Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Less responding to people, more updating guide.
k thnx!

:D
Reply Quote
zomg, all that gold and loot left behind:(

waiting on the finished product. :D
Reply Quote
Druin, nice video! I just tried the build, and I have to say... the gear requirements are quite... steep.

Here are the basic gear requirements:

1. The highest possible damage
1a. ...while maintaining the highest possible CHC
1b. ... while maintaining the lowest possible weapon speed
1c. ... while maintaining the lowest possible IAS

2. Maintaining a consistent Spirit regen of at least 12 Spirit regen/sec
2a. ...without using a Flying Dragon w/ +Spirit regen

3. Enough damage mitigation to avoid a one-shot
3a. ...without using Resolve, Seize the Initiative, or One With Everything

Correct me if I'm wrong about the above summary, but that's what the essential gear setup felt like to me. I don't know about you, but I think you're asking for a lot out of people's gear. :p

So I'm awaiting the guides for us lesser-geared Monks, since most players can only achieve 2 out of 3 of these requirements at any reasonable cost.
Edited by strikerdude#1306 on 11/30/2012 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Well, I have been playing my monk since the day this game came out so it is fairly reasonable for me to have at least something close to the best gear possible.

That being said, you don't NEED the gear I have to Tempest Rush. You just need the gear I have to get 80+ million xp/hr while Tempest Rushing! :D

The lower your damage, the slower your runs will be. This is always true of any build and non-specific to mine.

1a. ...while maintaining the highest possible CHC

This is generally true of any Cyclone-based build and something I will try and address in my lower-gear builds by switching Cyclone out to aleviate this requirement.

Easily accomplished with 2h weps (Skorn).

Maintaining low IAS is the opposite of hard! Pay less money for your gear and you will get lower IAS ;)

12 spir/sec is overkill due to me using IAS gear. If you want lower spir/sec, simply remove IAS from your items. The minimum required spir/sec for TR to really work is ~10.

Assume you have: inna's hat (2), SoJ (2), Xeph ammy (2) CoR (2) Inna's set bonus (.33) = 8.33 * 1.47 (GP+Templar) = 12.245

this means you can drop up to 2 full spirit / sec from your setup. (take OWE instead of CoR if you don't have the AR? ... take a non-xeph ammy to get your DPS up there? ... ect.)

Flying dragon is a terrible weapon. Not the fault of my build particularly, every build has the "don't use flying dragon" requirement. :D

3. Enough damage mitigation to avoid a one-shot

I have successfully used this build with as little as 29k HP and 150 AR. You die sometimes but it is still better xp/hr than non-TR!

Steep, I know.

You can always drop Fleet Footed or CoR for OWE if you feel too squishy. MP0 isn't exactly the hardest place in the game to survive though.

Plus TR gives you natural immunity to most damage because it knocks mobs around, interrupts their attacks and moves you out of the way for ranges projectiles.

All in all, I would say that if someone came out and said "check out me getting 80m xp/hr with my FoT:TC SW:Cyclone build!" their gear requirement would look like this:

Simply get 200k dps 500AR 3500armor while maintaining >45% crit chance!
No problem! ;)
Reply Quote
Skorn is better than flying dragon for spirit regen, even when said flying dragon has spirit regen in it. Why? Because TR drains more spirit with faster attack speed and spirit regen on daibos doesn't make up for their fast attack speed.

If you have lesser gear you can swap mantra of conviction for mantra of healing:circular breathing, OWE instead of fleet footed.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Skorn is better than flying dragon for spirit regen, even when said flying dragon has spirit regen in it. Why? Because TR drains more spirit with faster attack speed and spirit regen on daibos doesn't make up for their fast attack speed.

If you have lesser gear you can swap mantra of conviction for mantra of healing:circular breathing, OWE instead of fleet footed.

Point 1: yup!

Point 2: I am not sure that is worth it. I will have to run tests for both ways, but MoC:Sub does a LOT for your xp/hr while Fleet has the drawback of making you spawn less Cyclones and do less overall DPS to the mobs to pass through.

