Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Thanks for the great guide, Druin. Any ways to improve my farm time on my Monk for less than say 10M? When I get the Dex Amulet recipe I plan to craft until I get a decent Crit Ch and Crit Dmg one. I like the pickup radius, but was also thinking of trying to get more MF for item drops. My WD at max MF seems to run MP0 slightly slower but get a lot more drops. I'd like my Monk to eventually be at similar/better efficiency. Or would it be more beneficial to focus on DPS?

Appreciate the insight.
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 08:16 AMPosted by XotoX
geez, Ironman, that is one skorn...

LOL...that is because of the ruby i was talking about earlier...it's actually more like 1350 dps
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Oh my goodness ... 1.0.7 has been stealing all my attention away from you guys!

However, I am back at "work" and that means more TR questions answered!

02/12/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Piffle
Looking forward to reading the updates! I actually read all your advice in here, even though I'm fairly comfortable with my TR setup at this point. Mostly because I don't want to miss any good information, but also because I find the way you write to be pretty entertaining!

Why thank you Piffle! :D

Looking forward to whatever research and new ideas you have on improving TR's efficiency with your 1.07 guides Druin. I also try and spread the knowledge around our little gaming clan community I'm a part of (for the monks there).

I gotta say I hit PL90 last night, just not even two months ago I was about 30PL lower and thanks to your TR guide I'm much closer to my goal of 100PL. ( I would have already hit it but work and RL tend to get in the way:D )

Grats on plvl90!!! At lvl90 you are actually getting pretty darn close!

Each level will take a while but counting down from 10 feels SO much better than counting down from 20. ;)

As always, thanks a ton for the support!

Hi Druin!

I saw your guide and it inspired me to try making a TR monk. I was wondering if you could take a look at my monk and give me any suggestions to try out. I don't have the money necessary to really get into spirit regen, which I know is vital, so I tried some different skills. I'm not sure if this is the most effective build I could do, that why I wanted to ask you. I'm using the Air Ally currently because I decided to use Inner Storm to help with my spirit regen, and I figured the Ally gave me the ability to run through mobs, and have him pick off some of the weaklings that I'm leaving behind. Based on my current skills, would you suggest that I switch out Northern Breeze for Tail wind? Opinions would be appreciated.

Hello Malaska,

I am so glad that my guide was inspiring to you!!! That is awesome!

I completely understand not being able to go "all in" on the spir/sec gear required for TR, let's see if we can make it work for you anyways.

Okay, so the only spir/sec you have from gear is the 0.33 from 4 pieces of Inna's.

That you have 4 pieces of Inna's is pretty good though! At least you will be able to run an "effect" rune on SW.

Let's assume you run one 3 spir/sec skill (Inner storm or Circ breathing), Chant of Resonance and Northern Breeze.

Here is your spirit profile:
Gain: 0.33 (set) 3 (skill) 2 (CoR) * 1.47 (Templar + GP) = 7.84 spir/sec
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * 1+ 0.09 (pants) + 0.07 (ring) = 1.16 * 8 = 9.28 spir/sec
Net Change: 1.44 spir/sec loss

That is definitely an issue because, with a 150 spirit pool, you will find yourself running out of spirit in ~60-80 seconds (depending on TR stuttering).

My suggestion:
I think, first off, that Innerstorm-Submission is better than Firestorm-Circ.

Next, I think you are going to want to switch to a more "gain-loss" variation of TR spec. This means having Exalted Soul, or as Rhaal likes to call it, your "gas tank."

You want the 250 spirit pool so that, when full, you can run TR the longest time possible before having to stop and refuel.

Thankfully, they nerfed SW snapshot in 1.0.7 and DR:Foresight is no longer that good for TR.

However, losing that DPS buff will be a pain. Instead, I recommend switching to BoH:BW.

Here is the spec I think you should try:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXSek!bdU!YabYbc

The concept here will be to fill up your 250 spirit pool with FoT:Quickening and then use that to TR around, killing trash with Inner Storm + MoC:Submission.

Then, when you get to an elite pack, FoT:Quickening them to full spirit and then BELL!!!

At your level of DPS with the 12% extra damage from MoC, you should be 1 shotting elite packs with a single bell.

That puts you at ~210 spirit to keep right on TR'ing to the next elite pack.

