Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Hi, great thread. Got me itching to starting a monk.

My dps is abit low and Im having a difficult time clearing inferno. Where do you suggest i make upgrades for this build?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Disconnects on my part is kinda killing this build, tried it only a few times but disconnected every single time. :/
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey TR'ers! Just letting you know that until this thread receives a post-limit-expansion, I will only be posting in it once a day to answer questions in bulk.

Alternatively, you can email me at DruinTheHappyMonk@gmail.com if you would like a more timely response or just want to google-chat! :D

Also, I apologize to anyone who has friends requested me in the last couple days as I have been unable to get any D3 play-time! I am not ignoring you ... just hold up! :D

Okay, without further adieu, here are today's responses!

Excellent post!

My only question. How often do I need to pop Blinding Flash and rebuff Forsight? Guess Im a little confused at how long BF lasts, same with Forsight.

Build is working great. My profile probably isnt updated, but Im sitting on 40%crit 470 dmg and around 132K unbffd, just not procing as many tornadoes as I'd like.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

1. The "damage buffs" Faith in the Light, Foresight and Blazing Wrath are all used at the beginning of the run to buff the damage of your sweeping winds.

SW "locks" or "snapshots" the increased damage you have from buffs active when you cast it. It then keeps these damage buffs for its entire duration (as long as you keep the SW buff active on your character) which you can extend infinitely by using 4 pieces of Inna's and hitting the SW button over and over before it expires.

In this way, TR monks are able to get a "buffed" SW without having to re-apply the buffs every fight.

It should be noted that these buffs, if not re-activated will NOT be there to increase your TR damage and your MoC:Submission damage and so refreshing them isn't a terrible idea.

2. Your monk looks great! You have plenty of crit chance for Cyclone to do its thing.

The "Cyclones don't proc enough" problem is either a playstyle issue (you need to aim your monk better to get more hits of TR in!) or, MUCH more likely, a perception issue. Many people tell me that Firestorm is CLEARLY better than Cyclone when, in reality, you get better xp/hr with Cyclone.

It may FEEL like you aren't spawning enough Cyclones, but if you ran the numbers I will bet money that you would be surprised to find just how much work those few and proud little blue tornadoes are doing! :D

12/18/2012 02:22 PMPosted by MrMojoRisin
Druin! you're on the kids plan, eh? congratulations! and yes, it will certainly cut into your play time.. maybe not when they're babies, but when they're a bit older. i have 4. aged 1-5. best thing i ever did with my life.

Yup! Known I wanted to be a father for the majority of my life. I might not be "ready" in that you never can be but oh man am I ready! :D

even though i've stopped TR'ing, i still come back and read this thread all the time. i'd TR if i could, but am too focussed on gearing myself towards my goal to deviate too far from my path. i finally sold the lacuni i found and made 102million after AH tax. most gold i've ever had by a factor of about 5. was almost going to buy TR stuff.... then decided to upgrade my EF and look for more upgrades. still have 40 million and fighting with myself as to whether to gear up for TR with the rest...

i'm making about 40 - 45mil xp per hour with my current set-up without too much experience with it learning the best pathing etc... how fast did you reach para 100 after optimizing your runs? were you a bit sad once you hit 100? that you had reached an end? do you have a totally different gear set for higher MP's and Ubers?

I appreciate that you like my thread enough to keep coming back! :D

Also, grats on the sale! that is a good chunk of gold!

I feel like your decision is exactly the kind that shouldn't be made by anyone else. If you are having fun with your current gear path and spec-choice, then there is seriously NO reason to change. Having fun is what this game is all about and TR is only one of many ways to do that.

I reached paragon100 much faster than most people and it still took a long long time. I could actually calculate it because I recorded everything but it would take a while.

Honestly, planning for that kind of thing just isn't worth it. I was actively enjoying my xp-route as it was very relaxing and that is what I want out of D3 when I get home from a long day at the office.

It did make me a little sad to hit lvl100 because I was truly enjoying the xp/hr optimization process and I wasn't really done when I hit 100. I had just started using SSS:FO and I was still trying to process some new concepts. I now loose SO much loot/hr when I play on my low plvl monk that it's really hard to justify spending time on her outside of doing the testing that this thread requires.

I wish they would let me calc xp/hr even if I don't "gain" anything on my main monk ... I would do so much more testing! :D

I have a different gear setup for MP10, yes. TR simply sucks for high MP. I can do it with my gear ... but it sucks.

If you do want to switch to TR, I have been able to make a 65m+ xp/hr suite for <25m gold. With 100m gold I imagine 70m+ consistent xp/hr would be pretty easy.

