Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

View profile
01/03/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Druin
Keeps lvl 2 (which I personally HATE as a map)

VEGETA: THE. BLASPHEMY. IS. OVER. NINE. THOUSAND.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Well, that is a 501st post ... so, as I see it, there are three possibilities.
1. It caps at 500 replies and not 500 posts which makes zero sense.
2. There is no cap in the first place which seems the most likely to me
3. The post received an extension and no one bothered to tell me which would be fantastic!

01/03/2013 09:57 AMPosted by gotaplanstan
Keeps lvl 2 (which I personally HATE as a map)

VEGETA: THE. BLASPHEMY. IS. OVER. NINE. THOUSAND.

Random gen tiles + Maniacs + low elite density when you can't get xp anymore = bad news bears.
Reply Quote
i noticed that the guide recommends the xeph ammy for more spirit regen. with SoJ and helm, and the right passives, i am able to sustain TR permanently with overawe alone. 10.85 = 11 sp /second and an attack speed of 1.04, even after lacunis, thanks to doom hammer and not skorn.

just FYI. i logged out my monk as per TR build, so feel free to have a look.

oh yea, im using ice climbers. ;P

and i MUCH prefer empowered wave over SSS. if u have LS and decent DR, i dont see why belling RD packs to death is an issue. in the worst case, i pop serenity. and bell lets me clear entire tightly packed mobs in an instant. most times, blue packs go down in a single bell too.
Edited by HuntingFox#6284 on 1/3/2013 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Druin, quick question as I just spent more gold on any single item than I ever have and I'm having buyer's remorse! Would you say 50 million is a reasonable price to pay for an SoJ with 6% poison/ 2.12/ 30%/ 7% TR? It seemed like the best deal I have ever seen on a near perfect SoJ but I'm still a bit afraid that I overpaid and I pride myself on only dropping gold on the absolute best deals. Did I luck out or unwisely fill up someone's coffers? Thanks much and as always, I appreciate your ongoing support for us TR acolytes in the thread!

edit: Didn't want to clog up the thread with another post but good to know I found a deal! Only P49 atm so I will for sure be rolling with this for a while. Thx again! =D
Edited by Winthrop#1750 on 1/3/2013 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Slightly off topic of Tempest Rushing, but assuming that I didn't actually have the gear to pull off an actual Tempest rush, do you think the Seaboots 3-zone route is still the most efficient way to maximize XP gain per hour?

I was testing out that route with a HC Monk and even with severely reduced DPS, no tempest rush, a defensive skill set, and the need to play more carefully, I was still getting about 15m XP/hour. I'm wondering if I could do better with a longer or shorter route, though. (Leave aside for a moment that a route riddled with Succubi, Phase Beasts, and Fallen Maniacs is probably not the most advisable one for HC).

Also, assuming you don't get a full stack of NV in the first zone of that route, do you think it's a good idea to just run just past the waypoint and poke into the next zone. There's usually a champ pack sitting right there. Sometimes there are two packs.
Reply Quote
View profile
@winthrop i think u got a good deal
ive been shoppin for a tr soj and they are usually overpriced

@demi skycrown battlements isnt that bad, and while it less xp than keeps 2, its much safer

btw Druin and all the other monks congrats on getting this thread extended
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 1/3/2013 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
i noticed that the guide recommends the xeph ammy for more spirit regen. with SoJ and helm, and the right passives, i am able to sustain TR permanently with overawe alone. 10.85 = 11 sp /second and an attack speed of 1.04, even after lacunis, thanks to doom hammer and not skorn.

just FYI. i logged out my monk as per TR build, so feel free to have a look.

oh yea, im using ice climbers. ;P

and i MUCH prefer empowered wave over SSS. if u have LS and decent DR, i dont see why belling RD packs to death is an issue. in the worst case, i pop serenity. and bell lets me clear entire tightly packed mobs in an instant. most times, blue packs go down in a single bell too.

Cool Bells-TR build! :D

Because you are not using 4 pieces of Inna's, I can't really consider your build a "TR" build as much as a Bells build with TR in it.

For that reason, I would not recommend Xeph ammy for you!

Xeph is simply a BiS item for very very high-tier Cyclone-TR builds (such as mine) and possible BiS for xp/hr min/maxing!

01/03/2013 11:37 AMPosted by Winthrop
Druin, quick question as I just spent more gold on any single item than I ever have and I'm having buyer's remorse! Would you say 50 million is a reasonable price to pay for an SoJ with 6% poison/ 2.12/ 30%/ 7% TR? It seemed like the best deal I have ever seen on a near perfect SoJ but I'm still a bit afraid that I overpaid and I pride myself on only dropping gold on the absolute best deals. Did I luck out or unwisely fill up someone's coffers? Thanks much and as always, I appreciate your ongoing support for us TR acolytes in the thread!

