Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Really really really love this thread.

any tip to improve my TR build?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhoenixFire-2619/hero/14378478

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Three weeks of tempest rushing has got me from paragon 80 to 95. Such quick xp and loot per hour, it's insane.

Check out one of my runs with less than stellar gear (LoK Skorn, 11.1 spirit regen). I stop to pick up loot and regenerate spirit by stopping for elites if SSS is still on cooldown. I get an average of 55m xp/hour that way and about 3-10 legendaries per hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPvPs0TlOU

And with active fleeting shrine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8-Nx4cD08

Thanks Druin, for your continued insights! I do fear that after hitting paragon 100, the fun will fade away, even with the new patch being released soon. I'm creating a self-found barb that might already be worth more than my monk. Too bad the paragon magic/gold find does not affect alts.
Reply Quote
You have one insane setup there! I might even suggest you get some attack speed in there! You have the spirit regen for it. You might even go for the Nat's cc ring/boots-combo.
Reply Quote
Phoenix> Wow crazy gear! The only thing I can see is using a hellfire to grind the last few paragons faster, a SW/TR soj and maybe switching some of the passives - I'd guess fleet footed would improve your exp/h.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey guys, I did a TON of writing today on my 1.0.7 TR changes post so I don't have time to answer y'all's questions quite yet.
Link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7763286321

Hang in there and hopefully I will be able to tomorrow or Monday!

<3

Note: I did update the current events section on the main page with some awesome stuff!
Reply Quote
View profile
ok, so i now owe my 3 x biggest loot finds to this build! found an inna's helm last night 1.5 or so spirit regen and 58 lpss. searching similar on the Ah lead to me posting it for 90 million. not sold yet, but still worth more than everything i ever found except the 6cc lacuni i found while also using this build!

let the good times roll!
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I did a TON of writing today on my 1.0.7 TR changes post so I don't have time to answer y'all's questions quite yet.
Link:

Hey Druin,

can you really count in MoC:Sub with such a high scalar? keep in mind that it, by itself, wouldn't kill many mobs since it has fairly low damage output (unless ofc you run with 200k+ DPS). It is more of a "finisher" that cleans what's leftover by TR / SW. Therefore you still have to get at least in SW range for it to give you the xp.

TR on the other hand - given high enough min damage - kills stuff on hit for sure -> certain xp.

I don't have math for you but it feels that you're scaling Sub to high compared to TR / SW. Ofc i might be wrong, though.

Nevertheless, Keep up the good work
Reply Quote
Hey, Kinda getting bored of this game now thats why i built up my TR Monk but it hasnt really helped keep my interest goin with this game anymore.

Anyone able to give me a Price check on my monk? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CoronaC-6163/hero/27588476
116k dmg without hellfire
Reply Quote
Just wanted to say thanks for this. Now I just have to finish blitzing inferno to get to real farming.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Okay, Monday is "answer tons of TR questions" day so here goes! :D

ok, touching base with you about how my non-inna's thing is going:

only using the spirit regen helm and ring means that i only gain enough spirit to TR infinitely, but i do NOT gain spirit while doing it. combined with my full casting cost on SW, and blinding faith (cuz i let SW expire if it runs out), it meant i did not have enough spirit to sss when i needed to, and sometimes ran out when in need of a SW.

so i switched out sss to the air mystic ally. she has an aoe which kills along with my firestorm, plus the occasional 100 spirit she gives tops me up so i never run out when i need to hit blinding faith and SW.

working pretty good! no sss insta-kills, but between me and the ally (and the templar,) elites and champs just die really really fast anyways. i don't ever die and xp and loot is coming fast and hard. found a 10cc stormshield earlier today and it sold for 65 million while i was away at work this morning. although i haven't been TR'ing for long, i owe my 2 x biggest finds (that stormshield and a 6 crit lacuni ) to this build!!!

This is SO good to hear!!!!!!!

I would honestly love to see the exact set-up you end up using and try it myself.

You are the first person who has tried a non-4-piece setup and had success that I know of!