Gearing direction:
I would REALLY recommend getting an SoJ.

Your Skull grasp is costing you spir/sec with its 7% IAS and it is giving you only moderate DPS.

A moderately good SoJ would net you nearly infinite spir/sec while TRing and let you drop more bells.

After that, a spir/sec Inna's Hat would let you move from Northern Breeze to Tailwind which would drastically increase your clear speed.

Hopefully these changes will improve your play-experience and your xp/hr! If you have any specific questions, feel free to add me in game and we can chat! :D

02/13/2013 05:26 AMPosted by JayUltimatum
Needs to be on front page at all times.

<3

So why not have both for maximum elite killspeed? Even without a Xeph amy i could quite easily sustain

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecXTSQ!bdc!bZbccZ

BoH:BW is ofc optional in 1.0.7. For survivability you can still go with BF or if you experience SR issues again with DR:FS/another generator. Even Air ally if you happen to be one of the lucky people with LS.

And as i experienced for over 60 PLevels now you definitely CAN and WILL run into multiple RD packs within 30s. Given that i don't yet have neither LS nor LoK on my skorn i decided to try SSS:SA instead of SSS:FO. Turned out to be a lot better for me. That ~23% faster recharge has been totally sufficient for MP0 and even without the FO rune still kills elites in a blink.

I will definitely be looking into the zero-spirit gen playstyle.

The problem with it is that it's not all that accessible to most monks.

You need a spirit generating skill (Inner storm or Circ) to make that spec work without LOTS of spir/sec gear and I do not think that faster elite kills speed (SSS + Bells) will ever be worth the loss of trash kill speed from not using MoC:Sub or SW:C/F.

We shall see though ... needs testing and I am going to do it! :D

nice work on this Druin.

I wish you had a link to the skills used next to the videos in the first section.

A quick point though, i found that you put a bit too much emphasis on delivering a permanent TR rather than clearing maps faster through higher damage. From my testing, i found that more damage (through MoC/Submission and SW/Firestorm) outweighs the benefits of MoH/Circular Breathing or the Xeph amulet.

Other than that, great job. Here is my guide...i hope it can be useful for you http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5335593551

Hello there IronMan1975!

How nice to see a fellow TR Guide maker!

Your guide is very good and I like that we have slightly different areas of focus. I think that your guide could be very helpful to people who find my guide either not to their writing style preference or their play style preference, would you mind terribly if I linked it in the "helpful links" section of my first post? :D

I definitely do focus on "infinite" TR quite a lot and that comes almost exclusively from personal preference.

I REALLY hated having negative spirit/sec and I found that having to punch things at any time during my runs decreased my xp/hr. When I then figured out that SSS:FO was a very efficient way to kill elites it put a further burden on my spir/sec because I now had to regen spirit while TRing.

I can honestly say that I have done little to no experimentation with negative net spirit TR builds so I will defer to your experience in that field.

Sadly, I have had relatively little empirical evidence other than my own numbers and Seaboots' numbers to reference. This means that things I didn't personally test tend not to make it into the guide.

If you have done xp/hr calcs and found that net-negative spir/sec TR specs can produce INCREASED xp/hr numbers compared to net-positive or net-neutral specs, I would LOVE to talk about it!!!

Either way, thanks for sharing and thanks for the support! :D

also, i did some testing today with a Ruby, and even though i lost 2k dps, i am able to farm mp 2 as effectively as i was mp 1 (after the patch, of course...before 1.07 i was on mp0).

I think the reason for this is the increase to the minimum damage and minimum crit damage is what is helping to clear mobs fast enough on the higher mp level.

I find this to be interesting.

Because of the way both SW and Submission work, CHD and average damage both affect them equally. That means that the "reduced variance" from a ruby vs an emerald would only affect the actual hits from TR and the hits from spawned Cyclones when using SW:C.

I will admit that I have not tested it (way too busy farming Essences! :D ) but it seems to me that the slight reduction in variance would have a hard time making up for the rather noticeable loss of DPS.

Is it possible that the increase in TR-spec damage (something around 18%) is more at fault for the jump in MP level than the weapon gem choice or did you account for this already?

Looking forward to chatting with you about this and other TR related things!!

I tried out using Bells in place of SSS yesterday and didn't like it. Mainly because one of the best parts about SSS is that it allows you to hit RD packs without taking any damage. Any time I ran into a RD pack while using Bells I had to wait for RD to wear off and only then could I attack them.

