Diablo® III

Weapon Throw Guide for Dummies!

@ Reversal

Was looking through your build and have some queries regarding the choice of weapon and skills.

1. Why no WotB? It should be easy to maintain in Mp8.
2. Which is your main dps dealer? WT or SS?
If it's SS, then the 300th spear will seem redundant and your dps will be affected as 300th spear is not an ideal weapon (can't roll socket + crit or lifesteal). If it's WT, the SS skill seems redundant.

I myself, prefer to use SS as my dps dealer and mighty throw as a fury generator. Reason being WT don't deal enough damage at higher level for me, compared to SS.
Reply Quote
@Spyky
1.I just never liked Wotb, I can maintain it but it forces me to rush from mob to mob and I like to take my time.
2. Both depending on the fight. If it is a large group I am going to spam SS, if it's a small group like an elite pack or the they are spread out I am going to spam weapon throw. I been using SS since I was a 2h build, and although some will claim it is an inefficient skill outside of trash farming I love it.
In the process of trying to craft a pair of shoulders that can cover the vitality, resistance, and to an extent dps loss of replacing my depth diggers with Inna's Temperance pants.
Edited by Reversal#1911 on 3/15/2013 8:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Eclipse how do I look now? Any suggestions of where to go next? Tryin to up the mp, not speeding up runs cuz that seems against the point. Best to ya
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 12:42 AMPosted by ThunderCat
Hey Eclipse how do I look now? Any suggestions of where to go next? Tryin to up the mp, not speeding up runs cuz that seems against the point. Best to ya

Looking good. Life is a tad low, so I'd work on that -- try to get at least 40K Life.

Maybe save up for one of those badass Ice Climbers with Vit or an IK Chest with higher Vit. If you're feeling lucky, you can craft Vit shoulders instead -- it should be way cheaper to craft one than to buy the 2 upgrades I mentioned.

----

Lamentation vs IK belt -- As you bump up the MP, the 60 AR set bonus from IK should trump the 1 chc from Lamentation. If you have gold to spare, you may want to look into having an IK belt on swap when you need the extra defense (uber or nasty elite).

Also, at lower MP and with an IK belt, you should have enough AR to swap out War Cry for Sprint or Overpower to speed up your farming.

----

Why SS Shattered Ground though? 288% and Knockback vs Rumble's 240% + 60% over 2 sec, tons of healing and Fury. Any issues @ high MP without the extra healing from Rumble?

I see you're still keeping Bash. Do you still have problem with Fury? If not, I'd suggest replacing it Sprint, Overpower or Rend.
Reply Quote
Pure WT/Rend barb here (for all 100 paragon levels) checking in. Feel free to add me in-game or take a look at my profile if you want any pointers. I consider myself to be a pretty knowledgeable DW, WT barb. 200+k unbuffed DPS with SoJ and 300th.
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Snicklefritz
Pure WT/Rend barb here (for all 100 paragon levels) checking in. Feel free to add me in-game or take a look at my profile if you want any pointers. I consider myself to be a pretty knowledgeable DW, WT barb. 200+k unbuffed DPS with SoJ and 300th.

Nice setup.
Reply Quote
Does anyone know, regarding the Immortal King set bonus -- 5 pieces:
"Increases fury generation by 2"

--Does this mean it adds 2 to the fury generated by bash/cleave/frenzy,
or is it something like +2 fury per second?

It's an important question, because my current build (like many Weapon Throw builds) does not feature bash/cleave/frenzy.

EDIT -- I found this link on the subject:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6522912440
Edited by Helmork#1400 on 5/5/2013 10:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey, new to barbs and I just got mine to 60, so I decided to try out a throw barb. Unfortunately, after going through just trash mobs on MP6, it seems like I do hardly any damage, with trash mobs take 3-4 weapon throws to kill.

