Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Hi Druin,

First off, AMAZING guide. This is one of the most comprehensive and well-organized guides I have ever seen! Props to you for this and keep up the great work! I wish I had read this a while ago as I probably would have saved myself a lot of gold on gearing and re-gearing.

Now my questions. I have been trying to get Tempest Rush working for my monk for quite some time now (I bought the helm and SoJ on my monk a while back and I am glad I did because an upgrade to those slots these days would cost me 20m+ it looks like!). Yesterday I picked up the Skorn that I am using (previously I had an Inna's Staff with 2.2 SR and 8% TR crit) and it made a world of difference for my DPS and sustain! That said I am still having some difficulty with survivability.

I would like to know what you think of my gearing choices and if you have any recommendations to improve my Tempest Rush build without breaking the bank. I do have some gold to play with but I feel like I have already spent so much playing around with this (the Skorn especially cost me a pretty penny) that I would like to keep the cost within reason.

See my profile here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TheM0L3-1696/hero/23849849

I think my biggest problem is my All Resist (it is just over 200 right now) and I am thinking the only way to improve that without spending too much is to take some more FR and grab OWE as a passive instead of FF. Any suggestions on where I can get this (or some VIT) without losing too much DPS or regearing completely? I also wanted to ask what you think about having the Nat's 2 piece for the 7% crit chance? I know that Nat's ring has IAS but I was thinking it would be worth the trade and I could gear around it, especially if I am using Circular Breathing. Any help would be much appreciated.

I also wanted to mention a skill that I have been using in conjunction with this build that I found to be pretty useful and that is the Mystic Ally. Particularly the Air Ally can be pretty handy for cleanup as well as DPS on the elite packs. The 100 spirit proc is very helpful as well. Just thought you may want to consider adding this as a viable skill to use with the build.
Edited by TheM0L3#1696 on 1/8/2013 8:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
Decided to give this a shot after trying to keep up w my boy and his tr build w my wd (thought I was fast).. So I took off my IK/ias jewelry/shield(!) and made a few purchases after reading through your guide/vids.

Innas vast prices have gone up since I sold mine awhile ago, 10m for mine. Cheapest TR/SW ring was the one I picked up at 6m, skorn w LoK and had to buy yet another helm (now have 4 innas helms). Anyway, since my dex hellfires don't have cc I am stuck using a defensive ring w 5cc.. I tested the run w mantra of healing and can sustain TR 90% of the time. Am wondering and will test tonight to see if I can run this still with MoC. Anything else skill wise that I can blatantely change? After robbing bracers and belt from my dh I did save some gold there but not really sure I want to spend any more gold as of this point as this is no longer my "main" character and run MP8 stuffs w my wd and mf w my barb mp2/3.

Thanks for your continuous support!
Reply Quote
Indeed amazing guide! I followed the budget TR guide and made a TR build for about 15m, even maintain almost identical DPS compare to my other build, well less resistance of course but for farming XP in MP0? No sweat at all.

Thanks again for the guide, I've been having headache on how fast I can farm those XP :)
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 09:55 PMPosted by Raticus79
Just in case it wasn't mentioned yet, Tempest Rush has its own little snapshot which probably includes the effects of blinding flash. Worth checking out.

While this is true, and the spirit cost part of the snapshot can probably be abused, TR is not like SW and can't really be "kept up" all the time so snapshotting it is less than ideal for the most part.

If it does snapshot Faith in the Light I think there could be an argument made for multi-buff snapshotting TR and then using TR to kill elites though!

Testing is definitely required on this one.

Great guide, very indepth! I geared up for it, tried it for a week and I'm sold. So sold in fact, that I am concerned that this is the only way I'd like to play my monk. The cyclone build seems so slow in comparison; even my pickup radius witch doctor seems slow now. Is there a way back from TR?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VvT76-2714/hero/13446403

First off, thanks a lot for the support! Always nice to see euro guys over here!

Second, I honestly have trouble playing my monk with anything else. Every time I run ubers I have to follow it up with a couple MP0 loot runs to shake off the feeling of sluggishness :D

That being said, a maxed IAS Dashing Strike: Quicksilver cookie-cutter build is pretty fun on MP10. You are SO agile and if you ditch Serenity, you actually have to time Dashing Strikes correctly in order to live.

