Diablo® III

Looking for opinions from knowledgeable DHs

good read Jack, thanks.

when you say sentry, are you referring to a specific rune, or just any sentry in general?
like id use guardian sentry sometimes for the defense at higher mps, but assume highest dps would come from chains.
Reply Quote
Thanks.

I think sentry damage wise, highest is Spit fire, then the rest except chain, then chain.
I use guardian for high mp as well, it helps a lot.

Chain does lowest dps, and it doesn't scale with attack speed, but it procs stuff.
A chain + mortal enemy combo is probably the highest real dps dealer for DH, but it requires meticulous setup and then quite a bit of time to prepare 3 sentries. The hatred feedback from this setup will allow you to spam hatred spenders like crazy.

High damage reward for skilled game play, this is good design by Blizzard.

I can't be bother to run this regularly though.
Reply Quote
1) what do you think is the highest damage per second hatred generator skill?

pretty sure that's hands down devouring arrow, in terms of single target
but bola maybe more consistent in general cuz you kinda need a lil AoE in ubers anyway...

2) which hatred using skill do you think gives the best dmg per hatred (not damage per second as in the first question).
-i would guess it comes down to echoing blast vs. cluster bombs vs. not even sure what else, what do you think?

not sure how accurate my math is... but here we go

In 1.0.5 they drastically reformatted the first skill rune of spike trap. Prior to this the rune was "bandolier" which read - increase the maximum number of traps that can be out simultaneously to 6. Now the rune is "echoing blast" which reads - your spike traps can explode up to 3 times, dealing 275% damage.

So Spike trap now hits for 275% dmg 3x's for 30 hatred, so that's 825% dmg for 30 hatred or 27% dmg per hatred spent. Compare that to cluster arrow you have Loaded For Bear which (assuming every rogue bomb lands) is 304% dmg + (100% x 4) = 704% dmg for 50 hatred or 14% dmg per hatred spent. (even with grenadier its still only 18% dmg per hatred spent) Now compare this to cluster arrow with Cluster Bomb which (assuming you line up the cluster arrow perfectly, such that the three bombs hit the same target) is 230% x 3 = 690% dmg for 50 hatred or 14% dmg per hatred spent (and with grenadier its only 17% dmg per hatred spent)

So i think cluster arrow in best case scenario is half as efficient as spike trap in terms to dmg per hatred spent, because at this rate you would need 6 cluster bombs to hit a single target, and im pretty sure that doesn't happen

correct me where im wrong :)

Cluster bomb has 4 mini bombs that do 230% dmg each plus the final bomb which does either 225% or 230% dmg. Lets say the final bomb does 225 dmg, the total dmg output of cluster bomb is 1145% dmg. It's easy to find -5 CA reduction DML, so total cost of cluster bomb would be 35 with grenadier passive. That would make cluster bomb the most powerful single target attack, the most dmg per hatred spent and also the most dmg per sec.

Also tinkerer grenades is the highest hatred generator. Its easy to hit barb size targets with 2 grenades. 2 x 95% = 190% for 8 hatred.

That being said, cluster bombs and grenades arent particularly well synergized with each other.
Edited by Monsta#1979 on 11/27/2012 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
4/6 Uber bosses aren't large enough to land 5x clusters. Same with grenades...
Reply Quote
All math aside, which to pick depends on situation.

If you're one or two shotting mobs, Cluster Arrow shines to annihilate elites quickly.

If you're on high MP, echoing blast hands down.
Reply Quote
OP was asking about Ubers...
Reply Quote

A chain + mortal enemy combo is probably the highest real dps dealer for DH, but it requires meticulous setup and then quite a bit of time to prepare 3 sentries

sentry doesn't crit... and because of that does pretty negligible dmg (unless something changed?)

I would go with bola/imminent and spike trap/echoing for ubers, especially if you have a tank (preferably CM wiz) with you. Otherwise, I think bola/thunderball & spiketrap/echoing are also a nice combo
Reply Quote
yes, just to reiterate, this is about ubers at high mps only.

sentry doesnt crit, but its dmg is based off what your character dmg sheet says, which takes crit into account. so yes, sentry doesnt crit, but an average noncrit shot for sentry would be higher than the average non crit shot from say frost arrow.

on grenades, this is the one that intrigues me the most, as its enticing if you can hit multiple grenades on 1 target. 4/6 ubers being large enough is sufficient for me to base my entire game plan around just those 4.

im not struggling to down these guys or anything, but always looking for more efficient ways to put them down.
Reply Quote
everything is in regards to single target dps, thinking ubers only here.

1) what do you think is the highest damage per second hatred generator skill?
-i am basically trying to decide between bola/imminent doom or perhaps there is a way to have all 3 grenades hit the same target for potentially more dmg then imminent doom.
however, feel free to suggest any hatred generating skill you think does the most dps.

2) which hatred using skill do you think gives the best dmg per hatred (not damage per second as in the first question).
-i would guess it comes down to echoing blast vs. cluster bombs vs. not even sure what else, what do you think?

1 ) Hungering Arrow with devouring arrow ( 800 after 1 pierce - for me )
2 ) Spike trap with Echoing Blast ( 1.3m x 3 / 30 hatred - for me )

And it depends on your gears build as well
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 08:17 AMPosted by Philos
4/6 Uber bosses aren't large enough to land 5x clusters. Same with grenades...

Just because you cant hit targets reliably with clusters doesn't mean I cant.

and you can hit any target with 2 grenades out of 3.
Reply Quote
If you have a good CM that can lock the ubers down, nade/tink, ca/bombs, marked/mortal enemy will decimate them.

All else, as others have already said bola/id, spike trap/eb.
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Borat
dont you hate spike traps for goblins though.... make me so mad!!!

I thought so at first too, however, if you are able to get the drop on the goblins, you can place all 3 spike traps under him without him running. The traps ruin the goblin.
Edited by BoyNamedGoo#1167 on 11/27/2012 12:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]