+100

I think the best part of this build is that magic find runs are short enough you can take breaks and it hardly even feels like your grinding. I generally do 1-2 runs that take about 10 mins each then take a 10 minute break till I start again and it really makes grinding a lot more enjoyable.
I'm also gaining about 3/4 paragon a day now way faster then I would if I cyclone build on act3.

My version / gear unless I'm swap out for ubers or something.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Calamity-1271/hero/4389320

I'm also thinking about getting a SoJ however it's really hard to find one at the right price with the right stats mostly cause you can't search them easy

The whole "being able to stop" thing is actually part of what I love most about this build.

My current loot runs are 3 minute Act2 VotA cycles and it makes taking breaks super easy!

By far the best way to search for SoJ's is to set the search to "armor" and "all armor" and then select the stats "Bonus vs Elites - 20%+" and "Spirit Regen - 1.0+" and then a list of SoJ's will pop up.

Then, if you are looking for one of the coveted TR SoJ's, you should sort the list by "time remaining" and refresh over and over until a 1d12h TR crit ring pops up for a reasonable price! :D

01/24/2013 03:00 PMPosted by jhanZ
Confused about one thing. TR is going from 85% weapon damage to 155%. How did the OP figure that to be a 5% buff?

Hello JhanZ,

I have actually revised my number up (due to math) to be closer to an 18% buff.

The reason it's not a ~90% buff (155/85) is because the actual skill 'Tempest Rush' accounts for a fairly small percentage of any given Tempest Rush monk's total damage done.

Generally, Sweeping Winds does the most damage and then there is a competition for the #2 slot between TR and MoC:Submission.

For example, in the current End-Game spec, TR makes up ~14.1% of your total damage while SW:C does ~69% and MoC:Submission does ~16.9%.

Increasing TR's damage by 100% would only increase your total damage by ~14%.

Really really really love this thread.

any tip to improve my TR build?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhoenixFire-2619/hero/14378478

Thanks in advance.

Hello Phoenix,

Thanks for the support! :D

Based on the fact that you have many many many millions of gold worth of gear equipped, I am going to guess that the Flying Dragon in your profile is a fluke and you use a relatively high DPS Skorn.

As long as that is true, the only thing I would change (and it's not that big a deal as you are already getting close to plvl100) is to get a Hellfire ring.

Monks like you don't really need advice, you are rocking the end-game spec and it looks smexy!

P.S. If you have any interest in selling that Xeph, let me know! :D

Three weeks of tempest rushing has got me from paragon 80 to 95. Such quick xp and loot per hour, it's insane.

Check out one of my runs with less than stellar gear (LoK Skorn, 11.1 spirit regen). I stop to pick up loot and regenerate spirit by stopping for elites if SSS is still on cooldown. I get an average of 55m xp/hour that way and about 3-10 legendaries per hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPvPs0TlOU

And with active fleeting shrine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8-Nx4cD08

Thanks Druin, for your continued insights! I do fear that after hitting paragon 100, the fun will fade away, even with the new patch being released soon. I'm creating a self-found barb that might already be worth more than my monk. Too bad the paragon magic/gold find does not affect alts.

Hey there VvT76,

I am really glad that my guide was able to help you slam out those paragon levels!!!

As for the Paragon100 thing, here are my thoughts on it:
I got really sad after I hit plvl100 because I had been SO focused on getting xp/hr and getting better and better efficiency that I felt lost without that goal.

I got over it. I simply adore my monk, this community and this game in general.

I think that everyone has their own things that make them happy. For me, it's logging in and knowing that I will make progress with the time I spend. Whether that is progress in simply getting more gold/loot, progress in refining my loot/hr strats, progress in the monk community by helping those who ask for help or progress simply in my own understanding of the game.
No matter what, I make progress.

That didn't change when I hit plvl100. I just had to switch around a few goals.

I no longer strive to get the max possible xp/hr and instead I am focused on elites/minute and legendaries/hr.

I have discovered a whole new field of TR-Bells hybrid builds and I am excited, every day, to log in and test some new idea, skill set-up or strategy and see how it compares.

