Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Now, the MAJOR one. The templar's added spirit regen is miscalculated by the game. Either that, or spirit regen has diminishing returns too. I have 9.83 spirit regen without the templar using my current build. He adds 12% spirit regenerated. That should get me exactly to 11 spirit regen / sec. All i have is 10.7.

yea i checked it and as i saw its because of the +% spirit regen he gives. other than Templar we have The Guardian's Path passive which gives +% spirit regen. so when u change that passive the bonus of 12% of Templar calculated correct. with that passive selected its something like the %12 of added %35. so its not linear. but i think its correct.

Druin can explain this better i think :)

From what I know, that means +% spirit regen indeed has diminishing returns. That is a shame. Either that or the +%spirit regen is calculated 2 times. 35% out of your static spirit regen + 12% out of your static spirit regen, not 12% of the previous total.
Reply Quote
Hey Druin and all other guys helping new-comers to this awesome build :)

This is my gear and build I currently use: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tinkiwinki-2870/hero/20220184

I've got two question for you:

- how can I improve significantly my dps without losing survavibility? atm I can farm pretty fast in MP0 and rarely die (only for beeing lazy and/or distracted). I tryed to switch some gear (example: ammy without LoH or some armour with more crit/dex but less resists) and usually I die one time per run :/

- regarding my gear atm; my current set of skills are ok? I tryed to use MoC: Submission but I don't see some significantly changes i.e. I'm kinda more "safe" with my current build

Thanks in advance and good work!

PS: sorry for my english (not my native language)
Edited by tinkiwinki#2870 on 1/19/2013 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 11:09 AMPosted by tinkiwinki
how can I improve significantly my dps without losing survavibility?

Thats the thing about TR. You kinda hit this 130k-ish wall if you want to constantly have TR and sw up. If you just TR between mobs, then more options I suppose. If you don't want to sacrifice any ehp then just get a higher dps scorn. If you start dropping some all resist you can probably get gloves with crit dmg and crit chnc and similar dex. Also boots could get some more dps at expense of survive.
I'm not to sure your style since you don't have much gear based spirit regen.
Reply Quote
If they nerf black damage.... yikes : (
Reply Quote

From what I know, that means +% spirit regen indeed has diminishing returns. That is a shame. Either that or the +%spirit regen is calculated 2 times. 35% out of your static spirit regen + 12% out of your static spirit regen, not 12% of the previous total.

crit damage works this way too. if i have 300 crit damage and crit for 100k and i add 50 more crit damage to my gear my crits wont hit for 150k now....

its not diminishing returns, its math
Reply Quote
View profile
ok, so i built myself a poor man's TR suit. hopefully, i did alright. i went without inna's.

on my profile now, but i upped my pants to higher dex and vit ones, and swapped out my attack speed gloves for 10 crit, high dex ones.

hopefully, i didn't just waste my gold! is 98k dps enough to do this? my tyrael's gives me added damage to demons...

i did it last night for awhile using my old attack speed gloves, and while i could TR almost infinitely, i wasn't gaining spirit while TR'ing either, which lead to me not having sss ready when i needed it.

your thoughts?? how did i do???
Edited by MrMojoRisin#6850 on 1/20/2013 2:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
I built a tempest rush set, got rid of all my attack speed and so have 1.00 attacks per second. I actually really like using the longer lasting sweeping wind, but I would love to be able to switch to the MoC: submission rune. Any advice?
Edited by Hope#1846 on 1/20/2013 5:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Druin, as a DH player, this guide helped me IMMENSELY with the monk I am currently leveling. I now know how to do spec's a lot better, and this thread provided me ALOT of insight as to builds, gear, general and advanced monk knowledge and didn't leave me scratching my head confused as hell.

So while my monk may not be 60 yet, I know I'll actually play it, and actually have a few ideas now of how to enjoy my monk better WHILE being efficient!

Thank you sir, you've done a good thing here, I hope the universe is good to you.
Reply Quote
Hey Druin,

Awesome build. I've been using it the last month or so and earning some pretty awesome experience, dropping a ton more legendaries and having more fun in general.

I recently came into some gold courtesy of a very nice Witching Hour drop.

I have 114,000,000 to spend, I want to upgrade my Skorn to higher DPS/CD and also my Xeph Amulet to something with high cc.

