Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

I searched for a 2.3+ spir/sec + 10%+ SW dmg Inna's Radiance for soooooooooo long!

Good luck with your quest sir! :D

I too have looked for the mystical 10/2 inna's radiance

Many have spoken of it's existence, few have actually seen one. I periodically check for one still. If you find one for less than 100M buy it instantly!
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/16/2012 12:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

I searched for a 2.3+ spir/sec + 10%+ SW dmg Inna's Radiance for soooooooooo long!

Good luck with your quest sir! :D

20% SW bonus would almost certainly make up for the MoC:Overawe bonus (when not activated) and it would have the additional benefit of effecting Cyclones when they are off the screen.

Furthermore, because you would have a SW damage SoJ, you wouldn't be tied to using Cyclone and you could go for a Firestorm build if you wanted!

This is a very cool idea and could further be backed up if you somehow managed to nail down a high CC CHD SW damage Mara's. (Note: a really well rolled Mara's does out DPS a really well rolled rare as long as you don't want IAS on either)

Would you believe that I let one get away...yeah I let 160 DEX 100 VIT 1.80 ish Spirit Regen 14% SW bonus damage...I forgot what time of the day the auction ended and I got outbid (I had a 50M bid on it)

Anyways, I just remembered that Mara's can roll SW bonus damage so I snagged one (currently in my profile when it updates)...I actually lost about 5K paper DPS but the SW bonus damage now is at 20...still not giving up on that SW bonus damage Inna's Raidance with SR...I keep checking daily until i find one and I overpay if I ever see one b/c I really wanna break the 30% SW bonus damage mark to really wreck havoc when TR:)
Reply Quote
Hi Druin,

Just nice to catch this thread of yours. Just got to lvl 60 yesterday and planning on playing a budget TR. Really appreciate some advice here what to upgrade on my items...shd I replace the Cain's set and get a SoJ and Hellfire ring or remain the set. Btw, am still in Hell mode Act 2 :) going for the plvl now...

My profile is up to date. Also do need some advice on the skill part, am I using the correct skill...

Appreciate a lot, thx
Reply Quote
Hi Druin and all the expert TRer here,

I have mostly the gear druin recomended in his guide, but somehow I'm only getting 60mil+ an hour exp. Any advice?

Any advice will be appreciated..
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 06:51 PMPosted by KarEl
expert TRer here
- Not me!

But I am happy to offer at least one of my own findings...

Those cyclones are great at killing things even when you can't see them - I found early on that I just wasn't giving them a chance to do their job, lingering much too long running another, and sometimes a third, circle in the mobs with my Monk rather than scooting on.

If it is a typical mob density then one cyclone is enough to clean up what it can with your Monk already starting on the next mob.

Just keep moving forward.

For those really high density mobs then I would still circle twice and sometimes three times but it seems to me now that my second circle is perhaps over kill since I would already have a cyclone or two already out and a third circle is extremely inefficient.

Run away from your cyclones.

>80M XP in an hours worth of repeated TR runs was possible for me to achieve once I got a bit more confidence in my cyclones.

Hope this helps!

edit: My profile has other gear on atm so wanted to let you know my paper dps with TR gear equipped is 125K - 150K buffed from foresight - so you have the gear to make it work (IMHO) might just need to try to ignore the stragglers and runaway from your cyclones a bit more...
Edited by FatherFish#1169 on 12/17/2012 5:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just wanna leave this comment/observation...

I tried using bladestorm and firestorm runes on SW for extended TR farming runs...and I'm loving firestorm now that I have that 20% plus SW dam bonus on my amulet/ring...since my CC chance isn't great right now (36%) I feel that cyclone isn't good of a choice as firestorm...thanks for the suggestion to try out firestorm rune on SW.
Reply Quote
Maybe a noob question, but why not use SW/inner storm rune? You get 3 spirit regen while it's up and the other passive multipliers. Then you also can bypass a low 1.x regen stone of Jordan TR ring for a LOT more damage ring or a leoric's? I just don't get a lot of cyclones with a Skorn, even with a big pack, 50% IAS and 41% CC/44% w/TR SoJ.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hi Druin,

Just nice to catch this thread of yours. Just got to lvl 60 yesterday and planning on playing a budget TR. Really appreciate some advice here what to upgrade on my items...shd I replace the Cain's set and get a SoJ and Hellfire ring or remain the set. Btw, am still in Hell mode Act 2 :) going for the plvl now...

