Diablo® III

Why You Are Getting Killed By Reflect Damage

So, instead of being a child about this...why not just divide and conquer? As a side note, I do agree, a gear-switch button would be pretty cool. However, you're right, you shouldn't have to switch gear. Just use a different tactic

It was most effiecient to switch gear. I was rotating between my 3 cooldowns to help me survive, but it just took too damn long.

Oh, and before you look over my profile, by the way, and say I don't know how RD feels, trust me, I know how it feels. My top three characters have felt it pretty hard, and at least once, it's caused my Witch Doctor to die. Even with DPS far below 50k and on LOW MP levels, like 0 and 1, it still gets felt.

TLDR: Call this a mathematical bug all you like, but as it stands, when I see Reflect Damage packs, I fear it, I keep frosty and sharp, I press on and I win the battle however I can by fighting smart. When they nerf this, or "fix the bug" as you call it, it'll be like RD never even existed. Pray that DOESN'T happen.

You're just not geared to handle Reflect Damage at your low DPS. For low end DPS, 900 LoH will carry you a long way, even through the bug with the Minions. Of course you'll need a decent Armor and and All Resist rating too. If they just fix the minon problem, if you're not geared for RD, you'll still get owned by it. They are actually thinking of ways to nerf RD which is unnecessary. One of the things they are thinking of doing is making the damage reflected back periodic, which I would imagine to be like shields.
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 11:51 AMPosted by hayze
I have around 215k dps buffed while attacking and i rarely have any problems with reflect damage, unless i run into a horde pack and hit like 4 mobs at the same time with 1.5mil crit...but i dont die from that just hits me for around like 30-40k hp

Ah, I bet having really high Vit helps you not die, but also having the high DPS helps you kill them fast enough for you not to kill yourself. That combination works well. I admit if I admit if I had more vitality I coud sneak a few extra big hits in and kill them fast enough before I could kill myself with my 3 skills that help me live of course.

Even though you're not dying from them, you still notice the drastic difference between hitting RD Minions and any other types of elites with RD right?
Reply Quote
View profile
This whole topic tells me that reflect damage is working as intended. It's meant to scale upwards with the more dps (with respect to ehp and regen/LoH/LL) your character has. The whole idea of Diablo is to balance your stats (just a little). If you don't and wonder why reflect is hurting you too much . . . . then you know the reason.

I know the pain on my main character. But he hates extra health and not reflect. But both are working as intended. Just need to work out ways to beat it.
Why do you post on topics like you know what you're talking about, but decide to hide your profile from the topic viewers?
That is ignorance in itself. Then you proceed to insult the op's intelligence and everyone else's that experienced issues with RD, because you're probably a 40-80k dps scrub with bad gear and RD has no concern for you.

You have problems with Extra health? Further proves your dmg is crap and RD is once again no concern of yours. Kbai.

RD has some serious problems since 1.5, not arguable. The dev's keep messing with affixes for some reason, when they need no changes, my guess would be because they want people to be constantly changing/upgrading their gear to make them more rmah sales. They clearly don't make any efforts to make the game more enjoyable, 99.9% of the time they're just ruining our game for no apparent reason, then their own greed.
Reply Quote
OP you have no LoH, LS or LR. No wonder you are dying.
Reply Quote
This has been discussed in the foruns over and over again. This is a really frustrating issue, most of the players won't even notice, but high end dps geared ppl are getting destroied by RD ever since 1.05.

We did get a response from a blue saying that there's nothing wrong with it, but is so obviously wrong that the response just make the problem even more frustrating.

I mentioned this a few times in the foruns but here we go again, i have about 650k EHP UNBUFFED, it goes way over 1m with one or two passives, i have lifesteal aswell as Loh, i can play ringaroundtherosie on arcane sentrys, i dont even feel the need to spec One With Everything excep when i face RD minions, i can be instagib if i dont pay atention. RD single handedly makes me spec deffensive passives and use defensive skills on anything higher than mp3. Is ridiculously how this affix can be so out of tune with the rest of the elite affixes. If the RD damage is the "normal" then all the other affixes need to be buffed to cause at least double the damage so it all be in line.
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 02:37 PMPosted by BoNeCrUsHeR
OP you have no LoH, LS or LR. No wonder you are dying.

