Diablo® III

Does the lack of build variety...

Annoy anyone else?

I'm just coming back to D3 after dropping it a few weeks after release because of a lack of desire to play Inferno.

Me and a few buddies decided to roll new characters and I picked monk, but I'm finding inferno to be so... linear.

Like seriously, what build options do I really have? There's one cookie cutter setup, and everything outside of that is only 1 rune different or a Tempest Rush farming build.

And what the hell is up with the cost of items. How the hell am I realistically supposed to ever buy something that costs 100 million gold. Unless I luck out and get a similarly priced drop it doesn't seem possible farm that much in a realistic amount of time.

Am I missing something from the game right now? Are there actually more build options that I'm just not seeing discussed on the forums? Is there some secret to farming that I'm missing?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Annoy anyone else?

Yes it does.

Am I missing something from the game right now? Are there actually more build options that I'm just not seeing discussed on the forums? Is there some secret to farming that I'm missing?

No there are not.

Tough it out until Blizz looks into monk build-diversity or re-roll or quit for a while.

I personally LOVE trying to break the mold and farming the same run over and over is relaxing so grinding out millions of gold is NBD. If that doesn't fit your playstyle, Blizz will eventually fix things for you and you can come back then to have fun! :D
Reply Quote

And what the hell is up with the cost of items. How the hell am I realistically supposed to ever buy something that costs 100 million gold. Unless I luck out and get a similarly priced drop it doesn't seem possible farm that much in a realistic amount of time.

Why would you need something that costs 100 million gold?
Reply Quote

Let me clarify then.

I have read your guide Piffle and it actually helped me understand what gear I should be going for, and I really appreciate it.

But even farming the few million gold you demonstrate is needed to get a decent set seems like a daunting task. I'm barely finding rares that sell for 50k. It literally just feels like I'm farming and crossing my fingers, hoping to get lucky enough to get 1 drop that might be worth a million or two, and then I have to turn around and do that all again.
Reply Quote
How do you make 100m gold? You play the game, farm until you get lucky. Don't kill 2000 elites and expect to have endgame items, if you do, this is not the game for you.

There are 2 efficient cookie cutter builds. If you want to go out the box, use lordrahlls weird !@# builds.
Reply Quote
there is more to monk than the cookie cutter, you must see through the veil of the mainstream knowledge.
You have much to learn, young one. And when you acknowledge the existence of the Force,
then shall build variety appear. Only then, will you know where to look in these forums, for the answers. ;)
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 12/4/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
If you want build diversity give Witch Doctor a try, they have the most viable options at this point with 0ZD, Pile On, Bears, WoS to name a few.

Barb and DH also both have a few more viable options than the last two. Of course, most people at this point use WW and Spike Traps respectively. But there are other VERY viable options like Hammer of the Ancients or Weapon Throw, and Cluster Arrow or Ball Lightning too.

Unfortunately at this point Monk and Wiz have the least options when it comes to skills. Some are just so much better than the others like Thunderclap and Critical Mass, that theres really no reason not to use them.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 12/4/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
If you want build diversity give Witch Doctor a try, they have the most viable options at this point with 0ZD, Pile On, Bears, WoS to name a few.

Barb and DH also both have a few more viable options the last two. Of course, most people at this point use WW and Spike Traps respectively. But there are other VERY viable options like Hammer of the Ancients or Weapon Throw, and Cluster Arrow or Ball Lightning too.

Unfortunately at this point Monk and Wiz have the least options when it comes to skills. Some are just so much better than the others like Thunderclap and Critical Mass, that theres really no reason not to use them.

Can you give me a link or explanation of the spike-traps DH build? that is the only build you listed I am unfamiliar with and I like knowing this stuff! :D
Reply Quote
Personally, I don't understand the need people seem to have to be farming MP10 crowded areas lightning speed over and over again... If not for that, you don't really need millions of gold worth equipment and can concentrate on having fun...
[Editing typos and errors...]
Edited by lronqui#1761 on 12/4/2012 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
12/04/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Druin
Can you give me a link or explanation of the spike-traps DH build? that is the only build you listed I am unfamiliar with and I like knowing this stuff! :D

Its the FOTM thing right now I think :p It usually goes a little like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQgkVh!Ye!.aY..Z

The runes for the skills I left unruned are what I usually see variation from.

Bola Shot - usually people either use Volatile Explosives or Imminent Doom (I prefer the latter)
Sentry - usually people either use Spitfire or Guardian (I prefer the former, for more dps)
Preparation - usually people either use Battle Scars or Backup Plan (I prefer the latter, out of habit lol)

As far as passives, I see a lot of people not even using Steady Aim at this point and especially with Spike Trap since generally you end up just face tanking stuff with Gloom. Archery is actually the only passive I still used by pretty much every DH. As far as the other two, these are all good options:

- Tactical Advantage - survivability
- Vengeance - farming
- Night Stalker - survivability (this one is very popular for higher Gloom uptime)
- Perfectionist - survivability (adds mitigation + Gloom uptime)
- Custom Engineering (adds more potential dps via ST and Turret - this is what I use)
- Steady Aim - dps

edit - DH really is fun with Spike Traps. If I throw my Monk gear on my DH I have over 100k dps with Steady Aim and Archery. The traps melt stuff so quick :p The sustain with WF + Gloom is more than enough even in mp5. Its kind of funny though, people spend so much money on Manticores and don't even shoot them, they just throw down traps that blow stuff up lol.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 12/4/2012 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

Let me clarify then.