The effects of Fleet may be greatly diminished if your gear isn't good enough to insa-gib mobs as you run by.
Reply Quote

The effects of Fleet are greatly diminished if your gear isn't good enough to insa-gib mobs as you run by.

FTFY
Reply Quote
View profile
These are the self-appointed, home owner kind of chores.

Someday, you too will experience the glory of buying a new vacuum cleaner and getting super excited about it!

seriously!
I waited a year before I committed to buying a vacuum. And when I did it took some time and research before I decided on a Sebo!

Did you get a Dyson? They are awesome.

Dyson has one of the worst repair percentage around. My mom and 2 best friends have Dysons and have to repair/maintain them constantly.
Sebo has SUPERIOR maintenance free satisfaction ratings and they are nearly fracking indestructible; unlike armor! :)

That being said, they ARE great vacuums, just not what I was looking for :)
Edited by KamelJabber#1103 on 11/30/2012 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
zomg, all that gold and loot left behind:(

waiting on the finished product. :D

maaaan, 20 yard pickup radius would be awesome!
Reply Quote
Hey Druin, great community work you're doing here :)
I just have a question regarding the point you made about critical hits causing overkill, thus wasting the extra dps from them. With this in mind, would you say crit dmg from gear has less value than is shown in dps sheet? I guess this comes down to how much of a % of your total dmg consists of actual TR dmg, where crits are partly redundant, compared to how much of your dmg is submission and sw, where crit dmg is added just like other sources of dmg.

Just wondering basically if it's really worth buying a 190+ cd skorn or if a 130ish would do :) Mostly interesting for your budget sections I guess.

Also am I right in thinking that a skorn with a dex/vit roll would be BiS and that attack speed is actually a negative stat on skorn? because the higher spirit cost doesnt justify the added dps.
Reply Quote
Well, I have been playing my monk since the day this game came out so it is fairly reasonable for me to have at least something close to the best gear possible.

That being said, you don't NEED the gear I have to Tempest Rush. You just need the gear I have to get 80+ million xp/hr while Tempest Rushing! :D

The context of where I was coming from was the XP/hr goal. I never said that your build was bad (if anything, your build is quite good). I'm just pointing out that to accomplish the goal of maximizing XP/hr, the gear requirements are very steep. That's all.

It's true that anyone can do a Tempest Rush / Tailwind build (I'm going to be specific with this one, since there are niche builds that use Tempest Rush without Tailwind). But using a build with the goal of maximizing XP/hr does require a very specific gear setup to pull off, which usually translates into a high cost for gear.

That's why I'm awaiting the lesser-geared versions of your guide since I can't afford all that nice stuff!

11/30/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Druin

The lower your damage, the slower your runs will be. This is always true of any build and non-specific to mine.

This is true for the vast majority of cases, but not all cases. For example, a gold farming build does not necessarily have to maximize damage -- it just needs to hit a certain threshold before it hits its max efficiency. (Yes, I know that only the gold botters care about this one, but it is a point worth noting.) Also, team players who like to use their Monks as the main tank don't really care for the highest possible damage, instead favoring damage mitigation above all else.

But to be fair, doing any kind of solo play (except for gold farming) does require the highest possible damage, regardless of build.

Easily accomplished with 2h weps (Skorn).

That's true. Skorn is the easiest solution to all these issues.

Maintaining low IAS is the opposite of hard! Pay less money for your gear and you will get lower IAS ;)

Maybe, but high DPS is usually accomplished with a mix of base damage, CHC, CD, and IAS. Removing IAS puts more burden on the other three types, which can arguably increase your gear costs.

12 spir/sec is overkill due to me using IAS gear. If you want lower spir/sec, simply remove IAS from your items. The minimum required spir/sec for TR to really work is ~10.

Assume you have: inna's hat (2), SoJ (2), Xeph ammy (2) CoR (2) Inna's set bonus (.33) = 8.33 * 1.47 (GP+Templar) = 12.245

this means you can drop up to 2 full spirit / sec from your setup. (take OWE instead of CoR if you don't have the AR? ... take a non-xeph ammy to get your DPS up there? ... ect.)