I am extremely excited for 1.0.7 because it will bring new goals for me to achieve!

That is me.

You are you and will have your own things that make you happy. I will be sincerely sad if they do turn out to be simply getting paragon levels because that does end and there is nothing passed it in that field.

I would just like to assure you that, if you have the desire, there are always more goals out there!

Either way, stay happy and you will be fine! :D

ok, so i now owe my 3 x biggest loot finds to this build! found an inna's helm last night 1.5 or so spirit regen and 58 lpss. searching similar on the Ah lead to me posting it for 90 million. not sold yet, but still worth more than everything i ever found except the 6cc lacuni i found while also using this build!

let the good times roll!

#Jealousy

Hey Druin,

can you really count in MoC:Sub with such a high scalar? keep in mind that it, by itself, wouldn't kill many mobs since it has fairly low damage output (unless ofc you run with 200k+ DPS). It is more of a "finisher" that cleans what's leftover by TR / SW. Therefore you still have to get at least in SW range for it to give you the xp.

TR on the other hand - given high enough min damage - kills stuff on hit for sure -> certain xp.

I don't have math for you but it feels that you're scaling Sub to high compared to TR / SW. Ofc i might be wrong, though.

Nevertheless, Keep up the good work

Hey Xotox,

Yes, I do believe I can count it as high as I do.

I did reduce it's "gain" from AoE by 50% due to player choice because monsters are NOT randomly allocated and, instead, are partially random and partially controlled by the player's movements.

This is a very hard concept to get your head around and I struggle with it myself when trying to theory-craft for TR.

The essential concept is: You do not have full control of where monsters are positioned and that means that, to at least some extent, you must treat them as being "randomly" positioned.

If you could control everything's exact position, all the monsters in a level would be stacked on top of eachother at 1 point and Bells would be the best xp/hr! :D

Because of this random positioning factor, the Area of Effect of any given skill will increase its overall "true" damage done when compared to another skill with a smaller Area of Effect.

The fact that Submission doesn't OHK mobs on its own is somewhat irrelevant because it still does its damage and that means monsters that would not have died previously, will die now. Whether those are monsters that went through the edge of SW or failed to get crit by TR or only died because they came from the side of you and got hit by several ticks of Sub.

There are millions upon millions of variables that determine exactly how much damage each skill will do in a given run and so I have held the vast majority of those out of this thought experiment by assuming that monsters are randomly placed, move randomly, and that factor is reduced by 50% due to player choice.

I honestly believe that there is a case to be made for player choice having a larger effect than I have given it. However, I have no way of calculating that and my current model fits my personal perceptions REALLY well.

Hey, Kinda getting bored of this game now thats why i built up my TR Monk but it hasnt really helped keep my interest goin with this game anymore.

Anyone able to give me a Price check on my monk? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CoronaC-6163/hero/27588476
116k dmg without hellfire

Hi there CoronaC,

I am sincerely sorry to hear that you are getting bored! :(

Unfortunately, that is bound to happen to all of us at some point!

I would be more than happy to help you out with things like this in-game, but for now, I would really appreciate it if this thread could be kept free of "price checks" and "wts" stuff! :D

Thank you so much!

01/27/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Alphasol
Just wanted to say thanks for this. Now I just have to finish blitzing inferno to get to real farming.

It is my pleasure!
Reply Quote
Hi Druin, and anyone else with data / analysis to offer. When you're going for maximum loot / hr, how much if any effort do you put into killing trash mobs? Obviously with an end-game TR spec a lot trash mobs will die just by running into them, but do you deviate from a straight-line path to hit them? Do you *ever* double back to clean them up? Or are you just full-up rushing from elite pack to elite pack?

Thanks as always writing and keeping up this guide, it's been hugely helpful!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hi Druin, and anyone else with data / analysis to offer. When you're going for maximum loot / hr, how much if any effort do you put into killing trash mobs? Obviously with an end-game TR spec a lot trash mobs will die just by running into them, but do you deviate from a straight-line path to hit them? Do you *ever* double back to clean them up? Or are you just full-up rushing from elite pack to elite pack?