Also, and this is probably just a lack of experience with bells thing, but being able to hit SSS without any thought to positioning is pretty nice, too :P With Bells I have to make sure I'm facing the right way to get as many of the elite pack as possible.

Noted.

I think that the SSS -> Bells decision will be less "obvious" that I first thought it would be!

Having LS really skews things in favor of Bells and I keep forgetting that! :D

Thanks for the great guide, Druin. Any ways to improve my farm time on my Monk for less than say 10M? When I get the Dex Amulet recipe I plan to craft until I get a decent Crit Ch and Crit Dmg one. I like the pickup radius, but was also thinking of trying to get more MF for item drops. My WD at max MF seems to run MP0 slightly slower but get a lot more drops. I'd like my Monk to eventually be at similar/better efficiency. Or would it be more beneficial to focus on DPS?

Appreciate the insight.

Hello Tsunami,

First off, grats on your TR SoJ! That is amazing!

I generally like your gear setup. I am not sure what you want to focus on, but, usually, people choose to TR because they are looking for xp/hr not loot/hr.

Although you can get very good loot/hr with TR, without the right gear, it tends to compare only moderately well with some of the other classes normal specs (WW babas and Bears WD's for instance).

In my opinion, the best way to get more MF is to simply level up that Paragon! Once you get to the mid-70's you are "halfway" there and you will have a free 200+ MF.

If you are interested in this, you need to get some more DPS.

Your ring is amazing, your crafted gloves are giving you a lot of eHP which is nice and your shoulders are good for a lot of DPS.

I would recommend dropping the vit gems in your pants in favor of dex gems.

Get a better CHD gem for your Skorn and invest in a skorn with more DPS.
If you aren't going to use a Skorn with sustain stats (LS, LoK) then at least get a high DPS high dex one! :D

Switch OWE to STI because you already have phys resist so STI is a better investment for eHP.
This switch will help ease the pain of dropping the vit gems.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, craft an ammy! You can easily gain 10-15k DPS from a crafted ammy without even getting amazing rolls.

That being said, it is unlikely that a crafted ammy (no matter how good) would be more xp/hr than a CHC Xeph ammy. The reason for this is that without a Xeph, you will always have to run MoH:Circ and so you will never get to use MoC:Submission.

I think with these changes you could be looking at a really strong TR monk that would help make the plvls come quickly! :D

Good luck!
Reply Quote
Hi Druin. Always great work by keeping up with all our question on TR.
I am definitely with Piffle on this: without LS on the Skorn, I insta-kill myself with RD whenever I use bells.
On another note, did you do some testing on BW vs. air ally? In my case, I found air ally more efficient than BW on MP0 (maybe the extra AoE to finish off strugglers?). In addition, the extra spirit eliminates the effects of TR stuttering, since after using SSS sometimes I was getting low on spirit. But now, before I finish my spirit, I usually get a free refill by the ally. I did not do any math to explain my results, but I consistently get better run times and better exp/hr with the ally than with BW.
Reply Quote
I noticed your video guides are a few months old.. is all build/gear information still accurate?
Reply Quote
Hi Dru,

Love the guides, videos, and everything you do and even though its already become hackneyed to say so (a sign of your immense success and universal popularity!), I couldn't help myself. On to the meat:

1. I submit here for your approval: "Variant D". Basically endgame spec but using a doom hammer for the reduced attack speed in order to reduce the spirit regen burden on gear. Ring and Helm should be plenty for this spec (I'm gaining ~.5 sps atm, with just ring and inner storm). And that's "D" for Druin :) (or doom hammer or because D comes after C -- or it stands for all 3, if you are so inclined).

Here's my question re: variant D (it applies to all build variants really): what amount of sps should I be aiming for? .5 is not enough--will 1 be? 1.5? 1.75?

2. Someone a few posts above said they didn't like bells because they had to aim it. My suggestion is to use explosive light rather than wall of light because the former appears to have about the same radius as sss, and on the lower MPs the difference between 914% wep dmg and 1202% wep dmg is negligible, imo. Even so, I agree with you that bells is not such an obvious choice, after all, and its only real advantage over sss is 0 cooldown.

