Diablo® III

Weapon Throw Guide for Dummies!

View profile
The best throw build in my experience is the weapon throw/seismic slam

I also think it's best as sword and board (which gives you even more survivability as a ranged user)

A shield can give 18% crit hit chance to seismic slam

not on profile, but:

-5 weapon throw belt (cheap)
9-10% crit chance +7/8% seismic slam shield (also cheap, like a million)

here is a build i have used to great success in low mp as a sword and board with this build"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#feRQUX!hZY!bYYZbb

Remember to use overpower for the crit chance, not for the damage, so use overpower before you slap down a bunch of slams, you will reset overpower faster than 6 seconds, allowing you to constantly have extra 10% crit...

with some better gear you can make some changes, like ik complete set bonus instead of animosity, etc...

I use throwing hammer to use throwing weapon to control the battlefield, make choke points and stunlock kill any stragglers/elites/bosses, you don't even need to use slam vs azmodan for instance.

If you do things properly you can be running sprint marathon the whole time and nevers slow down...

you stay ranged the whole time. you don't need to use the worthless vs single target and low proc chance ricochet, it's been pretty powerful
Reply Quote
If there are enough interest, I will try to see if I can stream some games tonight for people who wants to know how throw barbs fare in high MP general farming, key runs, and uber runs. My internet connection is a bit shaky, so there is no guarantee that this is a go, but I will see what I can do.
Reply Quote
If there are enough interest.

I would be definitely be interested in watching a top geared throw barb do MP10 runs
Reply Quote
I tried to set up a stream last night, but the video was too choppy due to my under power notebook and connection.
Reply Quote
I'm a WW barb and I'm curious to find out whether Bash with onslaught would be a better option in terms of damage? or would wep throw be the better choice? Yeah, I understand that my main damage comes from WW.

How would I go about in choosing my weps for going WW/WT? and possible other armor pieces that i should upgrade?
I don't have that much gold... around 100 mil.
Thanks

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SunnySky906-1946/hero/672402 < my barb
Edited by SunnySky906#1946 on 11/29/2012 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm a WW barb and I'm curious to find out whether Bash with onslaught would be a better option in terms of damage? or would wep throw be the better choice? Yeah, I understand that my main damage comes from WW.

How would I go about in choosing my weps for going WW/WT? and possible other armor pieces that i should upgrade?
I don't have that much gold... around 100 mil.
Thanks

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SunnySky906-1946/hero/672402 < my barb

Stealing from Acrimony's WW/WT thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004011417

Why Weapon Throw?

In terms of fury generation, there is nothing better. It's great because once battle rage is up, there's no downtime on fury generation/building. Each critical hit adds 29 fury with the No Escape passive active. Compared to Bash's Instigation -- which is 12 per hit, or other variants, Weapon Throw should be the main fury builder and generation. The utility is so versatile, that it actually does *more* damage over seconds than bash due to no knockback conditions that stalls the damage.

In addition to the above, with No Escape passive up, you're doing 130% + 10% passive weapon damage with Weapon Throw + an additional 39% damage using Mighty Throw rune. Added up, that's 179% weapon damage vs. 165% weapon damage from Bash's natural damage and Frenzy's five stack requirements.

More importantly, it holds a natural stun effect of 60% over two seconds. Hello, Goblins!
Reply Quote
The best throw build in my experience is the weapon throw/seismic slam

here is a build i have used to great success in low mp as a sword and board with this build"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#feRQUX!hZY!bYYZbb

It's possible to run perm WOTB with this build with fury regeneration coming from rumble and RLTW, managed to do it in mp5 with success. CM wizzies will hate you though.

Have not tested on lower mp levels though as ricohet with bloodshed is easier to play in lower mp.

Build as below (was created by someone else in the forums)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fePkUR!fZY!bbccZY
Using impunity as I will not be close to enemies to utilise the 165% damage

Profile as below.
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/spyky-1981/babaman/19235448
Reply Quote
How about my weapon throw build, with this build i never fail to lost wotb while standing still and left click on mob/elite.