My profile is up to date. Also do need some advice on the skill part, am I using the correct skill...

Appreciate a lot, thx

Hello LuvFoxy,

You will need to get rid of the Cain's set if you want to TR because you will need to pick up 4 pieces of Inna's armor.

Based on what you are asking, it seems like you are pretty new to the monk class and, though I have no intention of telling you how to have fun playing this game, I would highly recommend you spend some time at level 60 exploring the class and the different skills before you dedicate yourself to this, or any other build.

My Tempest Rush guide is mainly for people who understand how all the different Monk skills work and want to use them in the most efficient way.

While someone can theoretically explain to you how everything works, I think you will have a much better gaming experience if you try it all out yourself!

That being said, if you have specific questions, such as "how does ___ skill work?" I will be more than happy to answer them!

Hi Druin and all the expert TRer here,

I have mostly the gear druin recomended in his guide, but somehow I'm only getting 60mil+ an hour exp. Any advice?

Any advice will be appreciated..

Hello KarEl,

FatherFish pretty much nailed it on this one.

Your gear is absolutely good enough to hit the 80m xp/hr benchmark which means you just have to tidy up your mechanics a bit to get there!

FF is 100% correct about Cyclones being hard to "believe" in that you will spawn one or two but it will seem impossible that those little guys could ever kill off the remaining mobs so you stick around and do it yourself when, in reality, had you just rushed off they would have done the job for you.

This is the hardest part of the Cyclone TR build and something that really only comes with time and practice.

Some other things to consider:
1. Do you pick up loot? If you are picking up more than the odd rare (ALWAYS pick up jewelry) and legendaries, then I can bet you money you are losing xp/hr to do so.

2. Do you take off-shoot paths in the various zones? This can be a leading cause of lower xp/hr for TR monks. If you have a habit of wanting to "clear" zones, you will kill your clear-speed without all that much gain in xp!

Just wanna leave this comment/observation...

I tried using bladestorm and firestorm runes on SW for extended TR farming runs...and I'm loving firestorm now that I have that 20% plus SW dam bonus on my amulet/ring...since my CC chance isn't great right now (36%) I feel that cyclone isn't good of a choice as firestorm...thanks for the suggestion to try out firestorm rune on SW.

Firestorm is a pretty good rune for people without the needed crit chance for Cyclone.

It is important to note that Firestorm >>> Bladestorm for TR builds.
Reasoning:

Bladestorm increases the damage of SW by 33% (60/45).
Firestorm increases the "range" of SW by 40% (14/10).

Because you are constantly moving, range = damage and 40 > 33.

Furthermore, Firestorm will increase the damage done to mobs that would normally take 0 damage from Bladestorm and, if they are low HP mobs, that will lead to a kill that would never have happened otherwise.

tl;dr - Firestorm > Bladestorm because Firestorm adds to damage spread while Bladestorm simply adds to damage.

Maybe a noob question, but why not use SW/inner storm rune? You get 3 spirit regen while it's up and the other passive multipliers. Then you also can bypass a low 1.x regen stone of Jordan TR ring for a LOT more damage ring or a leoric's? I just don't get a lot of cyclones with a Skorn, even with a big pack, 50% IAS and 41% CC/44% w/TR SoJ.

Not a noob question at all!

If you only have enough spirit regen from items to use SW:Cyclone + MoH:Circ OR SW:Inner Storm + MoC:Submission, Inner Storm is the right call if your Crit Chance with TR is ~<42%.