Thanks and you're the best!
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Druin
Your guide is very good and I like that we have slightly different areas of focus. I think that your guide could be very helpful to people who find my guide either not to their writing style preference or their play style preference, would you mind terribly if I linked it in the "helpful links" section of my first post? :D

Thanks for your kind words, and please do feel free to link to my guide...i will do the same for your guide as well.

If you have done xp/hr calcs and found that net-negative spir/sec TR specs can produce INCREASED xp/hr numbers compared to net-positive or net-neutral specs, I would LOVE to talk about it!!!

1) my spirit regen with Inna Radiance and SoJ is net equal, which is why I use serenity for nasty elites, and killing them with FoT pretty much keeps my spirit up for the course of any map.
2) I never really did calculations with MoH/Circular Breathing because mobs simply did not melt as fast as they do with MoC/Submission, causing me to have to run them over more than once, where the SW/Firestorm and MoC/Submission combo does take care of pretty much everything up to MP1 (as of version 1.07)

Is it possible that the increase in TR-spec damage (something around 18%) is more at fault for the jump in MP level than the weapon gem choice or did you account for this already?

There is definitely a boost from TR in 1.07, but most definitely, I found that MP0 and MP1 are far far easier with the ruby than with the emerald, since the Firestorm and Submission damage are markedly increased. Alot of the medium and heavy health monsters were being left behind without the Ruby, whereas the Ruby doesn't rely on critical hits to take them down on the first pass. For MP2, the Ruby only really helped to take down trash mobs faster, but medium and heavy health monsters still take time, the the benefit is quite limited there.

Anyway, nice chatting, and keep up the great work.

EDIT: when i set up my build geared towards damage vs extra spirit, it was when my dps was about 100-125, and that extra damage allowed me to move much faster, even if i had to stop on occasion to refresh spirit...but even now, if i use MoH/Circular Breathing in MP1, i would have to backtrack quite a bit to kill anywhere near as many enemies. I do like your setup in 1.07 for mp0 though...quite fun!
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 2/15/2013 3:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Druin and Monk Friends,
With 1.07 arriving I am finally coming back to the Monk class. I started out as a Monk and love the idea of the Monk class, but the Barb was just too tempting and I played that class for a while.

This guide must be the most phenomenal thing that I have seen on the forums yet.

I have put together a decent (I think anyway) TR monk, but was wondering what I can do to make it even better and more efficient for Pleveling. My goal is to get to P100, but it seems to be going slowly. Right now I have been leveling on MP1, but I am thinking that maybe I should drop to MP0?

A couple other questions I have:
1. I am currently running the route Core2 backwards > Rakkis > Fields > Depths 2; is this the best route or should I drop the Core?
2. Is my CHC really limiting me here, I am thinking that I may need to get a new Xephy ammy with CHC instead of CHD?

I know that I also need to get a hellfire ring, but I need to do some runs (I have several portals if anyone wants to help with me with some MP10 uber runs).

Thanks for your help and I am glad to be back to the Monk class.
Reply Quote
Is MP0-1 still best for farming xp with TR? Decided I wanted to try something new and TR Monk looked pretty fun so I gave it a shot.

I'm wondering about Nat's 2 set though. I kind of want to switch out my ring and boots to grab the 2 set bonus since I haven't been able to find a decent TR SoJ(found my current one, so figured I'd use it).

Overall I'm wondering about Nat's 2 set, what MP to farm, and where I should go to improve my gear? I know my vit is low and I'm trying to figure out where to improve that atm. My Skorn in my profile isn't updated yet. I have one almost the exact same, but with 2k LoK.
Reply Quote
Is there a way to fairly easily switch from a TR build for farming xp, to a similar build able to do MP6 fairly easily for some Key farming? Or is it all pretty much same TR/Bells build with much better gear?

Also I dumped my Barb to play the monk hence the STR hellfire atm.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hi Druin. Always great work by keeping up with all our question on TR.
I am definitely with Piffle on this: without LS on the Skorn, I insta-kill myself with RD whenever I use bells.
On another note, did you do some testing on BW vs. air ally? In my case, I found air ally more efficient than BW on MP0 (maybe the extra AoE to finish off strugglers?). In addition, the extra spirit eliminates the effects of TR stuttering, since after using SSS sometimes I was getting low on spirit. But now, before I finish my spirit, I usually get a free refill by the ally. I did not do any math to explain my results, but I consistently get better run times and better exp/hr with the ally than with BW.

