Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Oh, and another question. For SW cyclone how those AS compare to Crit chance in general. Both will increase your chance of spawning cyclones, but where is the break point? Let's say I am thinking about getting a ring that has both attack speed and crit (all else being equal), which would be better:

- +9% attack speed and 0% crit
- +0% attack speed and 6% crit
- +5% attack speed and 4% crit (or something like this)

Obviously the more of both the better, but let's say that you are on a limited budget and have to make some tradeoffs between the two.

Or even better, what if you are thinking about getting Lacuni's and you can only afford ones with 8% attack speed and 3% crit, would that end up spawning more cyclones when compared with a rare bracer that has 6% crit?

And of course this probably all depends on your baseline numbers...
Edited by Lazar#1776 on 12/15/2012 5:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
Edited by Kaho#1895 on 1/5/2013 2:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Oh, and another question. For SW cyclone how those AS compare to Crit chance in general. Both will increase your chance of spawning cyclones, but where is the break point? Let's say I am thinking about getting a ring that has both attack speed and crit (all else being equal), which would be better:

Obviously the more of both the better, but let's say that you are on a limited budget and have to make some tradeoffs between the two.

Or even better, what if you are thinking about getting Lacuni's and you can only afford ones with 8% attack speed and 3% crit, would that end up spawning more cyclones when compared with a rare bracer that has 6% crit?

OK, should have thought about it a little more before asking a trivial question. I simply plugged in the numbers, multiplied one by the other and that gives me the cyclones per second on average. From there on you can just increase the percentages as you wish and see what gives you a higher average. One thing to keep in mind I guess is that the attack speed scales with weapon speed. So 1% increase is actually an increase of 1%*the base APS of the weapon. On the other hand crit chance is simply additive. Turns out in my case a 1% increase in crit chance is equal to about 3% increase in attack speed, so instead of going for a ring that has 7% attack speed and 4% crit chance it would be much better and maybe cheaper to try and get one with 6% crit and almost 0% attack speed (well, maybe 1-2).
Reply Quote

Depends.

With ideal gear, 6% CC will spawn more tornadoes. If for some reason you have 0 bonus IAS then at 34% both bracers will be nearly similar in tornado frequency.

Attack speed will give you more spirit generation and better "utility" by glueing you to monsters with thunderclap but does not affect tornado average damage. Critical chance will increase tornado average damage. Both AS and CC will increase SW AOE damage. For the most part CC will give you greater real DPS than IAS. As mentioned above, if for some reason you have low bonus IAS then items with mixed IAS and CC may be more valuable.

Welcome back to the forums, Kaho.
Reply Quote
With ideal gear, 6% CC will spawn more tornadoes. If for some reason you have 0 bonus IAS then at 34% both bracers will be nearly similar in tornado frequency.

Attack speed will give you more spirit generation and better "utility" by glueing you to monsters with thunderclap but does not affect tornado average damage. Critical chance will increase tornado average damage. Both AS and CC will increase SW AOE damage. For the most part CC will give you greater real DPS than IAS. As mentioned above, if for some reason you have low bonus IAS then items with mixed IAS and CC may be more valuable.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I think I got it now. It's quite easy to compute and it does depend on the gear that you have, so there's no magic ratio or anything like that :)
Reply Quote
Is it worthwhile to put +Exp gear on your Templar in addition to a HF ring?

I did that with my WD alt, was wondering how much of a difference I'd actually see.

Nope. You will get so little bonus that it is fairly close to negligible.

Example: I have killed a total of 1.2million mobs in my time playing.
With a LOT of gear you could get ~20xp/kill bonus from your templar (remember you only get 20% of the bonus stats that are on your Templar)
20*1.2 = 24million xp which is less than I get in ~20 minutes of play compared to the number of kills over the entire lifetime of my character.

12/14/2012 08:51 AMPosted by Mountains
Is a sword and board viable for this? I sold a board last week that had 10 Crit Chance and some critical chance to Tempest Rush. I dotn remeber the finer details but here was some dex on there too.

