Diablo® III

Diablo III: Hardcore Mode

Having leveled all classes to 60 on both softcore and hardcore, I know what the game is like on both sides. One might think, hardcore mode is stupid because you lose your character. I thought the same thing.

I have lost a P19 Witch Doctor to a computer crash and a few DH's and Barbarians to random things.

I have also leveled a Witch Doctor to Paragon 50+ on softcore who also has capped MF of 375. Do I find better items? No...

The game has come down to, what is fun? Well, both hardcore and softcore have there pro's and con's.

I have realized that softcore has far to many con's right now to justify playing it right now. I highly suggest you check out hardcore mode.

Softcore Mode:

1.) Filled with bots
2.) Broken economy
3.) Gold is no longer worth anything
4.) Crafting is worthless
5.) Only godly items are worth something
6.) No one sticks together in public games.
7.) No risk of dying, game is always easy.

Hardcore Mode:

1.) No bots
2.) Economy is always thriving because items are always being refreshed instead of flooded.
3.) Gold has value.
4.) Crafting has a meaning in hardcore.
5.) Lots of items are worth something.
6.) Players have more of a team player attitude in public games.
7.) Risk of death, adds excitement and a challenge.

Last reason why I am going back to hardcore is that I actually found a godly ring on Softcore. A litany ring with 49% crit damage and perfect 169 intellect. I been putting it up on the AH for 2 weeks and posted it on the forums. No one is buying anything because of the flooded economy. Tons of bots, so why even spend your gold?

There will be hardcore haters who will troll this post. That's fine. Hardcore mode actually brings the fun back into the game.
Reply Quote
you die everithing is gone
Reply Quote
i enjoyed hardcore. made me play better. except here in Australia playing on American servers my latency never gos below 260 so the lag can be brutal and spike to 1200 - 2000 without warning and my HC sandwasp death when my screen was empty of enemies sorta killed it for me
Reply Quote
+1 OP. I could not agree more. HC is soo much fun. I have yet to reach lvl 60 and I have 4 dead HC that are over lvl 50. Now you say - that hurts, and ya it did - but I don't cry about it. Instead - gotta get back on the horse and not make the same mistakes.

I remeber my first HC attempt at the Butcher - man my heart was pumping, now i breeze past the big galute.

SO you lose all the gear when ya die - the idea is not to die.
Edited by UnifiedEarth#1427 on 11/24/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1 OP. I could not agree more. HC is soo much fun. I have yet to reach lvl 60 and I have 4 dead HC that are over lvl 50. Now you say - that hurts, and ya it did - but I don't cry about it. Instead - gotta get back on the horse and not make the same mistakes.

I remeber my first HC attempt at the Butcher - man my heart was pumping, now i breeze past the big galute.

SO you lose all the gear when ya die - the idea is not to die.

Keep at it bro!

Vitality is #1 stat 1-50

50+, grab vitality with resists and armor.

At level 60, if your gear isn't that great, do some public hell games or even solo, Act 3...

15-50+ flawless square gems help a lot and they aren't that expensive.

Crafting helps 1-50+ also.... Free rares pretty much...
Reply Quote
Unfortunately when I play now, there is a huge lag upon inital load. Maybe when I get a new comp I can play HC again
Reply Quote
View profile
right now im using softie chars to test the waters for my hc
Reply Quote
The ultimate challenge for me will be gearing to do MP1 Act 1/2 or Act 3 MP0...

Act 1 MP0 Inferno is super easy now but the items aren't that great.

I think once you get to the point where you can do Act 3 MP0 comfortably, it will really pick up.

My softcore WD can literally faceroll MP0 Act 3 without any risk of dying. I'm gonna try and get my HC Witch Doctor to the same point.
Reply Quote
11/24/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Drakhe

Duh this is why the economy thrives. I actually just sold a pair of gloves that were level 4 for a million gold

+4 int
+5 vit
2% ias
gold find
magic find
pickup radius.

GG
Reply Quote
I'll admit I'm having more fun in Hardcore lately.

I have a paragon level 62 Witch Doctor that does nothing but farm XP and gear and I was getting really burned out of the game.

Hardcore fixes a lot of issues with the game as it stands. There's a use for crafting, there's a use to pick up gems (i haven't picked up gems in my SC WD in a very long time). There's a point to picking up tombs etc.

I also play HC as self found. I don't use the AH for gear at all. I might sell things there to bankroll crafting, but I don't buy any gear.

It's been interesting so far.
Reply Quote
11/24/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Dem22z

Duh this is why the economy thrives. I actually just sold a pair of gloves that were level 4 for a million gold

+4 int
+5 vit
2% ias
gold find
magic find
pickup radius.

GG

honestly thats an extreme case.

You know what they say, an idiot and his money are soon parted? yeah you found one of those.
Reply Quote
been there done that, maybe when aliens share their lag-free servers with us ill play hc again
Reply Quote
HC player here :) I actually had a thread "What would it take to get you to play hardcore"

400 posts later, 90% of everyone said server quality or their connection to the server prevents them from playing hardcore.
Reply Quote
I must say, I use a 30MB bandwidth cable modem connection from Charter. 1.5-2.0MB download speed. I have never been disconnected from the game. So I believe DC's are mainly from either Blizzard (Which is rare) or your internet.

The thing that got me was my own computer crashed on me once and I died. That was purely my fault.

Ultimately, there is a risk, but it's quite low as long as you have a decent internet and computer.
Reply Quote
Also another reason, apart from server quality here in Aus is the fact that there's a few other game mechanics which just kill you out of the blue. I couldn't deal with that in Hardcore.

Essentially 95% of the game is pretty much auto pilot till you get a certain affix/enemy combination then its 5% where you have to have 100% focus and concentration to survive.

If your not ready for a demonic tremor pack with reflect damage and fast for example your dead, pretty much out of the blue.
That and certain enemies which have unfair abilities, whilst not a problem in softcore would mean you would die from off screen charges for example. Not a good, or fair way to die, that's why I don't play HC, it sounds really great though and a lot more worthwhile.
Reply Quote
11/24/2012 11:26 AMPosted by Raserei
Hardcore Mode:

8.)Waste of time
9.)For what ?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]