Diablo® III

3rd party program question

This game follows what many PC games do now. It's a PC game in only the choice of platform it's played on.

Many things that PC gamers have been able to do for years have become more and more limited because the publishing company sees these things as lost revenue. The mod days are still around in some niche games from indy devs, but in any mainstream title, modding or making any changes to the game at all is completely shut down, even if it is something the community wants.

Eventually, Blizz will probably incorporate features from Loot Alert into the game itself if enough people want it, and it will ultimately make them money. From my understanding, the ping for legendary weapons now, is largely based on what Loot Alert started doing some time ago.

I'm not going to use Loot Alert, but it has many features I would like some version of. I'd like to be able to customize what I see drop and how I'm notified of those drops. There's another ARPG game out right now that already has some of these features and also allows modding. In other words, it's very customizable.

I enjoy D3, and I plan to keep playing it, but the lack of customization in this game, very much removes the Personal from Personal Computer.

As for third party programs, it's a violation of the ToS, and it's stated pretty clearly. Use at your own risk.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Vaeflare
Regardless of what modes you intend to play -- if you enjoy solo-play or playing with friends -- third-party software of any kind is not permitted in conjunction with Diablo III. I would highly suggest you check out [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7810825/Diablo_III_Players_Banned-11_8_2012"]this recent blog post[/url] for further information.

As a multiboxer, I would appreciate it if you didn't use blanket statements like this. Multiboxing software is tolerated, yet we are constantly attacked because of the third party software argument.

Here's a small list of third party software unfairly falling under your blanket statement.
Windows/Linux/OSX
Skype/Mumble/Teamspeak
D3bit
XSplit
FRAPS
Inner Space

I'm sure there are more, this is just off the top of my head.

Edit: How could I forget everyone's beloved XFire?
Edited by Lumpy#1539 on 11/27/2012 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
On a legal basis -- You purchase conditional rights to use the software when you buy a video game. You by no means have any ownership of it. Whenever you buy a game, whether it be online, offline, LAN, etc -- you do not have any explicit rights to using third party programs on the game unless defined otherwise by the Terms of Service.

This is well stated
Reply Quote

As a multiboxer,

You deserve to be banned for thinking that multiboxing is supported by the ToS.

...but then, if it makes you buy 4 copies of the game then I'm sure that Blizzard would allow it.
Edited by Diomedes#1380 on 11/27/2012 4:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 10:35 AMPosted by soulesseye
Regardless of what modes you intend to play -- if you enjoy solo-play or playing with friends -- third-party software of any kind is not permitted in conjunction with Diablo III. I would highly suggest you check out [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7810825/Diablo_III_Players_Banned-11_8_2012"]this recent blog post[/url] for further information.

so multi boxing is aganint the tos

no,,, boxing makes Blizz money so that one is A OK!
Reply Quote
I also agree - why are loot alert users not banned?
Reply Quote

As a multiboxer,

...but then, if it makes you buy 4 copies of the game then I'm sure that Blizzard would allow it.

Multiboxing is permitted in many games, and Diablo 3 is no exception. Your response is a prime example of why blanket statements are bad.
Reply Quote

Multiboxing is permitted in many games, and Diablo 3 is no exception. Your response is a prime example of why blanket statements are bad.

WarOnline and Conan its pretty much a given to multi-box or run with a pocket healer 24-7
Reply Quote

It is only allowed because it allows Blizz (and other companies) to generate 4x the revenue off of one user and they know it.If it weren't for that, it would clearly be seen as a violation of the TOS. For crying out loud if Blizz is defending their perma-ban of LINUX users then this is absolutely no different.

Multiboxing in a loot-driven game (ESPECIALLY one where the loot has real-world value) clearly gives the user an advantage over other users by having one person find 4x the loot. This is in clear violation of the "spirit" of the anti-3rd party program clause of the TOS.

I will conceede that multi-boxing alone (using virtual machines and 4 licenses of the game) may not directly violate the TOS - the fact that all multiboxers are forced to use lootalert is. If multiboxers were alt-tabbing between windows to check for loot after every pack then they would have a valid argument to stand on that they were not violating the TOS - but the fact is that they're not.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Lumpy

As a multiboxer, I would appreciate it if you didn't use blanket statements like this. Multiboxing software is tolerated, yet we are constantly attacked because of the third party software argument.