I have not tested BW vs Air Ally.

Because Faith is no longer a mandatory (or even a very good) skill for pure-TR monks, skills that weren't really an option in 1.0.6, are all of a sudden much more viable!

I think that Air Ally is a very good candidate for TR monks (especially those who are looking to drop Spirit Gens all together).

I promise, when I reach my goal of crafting 100 of every BoA item, I will start in on some serious 1.0.7 TR testing!

02/14/2013 07:23 PMPosted by DoYouEven
I noticed your video guides are a few months old.. is all build/gear information still accurate?

Hey DoYouEven,

Unfortunately, no, the videos are a bit dated and I would no longer recommend some of the things I do.

I will need to re-make some of them (not all are even possible to re-make sadly).

The gearing stuff is all still accurate. Nothing has changed there except MAYBE a larger focus on BoA items.

The skill suggestions are a bit off ... I think that DR:F is only good in some situations now (some people will use it well, some not) and SSS:FO has competition from WoL:Empowered Wave.

SW:C + MoC:Sub are still the best trash killing tools and the increased damage from TR doesn't really affect much.

Again, I am working on it but 1.0.7 opened the door for some serious upgrades for my monk and extensive xp/hr testing is taking a back-door to that atm! :D

Hi Dru,

Love the guides, videos, and everything you do and even though its already become hackneyed to say so (a sign of your immense success and universal popularity!), I couldn't help myself. On to the meat:

Hello Carlos,

Thank you so much! I do not care at all if it is "hackneyed" to be supportive, reading that kind of support every day is quite literally what keeps me coming back and writing detailed responses!

02/14/2013 10:26 PMPosted by CarlosMarcos
1. I submit here for your approval: "Variant D". Basically endgame spec but using a doom hammer for the reduced attack speed in order to reduce the spirit regen burden on gear. Ring and Helm should be plenty for this spec (I'm gaining ~.5 sps atm, with just ring and inner storm). And that's "D" for Druin :) (or doom hammer or because D comes after C -- or it stands for all 3, if you are so inclined).

First of all, I 100% support the use of Doom Hammers!

The only reason I don't go into them as a viable build option is the sincere and utter lack of Doom Hammers on the market that fit TR monks needs when compared with Skorn.

Skorn has such astoundingly strong base-stats, that it takes a truly amazing Doom Hammer roll to compete with a basic Skorn.

Your Doom Hammer is pretty good.
It has Skorn Dex, Skorn CHD, Skorn LS.
However, it has lower DPS than even a poorly rolled Skorn and it has no socket which means you are out ~80% CHD right off the bat.

Now, because of how IAS affects TR, the DPS on your Doom Hammer is actually "more effective" DPS than Skorn, so you can liken it to a ~1250 or even 1300 DPS skorn ... but you are still out the socket.

That being said, trading a little bit of DPS for better spirit gen might very well be worth it!

Let's take a look at a "normal" end-game spec spirit profile and see what it looks like with a Skorn + Xeph vs a Doom Hammer + Rare ammy.

1. Skorn + Xeph
Gain: 2 (ring) 2 (hat) 2 (ammy) 0.33 (set) 2 (CoR) * 1.47 (templar + GP) = 12.25
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * [1+ 0.08 (pants)] = 1.08 * 10 (TR) = 10.8
Net Change: 1.45 spir/sec gain

2. Doom Hammer + Rare Ammy
Gain: 2 (ring) 2 (hat) 0.33 (set) 2 (CoR) * 1.47 (templar + GP) = 9.31
Loss: 0.9 (APS) * [1+ 0.08 (pants)] = 0.98 * 10 (TR) = 9.8
Net Change: 0.49 spir/sec loss

In this case, the Xeph ammy is providing 2*1.47 = 2.94 spir/sec and that is really hard to make up for!

With extra spir/sec on hat and ring (.2 on ring and .4 on hat) you can get to net 0.39 positive spir/sec with the doom hammer.

However, this is still pretty low to use any spirit spender with your end-game spec.

Generally the spir/sec cost of a spirit spender for a TR spec works like this:
[Cost of spirit spender - spirit gained while using spirit spender] / Average time between use of spirit spender = spir/sec cost of spirit spender

For SSS:FO it works out to be:
[50 (cost) - [spir/sec_gain*2 (spirit gained while using SSS)]] / 30 (time to refresh SSS) = spir/sec cost of SSS.

