Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

With the buff to Wave Of Light - Wall of Light will it be better to change from SSS to WOL?
Reply Quote
So... with the new patch notes being released/datamined. TR a goes up in a bunch of damage and SW does slightly. Since/If snapshotting is gone. Will BoH + FoT be the new go to? I feel like getting foresight to activate every 30 seconds is more trouble than it's worth without snapshotting...?

Appreciate the comments Druin, I had my gems over on my Barb for Ubers so now he should be fully stocked. Definitely agree with the comments you gave to a lesser geared Monk on Physical resist being good on reflect mobs, I think 300% all resist plus an extra 150 or so phy resist works perfectly.

Thoughts on the patch notes? Also maybe hybriding off into a typical Bell Build will be useful with similar jewelry and more resists if the upper MP's become tasty.
Edited by KingEight#1448 on 1/15/2013 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hello Druin! Hope my post won’t be tl;dr. For you, at least.

Used to play Monk when I first started Diablo 3. Back when I was still a "noob". Only months after I quit the Monk (back in 1.0.4, he remained a paragon level 22 “ruin”) and began experimenting with other classes did I start to read about speedfarming runs, best classes threads and so on. I stopped for a month or two on the Witch Doctor. Using a great build and pretty cheap gear + perfect gems in all slots (little less than 100m overall - cheap by the standards of the 1.0.5 patch and the radiant gem crysis), I built a 150k dps unbuffed bear-spammer. I thought WD was the best. I know, I know, barb was/is OP, but I could only achieve the same speed with 500m gear, gold which I never had / will have considering recent drop/crap rate.

Took the WD to paragon level 56, generated 200 euros with him (I was lucky on few item drops) then got severely bored of him / farming act 3. I would have literally puked if I saw more bears. Sold all his gear, got 75m overall due to price decline, then quit Diablo 3 for one month and a half. Came back recently, didn’t know what to play or IF to bother with the game anymore considering the lack of patches and new non-facepalm content. All I had were 75milion gold.

This long build-up intro was just to underline how much I’d like to thank you for the guide I found by mistake. On a random thread in Europe about best speedfarmer classes, a dude said in reply to another, I quote: “f*ck your unoriginal barb, tempest rush monk ftw”. Started to google it up and found this thread.

Your post was awesome, enjoyed reading all of it and I really appreciate the time you and your friends / inspirations put into creating this close-to-perfect TR guide-for-dummies AND experience. Moving with 50% ms and killing everything in my path just by holding down the right-click isn’t dumbing me down, on the contrary, never had so much fun. Hope this feeling will last and maybe, MAYBE I will someday hit paragon level 100 with this one.

- Enough praises for you, now onto business, for I have a few “nuance” questions. 4 to be precise.

1.) Firstly, please check my build first (gear/skill-set/stats) and tell me something. 440AR, 104k dps unbuffed, 4k armor, 30k hp, 44% CHC, 318% CHD, almost 2k hp per sec life regen. Is it decent for a 70m buy? (cheked and countercheked items for hours on AH finding the best stat combo/price). Even got a 6 pickup radius upg, which feels enough considering 1.0.7 radius buff incoming. All I have left are 5m and hopefully tons of hours of future farming. So no upgrades anytime soon. But IF there would be an eventual upgrade, what would I need to change (besides switching to LS Skorn) without breaking either my AR or Spirit Regen or a 20-30m barrier per upgrade?

2.) I understand perfectly the SW:Cyclone snapshot mechanics. Except one thing. Without MoC:Submission (I am using Circular Breathing, will explain why in point 4) , when I get foresight, faith in the light and blazing wrath buffs on, I activate SW at exactly 186k dps, which feels really good. Now, my real confusion. (I cannot get an answer myself since at mp0 everything dies kinda quickly anyway) :
So I get 3 stacks of Cyclone at 186k dps. I move arround, melting enemies, but there’s always a point where the stacks “die” without finding a new enemy/ barrel to hit. In those blank moments I saw that I can spam-recast SW:cyclone by simply pressing the button, until I find new monsters. I keep all 3 stacks when I simply recast, but do I keep the 186k dps snapshot effect, or when I recast it is using my current 104k dps, even though the stacks aren’t reset?

3.) Is Tempest Rush a “breakable” skill during its activation? As in, can monster attacks which reach you make it stop even for a milisecond, making it require a 2nd cast? I ask this because sometimes (especially when it is laggy as hell) even though I don’t move the right mouse button finger not one atom, TR sometimes recasts itself, costing me a hurting additional 15 Spirit. Why hurting? This brings me to my 4th and final point.

4.) I feel bad for not being able to use MoC: submission. No matter how much I tried rotating the skills (inner storm, templar, passives, circular breathing, northern winds) I cannot get more than 9.08 spirit per second with Submission + templar. This … sucks. This 9.08 isn’t enough to keep my spirit globe up, especially with TR INDEED consuming more spirit on zig-zagging AND the problem that occurs in point 3. Any tips? I really feel like I am missing out on something by not having MoC:Submission.