I can't do both for the gold I have above, but I'm getting close.

Which upgrade will help me the most if I can't get both with the amount above. I seem to be looking at 75m for each item, roughly. Both items are pretty trash on my Monk right now (See profile)

Thanks in advance, man!
Reply Quote
Hi Druin, ive been trying out TR build on 1.07 ptr cause ive gotten bored with my barb and feel like trying something different.

I'm going for a build that can run in atleast mp1 and i think what i have should be able to do the job.

Stats are:
130k DPS (149k DPS with BOH:BW)
416 Res (OWE)
28k Life
4k Armor
37.5 Crit (43.5 TR Crit)
2870 LOK
416 LPS

Do you think this would be good enough for atleast mp1 in 1.07? (cant check myself yet cause of the copy restriction)
Can you recommend any other changes that i might need to make to mp1 TR build viable (without goin into mega coin territory)

Edit: Just need another opinion. Not sure if i should go with MOH:CIRC/SW:CYC OR MOC:SUB/SW:INNERS, they seem about the same from what ive tested so far
Edited by CoronaC#6163 on 1/21/2013 3:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
LOL I feel sry for anyone trying to gear a TR atm...

I bought out my 2 sp regen 7 cc xeph ammy for only 60 mil. Ammy prices for this build are ridiculous now.
Reply Quote
LOL I feel sry for anyone trying to gear a TR atm...

I bought out my 2 sp regen 7 cc xeph ammy for only 60 mil. Ammy prices for this build are ridiculous now.

Mine was 500k ;)
Reply Quote

Now, the MAJOR one. The templar's added spirit regen is miscalculated by the game. Either that, or spirit regen has diminishing returns too. I have 9.83 spirit regen without the templar using my current build. He adds 12% spirit regenerated. That should get me exactly to 11 spirit regen / sec. All i have is 10.7.

yea i checked it and as i saw its because of the +% spirit regen he gives. other than Templar we have The Guardian's Path passive which gives +% spirit regen. so when u change that passive the bonus of 12% of Templar calculated correct. with that passive selected its something like the %12 of added %35. so its not linear. but i think its correct.

It's because the +% SR buffs dont stack exponentially.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hopefully you all had a wonderful weekend! Time for more responses! :D

Nice guide!

I was doing some thinking and realized that I always one shot mobs when I crit, doesn't that make CD much worse? Haven't really found a good calculation of TR damage, but isn't it based on "white" dmg and not paper doll dps?

I play on EU and got into the TR game quite early, so I snatched up a nice amulet for cheap. It seems like it is really good so I'm not sure if I should sell for other gear and/or cash or if I should keep it. What might it be worth? (figure you guys should know best)

Xephirian Amulet

164 dex
2.12 Spirit regen
8% CHC
39% GF
264 life per sec
37% MF

Thanks!

You are correct that if you are 1 shotting mobs, CHD is no longer that good of a stat!
You will note, my Skorn has REALLY high DPS but rather low CHD. I did this quite purposefully because CHD simply isn't as good as average damage when you are over-killing a lot of the time.

That is a VERY nice Xeph ammy and, if you were on the America's, I would offer you large sums of gold for it personally as it happens to fit exactly what I am looking for! :D

I estimate its price to be ~200-250m.

01/17/2013 09:21 PMPosted by SeeFu
i'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong w/ my build. I'm at 42.5% crit chance and I can't seem to get the cyclones to spawn. Am I suppose to hit mobs a certain way? If you view my profile it might not show the actual build I use w/ cyclones, but its basically a duplicate of spec a 25mill build.

Hello SeeFu!

Honestly, I am not sure how I can best help you. Your gear looks great (nice 50% CHD Hellfire btw!) and your spec looks fine.

Cyclones will never proc as much as they do with the cookie-cutter build so perhaps you are just expecting more out of the skill than it can give.

It usually only takes ~1 cyclone to kill ~5-6 mobs because each cyclone hits 6 times and can do massive damage.

You generally want to aim for "center mass" of large groups of monsters because TR is an AoE skill and the more targets it hits, the more cyclones you will spawn.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful, but perhaps if you just play with it for a bit longer, you will start to get a feel for what paths result in the best cyclone production!