Is this normal? Is there anything wrong with my gear? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jappleack-1598/hero/9879909
Edited by Jappleack#1598 on 6/27/2013 11:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's normal. As is, Wep Throw just can't compete at higher MPs against the likes of HotA or WW/nado. WT is a fun skill but it can't be your main damage source if you seek farming efficiency.

But before you give up on a throw barb, check out my female Barb's build and give it a try. I bought some cheap throw IK belt + SOJ (<3M for both) to get -10fury cost and made weapon throw my fury generator. Using mighty or throwing hammer rune, you will have a chance to get 29 fury per hit!

Then I switch between HotA and Seismic Slam for my secondary attack skill. MP7 runs go pretty fast.
Reply Quote
I was wondering how can i improve my gear or anything else for weapon throw. im contemplating on getting a SoJ WT and then 2P nat's set for the CC bonus. i dont use AS for anything except for the initial 30 fury generator then it becomes useless. if i could rely on WT's fury generator alone without using BR ItF, i could switch it out for Bs. I was also wondering if i should/could get a better Skorn for more damage or what other kind of equipment should i get. on a good HoTa, i get 200k crits. my goal is to max out my crit damage and get my cc as high as possible on gear. not sure if i should keep hota if my IAS isn't very high.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 02:50 PMPosted by OldBub
I was wondering how can i improve my gear or anything else for weapon throw. im contemplating on getting a SoJ WT and then 2P nat's set for the CC bonus. i dont use AS for anything except for the initial 30 fury generator then it becomes useless. if i could rely on WT's fury generator alone without using BR ItF, i could switch it out for Bs. I was also wondering if i should/could get a better Skorn for more damage or what other kind of equipment should i get. on a good HoTa, i get 200k crits. my goal is to max out my crit damage and get my cc as high as possible on gear. not sure if i should keep hota if my IAS isn't very high.

I am surprised someone is still using this guide that I wrote almost a year ago. O_o!

Anyway, your crit chance is relatively low, and I would suggest you boost that as your priority over IAS. Without a high crit chance, you will have a tough time sustaining fury.
Reply Quote
What is the ideal health to maintain at? I don't want to overspend Vitality on gears.
Reply Quote
I don't generally play melee classes, so WT Barb is the only barb I can play. I've really been liking Weapon Throw, and would like suggestions for gear in particular but also skills.

What should I focus on upgrading next? I'm slowly transitioning my Attack Speed gear to Crit Damage as I feel that my damage would benefit more from CD than ias at the moment.

I'm kind of stuck with the IK set, as the Fury gen/non-decreasing Fury set bonus allows me to play Barb with a lot less stress than if I were to play without it. Coming from the perspective of the 3 ranged classes, needing to generate your resource is a pain and stress I'd like to keep to a minimum (seeing that orb slowly empty whenever I'm not hitting things deals damage to my psyche, haha).

As for skills, I've been using SS-Rumble for AoE and as a Fury dump. I wasn't all that impressed with HotA when leveling my barb up, but would be willing to try a suggested build with it should someone vouch for it (and why it would be preferable to SS) since I do feel the lack of damage SS provides in elite/boss settings. I play in groups, so infinite WotB isn't really an option for me.

I understand I have a lot of self-imposed limitations, but suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
Try using a Mighty weapon Main hand on this weapon throw/seismic slam stuff. Change Into the fray to blood shed,

You'll be doing mega AOE and your weapon throw becomes AOE as well.
Reply Quote
Any reason for the Mighty Weapon main? With the Weapon's Master passive, the 10% crit is far more useful than the 3 Fury. I guess I could try Blood Shed over Into the Fray, but I don't know how sustainable it'll be without it, esp. since SS drains so much Fury even with its crits from Into the Fray.
Reply Quote
It's 3 fury/hit. So with Seismic slam using the rumble rune, you get quite a bit of fury back. Couple that with a 240% dmg crit..whatever 20% of that is. That's the AOE dmg you'll be splashing from blood shed. Of course, this method is better for clearing trash and exp runnin and farming.

