Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Hello. 2 questions...i did this in another forum post but it seems like most of the TR related discussions are focused in here.

1) How necessary is inna's 4-piece? I'm using a 3 piece build and was wondering if I need to spend gold on a belt. My only concern is survivability. My all resist will drop big time if i drop it off of my belt.

2) What should I upgrade next? I was thinking of saving up and going for a good Vile Ward...but not 100%.

Don't have too much cash (around a mill) so please give me suggestions that are 5-6MM or less so that I can farm for the gold lol...100 mill per piece will most likely never be an option for me.

Pri
Reply Quote
hi Druin

Well im back and i have skorn , i hope you like and say its ok for farming.So my question is :

What is the next upgrade piece ? Because see some profile and a lot fo that dont buying xephir amulet, only soj + innas radiance helm
Reply Quote

Hey Druin, I have a question for you. I have my TR bound to a keyboard key so that I don't have to hold down the right mouse button all the time, but rather just hold the key and navigate with the mouse. One problem that I am having from time to time is that TR would reset, which then causes me to lose a bit of spirit because it gets recast right away (since it kind of happens really quickly I didn't even notice for a while, it sometimes happens to be "off" cooldown, which is when I realized what was happening). So, my question is, have you experienced anything like this and if so what could I do to solve this issue? Could it be that there's a certain way that I'm running into monsters that causes this?

Actually, another thing is, I don't know if it's because of my computer or internet connection, but for me it takes a while to load Rakkis Crossing or Bridge of Korsik from the waypoints in the towers. So, if I start my SW in the tower and go to Rakkis Crossing I often times lose it before I have a chance to refresh. It would be great if the route started at Rakkis, but I guess that's not an option. Anyway, I guess I should start it there. Funny enough this is not a problem when going to other waypoints.

Hey there Lazar,

Your fist problem is probably caused by one of three things:
1. You accidentally left click. If you left click at any time while holding TR, it will stop your TR to instead try to do w/e left click is (walk to a point a lot of the time)
2. You accidentally move the mouse to a non-ground area. If chat dialogue pops up or you accidentally hover over your spirit globe or anything like that, you will stop TRing. If you flick back and forth between these it will instantly kill your spirit.
3. You are getting "bumped" by monsters or traps. When you get "knocked back" by small knockbacks, it resets TR. This is caused by golgor and tremmor attacks as well as fire-ball traps.

Second problem:
This is either a gfx card issue (buy a better one) a RAM issue (buy more) or a hard-drive problem.
If it is one of the first two, then that means it will happen every time you zone (rakkis crossing is BY FAR the worst for this) and you may be able to fix it by setting your in game graphics to lower settings or closing out background programs running on your PC.
If it is the third problem (hard-drive) it should only happen when you first start up the game after having not played for a while.
This is due to the way that D3 loads all its animations and textures from your hard-drive.
The only way to fix this type of lag is to buy a Solid State Hard-drive which will load the graphics and skins instantly upon start-up.

Good luck!

Thanks, Druin! I should have mentioned that this is a very nice guide and it's great to have someone do so much testing and answer questions, etc. I have been playing around with TR for a while, but this brings it to another level :)

The issue that I'm having with it reseting seems to be something else and I can't quite figure it out. It doesn't happen too often so I am not all that concerned, but it is a bit annoying, because I am definitely not pressing left click, and actually hovering over my health globe, etc. doesn't seem to reset it. I did a bit of testing in town even and can't figure out what triggers it. It could be something like the rubber band, but different.... Anyways thanks again for the guide and the advice.

So what would you suggest for those of us that don't have enough AR to drop OWE? Also, I don't have the Xeph amulet, but I have a 1.9 SW SoJ and 1.9 Inna's Radiance (and a bit of IAS on my gloves), so I'm using BoH:Circ. I've done some testing myself and seems like dropping Fleet Footed is not a bad idea, because that way you go through mobs a bit slower and they take more damage. I am toying around with the idea of dropping OWE anyway and going for the 3 spirit reg. passives to drop BoH:Circ since I have a LS Skorn that I can use, but it seems like a single death can set you back a lot...