Hello Druin,

This is a very good answer for me! Thanks for your explanations of the possible stutter. I guess I have to settle for this effect and try FoT the big guys to fill up the tank when it almost runs out.

Given the possibility for me to run either variance Spec A or B, I tried both setups. From my limited runs I found out that Spec B gives about 10% more (my 32mil/hr for Spec A vs 36mil/hr for Spec B). This probably is due to my relatively low CRC (40.5%). Do you have any insight on how the different variance Specs perform related to each other given a same gear set that meet both requirements of the Specs?

Hello Balrog,

Your results (10% less xp with A vs B at 40.5% CHC) fit my experience perfectly!

Because Spec C requires different gear than Specs A and B this is generally the breakdown:
at CHC < 42%, B > A
at CHC = 42%, B = A
at CHC > 42%, A > B

This is definitely subject to user playstyle, gear and variation in runs but it is my "general" rule of thumb.

Love your guide!

Ever since I followed this guide and changed out my spec/gear accordingly, I've been having so much more fun. Thank you!

Thanks for the support!! <3

@Druin

welcome back and thank you again for detailed answers you made :)

@Andrew

hi mate. i read your journey too and its similar to mine and i guess you are also a gamer like me who likes to theorycraft etc.

i am on EU too. actually willing to add you if it is OK with you too.

gl all :)

You are most welcome!

Really nice guide, helped me understand monk mechanics better.

Thanks a lot Druin. Also I was wondering if you could help me a little :D...
I just leveled a monk with the hope that TR will be really fun thing to do. Now, I got some equipment from my DH, and about 150M for the moment, but maybe another 200M from future sells already posted.
The thing I would like to ask you is what items should I keep from my DH in order to maximize my dps/sustain life for my monk. As I understand, I will buy a nice radiance with spirit regen and maybe CHC. Also a Soj, and xephiran and skorn if money will allow that (don't know the prices yet)... The skorn is really expensive with LS on it, so maybe with some other nice mod, but be able to kill reflect?
This is my monk:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dassem-2850/hero/24485540
Please enlight me what should I buy with my 150M and what should I keep.Thanks.

Hello Dassem!

I am really glad that my guide was helpful for you!

Generally speaking, you are going to want to follow one of the mid-tier builds instead of the end-game build when you are first starting out.

None of these builds require a LS skorn and all of them are designed to get good xp/hr without breaking the bank!

A cool 150m will get you a pretty nice, 70m+ xp/hr suit without issue.

As for "what items do I buy?" I really can't answer that any better than I do in my guide. Each case if different and everyone has their own opinion of what is "good" so it will be up to you to try and figure out which items work best for you!

Sorry for being a prat about it ;)

GL!

I'm having problems finding regen xeph amulets, been mostly focusing on other char so I lent my friend some of my monk gear. Then I find the soj on my monk right now =/

I find that I'm still pretty squishy since my allres and vitality is pretty low. Should I look for some vit on a skorn (I found the one I'm using right now)/ anything to help with survivability?

Wow, you found a 1462DPS 200CHD skorn!

Honestly, that is the kind of item you don't want to replace. It's sad that it doesn't have more dex or a good sustain roll, but you should look to make up for that in other places as that skorn alone will make your dps respectable.

The best thing I can suggest would be to get a high Life on Kill ammy with CHC and Dex and maybe CHD.

The LoK will help you live while you are TRing.

If you are having any trouble at all with deaths, you are going to want to drop fleet footed.

1 death per 2 runs will actually lose you more xp than fleet footed is gaining you so it is only worthwhile as a passive when you are nearly 100% death free.

You have plenty of AR and Vit so I would say, replace FF with STI and you should basically never die.

Nice monk bud!

01/19/2013 01:36 AMPosted by Andrew
------------- At the end of the comment there are some interesting observations -------------

Hey Andrew!

No problem at all, I prefer receiving a detailed response after a couple of days, rather than one hour later to just see "hey lolz wowowowowo nice thx man gj". Universally valable for everyone.

Yea, I can't stand that kind of response. Just no point in it. I will admit though, it can get frustrating to spend a lot of time on a detailed response and then have the EXACT same question asked 2 posts later. :P

I will always endorse people who put such an effort in what they are doing and do it with pleasure for the sake of others. Patience and generosity are rare virtues today, and I can say this even though I am only 19. I feel more like part of your generation than mine. What I also enjoy is that your thread is an oasis of positiveness, from everybody, keep up the good work!

