Diablo® III

The Freeze Barb Build

You need more crit chance, I counted 14.5% on your gear. You need more badly. get it on your rings.

Go to D3UP.com and import your profile. It will tell you how much DPS 1% crit chance gives you. As well as how much 1 primary stat, 1% Attack speed, and 1% crit damage give you. You will learn very quickly waht to stack up to get more dps ;)

It does the same for eHP stats.

He has a strong main barb also, his freeze barb is secondary.

@Wxmyjnsn - You need more crit damage too, and you need allot of good rolls in other gears to cover for the lack of dps due to azurewrath. Paper dps isn't really accurate when you are focusing on tornados. http://www.d3rawr.com/d Use profile import, and check your damage from skills.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BrianGoudy-1540/hero/25626686

My barb if anyone wants to check him out. I know my shoulders and ammy suck but I'm working on it.
Reply Quote

It seems like the nados either proc freeze or don't with azurewrath from my experience. If they do proc it they proc it every hit which is awesome, but if they don't they don't seem to freeze at all. I just keep spamming sprint and whirling around til everything freezes though.

I like to add on to this. Sky splitter like some of the other legendaries have their own cooldown timer, so that you cannot have subsequent procs very close to each other.

Secondly, this is what I figured, you alternate between main and off-hand, so effects from one of the weapons like sever and azurewrath procs 50% of the time.

The proc works like this, 25% freeze -> 25% chance, then 0, then 25% so on.. instead of 12.5% average.
You can try it out with just shield and azurewrath, you'll see that monsters freezes more often.
Belt with 5% freeze chance, however, is a flat rate, works somewhat like average damage on rings/ammy since it's like adding 5% chance to each of both weapons when dw, or just 5% to 2-h/sword n board.

Anyway azurewrath as off-hand gets your nados to hit allot faster, so still not so bad after all.

chance to freeze is just an affix, like loh for example.

the chance to proc from tornado hits is 8%.
from those 8% hits only 20% or whatever your chance to freeze is get to work.

so the actual chance to proc from rltw tornadoes is 1.6% which is extremely low.

even with 100% chance to freeze only 8% of tornado hits would proc it.

ww has slightly more proc chance but still pretty low compared to other skills.
Reply Quote

chance to freeze is just an affix, like loh for example.

the chance to proc from tornado hits is 8%.
from those 8% hits only 20% or whatever your chance to freeze is get to work.

so the actual chance to proc from rltw tornadoes is 1.6% which is extremely low.

even with 100% chance to freeze only 8% of tornado hits would proc it.

ww has slightly more proc chance but still pretty low compared to other skills.

There's a slight difference here. LOH happens every hit, amount multiplied with with proc coef. Freeze is similar to crit chance, the 'chance' is calculated every hit.

The wind attacks per second increases and have dot which actually stacks.

WW with slightly more proc chance .26, say in with atk spd of 2, your WW hit twice per second.
Likewise, RLTW, each wind hit twice, but each cast will have 4 nados which last for 3 sec.

So in 3 Sec, you have 2 X 4 X 3 X .24 for each cast of RLTW, while the same 3 seconds WW only gives 2 X 3 X .26

You can opt to have both though, the idea of cc proc is to stack as many chances as possible within a shortest time frame. This is the same reason why CM/ET wizards stacks so much apoc/crit chance/atk spd.

Their purpose is slightly straight forward since they need to get off 9 crits within 3 sec(freeze duration) to refresh cooldown on coldsnap.
Freezing barb need to have the chance to freeze as high as possible, since the maximum roll for freeze in all possible gears is 40%, losing dps from both weapons (20 from azurewrath and 5 in MH).

If the concern is not about permanent freezing, throwing in other CC like stuns in gloves will keep mob CC almost infinity.

So in weapon master, mighty weapons gives 3 fury per hit, while 10% chance for axe/mace per hit.
Reply Quote
HachiKumo - Does freeze proc from RLTW - Nados if Azurewrath is on the OH? I don't think it does since EF does not proc the fear on OH.
Reply Quote
Eh, mine did, I don't even have freeze belt at that time. Was using Burning Axe of Sankis MH, and azurewrath in OH. Not sure about echoing fury though.
So far RLTW to me is the best way to freeze.