The only good thing is that with Circular breathing + templar I get a whooping 13.59 spirit regen per sec. And since I don’t like/need either SSS OR the templar, I ditched him and got the scoundrel for the extra 3% crit chance, and still am at 12.30 spirit per sec.

Now, should I think about getting the templar, staying at 13.59 spirit per sec, and getting IAS on gloves/ring without worries? Is the IAS dps boost so relevant? And if so, I’d still need to stay under 1.25 IAS, right?
Or ditch SoJ , get templar (I’d still be at 10.7 spirit per sec), and get a trifecta dex ring? A trifecta with 4.5% crit chance, 6 % IAS, 30% crit dmg, 60 dex gives me an 20k flat dps increase and 4.5% increased chance to trigger cyclones. What do you think?

Sorry, I can talk endlessly, too bad we are in different regions. Hope you can clear these things for me, not feeling like playing “hardcore” until I know all the ins and outs of this build. Good job again and HOORAY for the 1.0.7 changes to the monk (TR damage goes to 155% from 85% and 3 stack of SW now give 60% dmg not 45%!) . Do you think these changes can counterract the snapshot nerf-fix they have in mind?

Have a nice day!
Reply Quote
Played around on the PTR. BoH plus the damage increases to the other skills feels about the same if not better than pre 1.07. I think we're still in business gentlemen.
Reply Quote
Hello Druin,

Motivated by your great guide I decided to invest some gold to acquire gears to test out this build. Spent around 10M on a Helm, a Belt, a pair of Gloves, and an SoJ, and dusted off the Skorn sitting in my stash.

I managed to reach 12.25 spirit generation with MoH:CB on. However, when running with TR, I noticed my spirit pool is draining instead of keeping at full tank. Thus I cannot keep perma-TR (which I assume it would be the case given my spirit generation rate). Am I missing something obvious here?
Reply Quote
I think 1.0.7. a nerf to TR farming BECAUSE they remove the snapshot mechanic from skills. Should of have it wear off, when you swap gear, not this.

Buffing the SW up meant you could kill trash at a distance with it. The TR damage buff is nice, but the range sucks compared to SW. And on SW you now loose 18% from DR:FS+30% from BF:FitL =48% damage in total 8even more the way Bf damage is calculated but just to point out what i mean it's ok to say this. As i am running it, the damage buff of the increased stack damage compensates the BoH:BW buff of 15%. Cyclone damage up isn't significant imo, since the proc rate of TR isn't that great.

I assume with the new SW without snapshot you will have to circle around more now, in order to melt down the trash. Pity they leav gear swap untouched and nerfed what seems legit namely the snapshot of skill buffs. Cookie cutter build monks still gonna happily swap to their LS skorn, snapshot and then run around wit 60k dps, in a 50 mil gear set @3 aps and destroy mp10, while TR suffers a nerf.

way to go, blizz.
Reply Quote
I think 1.0.7. a nerf to TR farming BECAUSE they remove the snapshot mechanic from skills. Should of have it wear off, when you swap gear, not this.

Buffing the SW up meant you could kill trash at a distance with it. The TR damage buff is nice, but the range sucks compared to SW. And on SW you now loose 18% from DR:FS+30% from BF:FitL =48% damage in total 8even more the way Bf damage is calculated but just to point out what i mean it's ok to say this. As i am running it, the damage buff of the increased stack damage compensates the BoH:BW buff of 15%. Cyclone damage up isn't significant imo, since the proc rate of TR isn't that great.

I assume with the new SW without snapshot you will have to circle around more now, in order to melt down the trash. Pity they leav gear swap untouched and nerfed what seems legit namely the snapshot of skill buffs. Cookie cutter build monks still gonna happily swap to their LS skorn, snapshot and then run around wit 60k dps, in a 50 mil gear set @3 aps and destroy mp10, while TR suffers a nerf.

way to go, blizz.

TR damage buffed to 155% of weapon damage, so you just 1 shot stuff more. Duh.
Reply Quote
does this build still work???
Reply Quote
snapshot gets nerfed, but SW damage is increased a bit... not sure if this will be a net gain or loss... anyone test yet?
Reply Quote
Wheres Druin?1?1?
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Jhenn
Wheres Druin?1?1?

Gonna go out on a limb here and say.... at work?
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 11:13 AMPosted by DeadPixel
Wheres Druin?1?1?

Gonna go out on a limb here and say.... at work?

he has stated that this thread is his day job, so thats no excuse!! :)
Reply Quote
Yea deadpixel!
Reply Quote
I ran a couple runs last night on the PTR, and will run a couple more tonight, but seemingly the TR damage buff directly kills monsters faster when I'm just running BoH over BF in my spare slot. I'm also running the Submission spec with 7 sided for elites. I've even dropped foresight, just because I find it annoying to keep up, without the snapshot impact, however that could be very wrong.

Overall I'm skeptical that upper level MP's might end up winning out EXP wise depending from the impact of the patch changes, so I think we'll be ok long term.
Reply Quote

true, BUT as i pointed out, it is the range of SW that makes it more valuable when it comes to xp farming, because it melts the trash in a fairly big radius. TR has a far smaller range so you have to run around more in order to hit and that again slows you down and impacts on your xp/hr. Has to be tested though.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 12:34 PMPosted by XotoX

true, BUT as i pointed out, it is the range of SW that makes it more valuable when it comes to xp farming, because it melts the trash in a fairly big radius. TR has a far smaller range so you have to run around more in order to hit and that again slows you down and impacts on your xp/hr. Has to be tested though.