Dropping any gear piece or skill with 2 Spirit/sec actually loses a total of 2.94 Spirit/sec once Templar and Guardian's Path are taken into account.

Also, I really wanted to avoid the 4-piece Inna's w/ bonus SW requirement. This can be very expensive, but it is theoretically possible to work without Inna's if your Spirit regen is very high and you have perfect timings on your attacks. However, Inna's does make this build MUCH easier to play than without.

The reason I said +12 is because of the need to regen enough Spirit to account for Tempest Rush AND the occasional need to refresh mantra or SSS. So in practice, you actually would need more than 10 Spirit/sec regen to use this build successfully. Maybe I'm wrong about this? Because when I tested your build with 10 Spirit/sec regen, I didn't find it to be enough.

Flying dragon is a terrible weapon. Not the fault of my build particularly, every build has the "don't use flying dragon" requirement. :D

Hey, Wave of Light builds LOVE the Flying Dragon! I'd go so far as to argue that it's BiS for a Wave of Light Monk.

And of course Flying Dragon is a bad choice with your build since the IAS proc will greatly increase Tempest Rush's Spirit consumption. I only mentioned Flying Dragon to point out that, in general, ANY Daibo w/ +Spirit regen cannot be used with this build. That reduces choices in weapons for this build.

Then again, Skorn is the easiest solution to the Tempest Rush's Spirit consumption issues.

Steep, I know.

You can always drop Fleet Footed or CoR for OWE if you feel too squishy. MP0 isn't exactly the hardest place in the game to survive though.

I realize that. I'm just saying that dropping Fleet Footed moves you away from the goal of maximizing XP/hr, so Fleet Footed is mandatory. But CoR is not mandatory since it can be compensated for by even higher +Spirit Regen on gear, but again, this usually results in a gear cost increase.

All in all, I would say that if someone came out and said "check out me getting 80m xp/hr with my FoT:TC SW:Cyclone build!" their gear requirement would look like this:

Simply get 200k dps 500AR 3500armor while maintaining >45% crit chance!
No problem! ;)

Oh, those cookie-cutter people, always pushing their RMAH gear on others and saying it's nothing... LOL :p
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
11/30/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Kiaph
i was reading.. reading.. reading.. then it stopped.. WHAT HAPPENED :o

That is why the thread title is [guide] <under construction> !!! ;)

I promise I will keep working on it until it is done but I took the day off from work yesterday just to have enough time to film and edit stuff and so I had a lot of catch-up to do today.

RL > Game time for the most part so I will update this / do more testing when I can.

Stay tuned!

Hey Druin, great community work you're doing here :)
I just have a question regarding the point you made about critical hits causing overkill, thus wasting the extra dps from them. With this in mind, would you say crit dmg from gear has less value than is shown in dps sheet? I guess this comes down to how much of a % of your total dmg consists of actual TR dmg, where crits are partly redundant, compared to how much of your dmg is submission and sw, where crit dmg is added just like other sources of dmg.

Just wondering basically if it's really worth buying a 190+ cd skorn or if a 130ish would do :) Mostly interesting for your budget sections I guess.

Also am I right in thinking that a skorn with a dex/vit roll would be BiS and that attack speed is actually a negative stat on skorn? because the higher spirit cost doesnt justify the added dps.

You pretty much nailed it! Glad my explanation of damage spread hit home.

CHD is a less important stat than Average damage, crit chance (more cyclones, more frequent spikes = less spikiness) and dex which all help spread your damage.

CHD does increase the tick damage of Submission so that helps but SW doesn't function like Submission, it can crit and will do your CHD worth of damage when it does so it still spikes like TR or auto attacks.

I am getting close to the gear recommendation and explanation section which should help clear up these issues but I think you would be fine with a 130% CHD skorn as long as it has ~1300+ dps and 300+ dex.