<3

Keeping it positive is one of my main goals here. Actually, being positive is one of things I strive for in life in general. Hence being "the happy monk" :D

Even though I feel "naked" without a Hellfire ring, I simply cannot make myself farm keys / organs again. Took 12 rings to make a Decent ring for my WD and I was so exhausted that it traumatised me. This says a lot since 35% XP means, like, instead of playing 1000 hours, I 'd play just 650 to reach a certain point, but I will not farm that ring again. I'll just wait for 1.0.7 and get onto MP 1-2 for 25%-50% more xp.

Plus, I can't farm keys on mp6-7 nor do uber bosses on mp7-8 (like I could with my WD) simply cause I don't have an LS Skorn, and one that is at least 1360 dps as my current LoK Skorn and has a minimum of 5% LS is 100-150m on EU servers right now.

As for SoJ, one like you described is, again, 50-60m, BUT I found a decent one I think, it has 5% holy damage, 27% dmg versus elites, 1.90 spirit / sec and 4% TR crit chance. This one was 4m :D Felt like a boss when I used buyout on it.

I had a feeling that this might be the case. I have found that when people who have a relatively strong grasp on the game and relatively good gear don't have good/any Hellfire rings, it's because that type of gameplay just doesn't worth for them.

That is why I presented a second, no-hellfire option! :D

That SoJ is a good one and at 4m it was CHEAAAAAAAAP grats!

Indeed, an SSD would be sweet, my internet is more than ok and I know my HDD is the problem. I fixed the problem anyway to some extent since I noticed it happens only the first time I open Diablo 3 after my PC is closed. I just load the act, go to all the map waypoints in my run, move arround a little so that things load up, then exit, re-enter the act and everything is nice and smooth. Random recasts are 90% gone.

Glad to hear that you sorta fixed it. SSD is pretty smexy ... I recommend if you ever have the option! :D

Until I get a balance of at least 100m again, I am forced to stick to Spec variant C (or use the SoJ I got and go to A) since what I must "urgently" upgrade is my Skorn(@100m), get a Xeph ammy with at least 6% CHC and 2 spirit regen (@100m again) and a better SoJ (50-60m). Even then, my priority would be the Skorn, so I can run on higher mp's too (of course, for the sake of loot runs, not xp/hour, mp0-1 are consacrated for that)

I honestly believe that a high DPS LS Skorn is the best possible item a true TR monk can buy. The issue is, your weapon is usually your most expensive item and LS Skorns are not exactly the bee's knees for high MP.

If, like me, you have no interest in anything that TR isn't a part of, LS Skorn is just sooooooooo good! :D
(To be fair, I am trying to make a viable MP10 2h Skorn build as we speak ... so maybe it won't always be so bad) ;)

First, the minor one. The 3 set bonus of Inna is a major letdown. 0,33 spirit /sec. TR-ing end spec could be achieved without Xeph amulet if someone pushed the idea to them to buff this bonus to 2-3 spirit / sec. Which would be logical too. It is a damned set after all.

Yup. At least it is SOME spirit/sec. Could be worse ;)

The best way to think about things in DIII is to imagine that EVERY bonus is simply a stat in your stat sheet.

In the case of the Templar and GP, both add to the stat "bonus % spirit generation" and thus, they do not multiply each other in the same way that Dex, CHC or CHD do not multiply each other. It's just another stat-line.
Reply Quote
Hell again Druin, welcome back to your home-base-thread.
I'm very happy @ my current character state. Got some upgrades this week(end) and got to 137k dps unbuffed. I snapshot SW at 210k dps. (I focused deeply on Spec variant C and I currently sit at 47% CHC and 436% CHD + all the other stats) . Feels good man! Now I simply can't buy anything better for Spec C, I perfected it and will be moving on after 1.0.7 slowly to Spec A / Endgame spec.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Andrew-2145/

Check it out! Have a great night.

Damn, the profile hasn't updated yet to show the new Skorn. Besides the new rings / amulets I got a better Skorn. From 290 dex and 130 CHD to 200 CHD and 340 dex
Edited by Andrew#2145 on 1/21/2013 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

Just to make this 100% clear:

Math:
Assume you have 10 spirit/sec (exactly) from gear/skills.

