Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

im having issues with my tempest rush build. i could use some advice thanks.
Reply Quote
to explain a little more i get 1 hit in the keeps level 1 by fanatics or w/e they are and when i run into reflect dmg my monk slows down and dies
Reply Quote
I put up a page describing the sweeping wind snapshot mechanics specifically here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/wiki/monksnapshot

There's a bit more to it, including how the Blinding Flash buff works.
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 12/23/2012 9:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
@UnboundSoul--I find that with fallen maniacs, the trick is to hit them quickly, or run away. When they first "wake up", they have a timer, and they won't explode until the timer goes off. If you hit them in that window, they die and you don't. Once they've been awake for a second or two, then you need to run away from them or risk getting 1-shot.
Reply Quote
thanks for the awesome info.. i made a tr monk following ur guideline and it rocks..
i was very expensive though and i couldnt find a good xer ammy so i improvised and got it to work though..
Reply Quote
srsly unacceptable for this to be on page two. how will I direct people here effectively?
Reply Quote
View profile
hi im currently on the low budget version as im trying to get a handle on the workings of tr, btw thanks for this guide as it made things much easier for me to figure out how to setup my gear and skills

im at 1.2aps in my current setup and i have 12.93spirit/s but i still run slightly negative on tempest rush while i run around. is 2 sources or spirit gen mandatory to keep perma-tr?

i am well aware that at my current dps i have to dbl back a lot to finish off trash but i figure ill be able to get away from that once i get a good skorn

sorry currently in nats setup so im at 1.3aps
but ive tried switching out the nats ring for a non aps ring with like 5cc and i still have spirit problems

Hello Steel,

First of all, thanks for your support! I am glad this guide has been helpful to you!

Second, I think the reason that you are losing spirit is because of what Joe said:
You have a 1.1 APS wep and 18% IAS (9% from ring, 9% from pants)
1.1 * 1.18 = 1.298 APS total
This means TR costs 12.98 spirit/sec
You have 2.47+3+2+1 = 8.47*1.47 = 12.45 spirit/sec gained
12.45-12.98 = -0.53 spirit/sec

Lastly, I think you would be greatly benefited by switching your Inna's Radiance from All Resist to Spirit/sec (even just ~1.9 spir/sec would work) and then switching your Diabo for a Skorn.

Even if you got the cheapest possible Skorn on the market, it would be a massive DPS increase for you and the drop from 1.1APS to 1.0 APS combine with a 1.9 spir/sec inna's would give you the following spir/sec math:
Cost: 1.0*(1.18) * 10 = 11.8 spir/sec
Gain: (1.9+3+2+1) * 1.47 = 11.613
Total spirit change: 11.613-11.8 = -0.187 spir/sec

This means you will lose 0.187 spirit per second which is almost nothing. As long as you use FoT:TC to kill mobs and you abuse the 250 spirit pool that ES gives you, you should be able to TR "forever" during your runs.

Good luck!

Note: Diabos suck :(

Druin thanks for the numbers i tried calculating but got much different results, and im posting here so as to not waste any of the available posts for other ppl who need ur help
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 12/26/2012 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
@steelphantom check your aps again. Just at a glance your weapon does 1.10 and you have 18% ias. I've tried spirit reg from different sources and haven't found a problem weather it comes from my items or skills or both.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Okay, I am back!

I still have things to do so it is unlikely I will be able to get in game at least until tomorrow ... but I can post here! :D

@Druin

So I finally sold my stone of Jordan and have a measly 18M atm, I was trying to look for a Xeph ammy with CC and SR but they are soooo expensive, will it matter if I get one with CD, IAS or no bonus stat at all which is within my budget limit? My DPS will surely drop, struggling at 106K DPS unbuffed now using the HF ring from my WD for added Exp bonus. Your advice will be much appreciated. If I can still tweak my gear a bit to reap the benefits of TR power leveling.

Hello Xoniuqe,

If you are looking at the ~18m budget range and you already have some pretty nice gear (litany, nat's, ammy, gloves ... ect.) Then I would recommend going with one of the builds in Part III - TR with Medium Gear:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#4

These builds generally do not require a Crit Chance Xeph ammy and can still be REALLY effective!

I don't really do the whole "this is what to buy" thing ... but those builds are pretty well explained so you should be able to figure out what the next upgrade you want is by reading them.

------------------

hey, so I just checked out the guide again, I like post#5 and the zero cost section!
I hope you do give homage to the ancient TR build with spirited salvo and the Sledge of Athskeleng setup, Utilizing ES + CoR + TGP.
Spirited Salvo requires no crit for the spirit, which would benefit the self-found people as well.

