One of my favorite is Tal helm... or Mempo if you can afford one with good CC.
- >20 movement speed.
- Well rolled SOJ is highly recommended for elites.

==========

Build variations: (revised 12/05/12 after some further testing)

Hydra Blade: I call it that way because those are two main damage dealers.

The build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQkSfi!TgW!YZZcca

I came up with this build while trying to make it less dependent on CM and to take advantage of healing blades.

What's new:
- In short: DS, EB & 1 passive are replaced by familiar, hydra & arcane dynamo. Deep cuts is also changed to healing blades.
- Arcane dynamo boost damage of hydra for its lifespan => huge damage. This make hydra a great replacement for EB, even better than EB considering not-so-great proc rate of the build. Proof: http://youtu.be/XsKgmNlvhdQ
- No DS & EB means less dependent on CM. I only keep CM to refresh teleport which is my favorite. Illusionist does not work very well for me due to high mitigation & HP.
- As it is much less dependent on CM, healing blade is now a great rune for the build. This actually improves survivability significantly, even without DS!

Possible variations from this:
- Yes, shocking aspect could be a good one as it boost damage a lot. However, I like frozen storm much better as it looks awesome and gives me decent crowd control ability; it also adds damage and procs.
- Magic weapon runes (revised): Blood magic for a solid 6.5% LS for high MPs. For low MPs speed farming, electricfy should be the best.
- Mirror/duplicates is recommended for high MPs and can replaced by sparkflint for low MPs speed farming (revised).
- If you don't need CM, drop it for other skills to boost damage or defense, such as conflagration or blur...

Your thoughts and comments are very welcome.
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/17/2012 1:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Good to another person trying spectral blade. It's a lonely style lol.

if you pickup apoc on helm and drop the wand you can try my blade build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199910399?page=1
Edited by RulerEric#1854 on 12/1/2012 1:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, we are so lonely at the moment :D I'll add you so we can do some runs together if you like.

Your build is really good with higher proc rate and damage, but it is just me that like the feeling of keep slashing mobs so I'll go with this. I have gears to run meteor & SNS, but you know sometimes it is not just about efficiency & damage but fun! :)

However, spectral blade builds would shine in pvp imho as they have decent damage, no spin-up time (twister) or casting delay (meteor), lower gear requirement so gears should be cheaper and we will have more room to boost mitigation, EHP up.
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/1/2012 10:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
This build is so much fun--Rock thanks for posting this. I have been a CM/WW wiz since inception and even though I could run on MP10 it was getting a bit boring farming and doing uber runs using the same build. I guess I was missing the "fun" part and just worried about getting the job done.

The only thing I replaced was teleport for Time Warp, but I'm even thinking to change that to Slow Time when I get home tonight. The Frozen Storm and Slow Time stack and it's awesome, I wouldn't say it's a replacement for FN but it's pretty nice and if you have a higher MS you can get out of the way of the bad stuff. You really have to pay attention though. If you have decent RA and armor you can do a higher mp level and have fun doing it.

I still died a few times but it was fun and not frustrating. ;-)

Again, thanks for the build...
Reply Quote
Just tried this build thanks for posting it is a fun build and a good break from the norm of CM
Reply Quote
I've been using spectral blades for weeks, one of the truly overlooked skills IMO.

Spectral blades is quite possibly the most fun I've had in this game. CM/WW is so boring.

My build focuses on keeping them "in the circle" (slow time) and bombarding them with meteor showers while I chop them to pieces. I'm always in the fray like a Barb/Monk. I have a couple more pieces of gear to upgrade (my DPS should read 150k not 70k) for survivability but I can handle MP5 with ease.

Down with CM/WW wiz. Spec blades is just too fun.
Reply Quote
Hey, I just asked for feedback over in my build compendium about whether builds like this one should have their own section. I figured you might have something to say about that. Head over there if you do: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004037930?page=5#94

Okay, y'all, discussion time: Should I add a new "Melee Wiz" section?

