Diablo® III

The Freeze Barb Build

This is my first time ever posting on these forums, so forgive me if someone has already posted on a similar build. I do not claim to be anywhere near the best, but my Barbarian can easy the ubers on Monster Power 5 without ever getting below half health and I didn't need hundreds of millions of gold to accomplish this. My build is basically the double whirlwind build with an emphasis on getting as high of chance to freeze as possible. Unfortunately, this limits the build to a few certain items. Still if you can reach the max freeze chance possible at 27.8% you will find that this build is frighteningly good.

Skills:
-Whirlwind, with hurricane rune
-Frenzy with maniac or vanguard (if you want even more mobility)
-Warcry with Impunity
-Sprint with run like the wind
-Wrath of the Beserker with Thrive on Chaos
-Battlerage with into the fray

Passives:
-Ruthless
-Bloodthirst
-Tough as nails/nerves (depends on your vitality)

Other options could be weapons master, ruthless, or superstition for people with low resist issues.

Gear: This is an extremely gear dependent build, and to reach the max freeze chance you must use very specific gear.

Weapon: Azurewrath, there is no substitute for the barb who wants to make ice sculptures out of ubers. 15% (Mine is 14.6%) max freeze chance and 21% max increased attack speed are great for this build. There is no life on hit, but you will get your life on hit from other gear and hopefully if you have over 20% freeze you wont be getting hit too often, as the nados from sprint proc freeze.

Shield: Any Rare/Legendary with 2.6% freeze chance or close to it. Stormshields can have chance to freeze, but I personally use a rare that gives more crit chance. Anything over 2% freeze chance is serviceable, mine currently has 2.5% chance to freeze.

Belt: Any Rare/Legendary with 5.1% chance to freeze or close to it. I currently use a solid rare, but I highly recommend immortal kings belt because it can roll good mods for ww and gives life leech, but a solid rare is plenty serviceable.

Pants: Blackthorne's Set pants or a good rare, though I recommend these pants because u will need as much life on hit as you can get and these are the only pants that give life on hit, mine give me 474 life on hit our of a possible 479.

Amulet: Star of Azkarnath with close to perfect freeze chance (p =5.1%). You can get away with not using this but it is the only ammy with freeze chance and I highly recommend it. They can roll with some good mods like crit damage or all resists.

Rings: This is really your call, I use rings with crit dmg, resists, attack speed, and other mods. I may use a hellfire ring down the road once I buy the damn plan XD, I already have plenty of organs, but havent bought the 2 million gold plan from squirt.

Helm: Any rare/legendary you want

Boots: Any rare/legendary with good mods and close to 12% increased walk/run speed.

Lastly some tips for playing with this build. While this build is easy to play there are some small things that can make you almost unstoppable.

Corral elites: When you run into elite packs hit battlerage, pop wrath and circle them with sprint. The nados will imprison them in ice the whole fight or most of it at least. When you learn to effectively circle them, elite packs literally can't fight back.

Always have battlerage on: It is easy not to notice certain things in the middle of a long fight. Keeping battlerage going has to be a priority for anyone using the build. It keeps your wrath going and it allows you to use whirlwind almost limitlessly.

I am not even close to being the best diablo player, but this build has been fun for me and very effective even at the higher monster power levels. Some of the gear is pricey like the ammy and weapon, but it is well worth it. If anyone has any improvements for this let me know, I am always trying to get better.
Reply Quote
Use a cold stone of jordan too to slow every enemy you attack, not to mention the freeze effect. You will be like an iceblink barb back in D2 before they nerfed it.
Reply Quote
I hope I find a stone of jordan, because my gold is seriously low XD. But Im farming and ubering so hoping il improve slowly over time. Another thing I was thinking of was getting chill on hit shoulder for even more slow/freeze
Reply Quote
Dont worry about a chill proc on shoulders when you can either get a cold soj or a cold damage offhand for the same effect 100% of the time. Its not worth it unless you go for high stun effect on your gloves.
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Wayneold
Dont worry about a chill proc on shoulders when you can either get a cold soj or a cold damage offhand for the same effect 100% of the time. Its not worth it unless you go for high stun effect on your gloves.