That is the only other way I will currently play my monk.

Just something to try, it was suggested in another TR thread that people with high phys resist can actually use STI instead of OWE because reflects damage is the only REAL threat on MP0. I tried it and loved it. Something you might want to at least give a shot seeing as you have pretty nice gear and a lot of phys resist!

P.S. nice gloves!!!!

Hi Druin, I've been trying to put together a S&B build for TR usage and my current profile is the closest I could get on my limited budget. My hellfire and Xeph is missing 1.5 CC and some CD, my helm needs another 1 CC, and of course I could get lots of more DEX if I had the money! Other than that I don't really feel there's a lot of room for improvement. Though I would love to be proven wrong and I'm completely open to suggestions :)

The build actually works decently and I have infinte TR if I sacrifice some speed and remove fleet footed. I often have to do two passes, but the cyclones really do a great job if I just trust them and not double back quite so much. I don't do any gear-switching, just the locking of DR+BF.

This obviously cannot compete with a 2H-build, but I thought I'd give it a try for fun :)

Profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/zen-2888/hero/5069724

Very nice! That is pretty much as good as your are going to get with a 1h/shield build. I don't think it's completely non-viable, but you give up soooooo much dps in favor of a bit of mitigation and a good amount of cyclone damage spread.

With truly perfect gear (>150k DPS) it probably starts to out-perform 2h builds because at that point, more cyclones is the only thing that can even hope to kill mobs faster ... but we will have to wait and see what some AH tycoon can come up with! ;)

Hi Druin,

First off, AMAZING guide. This is one of the most comprehensive and well-organized guides I have ever seen! Props to you for this and keep up the great work! I wish I had read this a while ago as I probably would have saved myself a lot of gold on gearing and re-gearing.

Hello TheM0L3,

Thank you very much for the support. I am glad that my guide worked for you! :D

Now my questions. I have been trying to get Tempest Rush working for my monk for quite some time now (I bought the helm and SoJ on my monk a while back and I am glad I did because an upgrade to those slots these days would cost me 20m+ it looks like!). Yesterday I picked up the Skorn that I am using (previously I had an Inna's Staff with 2.2 SR and 8% TR crit) and it made a world of difference for my DPS and sustain! That said I am still having some difficulty with survivability.

I would like to know what you think of my gearing choices and if you have any recommendations to improve my Tempest Rush build without breaking the bank. I do have some gold to play with but I feel like I have already spent so much playing around with this (the Skorn especially cost me a pretty penny) that I would like to keep the cost within reason.

Okies, some thoughts about your gearing choices:
1. It seems like you are working with a fairly limited budget, it would probably be helpful to know what you consider "reasonable."

I personally think that this spec requires a minimum input of ~20m gold so that is something to keep in mind. (obviously you have all the pieces already so you don't need to spend all that much to get to where you want to be)

2. You have several pieces of armor that strike me as being significantly weaker than other pieces:
Inna's Chest: This would be an extremely easy place to get 40-50 fire resist.
Inna's Belt: 23 fire resist simply isn't enough. Aim for 40-50.
Inna's Pants: 112 armor is pretty darn low. It's not a terrible roll but it shouldn't cost THAT much to upgrade.
Nat's Boots: I don't know the price of nat's now-a-days because I don't like them at all, but that is a crazy low roll with no fire resist. I would focus on upgrading those if you don't plan on switching to hellfire ring.

3. I like that you have chosen to go with Cyclone + MoH:Circ as you did manage to get a TR crit SoJ (grats!) before they got psychotically expensive. Keeping this in mind, if you do want to get a Hellfire ring, you will absolutely need it to have crit chance in order to keep your CHC high enough to Cyclone.

I think my biggest problem is my All Resist (it is just over 200 right now) and I am thinking the only way to improve that without spending too much is to take some more FR and grab OWE as a passive instead of FF. Any suggestions on where I can get this (or some VIT) without losing too much DPS or regearing completely?

Mostly I answered this above but I would like to address the OWE vs. Fleet Footed thing because I do not go into enough detail about it in my guide.

Fleet Footed is simply a waste when you are below 100k DPS and only BARELY good at the 100k mark.