Cheers!
Reply Quote
By any chance do you use borderless windowed mode?

I find sometimes that i get so crazy whipping my mouse around the screen that i accidently mouse over a skill at the bottom of the screen (which stops TR for some reason) or accidently mouse off of the screen...
Reply Quote
Hello. 2 questions...i did this in another forum post but it seems like most of the TR related discussions are focused in here.

1) How necessary is inna's 4-piece? I'm using a 3 piece build and was wondering if I need to spend gold on a belt. My only concern is survivability. My all resist will drop big time if i drop it off of my belt.

2) What should I upgrade next? I was thinking of saving up and going for a good Vile Ward...but not 100%.

Don't have too much cash (around a mill) so please give me suggestions that are 5-6MM or less so that I can farm for the gold lol...100 mill per piece will most likely never be an option for me.

Pri

Hey Prisus, if you want my advice :), I would say the Inna's 4-piece is pretty important, as it not only gives you quite a bit of damage but being able to refresh SW is probably crucial, without it I think you would be losing it too often. If you can't afford the AR, you could try OWE with the 4-piece or maybe you can experiment with dropping Deadly Reach and going for FoT:Thunderclap with the 3-piece. As far as upgrades, yeah probably go for a Vile Ward, you can find some inexpensive ones and you can even get an elemental resist for pretty much free if you decided to go with OWE.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Lazar
Hey Prisus, if you want my advice :), I would say the Inna's 4-piece is pretty important, as it not only gives you quite a bit of damage but being able to refresh SW is probably crucial, without it I think you would be losing it too often. If you can't afford the AR, you could try OWE with the 4-piece or maybe you can experiment with dropping Deadly Reach and going for FoT:Thunderclap with the 3-piece. As far as upgrades, yeah probably go for a Vile Ward, you can find some inexpensive ones and you can even get an elemental resist for pretty much free if you decided to go with OWE.

Thanks for the advice...so i thought about it and i see why the 4 piece inna's is crucial....now that i think about what having my SW up all the time means I think i am going to try it. It also allows me to stop to pick up rares and stuff (still looting lol) and not lose my SW...but I need to get my res all up ever where else...So i'm going to run as is...get new gloves with res all, a vile ward with res all, and a ring with res all...if I do that I should be good to go. :) thanks again!
Reply Quote
First thanks for a great post Druin, educating us monks is appreciated. I've been experimenting with TR build since 1.04 and haven't gotten it to full fruitition until 1.05 due to dps reasons. I actually don't use the TR build anymore except for a change of pace, but it's a great build. I've been meaning to try out mantra submission for a couple weeks now, just haven't been playing as much lately.

Anyways, I don't know if this was brought up yet, I did read most of the pages but didn't see this alternative. Since I don't, and I'm sure others don't have a lot of spirit regening gear or an effective inna's set for the sweeping wind bonus, spirit becomes an issue obviously. I had quite a bit of success with using exalted soul instead of chant of resonance and using the air ally instead of BoH/SSS. I only get 1.8 regen from my gear and I can keep TR running almost all the time, very occasionally will it ever drop, approx once every 3-4 runs or so. The 250 spirit gives you quite a bit of time to get from pack to pack with TR and occasional recasting of sweeping wind usually isn't an issue. The time it usually takes to drain close to 0 spirit you will have run into a pack of elites to use a spirit gen on or the proc from air ally has come in. The ally also helps the cyclones clean up some of the mobs you pass, albeit a pretty limited time. Just thought I'd throw this alternative out there, I had quite a bit of success with it and figured it might help some with regearing.

Thanks again Druin.
Reply Quote

You nailed it!

I have now done enough testing to show that even without my "perfect gear" build, Cyclone is simply too good to pass up.

The main issue with Cyclone is that it requires a lot of crit which can be expensive.