Anyways, looking good, keep it up.
And I sent them an email also. >:)

-Raaaawrhll, the Angry Monk!!

Thanks Raahl!

I will do a bit of testing, but it seems unlikely that there is a better ultra-low budget spec for TR than the Sledge +Madstone + ES + CoR + TGP build you initially threw out there.

Credit will be duly appointed when the time comes to do the writing! :D

Note: I laughed at the sig-tag ;)

12/21/2012 10:52 AMPosted by odaxium
Just checked the guide, looks really interesting and I'll probably be dabbling in it next week, thanks Druin!

I appreciate the support and I hope you have a good time getting into TR!

12/22/2012 10:43 AMPosted by hampster
I'm struggling to farm decently. I've done 4 paragon levels with this new build and here are my issues:

Hey Hampster,

I honestly believe that Vox nailed it on his response so the only thing I will add is this:

Tempest Rush is simply harder to use effectively than the normal Cookie Cutter build. It is totally normal to under-perform with it at first as you learn exactly how many passes each type of monster takes and exactly how long you can stand toe-toe before TRing away ... ect.

Once you get it down, the build offers so much movement that the "skill cap" is quite high and you can actually TR effectively with relatively terrible gear. :D

12/23/2012 12:42 PMPosted by UnboundSoul
im having issues with my tempest rush build. i could use some advice thanks.

I would be happy to give advice, however, your gear is pretty darn good for the TR build and I really don't know how/why you would be having those problems.

It would probably be best to talk in game so I can get a better feel for exactly what you are struggling with and that way I will be able to more specifically address your issues!

Druin#1518

I put up a page describing the sweeping wind snapshot mechanics specifically here:

There's a bit more to it, including how the Blinding Flash buff works.

Hey Raticus,

Thanks for your work!

As of now, we do not know whether or not Blizz classifies SW-snapshot abuse as an "exploit" and so I would prefer to keep discussion of its mechanics out of this thread until their stance becomes more clear.

I mean absolutely no disrespect I simply want to keep this thread as helpful as possible and, in the event that Blizz takes a firm "that is cheating" stance, I wouldn't want people to have wasted their money because of something they heard from my guide.

thanks for the awesome info.. i made a tr monk following ur guideline and it rocks..
i was very expensive though and i couldnt find a good xer ammy so i improvised and got it to work though..

Nice work Guts!

While a CC Xeph is technically BiS, I think your monk looks fine w/o it!

That is a very good example of how to make it work without Xeph!

Would you mind explaining your choice for water-elemental? I have tried out wind and I didn't mind it because the extra clean-up power it has, but I do not know why you would want to use water.

12/25/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Seaboots
srsly unacceptable for this to be on page two. how will I direct people here effectively?

<3

hi im currently on the low budget version as im trying to get a handle on the workings of tr, btw thanks for this guide as it made things much easier for me to figure out how to setup my gear and skills

im at 1.2aps in my current setup and i have 12.93spirit/s but i still run slightly negative on tempest rush while i run around. is 2 sources or spirit gen mandatory to keep perma-tr?

i am well aware that at my current dps i have to dbl back a lot to finish off trash but i figure ill be able to get away from that once i get a good skorn

sorry currently in nats setup so im at 1.3aps
but ive tried switching out the nats ring for a non aps ring with like 5cc and i still have spirit problems

Hello Steel,

First of all, thanks for your support! I am glad this guide has been helpful to you!

Second, I think the reason that you are losing spirit is because of what Joe said:
You have a 1.1 APS wep and 18% IAS (9% from ring, 9% from pants)
1.1 * 1.18 = 1.298 APS total
This means TR costs 12.98 spirit/sec
You have 2.47+3+2+1 = 8.47*1.47 = 12.45 spirit/sec gained
12.45-12.98 = -0.53 spirit/sec

Lastly, I think you would be greatly benefited by switching your Inna's Radiance from All Resist to Spirit/sec (even just ~1.9 spir/sec would work) and then switching your Diabo for a Skorn.

Even if you got the cheapest possible Skorn on the market, it would be a massive DPS increase for you and the drop from 1.1APS to 1.0 APS combine with a 1.9 spir/sec inna's would give you the following spir/sec math:
Cost: 1.0*(1.18) * 10 = 11.8 spir/sec
Gain: (1.9+3+2+1) * 1.47 = 11.613
Total spirit change: 11.613-11.8 = -0.187 spir/sec

This means you will lose 0.187 spirit per second which is almost nothing. As long as you use FoT:TC to kill mobs and you abuse the 250 spirit pool that ES gives you, you should be able to TR "forever" during your runs.