I would be more than happy to go over what items make sense and what items don't if this is something you want to look into!

@Raahl

Thank you for trying to explain the "post less until you can post more" strategy and thank you for your support of my thread! :D

That being said, PLEASE keep it positive. I have been able to somehow, magically, keep this thread almost 100% positive so far and I REALLY want to keep that track-record in tact for the next 400 posts.

If someone says something you don't like, you can always friends request them in game and try and talk it out!

<3

12/18/2012 05:57 PMPosted by BigTuna
can someone explain to me why I run out of spirit when channelling, it costs 10 sps and I generate just over 10 sps?

Yup! You have 7% IAS on your gloves and 9% IAS on your pants with a 1.00 APS wep.

This means you have 16% increased attack speed or a total APS of 1.16.

Tempest Rush costs 10 spirit per second multiplied by your APS. This is 10 * 1.16 = 11.6 spirit/sec.

With 10 spir/sec generated you will lose 1.16 spirit every second.

Furthermore, TR is buggy and actually costs between 1.5 and 0.5 MORE spirit/sec than it should (depending on factors I can't lock down). This causes you to lose spirit even when you have dead even 10spir/sec gain and 10spir/sec cost.

12/18/2012 08:22 PMPosted by odoacer
durin i will give you first shot at ammy if i decide to get rid of it ty for guide

<drooooool>

12/18/2012 10:12 PMPosted by Seaboots
durin i will give you first shot at ammy if i decide to get rid of it ty for guide

I will be bidding hard against Druin for that amulet holy sh*t

DIE IN A FIRE!... errr ... happy bidding? ;)

Hi, great thread. Got me itching to starting a monk.

My dps is abit low and Im having a difficult time clearing inferno. Where do you suggest i make upgrades for this build?

Thanks!

Thanks for the support!

Your item build looks fine for MP0. I think you would be greatly benefited by reading my guide and sticking to the skill builds found there. The reason I say that is I see you are using a FoT:TC / DS:Way of the Falling Star build and, while that may be very good for Seaboots, it is likely LESS effective for you due to your DPS and CHC.

Also, you have a bit to low Critical Hit chance because your gloves have 2% less than max, you bracer has 1% less and your ring has none.

If you want to stick with the Cyclone/Submission build (which you can do because you have a crit xeph and TR crit SoJ) you need to get a ~4% crit Hellfire and 10% gloves ~6% which will get you to the 45% chance to crit with TR range.

This will proc enough Cyclones to make Cyclone the best possible rune to use and you should see some good xp/hr numbers.

It is generally a good idea to ignore anything you see on my monk profile if you want to get xp/hr because I no longer can so I am 100% focused on loot/hr and it takes different stuff! :D

12/19/2012 04:11 AMPosted by Aspirine
Disconnects on my part is kinda killing this build, tried it only a few times but disconnected every single time. :/

What kind of disconnects? I have never heard of or experienced a disconnect problem that had any relation to Tempest Rush.

Can you elaborate? :D
Reply Quote
TR disconnects seem to happen on two distinct occasions for me:

1 - Zig zagging like a lunatic and eventually you desync.

2 - Having vertical sync on in your video options. Since I have turned this off I experience about 99% less random TR disconnects.
Reply Quote
Hey folks - amazing build. I get a little motion sick playing it, but I've never seen anything that matches it for speed.

I have a question, though. I have a decent SoJ (1.6 spirit, 12 Sweeping Wind) and a bad Xeph (basically just 2.15 spirit + defense). So I've been using a DPS amulet, and I need to use skills to get my spirit regen up to sustainability.

Am I better off using Sweeping Wind Inner Storm + Mantra of Conviction Submission/Overawe -OR- should I use Sweeping Wind Cyclone + Mantra of Healing Circular Breathing?

I've done some runs, but it's hard for me to tell which is better since there's a lot of variance from run to run. Hoping an experienced TR monk could please help me out.
Reply Quote
@BigTuna
Make sure you're not dragging your cursor directly over your character for too long while you're running, as that will recast TR and cost you an awful lot of spirit.
Edited by Fiveoh#1853 on 12/19/2012 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Personally, I haven't been able to get rid of Circular Breathing yet. I can't seem to find a Xeph amulet that allows me high enough CC and the build just feels slower and chunkier if that makes sense. I feel like an 8+ Xeph, along with upgrading my Inna's helm to a 2+ spi/s will allow me the switch to Submission. Still kicking myself for selling a 9cc Xeph amulet I flipped for profit last week =X

So yeah, I would say definitely stick with Circular Breathing until you can luck into a strong Xeph. I am pulling around 55-60 mil/hr exp. with my current setup but feel like I am more on the lower end of what I could be achieving.