In the best-case doom hammer example (using a 2.2 ring and a 2.4 hat) you gain 10.19 spir/sec.

This means SSS:FO costs [50-(10.19*2)]/30 = 0.99 spir/sec cost.

To use SSS:FO, it will take ~ 1 spir/sec.

You are only gaining 0.39 spir/sec when TRing which means you can't really use SSS:FO without running out of spirit.

The "end-game" spec gains anywhere from 1.4 to more than 2 spir/sec and that allows it to use things like BoH:BW and SSS:FO or WoL:Empowered Wave without running out of spirit.

So, what we can conclude is that you proposed "Spec D" will have to assume net-negative spirit generation.

A recent poster brought up that I focus VERY heavily on infinite TR in this guide so I think it could do with a good net-negative spec!

I will look into getting a "moderate" Doom Hammer and testing it out on my low-plvl Monk to see what I can come up with and perhaps add a Spec D to the guide! :D

Here's my question re: variant D (it applies to all build variants really): what amount of sps should I be aiming for? .5 is not enough--will 1 be? 1.5? 1.75?

As I sort-of got into in the last response, I think that the spir/sec gain to aim for is something like 1.5. This allows you to use Spirit Spenders along with TR.

That being said, I am not sure where you are going to come up with that extra spirit without using up a passive slot for ES.

2. Someone a few posts above said they didn't like bells because they had to aim it. My suggestion is to use explosive light rather than wall of light because the former appears to have about the same radius as sss, and on the lower MPs the difference between 914% wep dmg and 1202% wep dmg is negligible, imo. Even so, I agree with you that bells is not such an obvious choice, after all, and its only real advantage over sss is 0 cooldown.

Love the Explosive Light idea! I absolutely HATED this rune for MP6 because it spreads all the mobs out and you have to spam more than 1 bell ... but on MP0 it is almost certainly a OHK and you can just run in the middle of the mobs.

Perfect!

+1

Thanks and you're the best!

d'aw!!!

02/15/2013 12:47 AMPosted by IronMan1975
Thanks for your kind words, and please do feel free to link to my guide...i will do the same for your guide as well.

Done.

1) my spirit regen with Inna Radiance and SoJ is net equal, which is why I use serenity for nasty elites, and killing them with FoT pretty much keeps my spirit up for the course of any map.
2) I never really did calculations with MoH/Circular Breathing because mobs simply did not melt as fast as they do with MoC/Submission, causing me to have to run them over more than once, where the SW/Firestorm and MoC/Submission combo does take care of pretty much everything up to MP1 (as of version 1.07)

Roger. If you ever feel inclined to do some number-crunching and you get some interesting results, please let me know! I am always eager for additional data! :D

02/15/2013 12:47 AMPosted by IronMan1975
There is definitely a boost from TR in 1.07, but most definitely, I found that MP0 and MP1 are far far easier with the ruby than with the emerald, since the Firestorm and Submission damage are markedly increased. Alot of the medium and heavy health monsters were being left behind without the Ruby, whereas the Ruby doesn't rely on critical hits to take them down on the first pass. For MP2, the Ruby only really helped to take down trash mobs faster, but medium and heavy health monsters still take time, the the benefit is quite limited there.

I really hate to argue in this thread, but I also do not like the idea of unknowns .... sooo...

This should not be true. A ruby would have zero affect, other than paperdoll DPS increase or decrease, on the damage done by SW and Submission.

Here is why:
Both SW and Submission do their damage "continuously" which is something I have tried to explain in the past with little success but I will try again here! :D

Where TR's damage is done in 3 "chunks" per second, SW and Sub both do damage in incredibly small "chunks" many many many times per second. They then accumulate all these super-small chunks and display the aggregate value every .5 seconds.

If you increase a DPS stat (let's say average damage) by 10%, the very very small chunks will all increase by 10% each, and the aggregate displayed every 0.5 seconds will increase by 10%.

If you increase you CHD, while you will see a very large difference in "spike" damage from the big chunks of TR or FoT, you will NOT see a large difference in "spike" damage from SW or Sub. This is because the super-small chunks aggregated over 0.5 seconds have a natural tendency to "smooth" the damage being done by both skills.