You give up a lot of DPS when you take Fleet Footed because, by moving faster, you spend LESS time hitting each monster with SW and TR. This means that unless you already had overkill DPS you are actually LOSING xp/hr by doing less damage which offsets the gain in xp/hr you get from the move speed.

Because of this, many TR monks will actually see their xp/hr stay the same or go down when switching from OWE to FF.

Use OWE until the time comes that you have geared to the 120k dps mark with enough resists to not die without it and then you will want to move on to fleet footed! :D

I also wanted to ask what you think about having the Nat's 2 piece for the 7% crit chance? I know that Nat's ring has IAS but I was thinking it would be worth the trade and I could gear around it, especially if I am using Circular Breathing. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think that Nat's is an ugly set so I personally stay as far away from it as I can.

My impeccable fashion sense aside, it is a very strong set for monks and I think using it in a TR build, despite the IAS on the the ring is perfectly fine.

The only real issue with it is you will eventually want a Hellfire ring if you are going to shoot for maxed xp/hr and then you have to choose between nat's and SoJ. It is fairly rare for a Nat's to out-perform an SoJ for the TR lifestyle and that is where most people get caught up.

My spec Variant C build does account for this if you want to look into it. There are certainly ways to play TR with lower spir/sec and higher DPS (nat's set is good for that!).

I also wanted to mention a skill that I have been using in conjunction with this build that I found to be pretty useful and that is the Mystic Ally. Particularly the Air Ally can be pretty handy for cleanup as well as DPS on the elite packs. The 100 spirit proc is very helpful as well. Just thought you may want to consider adding this as a viable skill to use with the build.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Air ally was actually brought up earlier in this guide and I did try it out for quite some time. I simply don't like it.

Because I never did xp/hr calcs with and without it I will not go so far as to say it is inefficient mathematically, but it certainly felt bad from my perspective.

If it gave a constant 2 spir/sec or something, it would be a god-send and I would be working it into all my TR builds ... but it doesn't and 100spir/2% is just too low to reasonably count on. :(

Decided to give this a shot after trying to keep up w my boy and his tr build w my wd (thought I was fast).. So I took off my IK/ias jewelry/shield(!) and made a few purchases after reading through your guide/vids.

Innas vast prices have gone up since I sold mine awhile ago, 10m for mine. Cheapest TR/SW ring was the one I picked up at 6m, skorn w LoK and had to buy yet another helm (now have 4 innas helms). Anyway, since my dex hellfires don't have cc I am stuck using a defensive ring w 5cc.. I tested the run w mantra of healing and can sustain TR 90% of the time. Am wondering and will test tonight to see if I can run this still with MoC. Anything else skill wise that I can blatantely change? After robbing bracers and belt from my dh I did save some gold there but not really sure I want to spend any more gold as of this point as this is no longer my "main" character and run MP8 stuffs w my wd and mf w my barb mp2/3.

Honestly, your setup looks pretty good.

If you can manage not dying, I would switch to the hellfire ring even w/o CHC and then move to spec variant B instead of A. Your CHC is RIGHT on the cusp of where Cyclone is better and Hellfire accounts for a LOT of xp/hr.

I could make plenty of suggested upgrades but there is nothing you actually NEED to change and it doesn't sound like you are looking for much of an investment so I would say you are good to go! :D

Thanks for your continuous support!

My pleasure!

Indeed amazing guide! I followed the budget TR guide and made a TR build for about 15m, even maintain almost identical DPS compare to my other build, well less resistance of course but for farming XP in MP0? No sweat at all.

Thanks again for the guide, I've been having headache on how fast I can farm those XP :)

Glad to hear it! Sounds like things are going well on your end!

Let me know if I can help in any way. :D
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback, Druin!

My budget isn't really that limited (I'm sitting on 180m right now) but I am trying not to spend too much more on this, as much as I like the build. I think I have already spent more on my Monk than I have spent on my Wizard main. I will definitely look into upgrading my Inna's pieces tonight with some Fire Resist and swapping out FF for OWE. I appreciate the detailed explanation of why FF is a waste for now. It's so tempting to just take every bit of Move Speed you can find since this build revolves around it.