Good luck!

Note: Diabos suck :(
Reply Quote
@druin. Hey since your online. Howbout check my setup. I do have an soj and X ammy but I swapped them out for the dps and loh. Just can't afford a high dps/Ls skorn yet. Para0 pretty easy. I can get up to para3 before I really start dying. And that's more issue with the Ls. Any pointers are great. Btw. Love the build. Went back to Dh after a week running this build and was sooooo bored with the speed.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
12/26/2012 10:53 AMPosted by JoeCamel
@druin. Hey since your online. Howbout check my setup. I do have an soj and X ammy but I swapped them out for the dps and loh. Just can't afford a high dps/Ls skorn yet. Para0 pretty easy. I can get up to para3 before I really start dying. And that's more issue with the Ls. Any pointers are great. Btw. Love the build. Went back to Dh after a week running this build and was sooooo bored with the speed.

Looking good.

Things to work on:
1. You really need 12% move speed on your boots.
2. You would gain a lot by switching the IAS/CHD ring with a CHC ring (or hellfire) if you want to keep using SW:Cyclone.
3. Blinding Flash: Faith in the Light is far more real dps than Breath of Heaven: Blazing Wrath while also giving you a good tool to use with SSS to kill elites.

Good luck and thanks for the support! :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Hi druin,

thanks for your guide. I'm relatively poor (3m in the bank) but have managed to slowly build up over the past few weeks using your budget builds.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Beefychops-1125/hero/3441817
Can you suggest next steps and/or any adjustments please.

thx much
Reply Quote
Hi Druin,

Thanks for the great guide. I originally used a variant to farm for Leorics... 3 weeks later i decided i couldnt stand it anymore and re-purposed my gear for some act runs.

I was thinking of changing out my monks bracer (totally forgot about it) with my DH's one or getting one with alot of poison resist (i was a poision monk). Also removing exaulted soul and putting in OWE for some added all resist.

Other than getting a better skorn, do you have any tips?

Im saving for a XEP ammy with dex and similar spirit regen.. maybe with cc but that will be very costly :\.

so far im able to run MP0 with little issues outside of RD packs and jail,desecrate,poison packs. i WOULD like to get up to like mp3 and at similar effectiveness but wanted to know what i would need for that.

if i remove chant, i will be at 13.05 SR.. i think. am i right?
Reply Quote
If I can offer any advice to finding your sweet spot for max efficiency it would be as follows...

-It's all about plowing through mobs with one pass through. Find your sweet spot with spirit regen from a combo of gear and passives.

-only drop OWE if you can still maintain one pass through killing and have good all resist (300ish) and some sustain loh/ls, although sustain isn't required for TR builds.

-as tempting as overawe is...submission outperforms it due to larger radius and more "time on target" DPS

-this same principle applies to Fleetfooted and firestorm vs bladestorm. If your DPS is high enough that you can run fleetfooted coupled with bladestorm while killing mobs with one pass through then great. Dropping fleetfooted for another spirit regen passive is common for those that employ the wider radius firestorm and typically a strong DPS neck in place of xep.

-avoid SW:cyclone. I have tested this extensively w/ 50+ crit gear setups and I can say that a proper TR playstyle doesn't proc enough cyclones for it to perform better than firestorm or bladestorm

-use Deadly reach foresight to buff SW screenshot DMG. FOT isnt neccessary really. Yes SSS will be on CD sometimes when encountering another champ pack-however the ticks from submission and a permanent 3 stack SW will mow them dowwn in 1-2 hits if your DPS is sufficient.

-Aim for the highest damage Skorn you can afford. It does NOT require any sustain to work ok. remeber that by investing in 7+ pickup radius will get the job done for mp0 TR farming and be much less costly!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hi druin,

thanks for your guide. I'm relatively poor (3m in the bank) but have managed to slowly build up over the past few weeks using your budget builds.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Beefychops-1125/hero/3441817
Can you suggest next steps and/or any adjustments please.

thx much

Hello Beefychops,

Your monk is looking great!

I would recommend giving SW:Inner Storm + MoC:Submission a try instead of SW:Cyclone + MoH:Circ.

Your Crit Chance of 40% is a bit low for Cyclone though, it isn't THAT low so it definitely can work.

You will probably want to look into getting a TR crit (if you want to Cyclone) or SW damage (if you want to Inner Storm) SoJ and then it's pretty much up to you if you want to get a Hellfire ring or not.