I have read your guide Piffle and it actually helped me understand what gear I should be going for, and I really appreciate it.

But even farming the few million gold you demonstrate is needed to get a decent set seems like a daunting task. I'm barely finding rares that sell for 50k. It literally just feels like I'm farming and crossing my fingers, hoping to get lucky enough to get 1 drop that might be worth a million or two, and then I have to turn around and do that all again.

Hm. Well, I apologize for the sarcastic response then :P Getting a little cynical from reading all the "halp halp" posts by people who have too much gold and too little sense, and forgot what it's like to gear up from nothing.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Piffle
Getting a little cynical from reading all the "halp halp" posts by people who have too much gold and too little sense, and forgot what it's like to gear up from nothing.

increase you dps size now, only 10.0k inches and above will qualify!

Funny seeing a monk coming into a monk forums, asking for monk builds,
ended up getting directions to the demon hunter forums. gg.
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 12/4/2012 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Funny seeing a monk coming into a monk forums, asking for monk builds,
ended up getting directions to the demon hunter forums. gg.

I suggested WD not DH :O
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 12:13 PMPosted by Quantum
But even farming the few million gold you demonstrate is needed to get a decent set seems like a daunting task. I'm barely finding rares that sell for 50k. It literally just feels like I'm farming and crossing my fingers, hoping to get lucky enough to get 1 drop that might be worth a million or two, and then I have to turn around and do that all again

The fact that you're barely finding rares that sell for 50K should tell you something: that even decent gear is cheap. You don't need millions right now. You can probably upgrade several of the pieces you're wearing for 50K.

Anyway, if you want to maximize your gold earned per hour, by far the most efficient method offered within game is the AH. Buy low and sell high. Items are placed on sale for incredible discount far more frequently than similar items will drop for you.

As for being annoyed at the lack of build variety, yeah. I've experimented with several odd gear/skill combinations, and some of them are great fun. But if your goal is to maximize farming efficiency, then one build will almost always be the more efficient than all the others. Use that one. You can always choose to not make that your goal. Then a whole bunch of options open up.

One thing I almost hope Blizzard does is to nerf the whole snapshotting of Sweeping Winds thing. I only "almost" hope they do they do this because I see that they could easily mess it up by underestimating it's current value. But it's just too damn efficient to use a bunch of temporarily buffs to get a permanent bonus. I've had to sell my Skorn just to avoid temptation.
Reply Quote
But even farming the few million gold you demonstrate is needed to get a decent set seems like a daunting task. I'm barely finding rares that sell for 50k. It literally just feels like I'm farming and crossing my fingers, hoping to get lucky enough to get 1 drop that might be worth a million or two, and then I have to turn around and do that all again

The fact that you're barely finding rares that sell for 50K should tell you something: that even decent gear is cheap. You don't need millions right now. You can probably upgrade several of the pieces you're wearing for 50K.

I felt bad after reading the OP's response to my initial snarky response so I went and looked at what you could put together in the AH if you spent no more than 50k on a single item. So over the course of about half an hour (not sure it even took that long either), this is what I came up with:

Price: 496,564
DPS: 51,945
Health: 39,581
Resist: 676
Armor: 4681
EH: 442,078
MS: 11%

That's assuming you're using the same quality gems as you currently have (38 dex) in your armor and have 1 of the same in each weapon. Price does not include the gems. There's no LoH or LS, but at lower MP levels you shouldn't really need any.

So there's definitely decent gear to be had on even the strictest budget.

edit: I guess those stats are with a 43 paragon monk. So your mileage may vary :P
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 12/4/2012 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
[quote]
I felt bad after reading the OP's response to my initial snarky response so I went and looked at what you could put together in the AH if you spent no more than 50k on a single item. So over the course of about half an hour (not sure it even took that long either), this is what I came up with:

Price: 496,564
DPS: 51,945
Health: 39,581
Resist: 676
Armor: 4681
EH: 442,078
MS: 11%

That's assuming you're using the same quality gems as you currently have (38 dex) in your armor and have 1 of the same in each weapon. Price does not include the gems. There's no LoH or LS, but at lower MP levels you shouldn't really need any.

So there's definitely decent gear to be had on even the strictest budget.

edit: I guess those stats are with a 43 paragon monk. So your mileage may vary :P

Thanks. I appreciate your help, I'm just kind of venting I guess. I was really let down by D3 on release, and coming back now I was hoping for a much better experience, but I'm not sure if I'm going to find it at this rate. Thanks anyways though.
Reply Quote
i constantly change my spec depending on what gear i have, what i am doing, and group make up ( rare farming, PLng a friend, ubers, key runs, TR exp farming)..makes monk very fun to play! Put some random builds on your hot bar and try to make it work in an MP that you feel comfortable in, that's always fun too, you will be surprised!
Reply Quote
@Piffle: Some of us are still gearing up from nothing! But we're looking' pretty good, all things considered :)
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
@Piffle: Some of us are still gearing up from nothing! But we're looking' pretty good, all things considered :)

Vrk, you don't count because you spend most of your time "playing" with numbers in a spreadsheet :P
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Piffle
Getting a little cynical from reading all the "halp halp" posts by people who have too much gold and too little sense, and forgot what it's like to gear up from nothing.

This is exactly like life as a systems engineer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]