That being said, dropping Cyclone for Inner Storm when you have >42% TR crit will basically never be worth it.

Cyclone may not seem like it is doing much, but I assure you that it is. Empirical testing has shown that you simply get higher xp/hr using Cyclone at high CHC than any other possible rune variation. This has been confirmed by many more people than just myself.

Looking at your gear, you are right at the cusp of the Cyclone effect cut-off (42% TR crit) so it is somewhat of a toss-up.

The alternative build is to switch to a SW damage SoJ and go Inner Storm + MoC:Submission.

Using Inner Storm + MoH:Circ will make your xp/hr drop no matter what additional gear you can equip.

I also did the math for Leoric's somewhere else in this thread, but it really doesn't give THAT much more xp (~12%).

You would also be greatly benefited by switching your gloves to Crit + Critdmg instead of Attack Speed.

Dropping that 6% IAS would be the same as getting an additional 0.6 spir/sec on your SoJ!
Edited by Druin#1518 on 12/17/2012 11:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
mods.

sticky this.

jesus
Reply Quote
Thanks for the response re: Inner storm.

Regarding the radius, the area for Firestorm is nearly DOUBLE that of standard, even though the radius is only 4 (40%) yards more:
3.14 * 10^2 = 314
3.14 * 14^2 = 615

96% greater area, does this make it worth the switch?

Also, how does the sweeping wind proc? I've noticed faster procs after hitting a frenzy shrine. Are there breakpoints similar to CM Wiz and WW Barbs?

Also, BIG kudos for the LoK spec Skorn. WAY more health regen in MP 0-3. I switched to that spec over LifeSteal on all of my XP farm builds (Archon Wiz, Rend Barb, Zombie Bears WD and this Monk of Course). DHs have perma 15% LifeSteal if you have 60 Disc, so not needed there, even if available.
Edited by Frigg#1154 on 12/17/2012 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
mods.

sticky this.

jesus

Hit highly rated!
<elation>

I am updating the format of the whole thread so that it will stand up much better in the long-term as a "perma-guide" instead of a "right now guide."

Maybe that will help with the bid for sticky :D
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Thanks for the response re: Inner storm.

Regarding the radius, the area for Firestorm is nearly DOUBLE that of standard, even though the radius is only 4 (40%) yards more:
3.14 * 10^2 = 314
3.14 * 14^2 = 615

96% greater area, does this make it worth the switch?

YES! I knew, in my head, that there was some reason increasing the radius of something is WAY better than it seems but unfortunately, math wasn't having it for me today!

That is EXACTLY the reason that Firestorm is so much better than Bladestorm.

The increased Area correctly encapsulates the benefit of killing monsters that would not otherwise take damage from Bladestorm.

The only caveat is that Increased Area only equates to Increased Damage if you are moving all the time ................................................ like with Tempest Rush!

+100 for you good sir, thanks! :D

Example for the 96% increase in total damage done while moving, not just a 40% increase.

If you move passed a monster that is <10yards away with SW(no rune), that monster will take "x" damage.
If you use Bladestorm, that monster will now take 1.33*x damage because you do 33% more damage.
If you use Firestorm, that monster will now take 1.4*x damage because it will be in the range of SW for an additional 40% time and SW does it's damage continuously (ie: no break-points).

In this case, Firestorm is better than Bladestorm but only barely.

However, if you move passed a monster that is >10 yards away and <14 yards away with SW(no rune), that monster will take 0 damage.
If you use Bladestorm, that monster will now take 0 damage.
If you use Firestorm, that monster will now take "y" damage.

This means that Firestorm out DPS's Bladestorm IN bladestorm's radius AND does damage to mobs outside of Bladestorm's radius for a total increased SW damage of > 40% (turns out to be 96%).

Also, how does the sweeping wind proc? I've noticed faster procs after hitting a frenzy shrine. Are there breakpoints similar to CM Wiz and WW Barbs?