I use ww for farmin large group of mob.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fhUZRP!YfZ!bZZZYc

Build as above
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/koez-1816/hero/2068289

i think i got a pretty good throw barb if u want to throw it in your list for ppl to look and get ideas from
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 12:11 PMPosted by GarbageCan
I'm a WW barb and I'm curious to find out whether Bash with onslaught would be a better option in terms of damage? or would wep throw be the better choice?

I did a basic test on this subject.

I killed azmodan @ mp 7 (50446580hp) with the same gear and 3 different "basic attacks", bash -> punish, frenzy -> maniac and weap throw -> mighty throw.

The only skill i used was "battle rage -> marauder", passives was ruthless + weapons master + berserker rage. (274k dps unbuffed datasheet)

bash + punish --> 51 sec killtime = ~989 k dps

frenzy + maniac --> 41 sec killtime = ~1330k dps

throw + mighty throw --> 54 sec killtime = ~934k dps

The next thing i tried was changing the "berserker rage" passive to "no escape" since it didnt help the throw build at all. (never full fury)

throw + mighty throw (+no escape) --> 48 sec killtime = ~1050k dps

After that was done i changed my close to bis offhand (sword 1240dps + 1.53aps + 153crit + lifesteal) to my close to bis 300 spear (1064dps + 100crit + wt damage 50%) (253k dps unbuffed datasheet)

throw + mighty throw (+no escape +300 spear) --> 35sec killtime = ~1441k dps

throw + ricochet (+no escape +300 spear) --> 43sec killtime = ~1173k dps (in a actual game you hit 2-3x this number)

Please note this was just a basic test to compare the different "main attacks".

And a screen showing stats @ http://i.imgur.com/rPAKP.jpg

*edit*

Forgot to mention that i used 1 ancient spear in the start with the throw builds to get enuff fury to start shotting. (this wont impact the overall dps output compare to the melee builds)
Edited by Det0x#2856 on 11/29/2012 9:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I realize i do much more damage then the average throw barb, but you can use my numbers to compare the difference in damage between "main attacks" in percentage

if we say bash + punish (+berserker rage) is = 100%.

frenzy + maniac (+berserker rage) = 134%

throw + mighty throw (+berserker rage) = 94%

throw + mighty throw (+no escape) = 106%

throw + mighty throw (+no escape +my 300 spear) = 145%

throw + ricochet (+no escape +my 300 spear) = 118% (singel target)
Edited by Det0x#2856 on 11/29/2012 9:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/koez-1816/hero/2068289

i think i got a pretty good throw barb if u want to throw it in your list for ppl to look and get ideas from

Not using a 300th spear and weapon mastery makes me frown.
Reply Quote
Acky/Det0x,

So I still haven't quite figured out this Weapon Throw thing. I mean, I think I understand it, but I can't do more damage with a WT/WW hybrid build than I can with just a standard double tornado build.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but could one of you guys explain how this build trumps a standard double tornado build other than fury generation.

Also, specifically for single target damage (ubers) what is the highest damage output build? I can't seem to find any, that at least I think i'm doing right, that does more damage than my standard double tornado build.
Reply Quote
Acky/Det0x,

So I still haven't quite figured out this Weapon Throw thing. I mean, I think I understand it, but I can't do more damage with a WT/WW hybrid build than I can with just a standard double tornado build.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but could one of you guys explain how this build trumps a standard double tornado build other than fury generation.

Also, specifically for single target damage (ubers) what is the highest damage output build? I can't seem to find any, that at least I think i'm doing right, that does more damage than my standard double tornado build.

I can't speak for Det0x, but for myself, I was never trying to trump WW by going WT, and I don't expect WT to out farm WW when it comes to speed.

However, by using WT as a secondary attack for WW, you provide yourself with more options when it comes to killing things that are usually tough/inefficient for a WW barb, such as range mob and kiters. You are also in a much better position when it comes to killing uber ZK.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the information Acky.

I think if I was doing ubers solo, I can definitely see how WT would help with ZK. But typically I run with a WD and DH. I kill Siege breaker, and they kill ZK. And we typically finish about the same time.