Here's a small list of third party software unfairly falling under your blanket statement.
Windows/Linux/OSX
Skype/Mumble/Teamspeak
D3bit
XSplit
FRAPS
Inner Space

I'm sure there are more, this is just off the top of my head.

Edit: How could I forget everyone's beloved XFire?

I have a question for you - how do you have all four accounts move/attack/etc at one time? Do you click to move, alt tab, click to move etc on each individual window?
Or do you have some kind of program (third party or blizzard) which allows all four accounts to mimick the behaviour of the primary account?
Reply Quote

It is only allowed because it allows Blizz (and other companies) to generate 4x the revenue off of one user and they know it.If it weren't for that, it would clearly be seen as a violation of the TOS. For crying out loud if Blizz is defending their perma-ban of LINUX users then this is absolutely no different.

Multiboxing in a loot-driven game (ESPECIALLY one where the loot has real-world value) clearly gives the user an advantage over other users by having one person find 4x the loot. This is in clear violation of the "spirit" of the anti-3rd party program clause of the TOS.

I will conceede that multi-boxing alone (using virtual machines and 4 licenses of the game) may not directly violate the TOS - the fact that all multiboxers are forced to use lootalert is. If multiboxers were alt-tabbing between windows to check for loot after every pack then they would have a valid argument to stand on that they were not violating the TOS - but the fact is that they're not.

I really don't want to derail the topic to defend multiboxing because there are so many other topics where you can find that information, so this will be my last post here about it.

Multiboxing is allowed in free to play games, so money is an invalid argument.

They aren't defending any Linux ban, and if someone was banned for it and it was not reversed, it was because of something besides Linux.

With 4x the advantages come 4x the disadvantages as well. While focus fire is an added advantage, any aoe or crowd control is much worse for a boxer than a single player.]

While the statement made in this thread will lead you to believe that all third party software is not allowed, that is not the case. Your operating system is third party software.

Loot Alert is not a requirement. People were multiboxing D3 just fine before it ever existed.

Yes, I use a program called Inner Space to multibox. No, I am not afraid to admit it. It provides no automation. 1 click = 1 action per account. It is a software solution for a KVM switch.
Reply Quote
What if you develop the software yourself? Would that technically be second-party software? The rewards of lawless loops?
Reply Quote
problem is... how to tell the difference? if we all could play offline, use bots, etc.. then log in and sell the goods. How would it be fair? it wouldnt. So, plain and simple.... dont use bots.

and really whats the point? you buy a game to play it.... not to let it play itself.

thats why d2/lod had open battle.net
Reply Quote
The ToS clearly states : "If at any point you find yourself having fun, please fill out a report stating when and where and post in the Bug Report area of the forums. The item and area in question will be removed at our earlierest convenience, if confirmed, via patch or hotfix."

Need to read it closer

ROFL this is awesome.. so true, oh are you having fun? lets nerf that [DH] lol.
Reply Quote
Modding dead? You have heard about Bethesda right...
Reply Quote
My theory is you are not allowed to use 3rd party programs or hack/bot unless you are streaming.

If you stream you are advertising the game for blizzard so they make more sales, thus you get a green light to do whataver you want.

Just dont hack/bot without your stream on.
Edited by Adam#1358 on 12/2/2012 8:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
My theory is you are not allowed to use 3rd party programs or hack/bot unless you are streaming.

If you stream you are advertising the game for blizzard so they make more sales, thus you get a green light to do whataver you want.

Just dont hack/bot without your stream on.

Makes sense, lol.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 10:35 AMPosted by soulesseye

so multi boxing is aganint the tos

Nope - it makes Blizzard gain more money for sold copies :) It's unfair for the players, but it suits ActiBlizz well.
Reply Quote
View profile
i hate cheaters too, but now zooming out is considered illegal?
i mean, you don't get alot of range in this game to begin with...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]