I'm now trying with normal amulet because it give so much crit than Xeph. Figuring the dPS increase would cover lost of MoC also, eventough losing reach of Submission T___T. Got SoJ with less spirit, but... 7% TR CC! Just switched Exalted Soul to Guardian's Path, MoC:Sub to MoH:CB, with templar I stay at 13.52 spirit/sec

12/07/2012 04:14 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
@vell: SSS protects you from RD because you're invulnerable during the animation.

That explain, Thanks!
Now I know why I look so good with Serenity on reflect dmg enemieson uber.

Also, even the math is on the side of life after kill: enemies have around 100k life (i think thats generous in mp0.

Life after kill = 3000-4000
LS = 100000 * .02 *.06 = 1200

I agree with the guy that said you don't need any method of healing because of the amount of healthglobes that drop though, but thats assuming you have pretty good gear (highAR/ High armor /life). The Life after kill will allow you get away with less defense on a budget.

This also assumes an average Life on kill roll and a perfect LS roll.

I think Druin means: when you meet elite and SSS is on cooldown, you'll need that LS, badly.
Reply Quote
Ive never runned into an issue of needing LS in this build. If SSS is on cooldown you should be able to run a little farther ahead to kill some stuff to grab a few globes.

The only problem with not having LS is when you are not paying attention and you run itno a reflect pack and instantly die.

LS is nice, but definitely NOT necessary if you have the right defensive stats.

Considering the price of LS skorn is prob 10~15x that of a regular one, getting pick up radius is a MUCH more cost effective altnernative.
Edited by corrupti0N#1243 on 12/7/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

Hello Pri,

I tried to answer you in your other thread but perhaps my comment was missed! :D

1. I believe 4 piece Inna's is not only good for TR it is 100% necessary. If you watch my videos / read my guide, I detail exactly why keeping a single cast of SW up for the entire TR run is very important and you can reasonably only do this with 4 piece Inna's.

2. I don't do the gear recommendation thing so I will let other people cover that.

hi Druin

Well im back and i have skorn , i hope you like and say its ok for farming.So my question is :

What is the next upgrade piece ? Because see some profile and a lot fo that dont buying xephir amulet, only soj + innas radiance helm

Hey there Gilby,

That Skorn looks fine by me! It doesn't have any sustain stats so you will be living off health globes. This means you are going to want some pickup-radius on your gear somewhere.

As for where to go next, you are still lacking spirit/sec on your helm and maybe an SoJ.

Using MoH:Circ is perfectly acceptable for people who don't want to buy a Xeph ammy!

Thanks, Druin! I should have mentioned that this is a very nice guide and it's great to have someone do so much testing and answer questions, etc. I have been playing around with TR for a while, but this brings it to another level :)

TYVM!! I super appreciate the support! :D

So what would you suggest for those of us that don't have enough AR to drop OWE? Also, I don't have the Xeph amulet, but I have a 1.9 SW SoJ and 1.9 Inna's Radiance (and a bit of IAS on my gloves), so I'm using BoH:Circ. I've done some testing myself and seems like dropping Fleet Footed is not a bad idea, because that way you go through mobs a bit slower and they take more damage. I am toying around with the idea of dropping OWE anyway and going for the 3 spirit reg. passives to drop BoH:Circ since I have a LS Skorn that I can use, but it seems like a single death can set you back a lot...

If you have a 1.9SoJ and a 1.9Inna's, you should have enough spir/sec to run a Full TR build as long as you drop MoC:Sub for MoH:Circ. Stick with SW:Cyclone as long as you can keep your CHC at even remotely reasonable levels.

If, instead, you end up with good DPS but low crit (high dex, some CHD items and a little IAS will do this) then you can switch SW:Cyclone to SW:Firestorm and get the full benefit of your DPS without worrying about Crit Chance.

Dropping Fleet Footed for OWE is the BEST choice if it prevents you from dieing. A single death prevented by OWE is a much better bonus to your xp/hr than the effect of Fleet Footed on a run that has 1 death.