Druin, what do you think my most efficient next upgrade would be? I am keeping my eyes peeled for a good Xeph but outside of that I know my DPS could use a bit of a boost. I feel like I should be one-passing almost all mobs at this point but often have to do multiple sweeps still. Anything stand out that you think I could make the best bang-for-my-buck upgrade? Brilliant guide, btw. I tried out the TR build a couple patches ago but failed and your build is essentially exactly how I 'envisioned' things working but couldn't implement successfully. Much thx!
Reply Quote
Thanks Druin for a great guide. I've been leveling faster, and making more gold due to faster kill rate to boot.

I've been busily improving my gear as I can (couple big lucky sales have helped that a lot, as well as a few unexpected bargains--my thanks and apologies to whoever put my Xeph on buyout for 500k), and I think I'm almost where I want to be. I have my AR up to 444 without OWE (including AR Inna's pants that I don't think show on my profile yet), and was hoping to bump that to ~500 by getting an AR Inna's chest. I'm currently getting something like 60M xp / hr which seems a bit low, but is far better than I was getting before, so I can't really complain.

With that said, any thoughts on where to go from here? With this gear level, is it likely my technique that's keeping me "down" at 60M xp / hour? Any thoughts on additional purchases I should be considering? One obvious candidate is my Skorn, which has no sustain. On average I'd say I die once every two or three runs, but even when I don't I do waste some time running from RD packs when SSS is on cooldown. The challenge there is loss of DPS--looking at the AH now, I could spend 150M to get a LS Skorn and lose 10k dps, or 40M to get a LoK Skorn and lose ~2k dps--better options either don't exist or are fully out of my price range, honestly neither of those options feels great.

Thanks for any suggestions, and thanks for all the hard work put into this!
Reply Quote
@ Druin -

What did you pay for the skorn?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
TR disconnects seem to happen on two distinct occasions for me:

1 - Zig zagging like a lunatic and eventually you desync.

2 - Having vertical sync on in your video options. Since I have turned this off I experience about 99% less random TR disconnects.

Interesting. I do not believe I have EVER been hard-DC'ed from D3 for any reason including TR. I would guess this is a computer issue and not a game issue.

Hey folks - amazing build. I get a little motion sick playing it, but I've never seen anything that matches it for speed.

I have a question, though. I have a decent SoJ (1.6 spirit, 12 Sweeping Wind) and a bad Xeph (basically just 2.15 spirit + defense). So I've been using a DPS amulet, and I need to use skills to get my spirit regen up to sustainability.

Am I better off using Sweeping Wind Inner Storm + Mantra of Conviction Submission/Overawe -OR- should I use Sweeping Wind Cyclone + Mantra of Healing Circular Breathing?

I've done some runs, but it's hard for me to tell which is better since there's a lot of variance from run to run. Hoping an experienced TR monk could please help me out.

Hello Lebensform,

I am really glad you like the guide! :D

There is no problem at all using a DPS ammy instead of a Xeph as long as you make sure to use one of the other spirit gen skills (which you are doing so go you!)

Generally, Cyclone + MoH:Circ is better if you have >42% chance to crit with TR.
You have 43.5% chance to crit with TR which means Cyclone + MoH:Circ is almost certainly better.

It is VERY likely that Cyclone + MoH:Circ will FEEL worse. This is because Cyclone does a LOT of its work off-screen and thus it is hard to tell how effective the rune is. If you record xp/hr numbers for an hour with one spec and xp/hr numbers with the other spec, you should be able to see a somewhat significant difference in xp/hr between them!

Best of luck, you are definitely on the right path.

12/19/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Winthrop
Druin, what do you think my most efficient next upgrade would be? I am keeping my eyes peeled for a good Xeph but outside of that I know my DPS could use a bit of a boost. I feel like I should be one-passing almost all mobs at this point but often have to do multiple sweeps still. Anything stand out that you think I could make the best bang-for-my-buck upgrade? Brilliant guide, btw. I tried out the TR build a couple patches ago but failed and your build is essentially exactly how I 'envisioned' things working but couldn't implement successfully. Much thx!

Thanks for the support!

Your monk looks great, I am not at all good at recommending upgrades because it really comes down to what will make you happy. What feels "wrong" with your monk? What items will make that feeling go away? Those are the questions to ask if you really want to know what the next best upgrade is! :D

The Cyclone TR build really isn't designed to "1 pass" monsters. The idea is to 1 hit kill things when TR crits and SW crits and then when they don't hopefully you proc a Cyclone that does the cleanup work for you.