FYI, Druin has already stated his opinion that TR farming is better in 1.0.7
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593622294?page=1
Reply Quote
Hey there.
I have decided to join the TR wagon. Ill propably end on the mid tier variation B (So i wont need crit chance) but im intrigued at the prospect of firestorm. Im getting confused by Druins comment:

Druin:
Note: Submission only does 3.49 damage for every 1 damage from Overawe if you use Sweeping Winds: Firestorm so PLEASE, if you are going to use Overawe, couple it with Firestorm!!!

What does this mean? First part of the sentence states that firestorm+submission deals greater damage compared to overawe. Last part of the sentence says, that Overawe must be coupled with firestorm.

Should I buy gear before 1.07 skyrockets TR gear, or wait till Druin has mathcrafted the change the snapshotting "bugfix" will result in?
Reply Quote
Thats exactly what im waiting on I want to buy gear now!
Reply Quote
hi all. first of all i dont know the OP is still on this thread but i just want to thank him alot because this guide is just awesome and accurate.

this is my experience on my baby monk, i hope it will help newbies.

iam an EU player. this is my profile.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Morph-2682/hero/15670777

i hit para100 with my DH and after some time i just wanna paragon with some other class. i had all 5 of the classes on lvl60 and even some paragon on them but i was not much experienced with any of them excluding DH.

i just tought i can use some of my DH equipment and decided Monk. Played a few levels like a glass cannon but high DPS monk. then i realized i need resistance then i stack phys ress as all my DH items had all ress or phys ress.

when i was like para 10 i decided to go that TR route. i asked for some help on general chat and friendlist. a few of them helped actually but now i dont use any of those advices :)

after i realized i was not so efficient i googled for a guide and found this thread.

on the beginning i just read a few of parts of this and i thought i was OK. that time i was using almost all my DH gear.

while i was reading all of this, i played for 10-15 levels (which was very quick lol) and tried different setup, variants etc, i came up with the very smilar build of the "best build". the only difference i use OWE instead of FleetFlooded.

on that journey, its unbelievle but i changed most of my DH items with the proper items for EVEN CHEAPER and now iam way more efficient. i was like almost 200k when started to TRing, and now iam 110k lol.

these are the changes i did. now i realized i was all mistaken. i wish i had read this whole at the beginning.

1st i dropped my Nats reflection/ Nats bloody footprints combo and started using my DHs hellfire (5cc,20Cd,50physress) and bought an ice climbers w/o move speed.

2nd i realized that 140dex, ias and 4cc lacunis are drainning my spirit so i changed them with some rare bracer. but now i did need capped move speed so i bought some rare boots.

3rd i changed my 180dex,ias,10cc,CD gloves with some 10cc,CD,150+dex but vit/allres/phys/gloves

4th i changed my +bonus to SW dmg SoJ with, CC bonus to TR SoJ. and YES the TR bonus > SW bonus on that ring.

5th i had a 1400+dps, 190+ cd, 300+ dex, 6 ias skorn, i changed it with 1300+ dps, 300 dex BUT 5% LifeSteal Skorn.

after reading this i dropped Blazing Wrath and start using Binding Flash but not using MoC:Sub. i was using that sprit regen mantra. i didnt had spirit issue but most of the time i needed to go back/do circles to kill packs. so i moved Varian A,B,C to the initial spec and made my decision.

6th. it was not easy but i dropped my avg dmg,100+dex, 9.5CC,90+ CD amu with some "crappy" 8cc, 2+ spirit regen amulet.

lol i think that was the best decision. i changed that regen mantra with MoC:Sub and now i am just flying through experience.

iam not a billionere as i have never used RMAH and never bought in game gold with real money but i had couple of hundreds. thats what cost me to achive this on EU server. btw cant remember the exact prices of some of them.

~100m LS skorn
~40m amulet
25m rare boots
10m bracer
LOL 2m gloves
10m SoJ
i dont remember the prices on Helm and Belt as i bought them in the beginning when i decided to play TR monk. but not much. especially belt.

DH included items:

my hellfire.
innas chest
innas pants
vile ward
oh and gems.

anyway my English sucks. and my post is kinda long. but i really wanted to THANK Druin and maybe my experience helps you.

i hope you wont do my mistakes and keep your money to buy the exact pieces which Druin explained according to the Spec/variant you decided.

gl all :)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey everyone, just thought I should pop in and let y'all know that I have, by no means, abandoned this thread!

The 1.0.7 PTR is simply too juicy to pass up and I am 100% focused on that (99% of which is simply FINALLY getting the chance to kill people!)

As soon as the blood-frenzy of pvp wears off, I will go right back to testing TR stuff (1.0.7 has changed some fundamental things for us) and posting daily on this thread!

As always, thank you all so much for your support!

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]