You are almost certainly going to want to drop that IAS off your gloves in favor of any other useful stat (dex/vit/resists/CHD/CHC) so that you can get even better spir/sec while TRing and use SSS:FO.

SSS:FO is pretty important for people who use MoH:Circ because elites can take a long time without the bonus damage from MoC:Sub.

Thanks for the advice...so i thought about it and i see why the 4 piece inna's is crucial....now that i think about what having my SW up all the time means I think i am going to try it. It also allows me to stop to pick up rares and stuff (still looting lol) and not lose my SW...but I need to get my res all up ever where else...So i'm going to run as is...get new gloves with res all, a vile ward with res all, and a ring with res all...if I do that I should be good to go. :) thanks again!

Hey again Pri! I should note that I think you have more than enough spirit/sec with Xeph + SoJ + Inna's hat to be able to drop Exalted Soul in favor of OWE if you are having All Resists problems.

Just a thought! :D

First thanks for a great post Druin, educating us monks is appreciated. I've been experimenting with TR build since 1.04 and haven't gotten it to full fruitition until 1.05 due to dps reasons. I actually don't use the TR build anymore except for a change of pace, but it's a great build. I've been meaning to try out mantra submission for a couple weeks now, just haven't been playing as much lately.
Fi

My pleasure! Thanks for the support!

Anyways, I don't know if this was brought up yet, I did read most of the pages but didn't see this alternative. Since I don't, and I'm sure others don't have a lot of spirit regening gear or an effective inna's set for the sweeping wind bonus, spirit becomes an issue obviously. I had quite a bit of success with using exalted soul instead of chant of resonance and using the air ally instead of BoH/SSS. I only get 1.8 regen from my gear and I can keep TR running almost all the time, very occasionally will it ever drop, approx once every 3-4 runs or so. The 250 spirit gives you quite a bit of time to get from pack to pack with TR and occasional recasting of sweeping wind usually isn't an issue. The time it usually takes to drain close to 0 spirit you will have run into a pack of elites to use a spirit gen on or the proc from air ally has come in. The ally also helps the cyclones clean up some of the mobs you pass, albeit a pretty limited time. Just thought I'd throw this alternative out there, I had quite a bit of success with it and figured it might help some with regearing.

That is a fantastic idea!

I had never considered using ES for a large pool, slowly draining it and then using Air ally as another source of spir/sec!

I will certainly look into this as Air Ally would be helpful for more damage spread.

+1

I'm now trying with normal amulet because it give so much crit than Xeph. Figuring the dPS increase would cover lost of MoC also, eventough losing reach of Submission T___T. Got SoJ with less spirit, but... 7% TR CC! Just switched Exalted Soul to Guardian's Path, MoC:Sub to MoH:CB, with templar I stay at 13.52 spirit/sec

I think the MoH:Circ - no Xeph ammy build is probably better for the majority of monks out there! Keep it up! :D

I think Druin means: when you meet elite and SSS is on cooldown, you'll need that LS, badly.

That is what I mean and I definitely need to test this. I never considered getting anything but a LS Skorn because SW snapshots Lifesteal and so, for other builds, when using the SW-snapshot method, you 100% NEED LS on your Skorn.

It may turns out to be un-necessary for MP0 though .. we shall see!

Ive never runned into an issue of needing LS in this build. If SSS is on cooldown you should be able to run a little farther ahead to kill some stuff to grab a few globes.

The only problem with not having LS is when you are not paying attention and you run itno a reflect pack and instantly die.

LS is nice, but definitely NOT necessary if you have the right defensive stats.

Considering the price of LS skorn is prob 10~15x that of a regular one, getting pick up radius is a MUCH more cost effective altnernative.

This is a matter of what you consider "necessary."

I made this build and this guide to try and achieve the maximum possible xp/hr flat-out.
(It has since developed into a place people can go to enter into the TR build at any level)

While you can certainly live by moving passed reflects packs and picking up globes, that doesn't mean you can do that AND get the best possible xp/hr.