I don't think that I will be getting a Hellfire Ring for my Monk anytime soon since I don't even have one for my Wizard yet, so I am not too worried about using the slot for Nat's Ring atm. I will see if I can find some better pieces though. Nat's ring with crit sends the prices through the roof so I am avoiding that for the time being but I'll shop around. When I was buying those Inna's pieces I wasn't exactly planning to use OWE and as you mentioned in your guide Inna's with AR are outrageously priced. I agree that I can kind of go back to the drawing board for those and see if I can find some with FR. I'm also thinking to upgrade my gloves and amulet to something with FR but we will see what I can find.

Thanks again!
Reply Quote
Druin, really nice guide.

I took a 2 month break from Monk to WW with a barb. Played with a TR monk, got excited, put some bids on some gear and came together with the beginnings of a set.

Looking at the Spec and my gear, I am pretty DPS low. Aside from not having CC on my SoJ and Xephirian (which right now I haven't been able to find a deal on) what else can I do? I know DPS of my Skorn could be 1kdps better without much effort, and I got a line on some higher Dex boots. But it seems to me my DPS issue is more than a Dex issue. Something else is keeping me under that 100kdps. Any advice?
Reply Quote
Finally, an update to the guide! It has been too long but that is the hand life deals us sometimes!

For your viewing pleasure I present the next installment to the Walkthrough/speed-run guides:
http://youtu.be/IPs9IiWRf30
In this video I cover Spec Variant B of my ~25m budget section. I use gear that was bought entirely separately from my previous gear (this means no hand-me-down uber expensive gems or self-found rich-man ammys!).
I explain what to do if you find yourself without a TR crit SoJ and without 42% Crit chance and I showcase the build getting ~74m xp/hr using Seaboot's run!
Reply Quote
Real nice video. So i'm wondering if my gear is more towards one of your variants.
Reply Quote
Hey druin i was wondering if you could take a look at my profile and see what im missing.. im really close to sustaining spirit while TR'ing with Submission, and as for the hellfire ring, i cant farm past mp2 so i have been unable to grab one yet... i have about 60m.. any suggestions would be appreciated
Reply Quote
Just something to try, it was suggested in another TR thread that people with high phys resist can actually use STI instead of OWE because reflects damage is the only REAL threat on MP0. I tried it and loved it. Something you might want to at least give a shot seeing as you have pretty nice gear and a lot of phys resist!

Now that's a great tip! I've tried it and I didn't die at all. I considered being kind of squishy part of the game, since I gained so much speed with this build, but those days are over as well!
Reply Quote
Could you clarify something in the guide, Druin? Early in the gear section of part 2:

You need ~6.75 spir/sec because you get 2 from Chant of Resonance and +47% from Templar + Guardian Path. That is a total of (6.33 +2) * 1.47 = 12.25

All of the other references lists 6.33 as a minimum spirit/sec requirement to run the full SW/Cyclone with MoC/Submission build, except that lone 6.75. Is that a typo? I'm trying to plan out how much spirit I need on a Xephirian Amulet to pull it off.
Reply Quote
Could you clarify something in the guide, Druin? Early in the gear section of part 2:

You need ~6.75 spir/sec because you get 2 from Chant of Resonance and +47% from Templar + Guardian Path. That is a total of (6.33 +2) * 1.47 = 12.25

All of the other references lists 6.33 as a minimum spirit/sec requirement to run the full SW/Cyclone with MoC/Submission build, except that lone 6.75. Is that a typo? I'm trying to plan out how much spirit I need on a Xephirian Amulet to pull it off.

Typo! :D Thanks for catching that!

I initially thought it was 6.75 and later revised it down because you don't need that much.
Reply Quote
My spirit regen on items is 5.47, which makes 10.90 with passives and templar, just enough to permanently TR. Check my gear for reference: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VvT76-2714/hero/13446403. You can take off 0.07 if you go for a 8% attack speed pants.

You will need to stop and fight elites every now and then to fill your buffer for SSS. Or if you stop for 3 seconds to pick up stuff, you have regained about 15 spirit (3 x 10.90 gained minus 15 for casting TR), which can be part of your natural flow of doing things.
Edited by VvT76#2714 on 1/9/2013 12:26 AM PST
Reply Quote

Typo! :D Thanks for catching that!