They greatly improve xp/hr and you can get a hellfire with very similar stats to your litany.

Hi Druin,

Thanks for the great guide. I originally used a variant to farm for Leorics... 3 weeks later i decided i couldnt stand it anymore and re-purposed my gear for some act runs.

I was thinking of changing out my monks bracer (totally forgot about it) with my DH's one or getting one with alot of poison resist (i was a poision monk). Also removing exaulted soul and putting in OWE for some added all resist.

Other than getting a better skorn, do you have any tips?

Im saving for a XEP ammy with dex and similar spirit regen.. maybe with cc but that will be very costly :\.

so far im able to run MP0 with little issues outside of RD packs and jail,desecrate,poison packs. i WOULD like to get up to like mp3 and at similar effectiveness but wanted to know what i would need for that.

if i remove chant, i will be at 13.05 SR.. i think. am i right?

Hello Griever,

Thanks for the support! :D

I think your monk looks great! I am really glad to see you are going with the inner storm + MoC strat because, at least for now, you have too little CHC to make Cyclone work.

That being said, you REALLY want to use Submission instead of Overawe. If you read what I wrote on the subject, the damage comparison isn't even remotely close (Submission is something like 6 times more damage than overawe).

I think a good Xeph ammy would be really helpful for sure. Crit Chance is going to give you BY FAR the biggest bang for your buck in the DPS department because you have a really high CHD Skorn and a CHD Hellfire! I would guess, though I haven't run the numbers, that a CHC Xeph with 0 dex would be better than a dex Xeph for you.

It is very important to remember that Tempest Rush is a MP0 spec. You can technically go into higher MP levels with it, but it loses the vast majority of its effectiveness.

TR is mostly good because it shortens the amount of time it takes to run from place to place. In low MP's you spend more time running than killing so shortening this time is good. In higher MP's you start to spend more time killing things than running and so increasing your kill speed is better than increasing your move speed. For anything above MP1, I would recommend the cookie-cutter build over TR.

Spirit Calcs:
With everything in your profile:
Gain: (2.05 + 2.32 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 0.33) * 1.47 = 15.73
Loss: 11.7
Net: 15.73 - 11.7 = 4.03 gained per second

Without Exalted Soul:
Gain (2.05 + 2.32 + 3 + 2 + 0.33) * 1.47 = 14.26
Net : 14.26 - 11.7 = 2.56 gained per second

Without CoR:
Gain (2.05 + 2.32 + 3 + 1 + 0.33) * 1.47 = 12.79
Net : 12.79 - 11.7 = 1.09 gained per second

I would highly recommend keeping CoR and dropping ES if you are going to go for that strategy.

Lastly, if you have any interest I might give you a lot of gold (I could also trade the gloves I am currently wearing + some gold) for those gloves you are wearing! :D

If I can offer any advice to finding your sweet spot for max efficiency it would be as follows...

Hello Technoviking,

Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread and drop some advice!

I have no intention of disparaging you or your experiences, however I do not agree with some of your proposals. I would be happy to discuss them more if you are interested in doing so, just let me know!

-It's all about plowing through mobs with one pass through. Find your sweet spot with spirit regen from a combo of gear and passives.

-only drop OWE if you can still maintain one pass through killing and have good all resist (300ish) and some sustain loh/ls, although sustain isn't required for TR builds.

-as tempting as overawe is...submission outperforms it due to larger radius and more "time on target" DPS

This is all 100% in line with what I have experienced and tested. Agreed.

-this same principle applies to Fleetfooted and firestorm vs bladestorm. If your DPS is high enough that you can run fleetfooted coupled with bladestorm while killing mobs with one pass through then great. Dropping fleetfooted for another spirit regen passive is common for those that employ the wider radius firestorm and typically a strong DPS neck in place of xep.

This is mostly true though I do not agree with the example runes used for SW. When thinking about Fleet Footed, you must take into consideration that you will not only lose the spirit/sec or EHP from the passive slot (ideally you are replacing Exalted Soul, OWE or STI), but you will also do LESS dps because you will be passing by mobs more quickly and thus, they will be spending less time in the damage range of your SW.

Fleet is really only good when you have a ton of DPS.

-avoid SW:cyclone. I have tested this extensively w/ 50+ crit gear setups and I can say that a proper TR playstyle doesn't proc enough cyclones for it to perform better than firestorm or bladestorm

This is flatly not true. I have so many pages of data that contradict this statement.
At approximately 42% crit chance, Cyclone will start to perform better than Firestorm and then it scales exponentially from there. At 55% CHC Cyclone is so much better it's not even something you can reasonably compare.

