Diablo® III

Weapon Throw Guide for Dummies!

New to barb, just hit 60 and put together a weapon throw gear set with 25m budget following this guide.

Can anyone help me with some advice as to where my gear is lacking and what are the next few items I should upgrade?
Reply Quote
Hi. Generally I don't like the Barbarian, but I played around with it and liked the weapon throw and ancient spear skills. Is it possible to create a pure WT Barb with 10 mil budget? My goal is to be able to farm mp1 without probs. What DPS should I look for the weapons? It's not specified in the first post. Also about every armor item - what range of stats are needed for every piece (str, vit, res)?

Please, help. Thanks in advance.
Edited by XerX#2741 on 2/5/2013 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
New to barb, just hit 60 and put together a weapon throw gear set with 25m budget following this guide.

Can anyone help me with some advice as to where my gear is lacking and what are the next few items I should upgrade?

Looks good. Basically just get better stats on your existing gear when you can afford them. :)

Slowly add in IAS pieces so you can be at ~2.0 APS without WotB. Up your emeralds to 90%/100% when you have the funds.

Stay in the lookout for a spear with higher WT and AS%. The additional % gives a very noticeable damage increase even if the spear's DPS is a bit lower, more so when you crit -- and this build is all about crit.

Hi. Generally I don't like the Barbarian, but I played around with it and liked the weapon throw and ancient spear skills. Is it possible to create a pure WT Barb with 10 mil budget? My goal is to be able to farm mp1 without probs. What DPS should I look for the weapons? It's not specified in the first post. Also about every armor item - what range of stats are needed for every piece (str, vit, res)?

Please, help. Thanks in advance.

Weapon DPS was stated on the first post:

Main Hand: Echoing Fury w/ 150+ Str, Open Socket, +.25 APS. (You can easily pick up a EF with those stats in the neighborhood of 800-1000 DPS for next to nothing. The .25 APS is very critical, since it adds to both your MH & OH. Sometimes an EF with lesser DPS but greater APS would yield better overall DPS than one with a higher DPS but lesser APS. )

Off Hand: 300th Spear w/ OS and 40%+ WT damage modifier (These are super cheap. It is worth getting a slightly lower DPS one in exchange for higher WT damage modifier.)

Rough MP0/1 stats to aim for:

450 AR / 4500 Armor
30-35K Life
LS+LoH
45-50% critical hit chance
250-300% critical hit damage
Reply Quote
[delete]
Edited by XerX#2741 on 2/6/2013 4:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
I rolled my tanky rend barb for a pure WT barb. It is a fun build to play. A2's keywarden is a bit of a pain to take out. That is a huge downside for this build. I am looking for a way to integrate HOTA into my build. I might need to do some gear swapping.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 11:54 AMPosted by AnimalMother
I rolled my tanky rend barb for a pure WT barb. It is a fun build to play. A2's keywarden is a bit of a pain to take out. That is a huge downside for this build. I am looking for a way to integrate HOTA into my build. I might need to do some gear swapping.

A2 warden is easy if you're using Mighty Throw. Just stay out of his visual range (just enough to see part of his missile dampening field) and throw away. He won't budge. Best to stay South East or South West of the warden and throw diagonally.

You won't get enough Fury with Ricochet (0.33 vs 1.0 proc). Upgrade to a -5 WT belt too if you decide to continue throwing. Hope you didn't pay too much for the Spear. The 37% WT bonus is quite low if you're going for a pure thrower.

You can run WT/HotA/Rend with WT replacing the primary Fury generator (Bash/Frenzy), HotA replacing Spear and Rend replacing Ignore Pain.
Reply Quote
WT barb is really fun to play, only my second character. Any suggestions ?
Reply Quote
What MP do you run? Your AR could be higher. Mine is considered borderline. D:

Since you're running WT/SS, try swapping skills/runes to what I'm using and give it a whirl. Rumble + LoH = nice healing. WT-Mighty Throw would replace Bash-Instigation as your primary Fury generator.

You can still use Sprint in place of Ignore Pain.
Reply Quote
Upped my resist and some life steal with the lamentation belt. I'm aiming for 6-7 mp capabilities. What do you think of the fury generator passive vs 5 crit and 50 damage?
Reply Quote
Sweet Lamentation. :D

5% chc 50% chd is a huge DPS boost, especially when you get your gear to higher levels. Very expensive to replace gear-wise in exchange for Fury generation. I generate my "starting" Fury by hitting an object > War Cry > Battle Rage. Or I run in and get hit by mobs.

I feel running 4 offensive skills is a bit redundant as we generally only make use of ~2 during combat (one to generate Fury, one to burn Fury = perma-WotB).

Replacing the extra offensive skills with buffs are better as they would allow you to maximize your DPS output without spending extra gold.

This is why Battle Rage - Into the Fray and WotB - Thrive on Chaos are staple on almost all Barb builds.

A Weapon Throw - Mighty Throw crit with Battle Rage - Into the Fray and No Escape will generate 29 Fury.

Compare that to Weapon Throw - Ricochet with No Escape which could generate anything between 0 - 42 Fury (33% proc rate, up to 3 targets). You're not guaranteed Fury even when you crit and if you have an unlucky streak, you'll find yourself out of Fury very quickly.