This 10 spir/sec is then increased by 1 + bonus_spir_%

The bonus_spir_% stat is only found in two places in the game right now, Guardian's Path (35%) and the Templar follower (12%).

If you have just GP:
10 * 1.35 = 13.5 spir/sec

If you have just Templar:
10 * 1.12 = 11.2 spir/sec

If you have BOTH GP and Templar:
10 * 1+(0.12+0.35) = 10 * 1.47 = 14.7 spir/sec

bonus_spir_% has diminishing returns in the same way that every stat in the game does.

The more IAS you have, the less each additional 1% of IAS will increase your DPS relative to your total DPS.

This is the same for CHC, CHD, Dex, ect.

It is NOT true diminishing returns because, if you have 10 spir/sec, and you get 10% bonus_spir_%, you gain 1 spir/sec. If you get ANOTHER 10% bonus_spir_% for a total of 20%, you gain ANOTHER 1 spir/sec.

The actualy gain per 1% of bonus_spir_% is the same at all levels of the stat. This means it does NOT have true diminishing returns.

This is different from say, dodge% per dex which actually decreases as you gain more dex.

Hey Druin and all other guys helping new-comers to this awesome build :)

This is my gear and build I currently use: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tinkiwinki-2870/hero/20220184

I've got two question for you:

- how can I improve significantly my dps without losing survavibility? atm I can farm pretty fast in MP0 and rarely die (only for beeing lazy and/or distracted). I tryed to switch some gear (example: ammy without LoH or some armour with more crit/dex but less resists) and usually I die one time per run :/

- regarding my gear atm; my current set of skills are ok? I tryed to use MoC: Submission but I don't see some significantly changes i.e. I'm kinda more "safe" with my current build

Thanks in advance and good work!

PS: sorry for my english (not my native language)

Hello Tinkiwinki! (I feel silly saying that)

That is a very nice Spec C monk! well done!

You are now at the point where you will have to make a choice.
Option A: You think TR is fun for xp/hr and you like it but you don't want to invest a lot in it because as soon as you ding 100 you are switching back to duel/wield and that will be that.

If this is the case, you are pretty much good to go. You might want to switch to a higher DPS LoK Skorn but generally you are fine.

Option B: You think that TR is fun enough that investing some serious time and effort into making it really good could be worth your while.

If you feel this way, here are the things you are going to want to change:
Skorn.
You need a high dps skorn. It doesn't NEED LS, but it needs to have either 1350+ DPS or 180%+ CHD (preferably both).
Your CHD is really low right now and it is hurting your DPS (even though I don't usually recommend CHD).

Gloves/Boots.
You will want to make the switch to rare gloves + zuni boots. This will TANK your AR so you will want to invest in AR zuni boots or get phys resist on both of them.
The gloves NEED CHD on them because, like I said, you have low CHD.
The zuni boots will be a pretty big DPS upgrade all on their own.

Ammy.
You need the LoH for now, but you won't want it forever. Eventually you will get comfortable enough with the playstyle to not die with 0 LoH 0 LS and ~2000 LoK alone.
When this happens you are going to want to snag a high DPS ammy with CHC CHD and lots of Dex. Get some LoK on the ammy as well if you can.

Ring.
Wailing host is a great ring for Spec C, but Spec C is the entry level TR spec. You will want to move to a SoJ if you plan on staying and that means you can drop Exalted Soul and take STI instead. This one change will probably end your problem of dying all on its own!

I would assume that MoC:Sub would be worse for you because you are at the required 42% CHC and you are running Spec C.

Good luck!

P.S. Your English is great! (Except 'English' should be capitalized) ;)

01/20/2013 11:49 AMPosted by KingEight
If they nerf black damage.... yikes : (

This is an issue that I will try to address IF it happens.

The much more likely situation would be that they buff Black Damage due to the wording of their stats in the API (using the word "delta" instead of the word "max" and their treatment of min-damage in the AH (treated as average damage which is in line with "max" actually being min+delta).