For ubers and elite popping, I highly recommend hota and into the fray with the weapon throw using a axe/mace MH
Reply Quote
I don't generally play melee classes, so WT Barb is the only barb I can play. I've really been liking Weapon Throw, and would like suggestions for gear in particular but also skills.

What should I focus on upgrading next? I'm slowly transitioning my Attack Speed gear to Crit Damage as I feel that my damage would benefit more from CD than ias at the moment.

I'm kind of stuck with the IK set, as the Fury gen/non-decreasing Fury set bonus allows me to play Barb with a lot less stress than if I were to play without it. Coming from the perspective of the 3 ranged classes, needing to generate your resource is a pain and stress I'd like to keep to a minimum (seeing that orb slowly empty whenever I'm not hitting things deals damage to my psyche, haha).

As for skills, I've been using SS-Rumble for AoE and as a Fury dump. I wasn't all that impressed with HotA when leveling my barb up, but would be willing to try a suggested build with it should someone vouch for it (and why it would be preferable to SS) since I do feel the lack of damage SS provides in elite/boss settings. I play in groups, so infinite WotB isn't really an option for me.

I understand I have a lot of self-imposed limitations, but suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, when I am in WT build, I use WT/Ricochet for mobs, and HoTA/Smash for elites, but after checking your gear, I don't think you have enough LS or EHP to use HOTA effectively against elites. If you mainly farm in act 3 pre-Ghom, then SS/Rumble + WT/Mighty Throw would work nicely. If you mostly farm in open area like Act 1 FoM, then SS/Rumble is not efficient.

Gear wise, there is nothing wrong running 5pc IK set. With a -5 WT belt (which you already have) plus BR:ITF, there is no reason you won't have enough fury to consistently throw. Since you are not planning to go perma WoTB, you can even try to get an SoJ with -4 throw to minimize throwing cost to 1 fury. That will allow you to switch ITF to Bloodshed for more AoE damage.

You just gotta make up your mind on which skill you want to use as your primary damage dealer. Once you have an idea, it will be much easier to determine how to setup your throw gears as well as the rest of your skill bar.
Reply Quote
I'm thinking of dropping SS-Rumble, so looks like no Might Weapon fury gen for me.

So, then, what would I do if I were to get a Throw SoJ and use Ricochet + HotA + Bloodshed?
How much LS/eHP would I need to aim for to take down elites (I play groups so I don't need to tank all the hits myself)? Would a LS 300 Spear be better than a OS 300 Spear for the purpose of making HotA work in the build, or would I have to look into an EFury with LS + (CD or OS) ?

I had previously used Ricochet and really liked it, but suffered from Fury issues due to proc chance since I didn't have the Throw belt then.
Reply Quote
I was wondering if anyone has a cheap -4 wt, 5-6% cold prefferably, max fury and as high elite damage as possible soj they would like to sell to me. i have 3 mil gold for it. Add me in game stating that's what it's for and ill add you.
Edited by OldBub#1207 on 10/3/2013 2:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm thinking of dropping SS-Rumble, so looks like no Might Weapon fury gen for me.

So, then, what would I do if I were to get a Throw SoJ and use Ricochet + HotA + Bloodshed?
How much LS/eHP would I need to aim for to take down elites (I play groups so I don't need to tank all the hits myself)? Would a LS 300 Spear be better than a OS 300 Spear for the purpose of making HotA work in the build, or would I have to look into an EFury with LS + (CD or OS) ?

I had previously used Ricochet and really liked it, but suffered from Fury issues due to proc chance since I didn't have the Throw belt then.

I would stick with an OS 300th spear. Honestly, from the looks of it, it doesn't seem like you have a large enough bankroll to play Throw/Hota effectively, so I would stick with a run and gun type of build that supports your group from the back end.

For group games, I would probably try something like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fURkQP!fZY!ZcccZZ
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]