As for the random stat, I have been told that LS isn't needed but even with 500+AR and a 4.4% LS Skorn my monk still comes close to death sometimes so I am not really sure how the non LS crowd lives. I will be testing out the non-LS theory but until then, BIS Skorns all have Lifesteal on them.

IAS Skorns are strictly downgrades because it puts an even higher burden on your monk to drop IAS gear or gain Spirit/sec. So yea!

@Striker

Too many things to quote them all. It sounds like what you are getting at is:
While this build, in the end, may provide higher xp/hour than any other given build with a maximized budget, you are worried that in the lower budget areas the specificity of the items for this build makes it less efficient than possible other builds.

If that sounds right, then it is entirely possible you are correct! I haven't done much testing without 4 piece inna's, SoJ ... ect.

I hope to be able to make this build available and at least on parity with other builds out there so that people have a viable option when they want to get away from the FoT:TC SW:C crowd.

For now, what I can definitively say is that I have video evidence showing that 80+ million xp/hour is achievable and to do it, you can use the exact build I am describing. The next set of steps will be to prove derivitive theories! :D

Before I was able to get the gear I have and I had LESS spirit/sec than APS, I was still able to use a TR + Cyclone build where I simply switched SSS for BoH:Blazing Wrath. You gain overall damage and lose kill-speed on elites.

Your xp/hr goes down but so does the gear requirement.

Because you no longer have any skills that cost spirit to cast other than TR, you only have to lose spirit slowly enough that you can refresh it at every elite pack.

The total required spirit/sec drops from ~12 to ~9 and that takes a lot of the burden off your gearing/spec.

All of this will be covered in the mid-tier section though :D
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Note: posted the final video I have recorded so far (going to have to wait people who want to see a non super gear setup! Sorry!!!)

This last video goes over some mechanics of various skills and how they work.

It is choppy but it gets the job done. :D
Reply Quote
Man posting half a thread iis just mean. Pending? *throws a 6 year old tantrum* ME WANTS INFO NOW!
Reply Quote
he has chores.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Seaboots
he has chores.
Reply Quote
Too many things to quote them all. It sounds like what you are getting at is:
While this build, in the end, may provide higher xp/hour than any other given build with a maximized budget, you are worried that in the lower budget areas the specificity of the items for this build makes it less efficient than possible other builds.

If that sounds right, then it is entirely possible you are correct! I haven't done much testing without 4 piece inna's, SoJ ... ect.

Yup, that's exactly where I'm getting at! Thank you for understanding. I only have mid-tier gear and only a few million gold, so I can only test the mechanics of the build on Hell. Unfortunately, I can't fully take advantage of the build even on MP0 Inferno since I can't hit all three gear requirements without spending hundreds of millions of gold!

11/30/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Druin
I hope to be able to make this build available and at least on parity with other builds out there so that people have a viable option when they want to get away from the FoT:TC SW:C crowd.

I can definitely say this: Your build does beat cookie-cutter hands down at XP/hr. But I think it should be noted that your build isn't designed to be general-purpose like cookie-cutter -- it's specifically designed for XP/hr. People shouldn't even think about using this build for key farming or uber-boss runs, both of which require high MP levels and go against the design of the build.

But this is an awesome build, Druin! Very fun stuff!
Edited by strikerdude#1306 on 11/30/2012 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
I posted this question in the other main post but you seem to have the final knowledge on this question Does the crit chance of tempest rush (on a SOJ) get added to the final crit chance,or is it a seperate crit? I ask this because I use both the sweeping winds % and the tempest rush crit chance and was wondering witch is more effective . I am able to stack 34% sweeping winds as well as 24% crit ( I think, can't remember off hand) tempest rush. I keep flipping between the two and can't decide witch is better...Thx for any help..
Reply Quote
Been waiting for this Druin - vids look great and the guide is shaping up well :)

sticky definitely requested on this one!!

11/30/2012 01:23 PMPosted by KamelJabber
maaaan, 20 yard pickup radius would be awesome!

Yeah i paid a bit for some pickup radius items and have not looked back - not only do i get a bunch of exp but all that gold is going in my pockets :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]