Diablo® III

Add option to disable SCREEN SHAKING please !

(Locked)

90 Draenei Shaman
I think this is a case where it might be a good idea to remind everyone to not shoot the messenger.

I posted to give more information on why an option to disable screen shaking could be beneficial to their player base. I've never known Blizzard to use the word never, and with the fact Lylirra is actually posting in this thread, it might mean this will get some more attention.

I consider myself lucky to have friends and guildmates who are aware of my situation and assist me as much as possible. I have faith the information in this thread will be taken into consideration.
- Technical Support
View profile
12/10/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Lylirra
And the option to disable the effect is still something we can consider, but it's not something we favor. In general, for a game like Diablo III, we want to try to avoid adding options for everything as a way to correct an issue and instead see if we can address why you're asking for the option in the first place.

It's not that it's "annoying" Lylirra, but in fact for a fair number of people that suffer from motion sickness, it can be physically nauseating. Having to take Dramamine to play Diablo 3 isn't on their top 10 list of things they want to do. ;)

Community Manager
12/10/2012 09:59 PMPosted by enem
you provide options to disable music. isn;t this request somewhere in the same ballpark?

Didn't say the idea was in the realm of "never," just that we'd rather try to fix the issue at its core rather than simply opting for another menu option over other solutions.

Still, I really respect your post and perspective on the matter (similar for other replies in this thread) and am happy to pass on the feedback.
agree, fixing the cause of the issue is always better than treating the symptoms.
appreciate the feedback, and good to see lots of blue activity in the forums :)
90 Pandaren Hunter
12/10/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Plebeian
This is arrogance, you want to force us to play the game exactly how you designed it?

Oh the irony...
12/10/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is arrogance, you want to force us to play the game exactly how you designed it?

Just because we disagree with a specific suggestion or solution doesn't mean we're arrogant, or that we even think the suggestion/solution is bad. It just means it doesn't mesh with our design philosophy for the game, and it's okay for players and designers to sometimes have disagreements on that front.

To a point, games are designed to be played a specific way, and that call is really up to the people who designed it.
While we do happily listen to player feedback and have made many, many positive changes as a result of your input, there will probably always be some situations where our opinions for how the game should function or look will differ.

So in other words, arrogance. Because saying the game was designed to be played that way and thats that is arrogance. There's a reason why other games have options to turn off screen shaking, its because some people simply don't like it (it doesn't bother me, Im just saying). How exactly is the game better because the screen shakes if someone doesn't like it? And it is pretty laughable to say that stuff was designed with people using abilities on mobs when they were further away when mobs can close distances in Inferno pretty fast and there's no real way to keep those mobs at the distances you had in mind. It's even worse to think that you didn't take it into account how people would use a great ability most of the time like Zombie Bears.
..Didn't say the idea was in the realm of "never," just that we'd rather try to fix the issue at its core rather than simply opting for another menu option over other solutions...

I understand you guys have a vision of the game, and you want people to accept that vision, but then you need to accept the limited count of people that will like the game. If you want a game good for everyone then you need to allow people to mod it to their style. Like wow UI addons. Adjust the strength of the shaking even if that means disabling it.
While we are on the topic of annoying screen effects how about the option to remove that god awful red hue when low on health?
11/27/2012 02:59 AMPosted by Prototype
Thats all i can say ....its so annoying that only good build for WD is zombie bears

No it isn't.
12/10/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Plebeian
We don't think that adding an option to disable screen shake is necessarily the best answer to this problem

Like every video game in existence, genius.
Option check boxes that I would love to see in the future:

Disable Screen Shake
Disable Weather Effects
Disable Red Hue when low on health
Disable Blabbering Followers
I find this bizzare. I've never really noticed it shake. I've used Zombie Bears and I didn't even realise it shook lol.
There is no escape when i shake it in yo face!
I've recently begun feeling more agitated by the screen shaking, as I've been improving my monk. When using my FoT build I have more than 2 attacks per second and >40% chance of critting. This translates to my screen jittering around like crazy, and the shaking really makes the game less fun for me. When monsters are dying as quickly as I can click on them, a constantly shaking screen makes for sub-optimal target selection. I'm also going to raise my hand and say this gets hard on my eyes after a while.

I think my monk is a pretty cool guy. eh kills demons all day and doesn't afraid of anything. I get it, he's a bad dude who hits monsters so hard that all of Sanctuary trembles in his wake. I don't want to be reminded of that every second, though.
12/10/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
To a point, games are designed to be played a specific way, and that call is really up to the people who designed it. While we do happily listen to player feedback and have made many, many positive changes as a result of your input, there will probably always be some situations where our opinions for how the game should function or look will differ.

That's true. We aren't forced to play this game. It's more like we were baited... lol.. but seriously, most of the core designs from the previous installments are totally ignored and never appear in this third installment. So why bother even call it Diablo 3? I mean, this is not a bad game at all but it's not really the game that most of us have expected to play. If the core philosophies of the series are no longer there and replaced with some other philosophies... good or bad, it just doesn't deserve its title. It would have been better to just start its own title and genre.
I kinda agree with Blizz here. Diablo is a very casual game in a lot of ways.
Being able to control your game is good, but in this case, it's best not to be thrown to dead with options.
Casuals rather just play the game than browse through the option menus. I think it's especially this group that gets hurt by this issue.
Please add the option to disable it completely, like the Torchlight developers did here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686

Here's the wikipedia link for the condition the poster mentioned there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystagmus
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 12/12/2012 7:48 PM PST
Screen shaking is so annoying. I want it to be totally off, from every single Bash swing on my barb to the terrible Stonefort shakings.

Backgrounds should move smoothly in games. That they are not moving smoothly is the main reason I can't play the FPS games at all because I get illness after 15 minutes because the camera moves around so fast and shaky.
Edited by cozaoz#2550 on 12/12/2012 10:27 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]