In either case, we should be okay. 1.0.7 is an overall BUFF to TR spec damage and a 15% decrease in the DPS of your Skorn will simply offset the skill-damage-buff and we will be right back to where we started! :D

ok, so i built myself a poor man's TR suit. hopefully, i did alright. i went without inna's.

on my profile now, but i upped my pants to higher dex and vit ones, and swapped out my attack speed gloves for 10 crit, high dex ones.

hopefully, i didn't just waste my gold! is 98k dps enough to do this? my tyrael's gives me added damage to demons...

i did it last night for awhile using my old attack speed gloves, and while i could TR almost infinitely, i wasn't gaining spirit while TR'ing either, which lead to me not having sss ready when i needed it.

your thoughts?? how did i do???

Hey there Mojo, welcome to the dark-side!

I find your lack of 4piece Inna's disturbing!

In all seriousness, I don't know how to judge non-4-piece-Inna's TR suits so I am going to stick with, looks great! :D

You will be the better judge in this case than I will because only you can tell if it actually works.

Assuming you don't just run out of spirit due to re-casting SW, here is my evaluation of your build:
1. 99k DPS is perfectly fine and you should have no trouble getting to 70m+ xp/hr.
2. Your AR is in a good place and your HP is way higher than you need it to be for MP0 TR. You could happily drop HP for more damage if you feel like it.
3. You are REALLY going to want to use MoC:Submission rather than MoC:Overawe.
I do a breakdown of the difference in my guide and you are more than welcome to read it, but Submission is something like 6x better than Overawe.

Good luck and please let me know if it does actually work ... I am sure there are anti-inna's people out there who are eager for your results! :D

01/20/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Hope
I built a tempest rush set, got rid of all my attack speed and so have 1.00 attacks per second. I actually really like using the longer lasting sweeping wind, but I would love to be able to switch to the MoC: submission rune. Any advice?

Let's find out!

Spir/sec calcs:
Gain: 1.03 (hat) 1 (ES) 2 (CoR) 3 (MoH:Circ) * 1.47 (GP + Templar) = 10.334 spir/sec
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * 1 + (0.00 IAS) = 1 * 10 = 10 spir/sec
Total spir/sec change: 10.334 - 10 = +0.334 spir/sec

So you are net positive for now, but you are REALLY close and you want to drop 3spir/sec which is one of your biggest gains.

This means you need to make that 3 up elsewhere.

My suggestion:
Get a SoJ with 2+ spir/sec and Deadly Reach damage. This will cost you the LEAST possible amount of gold for a 2+ spir/sec SoJ and the DR damage will help you kill elites when SSS is down or when you need to generate more spirit to use SSS.

You will still need MORE spir/sec even with the SoJ which means you have to upgrade your helm. You need to get a Inna's hat with 2+ spir/sec and then you will have enough spirit gain to drop MoH:Circ and take MoC:Sub.

This should DRASTICALLY increase your xp/hr and here is why:
You will lose DPS from switching one of your CHC + CHD rings to SoJ, however, you will actually GAIN DPS against elites because you will have +DR damage AND +Elite damage.

This means you kill elites faster AND you use MoC:Sub which means you kill trash faster.

win/win.

Good luck!

Druin, as a DH player, this guide helped me IMMENSELY with the monk I am currently leveling. I now know how to do spec's a lot better, and this thread provided me ALOT of insight as to builds, gear, general and advanced monk knowledge and didn't leave me scratching my head confused as hell.

So while my monk may not be 60 yet, I know I'll actually play it, and actually have a few ideas now of how to enjoy my monk better WHILE being efficient!

Thank you sir, you've done a good thing here, I hope the universe is good to you.

Thank you very much for your support! It is always nice to hear that something I have done is making someone else happier! :D

Generally speaking, the universe has been very good to me.

I have a job that I enjoy and that affords me the time to do things like update this guide all the time. I have a wife that loves me. I have a family who are, for the most part, happy and healthy and we all get a long. I have good friends, a house and I am planning on kids soon.

Only thing that could be better is I am currently WAY underpaid .... but that is only a matter of time. :D

Hey Druin,

Awesome build. I've been using it the last month or so and earning some pretty awesome experience, dropping a ton more legendaries and having more fun in general.

I recently came into some gold courtesy of a very nice Witching Hour drop.

I have 114,000,000 to spend, I want to upgrade my Skorn to higher DPS/CD and also my Xeph Amulet to something with high cc.

I can't do both for the gold I have above, but I'm getting close.