The reason this does not SEEM to be true is something I cover in my explanation of Cyclone in my main post. Cyclone kills monsters off-screen which FEELS worse than Firestorm which kills monsters on screen. Despite this feeling, Cyclone kills more monsters and will yield higher xp/hr if you have enough crit chance.

Furthermore, Bladestorm is simply terrible. It does far less damage than Firestorm (33% damage increase compared to 96% from Firestorm) which I explain with math in my explanation of SW found on this post:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#2

My data-based conclusions regarding SW:Cyclone are also backed up by many many other top-tier TR monks who have run numbers and come to the same conclusion as me. In that light, if you have conflicting data, I would be very interested in talking with you and trying to figure out why this is the case!

-use Deadly reach foresight to buff SW screenshot DMG. FOT isnt neccessary really. Yes SSS will be on CD sometimes when encountering another champ pack-however the ticks from submission and a permanent 3 stack SW will mow them dowwn in 1-2 hits if your DPS is sufficient.

Yup!

-Aim for the highest damage Skorn you can afford. It does NOT require any sustain to work ok. remeber that by investing in 7+ pickup radius will get the job done for mp0 TR farming and be much less costly!

In personal testing, I have found that, while it is possible to TR with low eHP and zero sustain (gaining health from globes), it is not very efficient. Having just a small amount of Life on Kill (~1.5k) makes the build MUCH easier to handle and will generally make your xp/hr go up due to less time spent running away/kiting and more time spent killing trash! :D

You can definitely get a max DPS skorn but without some sustain it's a pain unless you somehow got a ton of eHP (in which case why didn't you just buy a nicer Skorn?!).
Reply Quote
12/27/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Druin

If you aren't getting results with 50+ crit chance then I guarantee that you are just playing wrong. You have to aim for dense packs of mobs in order to spawn as many cyclones as possible and then just run to the next dense pack.

You are clearly playing your cyclone build like a firestorm build and spending time running to small groups of 1-4 monsters when you should just let your cyclone kill them and move on
Reply Quote
@druin
i use water because " The ally gains the ability to perform a wave attack that deals 120% of your weapon damage as Physical and slows the movement of affected targets by 30% for 2 seconds."
it has the highest % damage out of all allies.. thats the only reason.. also im testing out all of them.. cant seem to find a "best" one
Edited by Guts#1702 on 12/27/2012 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
@druin
i use water because " The ally gains the ability to perform a wave attack that deals 120% of your weapon damage as Physical and slows the movement of affected targets by 30% for 2 seconds."
it has the highest % damage out of all allies.. thats the only reason.. also im testing out all of them.. cant seem to find a "best" one

Air ally should be good for this build. too bad it sucks numbers wise. it should provide spirit regen, not burst spirit randomly (like a breeze. what kind of wind blows really freaken hard for an instant then stops completely???). Also dps around the ally should be awesome, but the radius is just so bad. Then there's the matter of the ally not getting your crit damage, which we build a lot of, so that really sucks.
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/27/2012 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Heya guys.

@Druin-- we are in agreement for 99% of the info here. idk I felt like SW cyclone could be manipulated to proc clones for stragglers with very dense packs--but I also felt like firestorm outperforms it overall since the large radius provided more time on target DPS/submission ticks. I didn't feel like the clones procced enough quite frankly. Maybe if I had some +TR crit affix from gear then it would improve. To each is own I guess there really isn't a wrong way to speedfarm w/ TR if your 90m+ xp per hr consistantly.

I should note that the majority of that testing I did not use fleet footed so that synergized better with firestorm for one pass throughs. i don't have enough all res to drop OWE atm due to my DPS "sweet spot" for everything to work well is around 140k DPS. The only scenario where bladestorm would be remotely viable would be with 200k+ DPS TR setup where fleetfooted was used, spi-regen was golden and you could nuke ALL mobs w/ one pass w/out the concern of ever having stragglers--I find this not realistic and therefore I don't use.

@seaboots. I can appreciate feedback but every time you chime in in these threads you come off as arrogant and argumentative. whats up w/ that bro? Not sure how you can deduce that i am "playing my TR spec wrong". A terminally impaired three toed sloth could successfully run a TR build without incident. It is brainless and dull. My only challenge is running w/ my Zero sustain gearset and no OWE and encountering reflect mobs w/o SSS up--thats a hoot! anyways ya Ill keep checking this thread to see if any new strats aries--enjoy holding down right mouse button until carpal develops!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]