That ring is worth ~120m+ you got a great deal and, as long as you plan on sticking with the TR thing, you will not regret it.

Grats!

If you still hate it after a few days, let me know and I will buy it back from you for 50m! ;D

Slightly off topic of Tempest Rushing, but assuming that I didn't actually have the gear to pull off an actual Tempest rush, do you think the Seaboots 3-zone route is still the most efficient way to maximize XP gain per hour?

I was testing out that route with a HC Monk and even with severely reduced DPS, no tempest rush, a defensive skill set, and the need to play more carefully, I was still getting about 15m XP/hour. I'm wondering if I could do better with a longer or shorter route, though. (Leave aside for a moment that a route riddled with Succubi, Phase Beasts, and Fallen Maniacs is probably not the most advisable one for HC).

Also, assuming you don't get a full stack of NV in the first zone of that route, do you think it's a good idea to just run just past the waypoint and poke into the next zone. There's usually a champ pack sitting right there. Sometimes there are two packs.

1. I do believe Seaboot's route is the best xp/hr that we know of in the game right now independent of build.
The reason its xp/hr is so high is that those three zones are the highest elite+white mob density zones in the game and so they will yield high xp/hr no matter what your build-type.

2. If I was playing HC (which I am now) I would think that Keeps2 would be a terrible place to grind because there is always the off chance that you lag and maniacs kill you. For that reason I would personally do Skycrown and/or Stonefort instead of Keeps2.
(more on this topic when my HC toon is actually in Act3 Inferno)

3. It is rarely a good idea to deviate from the path. I know that concept sucks and I know it would feel better to get 5 stacks before hitting the high mob-density zones, but mathematically that is not the way to go. The reason for this is that 1-2 stacks of Valor do relatively little for your xp bonus.

Example: you have 100% xp normally, 31% from Ruby 35% from ring and 45% from 3 stacks of valor.
That is a total of 211% or 2.11 xp received for every 1 xp gained.
If you now go to 5 stacks of valor, you have 241% bonus xp.
2.41/2.11 = 1.142 or 14.2% increase in xp gain.

It is very unlikely that the zones you go to in order to get those extra stacks are only 14% less mob-dense than Arreat2 Rakkis and Keeps2. Therefore, even though you are getting 14% more xp/hr when getting those extra 2 stacks, you are losing MORE than 14% xp/hr by spending time in zones with lower mob-density.

That being said, as always, if getting those extra stacks makes you enjoy the game more, it is the right call.

Math < Fun.
Fact.
Reply Quote
Example: you have 100% xp normally, 31% from Ruby 35% from ring and 45% from 3 stacks of valor.
That is a total of 211% or 2.11 xp received for every 1 xp gained.
If you now go to 5 stacks of valor, you have 241% bonus xp.
2.41/2.11 = 1.142 or 14.2% increase in xp gain.

31% Ruby? Hellfire ring? No, I'm not quite at that place, yet. I've only got my NV, but I understand your point for full-on TR gear. One more NV stack is only about 7% more XP.

It is very unlikely that the zones you go to in order to get those extra stacks are only 14% less mob-dense than Arreat2 Rakkis and Keeps2. Therefore, even though you are getting 14% more xp/hr when getting those extra 2 stacks, you are losing MORE than 14% xp/hr by spending time in zones with lower mob-density.

I'm still not too sure. I'm not really running through the zone. You just step into the next zone (which you can see from the waypoint) and the elites are attacking you. Kill them and then it's on to the Keeps. If I would only otherwise have 3 stacks of NV before I go to the Keeps, it's about a 10% bonus in XP until I've killed 2 champ packs. Sometimes you've killed a lot of mobs before you've killed two champ packs in the Keeps.

That being said, as always, if getting those extra stacks makes you enjoy the game more, it is the right call.

Math < Fun.
Fact.

I'm not used to thinking in terms of XP per second, and I probably letting my desire to fight that extra pack color my estimations. Nothing like popping through to the next zone and then some Arcane/Waller/Jailer elites are suddenly fighting you on the stairs.