I don't 1 shot most of the mobs I pass and that is A-okay. You should be focusing on getting a good kills/minute ratio not on getting ALL the kills. If you TR into the middle of a pack, SOME of them will die instantly. The rest may die or may not but you have already done the bulk of the work you need to do.

That is why the Cyclone build is hard for many monks. You have to be okay just running away and hoping that Cyclone is doing its job! :D

Thanks Druin for a great guide. I've been leveling faster, and making more gold due to faster kill rate to boot.

I've been busily improving my gear as I can (couple big lucky sales have helped that a lot, as well as a few unexpected bargains--my thanks and apologies to whoever put my Xeph on buyout for 500k), and I think I'm almost where I want to be. I have my AR up to 444 without OWE (including AR Inna's pants that I don't think show on my profile yet), and was hoping to bump that to ~500 by getting an AR Inna's chest. I'm currently getting something like 60M xp / hr which seems a bit low, but is far better than I was getting before, so I can't really complain.

With that said, any thoughts on where to go from here? With this gear level, is it likely my technique that's keeping me "down" at 60M xp / hour? Any thoughts on additional purchases I should be considering? One obvious candidate is my Skorn, which has no sustain. On average I'd say I die once every two or three runs, but even when I don't I do waste some time running from RD packs when SSS is on cooldown. The challenge there is loss of DPS--looking at the AH now, I could spend 150M to get a LS Skorn and lose 10k dps, or 40M to get a LoK Skorn and lose ~2k dps--better options either don't exist or are fully out of my price range, honestly neither of those options feels great.

Thanks for any suggestions, and thanks for all the hard work put into this!

Hey Froman,

<3 the support! :D

Your monk looks great! I am rather suprised that you are dying that much to be honest. I would guess that has some to do with your playstyle but more to do with the lack of sustain on your Skorn.

Were I you, I would do some serious thinking about what direction you want to go in this game and then make some big-spending decisions. You are at the point where little upgrades are going to be near-meaningless which means it might take weeks of farming to make that one big purchase.

If you really love TR and want to invest into it, a sustain Skorn is easily the best place to move your money. Either a REALLY high DPS LoK skorn or a moderate DPS LS skorn.

The LoK skorn would be useless anywhere other than MP0 and the LS skorn would most likely be lower xp/hr on MP0.

Up to you! :D

@ Druin -

What did you pay for the skorn?

Buyout for 300m with 1d 12h left on AH :D
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Druin
Buyout for 300m with 1d 12h left on AH :D

..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Druin
That is why the Cyclone build is hard for many monks. You have to be okay just running away and hoping that Cyclone is doing its job! :D

I don't know if I will ever get this through my thick manta beads...lol
I have noticed that movement speed can work against you, I have now removed fleet footed from my passive selection and have noticed more killes with fire storm.The fact that the creature remains in the circle longer seems to "show" more kills,and I never tag the speed shrines. Before when I used all the movement speed abilities I would just blow by everything and have to make several back passes.
Just a few thoughts from another monk..:)
Reply Quote
Giving a bump and a thanks for the extended amount of information :)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Alright, I am going to break my 1 post per day limit because I did some massive multi-hour long overhaul editing to the format of the guide.

I moved the skills discussion section from the first build to the basics section so that the build-specific guides didn't get cluttered.

I also added discussion and explanation for just about every single skill you can even remotely think to use for a good TR build.

I was getting a LOT of "Why Cyclone over Firestorm" questions as well as Submission or Circular Breathing?!?!

I think the skills section should fully answer those questions now.

Next, I completely removed the pricing and min stats part of the end-game guide because people were reading it, getting the absolute min-stats gear and then trying to do the Cyclone/Submission spec when really they would be WAY better off with one of the medium grade guide builds!

Please people, if you don't have hundreds of millions of gold to spend, just don't try to do the end-game gear build!!!

I feel like the guide flows better now and has a lot more reasonable explanation.

I would love to have people's feedback so if anyone does take the time to read the newly updated format, please let me know how it goes!

While I am here ...

I don't know if I will ever get this through my thick manta beads...lol
I have noticed that movement speed can work against you, I have now removed fleet footed from my passive selection and have noticed more killes with fire storm.The fact that the creature remains in the circle longer seems to "show" more kills,and I never tag the speed shrines. Before when I used all the movement speed abilities I would just blow by everything and have to make several back passes.
Just a few thoughts from another monk..:)

The move speed issue is something I ran into as well.

You correctly identified that move speed decreases your DPS by making you move passed mobs faster than you would otherwise.

In many cases, gaining EHP from OWE AND DPS from moving slower can really help out monks who are sitting in the 80-100k dps range.

