Diablo® III

Add option to disable SCREEN SHAKING please !

(Locked)

Thats all i can say ....its so annoying that only good build for WD is zombie bears and my screen shakes too much then i cast this ..i cant see what is going on and it HURTS MY EYES if i play d3 for a long time
This is so so SO BAD AND OPTION TO BE REMOVED BY PLAYER SHOULD BE IN GAME ASAP ...THX !
If there is a 3th party software i ll use without 2nd though just to disable that [edit] fully understanding the risks of using it ..cuz that shaking is dat annoying :( !
You blizz like hurting my eyes and greatly reduce the plasure playing your game ...is that want you want [edit] ?
Edited by Ryddorim on 8/12/2013 7:12 PM PDT
You think that bad try using meteor shower for wizards. It was pretty fun to troll public games with it back in the day.
Community Manager
We don't think that adding an option to disable screen shake is necessarily the best answer to this problem, but we do agree that a) it is a problem (even if it's not high priority) and b) we'd like to do something about it.

The primary issue is with the way many of the spells with a "shake" effect were designed. The shake itself isn't so bad if the spell is cast on a target that's farther away from your character, and that's how we imagined those spells would primarily be used when we originally implemented them. For many current builds, though, it's common to repeatedly cast spells with those effects right on top of yourself (see Meteor or Zombie Bears, or in rare situations Dire Bats). The result is that the shake is MUCH more prominent than we intended, and those play styles weren't something we really accounted for when we were designing all the spell FX.

So, it's our bad, and we want to fix it, but we'd prefer to correct the core of the problem (the way the shake effect works) rather than creating another toggle in the Options menu. That's a timely investment, though, and there are other things we'd like to address first, so I don't have a time frame to share for when we'll get to it just yet.

TL; DR: We've heard your feedback (yay!). We agree that the shake can be annoying. We want to correct the issue and improve your gaming experience, but we don't have an ETA on when we'll be able to tackle that fix.
Edited by Lylirra on 12/10/2012 10:10 PM PST
Just for fun I'm going to call Lylirra a necro.

:)

GL on fixing this game btw and pleasing the mob of people that are screaming for answers.
Please add a /no_pickup command too! It's just too annoying as a melee to move up and try to swing at a monster but ended up picking an item and then stop doing anything. Especially in a game that has too many things going on at the same time on the screen(graphic-wise).
HEY! LISTEN! (in navi voice)

go read these

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350164971
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004016367

Already checked these threads out and they are both pretty good.

However you'll probably be waiting for wait.... 13+ days like from the thread above before getting a reply (if you're lucky).

I'm pretty sure that none of my awesome threads (that are long since buried due to my lack of hope in Blizzard paying attention) ever had a blue post.

GL.
90 Draenei Shaman
12/10/2012 08:24 PMPosted by Lylirra
The result is that the shake is MUCH more prominent than we intended, and those play styles weren't something we really accounted for when we were designing all the spell FX.

A friend pointed me to this thread due to my personal issues with screen shaking. I suffer from severe motion sickness and chronic vertigo. I understand the intent is to make the spells and game more "realistic", but there are some players who don't find it fun to become sick from such an effect. My experiences are more in world of Warcraft, but the concept is still the same. While I'm sure my case is rare, I don't doubt there are other players who have trouble playing at times.

With the latest patch for wow, I've actually had to ask a friend for help with some of the new daily quests due to the severity of screen shaking. The first day 5.1 hit I went to bed with my eyes hurting and head throbbing from all the shaking. This is not fun for me, and in all the years I've been playing wow, this wasn't an issue until recently.

I realize this thread has to do with D3, but the ability to disable screen shaking is something that should be considered.
Cool, i remember when hunters first got core hounds as pets. My god was that horrible. Also, it would be nice to disable the weapon color splashes, like poison, arcane ect.
Community Manager
12/10/2012 08:29 PMPosted by DeMasked
Just for fun I'm going to call Lylirra a necro.