Thanks as always writing and keeping up this guide, it's been hugely helpful!

I will go into more depth when I actually write the new section on loot/hr farming and, specifically, hybrid bells-TR.

That being said, I do find that it is worthwhile to kill trash and rarely worthwhile to double back.

Because Bells are currently un-buffed, I am using a Bells + MoC:Sub build with InnerStorm which means I am basically rocking a 160k dps Spec B build (from a TR standpoint).

That means that even on MP1 in VotA, I clear most of the trash by just walking by it! :D

Big, clumped packs are almost always worth it imo ... trash drops ~35-40% of my legendaries. (non empirical number)
Reply Quote
Druin - your TR guide/videos have made a huge difference in my paragon leveling and I'd just like to thank you for that.

I've been running a cyclone/submission-based TR build for a while now. I don't have the spirit regen to sustain infinite tempest rush with my current rune choices. I figure that stopping to attack a couple of demonic tremors every map is worth it to keep the damage spreading effects of submission and cyclones.

I'd appreciate your input on what I might do to upgrade my monk. Options that come to mind are: upgrading SoJ to 6-7% TR crit, a LS skorn or perhaps a xeph amulet.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
Cool, thanks Druin. Sounds like I'm doing about what you are with regards to trash mobs, but now I'm curious as to their relative worth. I'll have to think about collecting data about where my leg drops are coming from--though getting a meaningful dataset would take a very long time.
Reply Quote
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread because it is obviously pretty long, so this may have already been covered. Anyway, I was curious if loading the templar up with +xp items would make much difference. Obviously, only a fairly small amount of +xp from companion passes to the character, so you might only be able to get 20ish actual +xp. However, as I understand it, the +xp is applied before percentage based bonuses, so the Hellfire ring and helm ruby would probably make it closer to 30. I am pretty new to TRing, so I just don't have a feel for what kind of impact that would make.

Also, is there a way to make a game not open to your friends? I like my friends, but they keep jacking my farming.
Reply Quote
Many thanks Druin! You rocks!

The flying Dragon that appears in my profile is not my main weapon (is a 1400 dps, 189%CD, 5,4LS Skorn) It drops me last week and i was trying to use the last days of snapshooting the SW damage of the skorn and then change to the FD and watch 2/3 cyclones everytime I jump to a bunch of mobs.

I Usually go with the skorn and SW firestorm

The Xhep Amulet only cost me 3M gold in the european GAH a long time ago, when they're considered crap,bull!@#$.... :))))
Reply Quote
Wow there is a Lot of Info in here.
Going to be reading all night but I was hoping you could look at my Newly built TR monk and offer some suggestions.

I just started to use TR. I can't seem to keep TR up all the time. Even with Templar as follower.
Reply Quote
Hi, I'm currently using a Spec A variant of the spec, and according to that one in order to achievme maximum potention one has to have 42% crit with SoJ TR. But with the SoJ I have 45, and there are still not a whole lot of Cyclones spawning. Is there something in my spec etc I've missed?

And I've got 121k dmg unbuffed, and still not oneshotting stuff. When does that happen?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mendi-2600/hero/24433037

EDIT: Now I've bought a Xeph neck, so now I'm going for the first variation skill. (I know that I'm lacking like 10k dps and a couple other minor stats, but I've got 104k.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers answering. :-)
Edited by Mendi#2600 on 1/29/2013 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Mendi - I'm no Druin, but I can relate my own (admittedly limited) experience of TR'ing. I see that your gear currently gives you 34% CC + 5% TR crit on your SoJ. Combined with your base crit chance (5% I think), that should put you north of 42% crit for TR.

For a reasonable amount of time, I had about 39% CC from gear - very similar to what you are now. I now have a better SoJ with 4% TR crit. My impression is that those last few percent for TR crit really seem to make a difference when it comes to spawning tornadoes.

As for DPS: I think something greater than 120K DPS gets you into the one-shot zone on MP0. I think it also helps to go through the monsters in a slightly wavy rather than straight line.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]