As of now, I have not been able to find a single, functional 1h/shield build for TR. (exploiting aside)
When I do, and I promise you I am on the lookout, I will include it as part of this guide!

We should let indigo montoya to do his multi box monks using tempest rush.

I would be an awesome sight for sure.

I am fairly sure he is actually trying to do this. He friends requested me the other day and asked to buy my Xeph ammy so that he could try quad-box TR :D

what, other than inna's should i upgrade next (maybe after lacuni sale?) i'm thinking i should buy a couple things that would benefit both my regular gear set, and my TR build? like gloves and a higher dex vile ward...?

any suggestions??

i'm kind of turned off by inna's to be honest. it's a bit ugly imho.

Okay first off, you are nuts! Inna's is gorgeous on female monks!!!!!!!!1111

Your terrible fashion sense aside (I KID!!), I think Inna's is quite simply the best thing any monk can do at this time. Even if you have no interest in TR, the set bonus opens up the use of spirit on things other than Cyclone and it allows for even minor snap-shot tactics (such as just using Faith in the Light).

If you are adamantly against Inna's, I think that Blackthorn's chest/pants are very good. You can also shoot for a more IAS focused build (Variant C of Part2 of the guide) and get Tal's chest (BiS DPS item).

I will be blunt though, without 4piece Inna's TR simply isn't a good spec. You can do it using SW:Master of Wind but it is just worse.

Sorry for my less-than-helpful response :(

Nice video and explanations. I pretty much just need to change my passives and mantra and I'm there (6% Life steal) but I may just go on a flier and get a ridiculous LoK Skorn for fun too.

Thanks again.

You are most welcome. Thank you for the support!!

Super high DPS LoK Skorns might actually be near-BiS for this build once you get to a certain level of gear :D

12/15/2012 05:47 AMPosted by Lazar
One thing that is a bit unfortunate is that those 3 areas in act III are so much better in terms of mob density that nothing else comes even remotely close. I would gladly give up 5-10 even a bit more exp/hour if I could go farm act II for change. However, any route that I've tried ends up giving me less than half the exp/hour. Has anyone found a route in act II that maybe doesn't give you over 60-70 mil. exp/hour, but at least gives you ~50 or even a bit less? I do realize that in act II you have to do mp1 at least, but still...

Oh lord do I hear that my friend.

I have seen very little real data on non-act3 runs but the fact that you HAVE to run them on MP1 really really really hurts the TR build.

The only consolation I can offer is the following:
Once you do get to plvl100 and no longer have to worry about XP, it is very likely (still collecting data) that Act2 Vault of the Assassins is the single highest loot/hr run possible in the game! :D

My experience indicates that, when talking about TR builds only, Crit Chance is better 100% of the time.

The knockback effect on TR makes attack speed slightly less valuable than it would be otherwise and SW:Cyclone "super-scales" with Crit Chance and simply scales with Attack speed.

(As Kaho said, Crit chance increases the spawn rate AND the damage of Cyclones while Attack speed only increases the spawn rate.)

Furthermore you have to make up for Attack Speed with additional Spirit/sec while you don't have to sacrifice anything for Crit Chance.

That being said, Kaho's points do hold true in that Attack Speed adds a lot of utility that Crit Chance does not and it is VERY hard to calculate that utility's value mathematically.

Depends.

Hello Kaho, thanks for your inspiration! <3
Edited by Druin#1518 on 12/15/2012 12:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Druin
Once you do get to plvl100 and no longer have to worry about XP, it is very likely (still collecting data) that Act2 Vault of the Assassins is the single highest loot/hr run possible in the game! :D

Can't wait for that :) I suppose you'll put it in another thread, so I should be on the look out.