Which upgrade will help me the most if I can't get both with the amount above. I seem to be looking at 75m for each item, roughly. Both items are pretty trash on my Monk right now (See profile)

Thanks in advance, man!

Hey there Bootman!

I am really glad that you like the TR build!

I think I will answer your question indirectly.

While it is never my place to tell other people how to play, I think you would be greatly benefited by changing some things and then moving forward from there.

A lot of the skills/items you are currently using, while efficient at the higher-tiers of TR itemizaiton, are actually dragging you down right now.

1. Drop the xeph all together. You are losing xp/hr by using that item right now. I 100% promise you that if you sell that ammy and get one with CHC, CHD, and dex then drop SW:Cyclone (which you don't have enough CHC to make useful anyways) in favor of SW:Inner Storm, your loot/hr and xp/hr will both go up significantly.

This is made even MORE true by the BoA Crafted ammy in 1.0.7 which is such an amazing BiS item (if you get lucky) that it will be hard to justify ANY Xeph ammy post 1.0.7, let alone a non CHC one.

2. Drop Fleet Footed.
This passive is great for top-tier monks because 1 shotting everything means that move-speed is the single biggest factor to max xp/hr. At you level of DPS (68k), you will not be killing things fast enough for FF to actually increase your xp/hr.

You can change it to one of many passives such as STI (more survivability in combination with your phys res gear) or ES for better spirit gen (maybe you can use Firestorm AND MoC:Sub without the xeph?).

With that out of the way. The answer to your original question is: Skorn by a LONG shot.
Because Xeph isn't even that efficient for you, a higher DPS skorn will do wonders for your xp/hr.

You can either drop the LS and get a 1350 DPS 180% CHD skorn with LoK or REALLY high dex/vit.
Or you can keep the LS and get a smaller upgrade to 1300 DPS and 150 or 160% CHD.

Your biggest possible upgrade would probably be to get a 1350 or even 1400 skorn with 180% CHD and 2000+ LoK, drop the Xeph for a 9+ CHC 70+ CHD 150+ dex ammy, switch FF to STI.

You should stay pretty hard to kill (STI + Phys res is amazing + LoK) and you will gain ~40-50k DPS which means you will actually 1 shot most things.

As always, take what I say with a grain of salt. If you are having fun, you are doing it right!

Good luck!

Hi Druin, ive been trying out TR build on 1.07 ptr cause ive gotten bored with my barb and feel like trying something different.

I'm going for a build that can run in atleast mp1 and i think what i have should be able to do the job.

Stats are:
130k DPS (149k DPS with BOH:BW)
416 Res (OWE)
28k Life
4k Armor
37.5 Crit (43.5 TR Crit)
2870 LOK
416 LPS

Do you think this would be good enough for atleast mp1 in 1.07? (cant check myself yet cause of the copy restriction)
Can you recommend any other changes that i might need to make to mp1 TR build viable (without goin into mega coin territory)

Edit: Just need another opinion. Not sure if i should go with MOH:CIRC/SW:CYC OR MOC:SUB/SW:INNERS, they seem about the same from what ive tested so far

Hello CoronaC,

Those stats are fine for MP1.

Here is my take on your situation:
If you want loot more than xp, use InnerStorm-Sub and run MP1 Vault of the Assasins.
If you want xp more than loot, use Cyclone-Circ and run MP0 Act3 with Seaboot's route.

It is VERY unlikely that MP1 will be better xp/hr than MP0 in Act3 so I would be pretty skeptical about that plan. (even post 1.0.7 xp% changes)

I will, at some point, be testing the MP0 vs MP1 1.0.7 thing ... but not until it goes live.
Reply Quote
Hell again Druin, welcome back to your home-base-thread.
I'm very happy @ my current character state. Got some upgrades this week(end) and got to 137k dps unbuffed. I snapshot SW at 210k dps. (I focused deeply on Spec variant C and I currently sit at 47% CHC and 436% CHD + all the other stats) . Feels good man! Now I simply can't buy anything better for Spec C, I perfected it and will be moving on after 1.0.7 slowly to Spec A / Endgame spec.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Andrew-2145/

Check it out! Have a great night.