I've seen a couple builds now:

-the Buff Wiz linked in the OP
-Rock's new spectral build here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199403658
-RulerEric's no-spinup build here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199910399

...that might deserve their own section. The builds are very dependent on CM, which makes me kind of want to toss them into CM-based, but they don't play the same as CM/WW and its variants (more stutter-stepping forward with SB, no WW-based windup period, permafreeze optional). They also don't seem to suck enough and there are too many of them for me to want to toss them into Other. Should I make a new section for them? If so, what should I call it?
Reply Quote
Well I used to be a die hard fan of spectral blades (been playing this build for around 800 hrs) but I realized at some point it could not handle MP>6 ... So I tried meteor / WW build with very good results in MP7 while I was just sometimes struggling in MP5 with 150k dps and a decent EHP, CC, asp and AR ...

I now run MP8 with comfort the SNS build but I still keep in mind this topic and will give try to the build u propose (since I now have a better gear than I used too). TY for sharing ! : )
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 12/3/2012 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
@AS00
CM needs to be split into a few sections:
"WW CM" (Wicked Wind)

"SS CM" (Signature Spell)
- Deep Cut http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199403658
- Healing Blade / Storm Chaser http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199910399
- Living Lighting / Meteor / Arcane Dynamo
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200061560
Still developing one myself: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200053947#4
Reply Quote
This build is so much fun--Rock thanks for posting this. I have been a CM/WW wiz since inception and even though I could run on MP10 it was getting a bit boring farming and doing uber runs using the same build. I guess I was missing the "fun" part and just worried about getting the job done.

The only thing I replaced was teleport for Time Warp, but I'm even thinking to change that to Slow Time when I get home tonight. The Frozen Storm and Slow Time stack and it's awesome, I wouldn't say it's a replacement for FN but it's pretty nice and if you have a higher MS you can get out of the way of the bad stuff. You really have to pay attention though. If you have decent RA and armor you can do a higher mp level and have fun doing it.

I still died a few times but it was fun and not frustrating. ;-)

Again, thanks for the build...

You're welcome bro. Yeah, I was once thinking of pushing slow effects to the max and tried out some skills. Bubbles are definitely good ones to considered - slow down enemies and projectiles. If you like it, use it! :D I just like to use teleport so much to give it up.

The other option is to use impactful blade --> if you cast it when enemies just reach ice armor aura, they will have a hard time trying to touch you lol. The only downside of that rune is low proc rate, which will affect LoH, damage from EB and defense from DS as it takes longer to refresh cooldown.

12/02/2012 03:11 PMPosted by salameri544
Just tried this build thanks for posting it is a fun build and a good break from the norm of CM

Welcome to the blade gang!

I've been using spectral blades for weeks, one of the truly overlooked skills IMO.

Spectral blades is quite possibly the most fun I've had in this game. CM/WW is so boring.

My build focuses on keeping them "in the circle" (slow time) and bombarding them with meteor showers while I chop them to pieces. I'm always in the fray like a Barb/Monk. I have a couple more pieces of gear to upgrade (my DPS should read 150k not 70k) for survivability but I can handle MP5 with ease.

Yeah, if you like more damage, that's a way to go. It would interrupt your blade a bit when you cast those spells so I skip them even though I know it can give me more damage/benefits. Spectral blade is a very cool skill and casting it without interruption just makes me feel really good. Anyway, if you like playing that way, go for it man - enjoy the game! :D
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/3/2012 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
RulerEric
@AS00
CM needs to be split into a few sections:
"WW CM" (Wicked Wind)

AS00
Hey, I just asked for feedback over in my build compendium about whether builds like this one should have their own section. I figured you might have something to say about that.

I am leaning towards AS00 suggestion a little bit. Eric's way is kinda logical but I agree with AS00 more that it deserves its own section as a different playing style. Melee Wiz sounds good or something related to spectral blade - I haven't got any cool name for it yet though.

P.S. I'll copy this to the discussion in compendium thread.
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/3/2012 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Many thanks for this build Rock.

I tried it and it works great especially the ice armour! I tried playing around with different combinations but I feel u got the skills spot on.