Before I stumbled upon your thread I didn't even visit the forums regularly (the top topics are always about how itemization sucks, or legendaries are terrible, etc., etc.), but now I keep on refreshing this thread and I don't know what it is, but I somehow expect to find more and more monk insights every time :) I suppose that's why I end up veering off topic too often (should be careful about that).
Reply Quote

Can't wait for that :) I suppose you'll put it in another thread, so I should be on the look out.

Before I stumbled upon your thread I didn't even visit the forums regularly (the top topics are always about how itemization sucks, or legendaries are terrible, etc., etc.), but now I keep on refreshing this thread and I don't know what it is, but I somehow expect to find more and more monk insights every time :) I suppose that's why I end up veering off topic too often (should be careful about that).

Veer away my friend! I am always happy to talk about Diablo III stuff! :D
Reply Quote
View profile
sorry Druin, i tried another speed-farming build last night and found it to be more efficient, for me personally, due to my not investing in the higher end TR gear.

i bought cheapie spirit regen stuff for your build, and it was fun as all hell, but i ended up with low hp, low dps and only barely enough spirit regen to make it work. i found i was having to pass through mobs multiple times and am embarrassed to admit i died a couple times too.

last night i tried dual wield, 24% movement speed through boots and lacuni, 10% fleet footed, and used WOTHF blazing fists and thunderclap together with combination strike. i have to say, this was actually faster for me and allowed me to stay strong by using my regular gear set - with bracers swapped to lacuna. jumping into a mob, building WOTHF 3 stack, hitting blinding light and then snapshotting SW while using combination strike is quite frankly, insane. i have high enough AS and movement speed to either make it to the next mob before SW ends, or build back enough spirit to easily refresh SW, or even pump the whole thing over again. was also able to use overawe (might try submission next time) instead of circular breathing like i was for the TR, thus making it all even faster.

i appreciate the TR can be waaaaay faster with the right gear, but i just don't have the gear. this thread and others has boosted the price of soj's and xephs astronomically!

sorry Druin, but i'm going to stick to my normal gear set and go this way. all the best to those using the TR, you will be gaining xp faster than me. kudos to those who can do it well! it was fun while it lasted and i may come back some day.

on a side note, my 6cc lacuni is still for sale, if anyone's interested. over on the trade forum.

cheers!
Reply Quote
I'm always sending people here. Keep this !@#$ at the top. Why is it not stickied anyways?
Reply Quote
View profile
don't make me have to lift it back up to the top again. i pulled a muscle last time.
Reply Quote
If someone could record an audio of this wall of text I'd appreciate it.

Ty lads :)
Reply Quote
View profile
google a text to speech site. then copy and paste and enjoy the smooth voice of Stephen Hawking reading it to you.
Reply Quote
lol you guys :D
Reply Quote
I'll lift :)

And add something more to discussion relevant to TR: What's up with the tiny radius of legendary "ping" and exp-share (multiplayer only)?

My brother and I run TR together occasionally (no, it's definitely not more efficient) and, moving so fast, it's way, way too easy to get out of range. While out of range, you don't get legendary drop notification, and exp = 0. About a month ago I ran tests in Keep 2 that confirmed radius was not far beyond edge of what I can see on screen.

Would this affect cyclones killing stuff way off screen in single player if you move too fast?

Anyone else experience or test this tiny radius?
Reply Quote
I'll lift :)

And add something more to discussion relevant to TR: What's up with the tiny radius of legendary "ping" and exp-share (multiplayer only)?

My brother and I run TR together occasionally (no, it's definitely not more efficient) and, moving so fast, it's way, way too easy to get out of range. While out of range, you don't get legendary drop notification, and exp = 0. About a month ago I ran tests in Keep 2 that confirmed radius was not far beyond edge of what I can see on screen.

Would this affect cyclones killing stuff way off screen in single player if you move too fast?

Anyone else experience or test this tiny radius?

It reallllllllllly sucks to be honest :(

I am playing around with all kinds of builds that drop Cyclone even though my gear is set up specifically FOR cyclone because I miss so many items due to nadoes killing things off screen.

I shudder to think about the number of Legendaries I missed on my grind to 100...