I initially thought it was 6.75 and later revised it down because you don't need that much.

Thanks for the clarification. Your guide has been very helpful for me.
Reply Quote
I would REALLY recommend getting one because it might help to solve your death to CC problem.

Currently, you are working with a spirit/sec deficit.
You have 1.93 (ammy) 0.33 (inna's set) 3 (MoH:C) 2 (CoR) * 1.47 (GP + Templar) = 10.67
You are spending 10* (1 + (0.07 + 0.08 + 0.09)) = 12.4

This means that you do not have enough spirit to TR forever, nor do you have enough spirit to use SSS:FO.

Here is how you can solve that:
1. Get a 1.9+ spir/sec inna's hat. This takes you up to ~13.5 spir/sec (a REALLY good number!!)

2. ditch the trifecta gloves. The IAS is hurting you and the CHC is low which is hurting you. You would gain money, xp/hr and effectiveness by selling them and buying 150dex 8.5%+ CHC 35%+ CHD gloves.

With these two changes you would now gain 13.5 spir/sec and lose 11.7 spir/sec.

This is a net gain while TRing which means you will always have enough spirit to use SSS:FO when you need it (elites with some sort of CC).

Assuming you don't want to go this direction, switch SSS:FO to BoH:Blazing Wrath and switch DR:Foresight to FoT:Thunderclap.

BoH doesn't cost spirit/sec to give you more damage (it snapshots into SW) and FoT:TC synergizes with SW:Cyclone to make killing elites MUCH easier.

Thanks for the advise Druin. I managed to get my hands on the gear you suggested. I feel my Vit has suffered significantly as a result of my purchases, but I cant wait to get home and try out my TR build tonight. Thanks again!
Edited by DeadPixel#1985 on 1/9/2013 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Druin, I picked up a Xeph amulet 9.5cc 1.65 SPS and 2878life/kill (the max!:) for 40m.
I've been trying it with Firestorm and Cyclone and it isn't working as well as I hoped. Exp rate seems slightly down and I often run out of spirit especially with SSS. Any advice you can give me here ? I know a tempest rush SOJ would help, but they are so expensive and I can't imagine that would help enough. My old amulet gives me 17%more dps (172k unbuffed, 197k with BoH which I keep up all the time) and a lot more spirit using Inner Storm.
Reply Quote
Sup Druin,

The road to 100 seems far far away..

/freebump
Reply Quote
A question, for TR gear option A, does the bonus from SoJ count in the >40% CHC? I am gonna have 35% CHC from gear and enchantress and then i have SoJ which gives my TR 6% critical, together making 41%, so is that enough to pull off option A?
Reply Quote
happy monk, great guide!
have gone from cookie cutter doing mp4 ~40m / hr to TR mp0 ~60m / hr

just to share on experience trying out TR without breaking the bank
(and since the current market's inflated due to the hottest build now ;)
thus more like the mid-tier TR gearing build but am not complaining with 1m exp/min

SoJ w TR/SW bonus over budget
got SoJ w holy dmg bonus, sp regen & WotHF dmg bonus
imho kills elites as fast as 7SS with the Favor (belt) holy dmg boost together with WotHF:FoF

Xen ammy w crit over budget
got ammy w sp regen but no crit
but unfortunately this occasionally leaves white trash with some hp & leaking exp
swapped out to standard CHC & CD ammy
only stopping to hit elites & tanky mobs (couple of hits suffice to kill & gains enough SP too :)

build: http://d3up.com/b/249999
haven't stacked RA though & skorn with only LoH (no LS!)
but surprisingly doable with serenity as my RD/stay alive

comments on gearing & suggestions most welcome!
Reply Quote
Good guide and enjoyed the most recent video as well, but will add that using a SOJ without SW/TR is viable (and a lot cheaper). An option regarding sustain is getting life after kill on ring/amu and go for a 500+ dex skorn, that might actually boost your DPS more for your money. It would be great with a bit more discussion about SW- Inner storm + Submission vs. Circular breathing + Firestorm for the budget build.

Currently trying to collect a gearset for collecting keys and farming a hellfire ring.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]