I chose LS on my Skorn because I am trying to min-max really really hard. If your goal is to get above a certain benchmark of xp/hr (say 60m or 70m) I do not believe LS on Skorn is necessary. If you are looking to beat my sustained 87m xp/hr record ... I will bet it is! ;)
Reply Quote

nice guide. the only thing i would have to say is low mp's are fine with low resist and with LAK...this is where i'm at:

Very nice!

I am glad to see that 200AR seems to work out for you :D

Two things:
1. If you face north east when you case Cyclone, the tornadoes will spawn behind you instead of moving up and to the left (as they did for your video) which will make them better at cleaning up monsters you run by.

2. Why WotHF:FoF? It is mathematically worse than Thunderclap at everything except LoH and hit-and-run strats which I didn't see you employing for the most part.

nice. had no clue it mattered where you initiated cyclone. thanks.

as far as hundred fists i think its the damage im at now is why i prefer it. some of the fatties i have to hit more than once with thunderclap...but with fists most i can one hit and move on because of the dot. specially the tremors when they shield...
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

nice. had no clue it mattered where you initiated cyclone. thanks.

as far as hundred fists i think its the damage im at now is why i prefer it. some of the fatties i have to hit more than once with thunderclap...but with fists most i can one hit and move on because of the dot. specially the tremors when they shield...

That is the best reason anyone on these forums has ever given me for using FoF.

+1
Edited by Druin#1518 on 12/7/2012 4:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for answer Druin ! And well i have other question in general

How can search stone of jordan in ah ?
Reply Quote
Gilby

Search SOJ by armor and all types, then select spirit regen, bonus to elites and there you go. You can even break it down by a few monk skills also if you want, such as FOT, sweeping winds, etc.... unfortunately TR isnt one of the options.

You can do the same on a xeph ammy by selecting spirit regen and 30 mf
Reply Quote
Hi Druin, I was thinking about using a +14%sw damage inna radiance. Is it better if I use that and change firestorm/cyclone to inna storm rune?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
12/07/2012 06:16 PMPosted by BabyM
Hi Druin, I was thinking about using a +14%sw damage inna radiance. Is it better if I use that and change firestorm/cyclone to inna storm rune?

Negatory!!!!!

Inner storm has proven to be the lowest possible xp/hr build-archetype I have tested.

I repeat: do not use inner storm!!!!

IF you want to use a 3spir/sec skill, use MoH:Circ instead of MoC:Sub!
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Druin

Negatory!!!!!

Inner storm has proven to be the lowest possible xp/hr build-archetype I have tested.

I repeat: do not use inner storm!!!!

IF you want to use a 3spir/sec skill, use MoH:Circ instead of MoC:Sub!

I back this up 100%. I too thought innerstorm was better at one point but after running numbers it was easy to see that it was not. If your dps is high enough MOH/Circ works great. Im now convinced you need to run SW/Cyclones for the most effecient runs but you will need high cc to accomplish this.

SW/Cyclones and SSS are the two most important peices to this build imo, that is once you have enough spirit regen.
Reply Quote
Wow thanks a lot Druin! I always thought the damage from submission is much better than firestorm, that why I have been using submission & inner storm.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Wow thanks a lot Druin! I always thought the damage from submission is much better than firestorm, that why I have been using submission & inner storm.

No problem. I also thought that Submission would be better than a rune on SW but it just doesn't seem to be the case!
Reply Quote
Seen a few TR guides pop up on other forums that said you dont need a weapon with LS and even said to use a spec without breath of heaven. Im confused. Even on MP 0 with 450 resists and 36k health I have needed both my heal and the LS healing from my Skorn as well. Are these people talking about running TR builds when you way overgear MP0 with like 600 resists and 40K+ HP with 150k unbuffed damage and probably a huge bonus to both pickup radius and health globe healing as well? I just cant see doing even MP0 without a weapon with LS because of all the mortar mobs, being jailed/frozen into either a molten explosion or an arcane cutter, and of course reflect damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]