It does it's damage "continuously." Because it is a program, that is technically not possible and I am sure it is sampling many times a second. I will try recording it at 120FPS at some point as see if I can detect frames where the monsters HP bar doesn't change.

However, it will always display a "damage" number every 0.5 seconds. This number is simply the combine damage it has done in the last 0.5 seconds and NOT a "tick" or large chunk of damage at once.

Also, BIG kudos for the LoK spec Skorn. WAY more health regen in MP 0-3. I switched to that spec over LifeSteal on all of my XP farm builds (Archon Wiz, Rend Barb, Zombie Bears WD and this Monk of Course). DHs have perma 15% LifeSteal if you have 60 Disc, so not needed there.

Credit for the LoK Skorn thing goes to the numerous people in this thread who yelled at me for suggesting the NEED for LS on your Skorn.

LS is still BiS because it's simply better in every way to LoK, however I have been VERY conclusively proven wrong regarding its need.

LoK Skorns are pretty wonderful for low MP.

Last night I tried a 400dex 200vit Skorn vs a similar DPS 2000LoK Skorn and there was no contest. The LoK just makes the whole thing SO much easier. When you are working without Serenity, having ZERO sustain is just brutal! :D
Edited by Druin#1518 on 12/17/2012 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
^^^Answered above ^^^
Edited by Frigg#1154 on 12/17/2012 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
Gotta sell my items.. :O Are my boots okay though or what should I get?
Edited by Sung#1420 on 12/17/2012 1:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
12/17/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Sung
Gotta sell my items.. :O Are my boots okay though or what should I get?

Those boots are technically usable. However, because they do not have move-speed on them, you will have to get movespeed somewhere else (looking at you Lacuani's) and that can hurt your overall DPS.

See the boots section of the Mid-tier gear guide! :D
Here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#4
Edited by Druin#1518 on 12/17/2012 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
STICKY this thread.... it is the go to thread
Reply Quote
Amazing post. I tried this out shortly after scrapz helped me gear out my monk.. thnx again btw.

I dont have an inna's belt but did get a free staff for the 4pc. 1400 dmg but it feels like a pos. Anyways I was able to get 11spirit/sec (inner fire/chant/guardian/MoH:CB) and couldnt figure out why I wasnt able to keep TR up. After reading this I see I need to replace several pieces of gear to lose the ASI and gain spirit/sec. Also my HF is a crap roll so i lose alot of CC using it. Even with my gimped attempt at TR it was still amazingly fun. I have been trying to win some bids on the required gear but in the last 5 mins they always jump out of what im trying to spend. I will probably move towards the mid range gear as 1 billion gold for recommended stuff is not doable. Again, amazingly informative post.

Anyone wanting to more or less carry a WD and me on MP10 uber runs we'll provide the portals. We have 6 currently, workin on more.
Reply Quote

I am updating the format of the whole thread so that it will stand up much better in the long-term as a "perma-guide" instead of a "right now guide."

Maybe that will help with the bid for sticky :D

bliz should hire you
Reply Quote
nearly 12500 views. that is awesome. moving this to the top again for everyone I keep sending here :)
Reply Quote
[quote]Hi Druin,

Appreciate a lot, thx

Hello LuvFoxy,

You will need to get rid of the Cain's set if you want to TR because you will need to pick up 4 pieces of Inna's armor.

Based on what you are asking, it seems like you are pretty new to the monk class and, though I have no intention of telling you how to have fun playing this game, I would highly recommend you spend some time at level 60 exploring the class and the different skills before you dedicate yourself to this, or any other build.

My Tempest Rush guide is mainly for people who understand how all the different Monk skills work and want to use them in the most efficient way.

While someone can theoretically explain to you how everything works, I think you will have a much better gaming experience if you try it all out yourself!

That being said, if you have specific questions, such as "how does ___ skill work?" I will be more than happy to answer them!

Hey Druin,

Thanks for the tips, yes you are right, am damn new for a monk and will try to explore those skills while am still in hell mode...cheers :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]