I tried seismic slam too, can generate allot of fury meaning should proc, but the knockback prevent the freeze from happening.
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 12/21/2012 6:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Nugs, you should try grabbing a high dps Skysplitter with OS and 15+% smite chance to throw in your MH and then throw that azurewrath in your OH, your nados will tick for alot more damage, not to mention if you last swung with your OH they will tick a ton of times especially with alot of ias gear, this will keep enemies stunlocked almost indefinately.
Reply Quote
I am looking for a skysplitter to use an Offhand but they are a little pricey for me at the moment, plus if you look at my build I already have a pretty damn good shield. My knight blizzard gives max crit chance at 10%, 254 strength (admittedly it could be higher strength), and 2.5/2.6 freeze chance. Really, the only reason I'd change my shield to an off-hand was if the offhand weapon was just leaps and bounds better. I only regret that my shield gives no all resists, but the stats aside from that are otherworldly for my build.
Reply Quote
12/23/2012 11:00 AMPosted by NugsBunny
I am looking for a skysplitter to use an Offhand but they are a little pricey for me at the moment, plus if you look at my build I already have a pretty damn good shield. My knight blizzard gives max crit chance at 10%, 254 strength (admittedly it could be higher strength), and 2.5/2.6 freeze chance. Really, the only reason I'd change my shield to an off-hand was if the offhand weapon was just leaps and bounds better. I only regret that my shield gives no all resists, but the stats aside from that are otherworldly for my build.

Your dps is strictly limited to your main-hand if you're using shield. I'd pick one hand for dps and my other for utility, else either my damage suffers or I'll need to pay high price for good/BiS gears.

Your paper dps will be raised if you increase your crit dmg, from what I see its in your ammy.
To hit at least 300% crit dmg for more than 100k dps, you are left with ammy, weapon, belt, gloves, and two rings.
Your case
ammy - done
weapon - 100% crit dmg + socket <- 200% potential, left with 150% for socket sky splitter
belt - witching hour with freeze (=.=)
gloves - 50%
rings - 50% x 2

To best take advantage of not spending too much, you can have a off-hand weapon to increase the atk spd(dw), cc(frez,imo), critical dmg, loh/ls and you won't need the extra armor and 80 all resist on shield.

Last note, crit chance improves your average, but don't increase your dps if your dont increase your crit dmg. You might be able to crit often, but if the crit dmg is almost the same as your normal dmg, it is pointless.
Reply Quote
Your paper dps will be raised if you increase your crit dmg, from what I see its in your ammy.
To hit at least 300% crit dmg for more than 100k dps, you are left with ammy, weapon, belt, gloves, and two rings.
Your case
ammy - done
weapon - 100% crit dmg + socket <- 200% potential, left with 150% for socket sky splitter
belt - witching hour with freeze (=.=)
gloves - 50%
rings - 50% x 2

I have to admit, I never even considered Witching Hour and it is a superior option compared to IK's.

As far as the rings are concerned, wouldn't it hurt my dps to drop my 190 strength hellfire? Or is the crit really that much more important?

Finally, when you say 'paper dps' what are you implying?
Reply Quote
190 strength is a damage multiplier on your weapon in which is somewhat like additional of 190 on a 1k dps weapon while critical damage is a direct multiplier of the overall damage when crit happens.

190 of 1k is like 20%
50% crit damage is 50% on crit, more over you're damage won't be just 1k.

The str comes with other benefits too, so you have to make your choice. No one stopping you from getting a critical dmg str hellfire ring too.

Paper dps is the dps on your screen when you open up inventory, this is the damage your left-click/primary attack deals. If your main damage comes from other skills, it's advisable to look into dmg calculator for the skill which is searchable online.
Last but not least, if you're focusing your damage from RLTW, which damage is based off your main hand, you can depend on paper dps for accurate reading.

PS: The freeze witching hour is severely expensive hence the scrutinizing face. Barb can have life steal belt, the advantage the only class that can have. So I wouldn't try to get crit dmg from there. Cheapest will be from weapon. 12m radiant star emerald for 100% crit dmg is fair.
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 12/25/2012 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
190 strength is a damage multiplier on your weapon in which is somewhat like additional of 190 on a 1k dps weapon while critical damage is a direct multiplier of the overall damage when crit happens.