what do u mean chill proc on shoulders o.O
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Wockets

Isn't it shoulders that can get % chance to chill on hit as an affix? Maybe im wrong.....its been a while since I have even seen that type of affix.
Reply Quote
Shoulders give that proc, but your right, might switch to an offhand azurewrath at some point, that'd be ridiculous.
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Wockets

He means chill chance, proc just means how often something happens. In this case, chilling things.
Edited by BrianGoudy#1540 on 11/22/2012 5:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Oh yea you are right

Here are the list of Procs on all slots
wpn : chance to (everything : blind , chill , fear , freeze , immobilise , knockback , slow , stun )
other's that can freeze include echoing fury , blade of the warlord etc ( but i think since u use azure wrath as an offhand , it would be advisible to get an EF with lifesteal + socket here of course as much dps as you can and strength version

amulet : chance to blind ( any idea what is this ? )
Legendary : Kymbo's chance to knockback
star of azkaranth's chance to freeze ( or everything else wow)

belt : chance to freeze ( IK / lamentation /witching hour top choices)

boots : chance to immobilise ( any idea what is this ? )

bracers : chance to knockback
legends : strong arm's chance to knockback

chest armour : gold skin : chance to make enemies drop gold ( wonder if it works on PvP LOL drop your billions of gold ! )

gloves : chance to stun
legends : stone gauntlets chance to stun

helm : chance to fear
blind fate : chane to blind on hit
Nats: chance to fear on hit

pants : chance to slow on hit
legends : Pox faulds : chance to stink ( wtf ? lol !)

rings : legends : broken promise chance to fear
justice lantern chance to block
hellfire ring : chance to fireball

shoulders : chance to chill
Reply Quote
According to d3 rmt max state website:

:Belt 5.1%
Off hand 2.6%
Azurewrath 15

Thats 22% ish chance to freeze - it will be interesting to see how it works out! fraps it if you get the chance!
Reply Quote
According to d3 rmt max state website:

:Belt 5.1%
Off hand 2.6%
Azurewrath 15

Thats 22% ish chance to freeze - it will be interesting to see how it works out! fraps it if you get the chance!

Perfect is 27.8%

Azurewrath = 15% Max
Offhand = 2.6% Max (as you stated)
Belt = 5.1 Max
Star of Azkarnath = 5.1 Max

For a total of 27.8% being the best you could possibly have. With frenzy/whirlwind you hit so fast and so often that the % being so high is almost like infinite freeze sometimes. Currently im still working on getting the ammy, but right now im at 22.2% which isn't ideal but getting items with perfect freeze is expensive so I just try to get as close as I can.
Reply Quote
Would dual-wielding actually increase the percentage or would it just keep switching from the % of one azurewrath to the other?
Reply Quote
11/23/2012 04:20 PMPosted by NugsBunny
Would dual-wielding actually increase the percentage or would it just keep switching from the % of one azurewrath to the other?

You can't dual wield aurewraths can you? Or you mean just find a regular weapon with some freeze on it?

I would think with sprint it goes off your main hand, but with WW you go off both, so yeah you would freeze more.
Reply Quote
The Star or the Belt would be the most pricey too FYI, I lucked out and got a perfect %dmg bonus to bash belt with 4% chance to freeze, only problem is it has 2.8% ll which isn't ideal but I mean 3% is only +.2
Reply Quote
Of course grab the scoundrel follower. Multishot and a burrizza. Even more freeze for you.
Reply Quote
could you post a link to your profile? i'm curious to see what your gear looks like.
Reply Quote
I have a lil freeze on my echo, freeze on my belt, good times on uber runs. My other barb pals have picked up a few freeze pieces as well. MP9 is really painless. 10 would be as well but were short dps.

My follower is usually dead when the freeze would matter, mp9 or 10, but he does use the buriza.
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Wxmyjnsn
Post profile so we can see your gear. I'm intrigued. I tried to make a fire build, worked ok but just did not work as intended.

+1
Edited by swapto#1469 on 12/10/2012 9:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
interesting build. can share ur profile over here?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]