I highly recommend that any Monks who are finding issues with having to double back a lot to finish mobs try dropping Fleet Footed in favor of OWE or ES.

12/20/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Clavius
Giving a bump and a thanks for the extended amount of information :)

Thanks for the support! <3
Reply Quote
@Druin

So I finally sold my stone of Jordan and have a measly 18M atm, I was trying to look for a Xeph ammy with CC and SR but they are soooo expensive, will it matter if I get one with CD, IAS or no bonus stat at all which is within my budget limit? My DPS will surely drop, struggling at 106K DPS unbuffed now using the HF ring from my WD for added Exp bonus. Your advice will be much appreciated. If I can still tweak my gear a bit to reap the benefits of TR power leveling.
Edited by Xoniuqe#1256 on 12/20/2012 11:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
------------------

hey, so I just checked out the guide again, I like post#5 and the zero cost section!
I hope you do give homage to the ancient TR build with spirited salvo and the Sledge of Athskeleng setup, Utilizing ES + CoR + TGP.
Spirited Salvo requires no crit for the spirit, which would benefit the self-found people as well.

Anyways, looking good, keep it up.
And I sent them an email also. >:)

-Raaaawrhll, the Angry Monk!!
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 12/21/2012 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just checked the guide, looks really interesting and I'll probably be dabbling in it next week, thanks Druin!
Reply Quote
I'm struggling to farm decently. I've done 4 paragon levels with this new build and here are my issues:

- Reflect damage is a constant struggle, I seem to die often on them if I don't notice them fast enough. I also tend to have seven sided strike on cooldown so now I keep trying to save it for them.. Fallen maniacs also one hit me but I've learnt to avoid hitting them headon with TR.

- Enemies aren't dying fast enough. Even at 100k DPS and 10% sweeping winds I feel like some enemies take too long to die(I need to go through them twice). This might be just me expecting too much.

- Having some desync issues. Would gladly accept any tips to get less desyncing.

At first I used pickup with globes but that build failed horribly with me dying to many things so I saw your tip about life on kill skorn. I got the top life on kill skorn on the AH(at the time) and did much better. I did consider a LS skorn but I felt like I was struggling to kill enemies already and didn't want to nerf my damage a lot to get a Ls skorn(would probably go down at least 15k damage).

Which gear can I easily replace for around 15 million(while being a decent upgrade)? I mainly need help to increase my ehp so reflect stops instantly killing me. Should I ditch the pickup and globes? I'm not sure if they're necessary with life on kill.. and not sure if resistances will help me survive better. Thanks in advance

Profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hampster-1586/hero/19141839
Edited by hampster#1586 on 12/22/2012 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Hampster

Your gear is good.

To help with RD, try reduced cooldown SSS rune. If you know how to manipulate which enemies get hit, it does almost as good a job as fulminating onslaught and is much more likely to be available when you hit an RD pack. (By manipulate, i mean abuse it's range so that the scorpions are out of range and the elite's with RD are in. This sometimes means running over to a wall, and often means not using SSS in the middle of RD pack). It sometimes also helps to kill the trash before using SSS reduced cooldown rune so that all strikes hit the RD pack.

Without LS, having at least one item with pickup radius to grab the globes and one bonus to health globes item will help a lot.

Although a LoK skorn certainly helps, it may come up short on high health RD packs, especially when isolated.

I sometimes have to 'joust' the RD packs, inflicting damage in chunks, looking at health and cooldowns, and then deciding whether i'm ready to joust again. I use BoH-blazing instead of a spirit generator. This also helps since i can blast a heal as soon as i realize i've hit an RD pack. I don't die to RD unless i'm being very careless. Also of note: Overawe will boost your SSS 'knockout punch' for RD elites more than Submission. These tactics/skills may make me less efficient for killing trash, but staying alive vs. RD is great :)

The RD problem may be a temporary grievance depending on how/when RD is changed/nerfed. It could also disappear if LS was introduced on a non-weapon source. Thus, I advise not spending tons of money to get around a problem that may just go away by itself.

Regarding enemies dying slowly, don't bother with the fatties! The medium health critters that dominate Fields of Slaughter will probably take 2 passes. Efficiency will mean leaving lots of fatties behind and quite a few medium health guys at 1/4 life. Such is life :)
Edited by Vox#1186 on 12/22/2012 11:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/22/2012 10:43 AMPosted by hampster
- Enemies aren't dying fast enough. Even at 100k DPS and 10% sweeping winds I feel like some enemies take too long to die(I need to go through them twice). This might be just me expecting too much.

I would say you need at least 130k dps before enemies die fast enough
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]