190 of 1k is like 20%
50% crit damage is 50% on crit, more over you're damage won't be just 1k.

The str comes with other benefits too, so you have to make your choice. No one stopping you from getting a critical dmg str hellfire ring too.

Paper dps is the dps on your screen when you open up inventory, this is the damage your left-click/primary attack deals. If your main damage comes from other skills, it's advisable to look into dmg calculator for the skill which is searchable online.
Last but not least, if you're focusing your damage from RLTW, which damage is based off your main hand, you can depend on paper dps for accurate reading.

PS: The freeze witching hour is severely expensive hence the scrutinizing face. Barb can have life steal belt, the advantage the only class that can have. So I wouldn't try to get crit dmg from there. Cheapest will be from weapon. 12m radiant star emerald for 100% crit dmg is fair.

Thanks for the explanation, this helps me a great deal. I am currently working on the achievement for having two level 60 barbs, and my new female barb will be a 'fire barb' with maximus, magefists, and those fire boots as a base for the new build. I figured the witching hour was not going to happen anytime soon with the ridiculous pricing and im admittedly getting bored of my current barb after playing it for 20 paragon levels. Im gonna eventually finish my ice barb, but for now im exploring new possibilities. I will post more info on this build as it comes though.

Sincere thanks to all those who indulged in this discussion thus far, your insight on the matter has encouraged me to make this build even better, even if it will be on hold for a few weeks.
Reply Quote
Any updates?
Reply Quote
this sounds like fun, i'm going to play around with it a bit tonight.

adding a follower (like my scoundrel) to the mix would make chance to freeze pretty epic. i could imagine this being a great support build in a party for ubers etc as well.
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried this in RoS?

I'm curious to see if we can make elemental barbs, like freeze, fire or even stun build.
Reply Quote
I've been working on a freeze barb myself, and have gained some insights on such an endeavor:

1) The build is similar to making a tanking barb, with the added crowd control of proc'ing freeze. I've seen Whirlwind (13% proc) and tornadoes (8% proc) mentioned for producing freeze, however, as yo can see from the proc values, they are poor choices for generating procs. Generally speaking, skills that cover large areas have poor proc values, whereas skills that affect small areas have high proc.

For example, Bash. Most of the Bash skills have a 100% proc rate, except Onslaught and Pulverize. which have 33%. If you have a 25% freeze chance, and use Pulverize, then your net chance of freezing drops to 8.25% per attack.

So optimally, you are looking for a nice area of attack with high proc rate. I chose Cleave: Gathering Storm (80% proc) for this. It attacks within an 180 degree arc in front of you, within weapon distance, and everyone hit gets snared for 80% slow for 1 sec, which also gets a kick from the cold damage snare too from Azurewrath. So if you do not freeze, you at least make them slow as heck.

2) Attack speed. The more attacks per second, the more chances you get at a freeze roll. So with Cleave, you hit multiple targets, and you hit them fast.

3) 2 weapon vs shield: You alternate attacks between weapons, and I have found that the freeze percentage from Azurewrath is only applied when it attacks, unfortunately. Also, the attack speed alternates between weapons. (Confirmed by watching the char info while attacking, and by noticing change in animation speed). Freeze % from shields stack on your total.

4) Low damage potential. This is the downside of the build. While using an awesome shield, you can tank against the hordes, however, you'll take awhile chopping them down. The upside is that you can have all the time in the world since they are not going anywhere. :) Also, Azurewraths have no sockets. :( You can use it with a second weapon, but you'll lose the big freeze % half of the time. (potentially 15%) In game practice, I noticed a distinct lack of freezing when 2-weaponing, even if the second weapon has freeze %.

My build has a very nice crit % (55.5%), but crappy crit damage multiplier. (Currently 100%) Currently looking into squeezing some in, but expensive since you also need IAS and Crit %.

A workaround I've been trying is using Superstition for Fury generation, and Hammer of the Ancients: Smash. Since elemental damage is easy to be exposed to in Inferno diff, it can generate Fury easily and feed HotA. Under the right elites, my fury lvls do not drop and I can spam HotA.

To be continued...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]