LOL, go look at my profile again and pay attention to the gear.
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/truongsifu-1826/Inshun/3380589

If even that's too hard for you to understand I'll open up my game and copy the in game stats.

Armor 5603
Damage 156044.91
Crit Hit Chance 49.5%
Crit Hit Damage 451%
Dodge Chance 45.7%
Damage Reduction 65.13%
Physical Resistance 708 (70.25% Reduction. That goes for the rest of them)
Cold Resistance 708
Fire Resistance 708
Lightning Resistance 708
Poison Resistance 708
Arane Resistance 708
Crow Control Reduction 13.99
Melee Damage Reduction 11.64%
Maximum LIfe 30,297
Total Bonus Life 12%
Life Per Second 605
Life Steal 5.9%
Maximum Spirit 150
Spirit Regenerated per Second 1.8

Now go learn how to read a profile. haha
Edited by TruongSifu#1826 on 11/28/2012 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
[quote="71990550297"]
Even though you're not dying from them, you still notice the drastic difference between hitting RD Minions and any other types of elites with RD right?

Deffo noticing when minions are involved, i can take on 2 packs on mp7 that has reflect dmg, as long as they are not health linked or has minions. But if i run into a pack with minion and i may actually instakill myself.

I have about 220k unbuffed dual wielding, with 500AR, 5.5k armor and depending on pack, either 2.8% LS or 5.8% LS. AS of 2.74 or 2.84.
Pointless looking at profile, not been updated for days for some reason.
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 03:11 PMPosted by jihn
Pointless looking at profile, not been updated for days for some reason

Have you logged out since then? I know, that'd be an insane amount of time to not log out, but you never know. The game doesn't update profiles until you log out. Not trying to be condescending or anything, but sometimes people just don't know. I didn't know until my friend told me about that.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 01:48 PMPosted by FooTWO
Leave reflect damage alone. You idiots control your mouse and keyboard. Just don't click attack so much. Lift your finger off the button here and there and allow yourself to heal. It will be just fine. it is no different then easing off the throttle when going around a curve. But you idiots like to mash the pedal to metal and fly over the cliff.....

Yup. I'll just heal on my monk somehow without attacking. I mean sure, I can't use LS, or LoH, or even LpSS but I'll magically increase my health somehow by not attacking... Or... Wait, that's not possible is it?
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 02:31 PMPosted by TruongSifu
I have around 215k dps buffed while attacking and i rarely have any problems with reflect damage, unless i run into a horde pack and hit like 4 mobs at the same time with 1.5mil crit...but i dont die from that just hits me for around like 30-40k hp

Ah, I bet having really high Vit helps you not die, but also having the high DPS helps you kill them fast enough for you not to kill yourself. That combination works well. I admit if I admit if I had more vitality I coud sneak a few extra big hits in and kill them fast enough before I could kill myself with my 3 skills that help me live of course.

No, the higher health keeps him from one hitting himself, and as long as he doesn't get instakilled shadow power will steal that health back for him. The issue is that life steal comes in after the damage is dealt to you, so if RD reflects 50.1k damage at him, he'll die, even if he would have stolen 200k life. One of the biggest issues of RD is that high dps characters CAN'T stack enough LS, since it doesn't count. If you're using something with low damage and fast ticks (WW barb, CM Wizard) then it's not a big deal. Shoot loaded for bear though...
Reply Quote
Pointless looking at profile, not been updated for days for some reason

Have you logged out since then? I know, that'd be an insane amount of time to not log out, but you never know. The game doesn't update profiles until you log out. Not trying to be condescending or anything, but sometimes people just don't know. I didn't know until my friend told me about that.

