Diablo® III

Add option to disable SCREEN SHAKING please !

(Locked)

Since I actually like the screen shaking, please - if you want to disable it, make it an optional decision.
I'm going to disagree with the development team's decision on this issue, because the shaking is much more pervasive than player or NPC skills. In Acts 3-4 (especially Keep Depths and Silver Spire) there is a frequent amount of shaking that causes considerable eye strain which often leads to headaches. It doesn't take a long session to feel this effect and makes me avoid these areas, regardless of how well they were designed. Combining this with SFX shaking just exaggerates the problem.

It would help many players if there were more options to scale down effects like these, much like there is a way to minimize or maximize physics interactions. Little additions and options like that have really added to my enjoyment of the game. Many of those options were absent from the first two Diablo's and I noticed them immediately after starting this game.
Hello, just chiming in to say that an option to turn off the screen shaking (from skills, hits, scenery or whatever source) would be much appreciated.
___
Profile on EU
Just put option right now and after you fix the issue correctly - remove it. That way both parties will be happy.
Thank You! Other people feel this way too?

PLEASE give option to remove screen shaking.

It is NOT annoying. IT HURTS.

Many games give the option to stop screen shaking. This is not one thing on a list of bs changes.
Need to be able to completely turn this off, it gives me a headache and nausea. The spells that cause it are way of a hundred fists, fists of thunder, deadly reach and crippling wave.
Edited by Diablomoney#1925 on 12/19/2012 11:33 AM PST
Remember when people used to take personal responsibility for their actions instead of demanding that everyone cater to their needs?

If you have (insert mental disorder here) and playing Diablo makes you all wonky, then STOP PLAYING THE GAME.

It's not their fault that you're suffering. It's YOUR fault because you are too stupid to know when to quit doing something you shouldn't be doing.

I have one arm. Do I try to open doors with my left hand? No, that would be STUPID. Someone used the analogy of a wheelchair and stairs. While that's a little extreme, I disagree with the poster. You SHOULD get over it. You're crippled. That's a fact. You can't climb stairs. Fact two. So do you !@#$% at the business owner because there's no ramp and he's an insensitive @$$hole? No, you just go shop somewhere else. He pays the price because you didn't buy from him and he lost out on the money.

If lights and colors and shaking mess you up, then STOP. Get off your ego trip where you think you can command other people to do your bidding and accept the fact that you are screwed up and there's some things that you just can't do. If I'm 5'0", I'm not playing in the NBA. I'm not going to sue the NBA and demand that they make a height limit for players just so I can be catered to.

Arrogance indeed.
Remember when people used to take personal responsibility for their actions instead of demanding that everyone cater to their needs?

If you have (insert mental disorder here) and playing Diablo makes you all wonky, then STOP PLAYING THE GAME.

It's not their fault that you're suffering. It's YOUR fault because you are too stupid to know when to quit doing something you shouldn't be doing.

I have one arm. Do I try to open doors with my left hand? No, that would be STUPID. Someone used the analogy of a wheelchair and stairs. While that's a little extreme, I disagree with the poster. You SHOULD get over it. You're crippled. That's a fact. You can't climb stairs. Fact two. So do you !@#$% at the business owner because there's no ramp and he's an insensitive @$$hole? No, you just go shop somewhere else. He pays the price because you didn't buy from him and he lost out on the money.

If lights and colors and shaking mess you up, then STOP. Get off your ego trip where you think you can command other people to do your bidding and accept the fact that you are screwed up and there's some things that you just can't do. If I'm 5'0", I'm not playing in the NBA. I'm not going to sue the NBA and demand that they make a height limit for players just so I can be catered to.

Arrogance indeed.

Seek help. Your 'logic' is ridiculous.
another case: my friends told me -- y'know, back when ppl used to play together -- that w/ them playing as melee (read: not WW barb), my bola explosions would shake their screen constantly and it was annoying. so put that in your calculations for a fix, plz.

12/10/2012 08:24 PMPosted by Lylirra
TL; DR

just make it an option. stop being difficult tbh.

edit: P.S. get rid of identifying. WE _ ALL _ HATE _ IT. So, stop being difficult about that, too, tbh.
Edited by STG#1110 on 12/20/2012 8:50 AM PST
I like how the shake effect works today, and I would miss it depending on how you "fixed" it...
This is still an issue. I experience vertigo and nausea when playing.
This is directly affecting whether or not people are playing this game and defenitely how much they play it. Please make this a priority. If you can't make a good fix by fixing the "core problem" as the blue post said in this thread then please make a quick fix of allowing us to remove it completely.

The amount of posts on this subject is huge. Try a google search and you will see that there are loads and loads of posts about this on other websites as well as on this forum.
Edited by Peppar#2486 on 1/19/2013 1:34 AM PST
By judging new fixes and patches releasing frequency, I wouldn't give it too much hope.
Isn't in the terms of the game warning and conditions play at your own risk?

Think of it like pro sports when the doctor says you can not do this anymore or your risking your health..
12/10/2012 10:12 PMPosted by Lylirra
Here's a video I think you might like in return: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Wy7gRGgeA

I laughed. Thanks lylirra
The primary issue is with the way many of the spells with a "shake" effect were designed. The shake itself isn't so bad if the spell is cast on a target that's farther away from your character, and that's how we imagined those spells would primarily be used when we originally implemented them

I don't get that, because I use a WW barb and get shake effect. I would want to disable it to increase my frame rate.
Barbarian skill "Bash" shake too much.
At a attack speed of more than 2.50, you can not see anything.
We don't think that adding an option to disable screen shake is necessarily the best answer to this problem, but we do agree that a) it is a problem (even if it's not high priority) and b) we'd like to do something about it.

It's not just spells that cause massive amounts of unnecessary screen shaking. There are tons of environment gimmicks that do it too (fireballs dropping from the sky, exploding barrels in the A3 keeps, I think maybe the oil containers in stonefort too). Not of single one of these adds to the actual gameplay of D3, and none of them would be missed nor cause any imbalances if they were completely removed from the game (or at least demoted to non-shaking status). I am personally of the opinion that adding such an option would be the best and most straightforward way to solve this issue, rather than having to manually tweak each and every effect, which would still leave some people annoyed.
Edited by Dazarath#1968 on 1/19/2013 4:28 AM PST
Quake had an option to disable your gun bobbing around, and that was FAR less distracting than screen shake.

Plz just add the option to disable it entirely.
I am at first happy that screen shaking issue finally gets a blue response, but rather sad after reading the actual response. This request is not new (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?q=screen+shake) and the ones who are asking it actually suffered from screen shaking, not just annoyed. This is totally different from players are not playing the game as designed. I used to avoid Fist of Thunder build due to screen shaking, but I finally cope with it (partly because I don't really look at the screen now.)

Please add the option to disable it completely, like the Torchlight developers did here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686

Here's the wikipedia link for the condition the poster mentioned there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystagmus

Looking at how fast Torchlight developer fixed the issue, and how blue commented on how tedious programming could be, but in the same time act as a messenger only. I have only one thought: sigh.
90 Pandaren Monk
Existing Problem

Solutions:

Logical Solution - Add an option.
Bad Solution (typically means "just ignore the people")
Blizzard Solution - Convoluted, unnecessarily expensive work around that doesn't really solve the problem but doesn't really "not" solve it either. Oh, and then brag about all the choices/options players have.
Edited by Caz#1594 on 1/19/2013 5:41 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]