You can already take a walk in MP6/7 with your current DPS. Elites will be a bit slow for your DPS @ MP7, but doable. Try out the build I'm using. WT to generate Fury. SS Rumble to burn/crowd control. LoH procs with Rumble so you get extra healing on top of Fury generation.

If you can catch me online (probably in another 3 hours), I can show you how it works.
Reply Quote
i've been using my current build up to mp5-6 (that's about the limit)
Then for higher mp 7-8 swap out sprint for rend.
For 9-10 i lose no escape passive for the 3%health pass and swap bloodshed for into the fray. It works well.
Still looking for MH weap w/LS to replace EF. (and mempo w/ crit)
With my low throw cost fury never issue.
Edited by grogan#6557 on 2/8/2013 5:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
Wow eclipse hat build works really well. I was thinking that the possible crits from ricochet would improve chances for fury from no escape but he extra damage is nice. Also you think I should look for a crit helm instead of the mempo? Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
If you are able to make up for the ias elsewhere, sure. This build requires both ias and chc. 2.0+ APS and 55%+ chc (unbuff) is when it really starts to shine. You can try and grab a cheap 6 chc Tal Rasha helm and test the difference.

Squeeze in more LoH when you're able. You will find that you have an easier time in higher MP with Rumble healing you thousands of Life/sec. Stand and spam SS, reposition for better coverage. Repeat. :D

Just be careful what elite you SS. The bugged reflect minions will cause your life to drop extremely quick. I've tried 3 LS + 1.2k LoH and even that is barely enough to sustain against them. You'll need to single out the minions and do some smart kiting.
Reply Quote
hihi all new to the forum and thread thanks to everyone for some really good advice/discussion! ive recently fell in love with using weapon throw/hota to just stand and melee things abusing the cooldown reset! I've dropped about 30k unbuffed damage in order to get more allres and armor from where I used to be using a normal WT build but I am able to do mp8 key runs at the same speed I used to be doing mp6 so I'd highly recommend it~

also since i'm here my gear is really annoying me atm does anyone know which upgrades I should be prioritizing for my playstyle? I know I should be aiming for an eventual crit mempo and better echoing fury but a lot of my pieces are so meh that I feel like I need to address them before I start the big saveup. Just from it feels in-game I think that I need at least a little bit more HP and then just as much more dps as I can get :)
Edited by WaZ#1854 on 2/9/2013 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
After my latest upgrades I'm probably at a mid-tier gear level. My stats are around:-

Damage: 130k dps (buffed), 56.5 CC (buffed), 420 CD, 1.8 APS
Defence: 45k hp, 660 all res (buffed), 6.4k armour (buffed)
Sustain: 2.9% LS

Was wondering if the pros out there could answer a few questions I have:-

1) To survive in high MPs (7+), what should be the next area to upgrade? More Damage, defence, or sustain?

2) To increase sustain, at 100k+ dps, should I still bother with LoH, or should I save up for a LS weapon?

3) How do WT barbs compete effectively in PVP?

4) Is it possible to sustain WOTB permanently with a WT barb without using WW?

Thanks for all the help!!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hey guys, just started to try Wt build and i have problems sustaining with LS on mp5

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Leon-1944/hero/3064106

any ideas on how i should survive better?
Reply Quote
1) To survive in high MPs (7+), what should be the next area to upgrade? More Damage, defence, or sustain?

2) To increase sustain, at 100k+ dps, should I still bother with LoH, or should I save up for a LS weapon?

3) How do WT barbs compete effectively in PVP?

4) Is it possible to sustain WOTB permanently with a WT barb without using WW?

Thanks for all the help!!

1) More damage = better sustain. You will find MP7+ slow as the basic WT setup is not suited to sustain WotB.

2) At least 5 LS if you are running Ricochet.

3) WT enemies from afar. Rend those who is dumb enough to run near. :D

4) Yes, but not with basic WT setup (Ricochet + Ancient Spear).

Hey guys, just started to try Wt build and i have problems sustaining with LS on mp5

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Leon-1944/hero/3064106

any ideas on how i should survive better?

Please log out with WT gear and build.
Reply Quote
I've had a WT barb for a while. I was recently playing with a Sever DH build and that got me wondering if a WT barb could use the same concept. The setup requires dual wielding Sever and 300th spear while using Battle Rage - Bloodshed. A killing blow will have huge crit numbers to supercharge Bloodshed's 20% aoe damage, and also your gains from lifesteal. The real downside is loss of 10% chc from not having an axe or mace. The proc to generate fury hurts, but the loss of paper dps can be compensated with Sever's +% damage to Demons if you play on levels with a good demon density.

I'm trying it on MP3 Act 3 runs with 70k unbuffed/ 95k buffed paper dps that doesn't include +58% Weapon Throw damage from 300th spear and No Escape, +20% damage to elites from SoJ, +16% damage to Demons from Sever. Sever seems more effective compared to the EF I was previously using, which gave me 86k unbuffed dps. Please give it a try and let me know if you have any suggestions. I want to see how this can be refined even further.
Edited by Gorthon#2576 on 3/8/2013 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Made a WT build then went here to check to see how i was fairing. Changed some things around and comfortably killing on mp 8. Not crazy fast kill rate but not dying like I was earlier. The extra pointers about positioning helped too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]