Yeah, its weird, been logged in and out many times since last update on my profile page.
Just did it again now, and the only thing that changed is when my profile was updated last. Gotta love it =/

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jihn-2784/hero/75399
Edited by jihn#2784 on 11/28/2012 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Guybrush
No, the higher health keeps him from one hitting himself, and as long as he doesn't get instakilled shadow power will steal that health back for him. The issue is that life steal comes in after the damage is dealt to you, so if RD reflects 50.1k damage at him, he'll die, even if he would have stolen 200k life. One of the biggest issues of RD is that high dps characters CAN'T stack enough LS, since it doesn't count. If you're using something with low damage and fast ticks (WW barb, CM Wizard) then it's not a big deal. Shoot loaded for bear though...

I was looking at his barb. Barbs have Shadow Power? My Life Steal seems to be instant. I don't see health drop and go back up with my monk when I hit a RD Blue Pack. Anyways my point was that with more DPS, with my monk at certain MPs, usually the lower ones I can hit them a few times and they'll die due to my high DPS and I won't kill myself since I killed them fast enough. That's with 30k health. Now if I want to do higher MPs and want to do that, It'd help me to get both higher DPS and higher Vit to scale with it so I could do the same right?

Right now I do MP7 and I can hit the minions when sweeping wind is up a few times, then when my health looks like I could start killing myself from some shots, I pop Serenity for 4 sec Invulnerability, and let my DPS kill them off so I don't have to worry about them. Sometimes I'll need to do 7 sided strike to help with the DPS and get rid of them so I don't have to worry anymore. So with that build if I had more DPS, I could just Serenity and wipe them out before they could do anything, if I had higher Vit I could do a few more attacks and not worry about using my skills till a little later. So I guess what I'm saying is if I had DPS and Vit I would be able to do more damage to the minions and of course I would get more damage reflected back, but higher vital would make it so I could handle it. Let's say if I had higher DPS and higher Vital I could hit them a few times, almost die, and kill them, but survive.

I don't know if I explained how I see it right. Sorry if I'm being ignorant to something, but that's the way I see it and what I meant. No offense or anything intended dude.
Reply Quote
i agree with OP, i noticed this the first day after hot fix, it would be a 5 hit death, or 3 if i happened to get smacked or land in a pool at the very same time.

i run on my monk 5k armor 660 res all 2.9LS 250LOH, 300 Regen 6% elite dmg reduction, 143K unbuffed (284 buffed)
i swap my EF out for my RD Minion weapon which brings me to 5.1LS 1000 LOH 115K unbuffed, i can go to 8 hits before death. ( don't look at my online profile as its just for mp1)

I also notice like the OP does, non minion/horde/health link RD is non issue. I can stand in between all 3 and hit all of them and nothing hurts.
Edited by nWc#1366 on 11/28/2012 4:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, its weird, been logged in and out many times since last update on my profile page.
Just did it again now, and the only thing that changed is when my profile was updated last. Gotta love it =/

Oh, no idea why your European profile isn't updating to the dual wield you mentioned, but yeah it's pointless to look at your profile on the North American forums because it's only pulling up your character on the North American Servers. Unless you do have more than that level 1 Barb on the North American Servers.
Reply Quote
Other classes actually noticing this or what?

Profile updated on EU now Sifu :)
Reply Quote
I wonder if the RD plus overawe is working as intended. They take more damage so they reflect more, but I am not doing more damage so lifesteal does not overcome this problem. Feels weird.
Reply Quote
reflect damage is nothing to worry about... if they are going to fix something, fix molten damage
Reply Quote
Reflect + health link is very inconsistant. Sometimes I take next to no damage. Other times I get nuked though shadow power. Seems like a bug to me. And if that bug exists who knows what else it affects.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 07:41 AMPosted by automatic
reflect damage is nothing to worry about... if they are going to fix something, fix molten damag

Molten + Fast really sucks, or even just Molten with monsters that like to run away from you or naturally fast ones.
Reply Quote
Molten + Vortex + Jailer = sad me
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]