Ideally, I would like to see legendary pings go off from anywhere and if it's off your mini-map to have a small mini-ping at the edge of the screen until you pick it up.

There is just no way that anyone would be annoyed by the fact that a legendary is pinging their mini-map :P
Reply Quote
Hi Druin, just want to say thank you for the wonderful guild! It has help me improve my EXP runs significantly.

Anyw, wish to ask wether should I replace my Xeph Ammy or will e CD on it cover the low CC on the ammy?

Thanks and Merry christmas in advance.
Reply Quote
It's not hard to make sure you don't skip legendaries. Just replace cyclone with another rune and change submission to overawe.
Reply Quote
Druin,

I've been trying to acquire a SW 10% or more Spirit Regen Inna's radiance to replace mine...my goal was to get my SW bonus dam up over 20% (using an SoJ bonus and Inna's) while maintaining my Inna's SR (really tricky b/c they are so rare and expensive...got sniped out of one earlier today)...

Anyways my question is, would getting my SW bonus dam up to 20% make up for me not running MoC...I find myself doing really well with the SW running MoH/CB as I never run out of SR with it on, but I do miss the extra dam from MoC...choices choices!
Reply Quote
Hi Druin, just want to say thank you for the wonderful guild! It has help me improve my EXP runs significantly.

Anyw, wish to ask wether should I replace my Xeph Ammy or will e CD on it cover the low CC on the ammy?

Thanks and Merry christmas in advance.

Oooooh! Another Plvl100 TR monk!

First off, thanks for the support!! :D

Second, based on what you said, I am going to guess that you just recently hit 100 so GRATS!!!!!

Third, if you still want to TR for loot now that you can't get any XP, I am currently working on the highest possible elites/hr and rares/hr run and build that I can! :D

Seaboots' addition of Dashing Strike: Way of the Falling Star is a big help when it comes to moving from elite to elite!

As for your ammy, that is a FANTASTIC Xeph and I don't think you will have any need to change it unless you hit it big and can get your hands on a 10% crit + dex +2spir/sec one :D

Note: you currently have 43% chance to crit with TR which is enough to make Cyclone > Firestorm. Any additional crit will just make this more true.

12/16/2012 08:51 AMPosted by Zero
It's not hard to make sure you don't skip legendaries. Just replace cyclone with another rune and change submission to overawe.

This does work, but it means you are giving up kill-speed which might mean you actually get LESS legendaries per hour :(

As of right now, FoT:TC + SW:Cyclone is far too good when it comes to killing elites and even though I can perma TR and even gain up to 5 spir/sec while doing so, I still end up getting less elites/hr and rares/hr when I switch away from FoT:TC + SW:Cyc.

tl;dr - other skills need buffs before not using Cyclone is a real option for us monks I think.

Druin,

I've been trying to acquire a SW 10% or more Spirit Regen Inna's radiance to replace mine...my goal was to get my SW bonus dam up over 20% (using an SoJ bonus and Inna's) while maintaining my Inna's SR (really tricky b/c they are so rare and expensive...got sniped out of one earlier today)...

Anyways my question is, would getting my SW bonus dam up to 20% make up for me not running MoC...I find myself doing really well with the SW running MoH/CB as I never run out of SR with it on, but I do miss the extra dam from MoC...choices choices!

I searched for a 2.3+ spir/sec + 10%+ SW dmg Inna's Radiance for soooooooooo long!

Good luck with your quest sir! :D

20% SW bonus would almost certainly make up for the MoC:Overawe bonus (when not activated) and it would have the additional benefit of effecting Cyclones when they are off the screen.

Furthermore, because you would have a SW damage SoJ, you wouldn't be tied to using Cyclone and you could go for a Firestorm build if you wanted!

This is a very cool idea and could further be backed up if you somehow managed to nail down a high CC CHD SW damage Mara's. (Note: a really well rolled Mara's does out DPS a really well rolled rare as long as you don't want IAS on either)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]