Our goal is to always burn the ubers down as fast as we can, reducing the risk of possible deaths. Therefore, while WT may help me be able to hit ubers no matter where i'm standing, if I am doing less damage, it seems counter-productive.

Any other thoughts? And what about this Hybrid WT/Hota build Det0x mentioned that he uses for ubers. How does the mechanics of that build work exactly? And does it require certain dps levels / certain MH / OH dps values?
Edited by Jacked#1805 on 12/1/2012 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi Acky,

I 've got a question concerning the choice of an EF.

Is the lifesteal on it very important ? I hesitate between getting a higher max dmg (150) or lifesteal which is so much expansive.

Is the lifesteal from the IK belf is enough to run on mp4-5 ?

Comparing to your sheet, my barb gonna get :
1k armor, 100 all rez,15k hps and maybe 15-20k dmg less than your.

I am gonna swap between classic poure throw build and WT/hota build.
Reply Quote
@Delc i use to use a EF without LS and when i switch to a LS one i was able to go from mp5 to mp8. I found it made a big difference for me.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the information Acky.

I think if I was doing ubers solo, I can definitely see how WT would help with ZK. But typically I run with a WD and DH. I kill Siege breaker, and they kill ZK. And we typically finish about the same time.

Our goal is to always burn the ubers down as fast as we can, reducing the risk of possible deaths. Therefore, while WT may help me be able to hit ubers no matter where i'm standing, if I am doing less damage, it seems counter-productive.

Any other thoughts? And what about this Hybrid WT/Hota build Det0x mentioned that he uses for ubers. How does the mechanics of that build work exactly? And does it require certain dps levels / certain MH / OH dps values?

WT/HoTA is excellent for ubers. There is really no downtime at all, and sustaining perma WoTB is never a problem. HoTA (smash) is probably the best single target skill for barbs, and with that, I can usually carry a team of 3 dead bodies in MP8 ubers with no problem. You pretty much just go straight to the face and smash your guts out, and when you are low in fury, just start throwing a few to replenish. This works well in all 3 ubers, so if your team asks you to deal with ZK instead of SB, you will have absolutely no problem switching roles.

Hi Acky,

I 've got a question concerning the choice of an EF.

Is the lifesteal on it very important ? I hesitate between getting a higher max dmg (150) or lifesteal which is so much expansive.

Is the lifesteal from the IK belf is enough to run on mp4-5 ?

Comparing to your sheet, my barb gonna get :
1k armor, 100 all rez,15k hps and maybe 15-20k dmg less than your.

I am gonna swap between classic poure throw build and WT/hota build.

LS/Crit Dmg on an EF is not a necessity. It's definitely nice to have LS on an EF, but if you don't have the budget for it, there is no reason to go out of your way to get one. The 3% LS from your belt is usually good enough as long as you are not going nuts tanking mobs. Reflect damage will give you a bit of headache with just 3%, but with the right skill sets, you can overcome that with no problem.

EF with vit is a bit underrated, so if you can find a decent one within your budget, try to go for that. Of course, if even that is beyond your budget, a regular 150+ str and OS EF would do fine.
Reply Quote
Hey acky what's your take on hammer stun rune? I know mighty is more dmg, and I exclusively use this, but in terms of Ubers, ZK is the only uber fight I ever have to stop wwing and wrath has any chance of falling. The other 2 ubers I can just ww the whole time not needing to WT once, but for ZK I found the stun rune works better than mighty throw, it's less damage, but with my 2.51 aps, I can literally chain stun zk, so he doesn't cast slow time, fireballs, portal out, etc...Only time I have to adjust position is when siege is about to pick me up, I actually got a nice rotation down where I stun ZK with wep throw hammer, and stack some nados, and go back to chain stunning...Best setup so far for ZK...wondering others experience?

Edit: this is on MP10 btw, even with my 7k armor 700 ar 800 phys res, it can HURT when a fireball hits you, siege decides to pick you up, a tornado whirls towards you, and you get set down in slow-time... lol (Seems to happen way to much too) stun rune on wt makes this much more bearable (took out zk/siege on mp10 this way first try)
Edited by Pariah#1412 on 12/1/2012 2:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]