Submission has a further smoothing mechanism that makes it do EXACTLY the same damage every 0.5 seconds as long as your weapon's min_damage=max_damage. If you activate Sub and stand next to a monster, it will deal exactly the same amount of damage every second with the same displayed number every 0.5 seconds despite the fact that your CHC and CHD SHOULD inject variance into the calculation.

Both CHC and CHD DO increase Submission damage in exactly the correct % though. If you gain 10% paperdoll DPS by increasing your CHD, each 0.5 second tick of Submission will do 10% more damage.

SW does have "variance" due to CHC and CHD, but because each TINY chunk has a chance to crit for your CHD damage, the variance is very smooth. Each 0.5 second "tick" has a chance to be anywhere from your "non-crit" damage to your "full-crit" damage. It will, on average, be in the middle.

This means that increasing your CHD will have the exact same affect on % of white mobs killed while passing as increasing your average damage.

Because of this property, a Ruby will NOT kill more mobs than an Emerald unless the Ruby is providing STRICTLY higher DPS.

I will be more than happy to flatly prove this in the new mechanics video that I have to make anyways because of 1.0.7.

I am, by no means, saying that Rubies are not viable. I have not tested them. However, your experiences do NOT fit the current game mechanics and I don't want everyone reading them and saying "A Ruby will make me kill things faster!" when that is simply not true.

Again, sorry if I come off as combative! I just don't believe we are attributing the correct changes to the correct results in this instance.

Hey Druin and Monk Friends,
With 1.07 arriving I am finally coming back to the Monk class. I started out as a Monk and love the idea of the Monk class, but the Barb was just too tempting and I played that class for a while.

Hey there Crazyarms,

Welcome back! These forums are pretty much the best out there so I am glad you have rejoined us! :D

This guide must be the most phenomenal thing that I have seen on the forums yet.

Why thank you!

I have put together a decent (I think anyway) TR monk, but was wondering what I can do to make it even better and more efficient for Pleveling. My goal is to get to P100, but it seems to be going slowly. Right now I have been leveling on MP1, but I am thinking that maybe I should drop to MP0?

At your level of dps (100k) you will 100% want to stick to MP0.

MP1 MAY be more efficient for people in the 150k range ... but only maybe.

MP levels are NOT pure-TR xp/hr stuff. They are for loot, DE's and Hellfire Rings. :D

1. I am currently running the route Core2 backwards > Rakkis > Fields > Depths 2; is this the best route or should I drop the Core?

The best xp/hr route in the game is MP0 Arreat2 > rakkis (port out at end, skip fields) > Depths2.
This is called "Seaboots' route" and contains the absolute highest mob-density per time in the game.

2. Is my CHC really limiting me here, I am thinking that I may need to get a new Xephy ammy with CHC instead of CHD?

Your CHC is right at the level where Cyclone-Circ is roughly equal to Innerstorm-Sub.

If you are determined to use that Xeph (I do not think it is helping your xp/hr to be honest) then stick with the end-game spec.

My recommendation, on the other hand, is to drop the xeph, craft a BoA ammy with CHC CHD and 200dex, use that for a ~20-30k dps gain and switch SW:C to SW:Inner Storm.

You will have ~130k dps and you should 100% melt everything that exists in Act3 MP0.

Plus, you will actually have MORE spir/sec than you did which means using WoL:EL will be easier on you.

Other than that, I love your build!

Eventually you will want to get a 5+ CHC Hellfire and drop the nat's then switch from Nat's boots to Zuni boots... but that is way in the future. Your Nat's rocks and it shouldn't be a top priority to drop it! :D

Good luck!!!

Is MP0-1 still best for farming xp with TR? Decided I wanted to try something new and TR Monk looked pretty fun so I gave it a shot.

I'm wondering about Nat's 2 set though. I kind of want to switch out my ring and boots to grab the 2 set bonus since I haven't been able to find a decent TR SoJ(found my current one, so figured I'd use it).

Overall I'm wondering about Nat's 2 set, what MP to farm, and where I should go to improve my gear? I know my vit is low and I'm trying to figure out where to improve that atm. My Skorn in my profile isn't updated yet. I have one almost the exact same, but with 2k LoK.