Full disclosure: I recently took vacation and was out of the office for some time. There were a few threads I was waiting for information on that I either didn't have time to respond to or didn't hear back on before I left, so I'm following up on them now. Just because the topics are older doesn't meant they're any less valid (imo).
The primary issue is with the way many of the spells with a "shake" effect were designed. The shake itself isn't so bad if the spell is cast on a target that's farther away from your character, and that's how we imagined those spells would primarily be used when we originally implemented them.

This is a little confusing, because Zombie Bears has a horrible, horrible range. It feels like I'm casting spectral blades.
Edited by Dagamon#1678 on 12/10/2012 8:58 PM PST
Community Manager
12/10/2012 08:55 PMPosted by Dagamon
This is a little confusing, because Zombie Bears has a horrible, horrible range. It feels like I'm casting spectral blades.

Well, in the case of Zombie Bears, it's probably more how frequently players are casting it rather than pure range. Same issues still applies, though: we didn't account for certain spells with the shake effect to really be used in the ways they are now, so the original FX design isn't as friendly to some of the newer/current builds.

And the option to disable the effect is still something we can consider, but it's not something we favor. In general, for a game like Diablo III, we want to try to avoid adding options for everything as a way to correct an issue and instead see if we can address why you're asking for the option in the first place.
Edited by Lylirra on 12/10/2012 9:30 PM PST
We don't think that adding an option to disable screen shake is necessarily the best answer to this problem

This is arrogance, you want to force us to play the game exactly how you designed it? That's like when first person shooters are released on PC with default FOV set to 50 (modern warfare) and there's no option to change it.

If the screen shake in your game makes people feel sick, add an option to turn it off.
Well, in the case of Zombie Bears, it's probably more how frequently players are casting it rather than pure range. Same issues still applies, though: we didn't account for certain spells with the shake effect to really be used in the ways they are now, so the original FX design isn't as friendly to some of the newer/current builds.

And the option to disable the effect is still something we can consider, but it's not something we favor. In general, for a game like Diablo III, we want to try to avoid adding options for everything as a way to correct an issue and instead address why you're asking for the option in the first place.

Wow, you are everywhere on the forums tonight. Thank you for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate seeing feedback.
Community Manager
12/10/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Plebeian
This is arrogance, you want to force us to play the game exactly how you designed it?

Just because we disagree with a specific suggestion or solution doesn't mean we're arrogant, or that we even think the suggestion/solution is bad. It just means it doesn't mesh with our design philosophy for the game, and it's okay for players and designers to sometimes have disagreements on that front.

To a point, games are designed to be played a specific way, and that call is really up to the people who designed it. While we do happily listen to player feedback and have made many, many positive changes as a result of your input, there will probably always be some situations where our opinions for how the game should function or look will differ.
the worse one is definitely meteor shower skill...i bet everyone hated that skill in public games
i played with 3 wizards once and they are simultaneously spamming it....omg i almost wanted to puke from all the screen shaking
12/10/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
To a point, games are designed to be played a specific way, and that call is really up to the people who designed it. While we do happily listen to player feedback and have made many, many positive changes as a result of your input, there will probably always be some situations where our opinions for how the game should function or look will differ.

however in this case theres a point where less shaking isn't really going to help those that dont feel well when the screen is shaking at all.

i understand not wanting to create options for everything in the game especially when it may benefit one player over another, but options for graphical tweaks like this (and in a similar vein the holy weapon flash effect that effects players, or an option to configure item label colours for people with red/green colour blindness) is something that wont destroy anything in regards to the delivery of the games underlying ethos and design, and will instead allow players to configure the game so they're at least comfortable playing it.

you provide options to disable music. isn;t this request somewhere in the same ballpark?

That's big pretty big investment.

What? To change screen shaking? Really?? BIG INVESTMENT? are you serious? You have monkeys coding the game?
Edited by Linkin#1911 on 12/10/2012 10:09 PM PST
Community Manager
12/10/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Linkin
What? To change screen shaking? Really?? BIG INVESTMENT? are you serious? You have monkeys coding the game?

Blargh. That was a horrible typo on my part. Thanks for catching it!

Here's a video I think you might like in return: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Wy7gRGgeA
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]