I tried healing blades but it doesn't proc cm as much as deep cuts which is a pity. I have low attack speed so that could be a reason.

Has anyone used healing blades successfully with this build?
Reply Quote
Is it true about chants wand making conflag work?

I use erics blade build albeit modified and firewalkers cuz I know they are burning I can see them burning.

Anyway +1 for another blades build. They are really superior over traditional CM for speed farming due to no windup.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 12/3/2012 7:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ QuetZal;

Cheers for Spectral Blade=)

I'm using Healing Blades to make up for heals - which my weapon/gear does not have. It's a cheaper alternative (especially for weapons), and lets one focus on damage.

I'm farming mp6 pretty comfortably, save for the occasional reflect mob ><
Reply Quote
Many thanks for this build Rock.

I tried it and it works great especially the ice armour! I tried playing around with different combinations but I feel u got the skills spot on.

I tried healing blades but it doesn't proc cm as much as deep cuts which is a pity. I have low attack speed so that could be a reason.

Has anyone used healing blades successfully with this build?

You're welcome bro. I really wish it would work with healing blade too but we can't proc fast enough with any other runes except deep cuts. I once hoped venom weapon with damage over time like deep cuts could replace it but it did not :( I tried many combinations but non worked as well as deep cuts.

Is it true about chants wand making conflag work?

I use erics blade build albeit modified and firewalkers cuz I know they are burning I can see them burning.

Hey, I believe so. I checked it by simply switching to an arcane weapon and mobs were not burned as they were with chan will.
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/3/2012 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Guys, I just added a new build in the first post.

Build highlights:
- Much less dependent on CM
- Healing blade is now the main skill, improving survivability a lot! LoH is not required now.
- Take advantage of arcane dynamo + venom hydra to boost damage

Comments and suggestions are very welcome!
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/5/2012 12:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nice find Rock. We have around the same armor and RA so how are you staying alive without DS? I get smoked on MP5-6 without the mitigation DS gives me--especially on reflect and even with 1400 LoH.

On top of that I was getting slowly drained by the stupid off the screen monsters, like the spear throwers and dudes that reach in the ground to give me a foot massage. For that I switched to Meteor Shower and my survivability has increase on the fields--in the keep it doesn't much matter because everything is contained in the small area.

Hydra looks promising, have to give that a go tonight.
Reply Quote
@wildman
I just tested mp7 with new build without DS and healing blades healed me fine. Compare to the original one, survivability is boosted considerably. With the new build, LoH does not hep much as it does not proc a lot, but 5% from healing blades is huge. Without healing blades, I would not drop DS.

I always take care of those rangers first - melee mobs will come to you. Now that the new build has hydra, you can also have them take care of rangers :).

The only problem so far is damage by hydra can be reflected but does not heal us at all, so I have to attack continuously facing RD mobs. One time I tried mammoth hydra and it just drained my HP like crazy even when I was healed by healing blades lol

*update* After some further testing, I ended up using both healing blades and blood magic for high MPs. For RD in high MPs, swapping CD with LS chants solved the problem for me. Mirror duplicates helped a lot too.
Edited by Rock#1954 on 12/5/2012 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've had good luck with Blizzard / Frozen Solid--although on RD I take some damage. Definitely need healing blades and Blood Magic otherwise life gets really hard.

I have a fair amount of LoH to mitigate but at the higher MP levels I really miss the tick rate of WW for that.
Reply Quote

CM/WW was fun when we got to play with moving Twisters (When Storm Chaser was mistakenly set to 0.5 proc rate). Stationary twisters is definitely boring... They should buff moving twisters (anything but WW) to 0.25 proc rate (there's almost no reason to use moving twisters in most cases).

Edit - About the question regarding Chantodo doing fire damage (and thus setting off the passive), with Spectral Blade (non-elemental damage), it should work.

Spectral Blade is the only spell Wizards have (sadly, if only there were more!) that do non-elemental damage (meaning if you have add +% to element or a weapon with a specific element, your blades will do that type of damage; I think you can have multiple elements applied at once with SB).
Edited by Bread#1353 on 12/6/2012 8:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]