Damn, the profile hasn't updated yet to show the new Skorn. Besides the new rings / amulets I got a better Skorn. From 290 dex and 130 CHD to 200 CHD and 340 dex

Scratch that. 150k dps unbuffed :D Got some awesome Zunimasa's Trail and some Awesome Gloves (got rid of old IK boots + gloves combo). Got 20k flat dps and lost just 200 armor and 15 AR. Hope profile will update asap.

Also, switched to SW: Inner Storm and MoC: Submission. Damn. Awesome.
Edited by Andrew#2145 on 1/21/2013 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi Druin!

Fantastic guide and what's even more impressive is the followup you've done with everyone. The guide has been a wonderful help to me and I was looking to the collective wisdom of the forums for helps on next steps.

I've been smashing through MP0 runs with zero problems or downtime, but I'm wondering if there will be an advantage to running a different MP with the changes coming to xp in 1.0.7. I've got about 80M I could spend on upgrades if so.

Any feedback you (or any other experienced monks) have is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hi guys, in your opinion can i get full tempest rush set work with 20m gold?
Reply Quote
Hey there Bootman!

I am really glad that you like the TR build!

I think I will answer your question indirectly.

While it is never my place to tell other people how to play, I think you would be greatly benefited by changing some things and then moving forward from there.

A lot of the skills/items you are currently using, while efficient at the higher-tiers of TR itemizaiton, are actually dragging you down right now.

1. Drop the xeph all together. You are losing xp/hr by using that item right now. I 100% promise you that if you sell that ammy and get one with CHC, CHD, and dex then drop SW:Cyclone (which you don't have enough CHC to make useful anyways) in favor of SW:Inner Storm, your loot/hr and xp/hr will both go up significantly.

This is made even MORE true by the BoA Crafted ammy in 1.0.7 which is such an amazing BiS item (if you get lucky) that it will be hard to justify ANY Xeph ammy post 1.0.7, let alone a non CHC one.

2. Drop Fleet Footed.
This passive is great for top-tier monks because 1 shotting everything means that move-speed is the single biggest factor to max xp/hr. At you level of DPS (68k), you will not be killing things fast enough for FF to actually increase your xp/hr.

You can change it to one of many passives such as STI (more survivability in combination with your phys res gear) or ES for better spirit gen (maybe you can use Firestorm AND MoC:Sub without the xeph?).

With that out of the way. The answer to your original question is: Skorn by a LONG shot.
Because Xeph isn't even that efficient for you, a higher DPS skorn will do wonders for your xp/hr.

You can either drop the LS and get a 1350 DPS 180% CHD skorn with LoK or REALLY high dex/vit.
Or you can keep the LS and get a smaller upgrade to 1300 DPS and 150 or 160% CHD.

Your biggest possible upgrade would probably be to get a 1350 or even 1400 skorn with 180% CHD and 2000+ LoK, drop the Xeph for a 9+ CHC 70+ CHD 150+ dex ammy, switch FF to STI.

You should stay pretty hard to kill (STI + Phys res is amazing + LoK) and you will gain ~40-50k DPS which means you will actually 1 shot most things.

As always, take what I say with a grain of salt. If you are having fun, you are doing it right!

Good luck!

Thanks for the awesome help, Druin. I spent 30m on a Skorn, 3m on an amulet, and 15m on the Zunimassa's trail. Got my damage from 65k to 118k. Huge difference. As I'm currently running, I've got excess spirit. With Templar bonus and Inner Storm, it clocks in at just over 15/s. Means I can probably look at dropping either Exalted Soul, Chant of Resonance, or possibly, as a stretch, Inner Storm? You were spot on about being able to be super efficient without the use of a Xeph. Thanks for saving me a ton of gold, man!

If I do drop a passive, which should I drop? Should I pick up fleet footed again now my DPS is rather high, or should I go for STI/OWE? I've died once or twice since swapping gear, both times to Reflects Damage packs when SSS is on cooldown. Since It's getting a nerf in 1.0.7 I dare say there's no point gearing around more survivability?

My last question, not sure if it's been covered a few pages back, I dare say it has but I couldn't see the answer with a quick glance. With 1.0.7's changes to snapshotting of SW, I'm willing to bet that Deadly Reach:Foresight will no longer be the most efficient primary attack. Will we be making the shift back to Thunderclap, possibly even Quickening?

Cheers once again, Druin. The community needs more awesome people like you! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]