Diablo® III

The Freeze Barb Build

Well, I decided to tinker around after reading your post and grabbed a high 800 dps azurewrath, a 1k dps skysplitter with a socket, and an ik belt with % chance to freeze. The azurewrath has 10% freeze, belt has 4% i think, and skysplitter has 10%. I decided to run MP 3 just to see how efficient it was, and let me tell you that even with the substantial drop in dps I fealt like I was downing enemies quicker because they were held in place and forced to take every tick of nado dmg from RLtW, I also had alot less oh sh!t moments due to fact that enemies were stunned a majority of the time. I think that if geared properly with a 20% high dps skysplitter, and a perfect ias perfect freeze % high dps azurewrath and nicely rolled ammy/belt with freeze chance and some other stun modifiers in other slots that this would be remarkeably effective in almost any situation as I feel that it would almost garauntee stunlocking whatever you're going to encounter. Even with my low rolls I still kept everything stunned for a majority of the fight.

TLDR; This works well especially with gear that has high stun % rolls.
Reply Quote
looks like a fun build. i will surely give this a try in the new future. will even try to fully utilize and optimize it. nicely done.
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm an advocate of stacking CC effects on gear.
Try stacking % Chance to Stun on your gloves to supplement the freeze.
Reply Quote
I agree. With my gear i get 25%, I never thought of using a sky splitter! With 35% freeze I would never take damage. The only problem I found is that any higher than MP5 and it took days to for a fight (not enough DPS). It is fun to play a freeze barb (especially in a party when people are not expecting it), that's right I said FUN!

Yeah beyond MP5 doing enough damage to be efficient is tough, but I am currently working on getting to 3000+ strength to combat that issue. I am at 1680 strength right now and I do 32k damage (base) so with twice the amount I should be able to reach 60+k damage while maintaining close to max freeze. At that point I should be able to do even level 10 monster power.

12/17/2012 09:22 PMPosted by Enzo
looks like a fun build. i will surely give this a try in the new future. will even try to fully utilize and optimize it. nicely done.

Please do!!! I am always looking for ways to improve, so let me know if you find things that make the build work even better!

***Another Item to add to the build is the Ice Climbers Boots, got a pair with decent strength, but I am aiming for 300 strength pair end game, ideally. Great boots for the build and really fit the theme well. I love how they look too.

Someone asked me to post my profile for viewing my char, I would love to but do not know how. If anyone can help with that, I will gladly post my char on the forums. Thanks! Keep the comments coming!!
Reply Quote
great to see people are experimenting and not just tunnel visioning Paragon levels or emulating what everyone else does. Really cool read!
Reply Quote
You can actually hit far more than 60k DPS with the proper items, I was at 77k with skysplitter MH, Azurewrath OH, IK belt with freeze chance and gloves with stun %, if you optimize your gear properly you can easily hit 100k DPS and maintain high stun % though I still don't see it being efficient in higher MP levels except for utility reasons as I beleive that if geared properly you can be as useful if not moreso than a CM wizzie.
Reply Quote
I also wonder if a WW barb with the use of frenzy/smite and freeze setup could indefinately stun ubers completely negating their enrage timers, I feel like you could get the ubers grouped together and WW like crazy if you have skysplitter 20%, Azurewrath 15%, Belt 5%, Ammy 5%, Shoulders 5%? and gloves 4%? With max C.C. rolls on every slot in combination with frenzy/smite and high ias I feel like this build and gearset would absolutely demolish any other class in terms of crowd control. I could be way off base but it just seems unstoppable if you hit a high enough breakpoint for your nados, you can stack 5 nados on one enemy that each tick 26-30 times with a 50% chance to stun, in theory it just sounds insane.
Reply Quote
View profile
Do these actually have a chance to proc on every nado tic? I played with a sky splitter a while back and seemed to remember very infrequent procs.
Reply Quote
Freeze builds are actually very, very fun. Using Azurewrath + Freeze WH belt (advise against the ammy since you lose too much stats, I was a mini CM Wizard. DPS was pretty good although some mobs gave me issues due to the lack of any lifesteal / LoH on Azurewrath.

12/19/2012 08:54 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
Do these actually have a chance to proc on every nado tic? I played with a sky splitter a while back and seemed to remember very infrequent procs.

Skysplitter has an internal-cooldown to the smite proc.
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 12/19/2012 9:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Substitute Freeze ammy for Blind % chance rare ammy
Reply Quote
I've tried this build quite awhile ago. Passed my gears to my wd. Can check both profiles for the items.

Atk speed helps because you get in more hits, means more chance to proc.

Azurewrath should be off-hand for the 20% attack speed, and nados atk spd is based on off-hand, everything else is average/total.

For added fun, try this
Goldskin, azurewrath, freeze belt, blackthrone pants, star ammy, stun gloves, immob boots

Stack as much crit chance and atk speed, since you ain't killing them fast anyway. Try on grom/azmordan and RICHES!
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Chris
Substitute Freeze ammy for Blind % chance rare ammy

Seems like a solid idea for pvm, but I don't know if blind will do anything in pvp and this build is going to be my primary dueling build too whenever D3 comes out with pvp.

It seems like the nados either proc freeze or don't with azurewrath from my experience. If they do proc it they proc it every hit which is awesome, but if they don't they don't seem to freeze at all. I just keep spamming sprint and whirling around til everything freezes though.

12/19/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Deadlight
great to see people are experimenting and not just tunnel visioning Paragon levels or emulating what everyone else does. Really cool read!

Exactly why I tried it, cookie cutter builds bore me to sleep, plus its more effective for me than other builds I have tried. Glad you enjoyed reading the build though man, thanks for the comment.
Reply Quote
What Dead said. I'm still working on getting to uber on my barb with ww that I really don't feel like I can go in another direction gear-wise, but way to go on a unique take on a build. It sounds fantastic... I'd love to see some video of it in action...
Reply Quote
rltw has 8% proc chance, so 20% chance to freeze is 1.6% actually with tornadoes, a little more for ww, but still pretty low
Reply Quote

It seems like the nados either proc freeze or don't with azurewrath from my experience. If they do proc it they proc it every hit which is awesome, but if they don't they don't seem to freeze at all. I just keep spamming sprint and whirling around til everything freezes though.

I like to add on to this. Sky splitter like some of the other legendaries have their own cooldown timer, so that you cannot have subsequent procs very close to each other.

Secondly, this is what I figured, you alternate between main and off-hand, so effects from one of the weapons like sever and azurewrath procs 50% of the time.

The proc works like this, 25% freeze -> 25% chance, then 0, then 25% so on.. instead of 12.5% average.
You can try it out with just shield and azurewrath, you'll see that monsters freezes more often.
Belt with 5% freeze chance, however, is a flat rate, works somewhat like average damage on rings/ammy since it's like adding 5% chance to each of both weapons when dw, or just 5% to 2-h/sword n board.

Anyway azurewrath as off-hand gets your nados to hit allot faster, so still not so bad after all.
Reply Quote
You need more crit chance, I counted 14.5% on your gear. You need more badly. get it on your rings.

Go to D3UP.com and import your profile. It will tell you how much DPS 1% crit chance gives you. As well as how much 1 primary stat, 1% Attack speed, and 1% crit damage give you. You will learn very quickly waht to stack up to get more dps ;)

It does the same for eHP stats.
Edited by PR1M3R#1148 on 12/20/2012 4:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]