I've been a bit of an adrenaline junky in HC lately. Since I got the Inferno achievement, I'm probably pushing the limits of how little EHP I can have beyond what is advisable in order to up my DPS. I'm probably going to get this guy killed. In some weird way, that seems to be the point.
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 11:06 AMPosted by HuntingFox

I agree with this (except for the serenity part, put FitL back on, yeesh). I used bell before switching to DS:WotFS

not a chance in hell is this worth it. you need to be destroying hordes of trash 24/7 to maximize your exp gain.
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 1/3/2013 12:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the run Druin! It's great and I've been doing it but I have not been getting any good drops at all =(

Anyways I have only 4 mil at the moment and was wondering if you could do a gear check for me and give me some tips on what I should be focusing next for my next upgrade? Thanks!
Reply Quote
View profile
Missing a right parenthesis in the title.

|————————————(••÷[ The Tempest Rush Compendium ]÷••)———————————|

:D
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Missing a right parenthesis in the title.

|————————————(••÷[ The Tempest Rush Compendium ]÷••)———————————|

:D

FML!

Fixed. Now I can't make it symmetrical though. <Sigh>
Reply Quote
Cool Bells-TR build! :D

Because you are not using 4 pieces of Inna's, I can't really consider your build a "TR" build as much as a Bells build with TR in it.

For that reason, I would not recommend Xeph ammy for you!

Xeph is simply a BiS item for very very high-tier Cyclone-TR builds (such as mine) and possible BiS for xp/hr min/maxing!

hmm, thanks. I never thought of my TR as secondary - bell primary. At the end of the day, TR is my vehicle and bell is the MG mounted on it.

whats the difference here? is it that the DPS is higher and u literally mop the floor as u run?

@seaboots - noted, thanks. will see if i have issues after dropping serenity. i had considered capturing a stronger SW with FiTL, but i wondered if that 30% was worth it.
Reply Quote
Let me get this right.

Core to WP.
Take WP to Arreat 2. Clear to Cursed 1 (DO NOT do cursed 1?)
WP to Rakkis clear to fields. (Port home)
(might be confused on the next part)
Run from home to Skycrown, clear to the end of Stonefort
Edited by Slade#1528 on 1/4/2013 5:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the thread Druin. Just by chance I came across it while reading something non-monk related. It turns out I was leveling a monk for so I could have one of each class at 60 and when I saw this thread I decided to give TR a try.

Over the last 2 days I was able to cobble together my TR set for under 5m while I finished reaching max level...well except for the IK gloves I had those in my stash and that made the decision to pick up some IK boots an easy one.

Looks like I am still a bit short on a few goals for the midrange build you outlined.

Spirit Regen w/Templar at 10.3, .5/sec short
84K DPS - 16k short without MoC, I should probably get this higher, right?
Resist 363-442: Should I switch to OWE?
40% CHC: 42 is the magic number for cyclones, right?

Is 25.5k health good enough?

Is 4.3k Armor good enough? I have alot of items with strength so I assumed my armor is a bit higher then normal.

What to upgrade/tweak? I can get some better gems, including giving myself 20%-40% more CHD. A better Hellfire ring with CHC would help. A slightly higher DPS Skorn would probably be a nice DPS boost. Getting a helm with 2+ spirit/s would give the needed 10.8 regen I need.
Reply Quote
Druin, I've been upgrading my TR gear set and I believe I'm near optimized for my budget:)

I finally hit 130K unbuffed, with my CC at 44 and my CD at over 500 while having enough HP (I believe 35K+).

I gave up on me building my SW "damage" for TR and focused more on CD/CC and it's payed off...my xp runs got a little faster (and we all know it adds over time)...instead I swapped out my SoJ for a budget TR one (with 2.0 SR/6 poison dam/20% against elites and 7% TR CC)...I can tell the difference right away on that one item change.

I watched your last TR vid on youtube with the budget build, where you talked a bit about the TR SoJ...keep up the good work on your vids...I've referred a couple of beginner monks to your TR guide and they both liked it as well.
Reply Quote
Great and informative post Druin. I'm just sad that I found it after your insights have inflated the prices of Inna's Radiance, Stone of Jordan and Xeph Amulet! It is pretty amazing how the playstyle of one can affect the market so drastically.

Stones of Jordan w/ TR% & spirit regen and Inna's Radiance w/ spirit regen have become pretty elusive and expensive. I've been trying your build without these items since my Xeph Amulet cost me all my extra cash haha (40M, sigh).

I have been ejoying my runs, until I run into an elite pack that crowd controls me in some way (jailer, fear, etc). I usually die then.

Just wanted to give you a bump and a thanks. Cheers!
Reply Quote
Another bump for great info to read later
Reply Quote
Hey Druin When u get ingame message me. I have an improvement to your TR Setup :).
Reply Quote
druin is there a mp5+ build and route for your great TR build.?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]