Hello Sharotto,

Welcome to the world of TR monks! It's a pretty fast-paced playstyle and I think you will have a lot of fun!

MP0 is still the best place to be as a TR monk under ~150k DPS.

Some of my TR friends who are sitting around or above the 150k mark are having some success in the >MP0 level of farming but below that it's just not very efficient. (limited testing means answered are subject to change!)

As for 2x Nat's. I wouldn't go for it if you haven't already.
The reason is that even a mediocre SoJ, such as yours, is better than a Nat's ring in most cases.

If we are comparing a 5+CHC Nat's then you have to look at equally good SoJ's and, once more, SoJ wins.

For TR monks, nothing in the game can compare with a 6/2.2/30/7 or 12 SoJ.

Thankfully, Zuni's boots exist so you have a high-dps option in that slot as well.

SoJ + zuni's >> Nat's 2x.

However, this is ONLY true if you plan on using a Hellfire ring.

If you don't want to Hellfire, you should expect slightly lower xp/hr numbers than your average hellfire user but you will open up the option to use both SoJ AND Nat's.

When that is the case, Nat's wins hands down. It's much much better than a rare ring as it potentially gives 13% CHC.

Now, on to other matters:
1. Your Ammy is awesome! Grats on that craft and stick to Spec A, B or C all of which do not require a Xeph ammy. Xeph would almost certainly be a downgrade for you.

2. Your spec.
While Blinding Flash: Faith in the Light was the go-to TR skill in 1.0.6, it is no longer good in 1.0.7. The reason has to do with how Sweeping Wind's damage is calculated.

I know that the guide is not up-to-date on this so bear with me please! :D

Because your CHC is <42%, SW:Cyclone is not going to be as good for you as either SW:Firestorm or SW:Innerstorm + MoC:Sub.

You will almost certainly get better xp/hr and run-speeds out of either of these two specs:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UcXSTQ!Udc!bZbbcZ
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UcXSTk!Udc!bZbYcc

I prefer using Innerstorm-Sub to Firestorm-Circ ... but that is up to you! :D

I will eventually update the guide so that it reflects the new 1.0.7 environment but it is going to be quite a task as I have to re-record a whole suite of movies! :(

Feel free to add me in game if you want to chat more! (if you have already added me, sorry! I have like 15 pending requests!!)

Good luck!!

Is there a way to fairly easily switch from a TR build for farming xp, to a similar build able to do MP6 fairly easily for some Key farming? Or is it all pretty much same TR/Bells build with much better gear?

Also I dumped my Barb to play the monk hence the STR hellfire atm.

Hello Shibbied,

Yea, there is a pretty easy way to switch. You want to switch to this spec:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecYSXQ!bdc!bZcYbZ

Note: this spec requires a lot of All Resist to live in MP6 and it also requires LifeSteal on your Skorn.
If you don't have All Res you can switch out CoR for OWE.
If you don't have LS, stick to cookie-cutter until you do! :D

Note2: you use Faith in the Light because when you encounter an elite pack, popping Faith gives you a lot of extra Bells damage! :D
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/16/2013 10:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
HUGE thanks to everyone who sent in emails getting this thread extended once more!

Clearly I have to be on top of this situation when the thread gets close to a 250 mile marker ... hopefully there will be less dramatics next time! ;)

Also:
New feature!

When you leave a question or comment in this thread, you can leave your twitter and then follow me @DruinTheHappy and then, when I write up a response to your question or an answer to your comment, I will tag you in a "<date> responded to guide" tweet.

That way you don't have to check this thread over and over to see when/if I responded to you! :D
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/16/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Druin
Welcome to the world of TR monks! It's a pretty fast-paced playstyle and I think you will have a lot of fun!

Yes, very fast, but I'm having a great time with it!

If you don't want to Hellfire, you should expect slightly lower xp/hr numbers than your average hellfire user but you will open up the option to use both SoJ AND Nat's.

When that is the case, Nat's wins hands down. It's much much better than a rare ring as it potentially gives 13% CHC.

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm going to use a Hellfire ring yet. Will depend on the rolls I get I guess. Not sure I want to go through the trouble of farming keys and the RNG with crafting a decent one.

Now, on to other matters:
1. Your Ammy is awesome! Grats on that craft and stick to Spec A, B or C all of which do not require a Xeph ammy. Xeph would almost certainly be a downgrade for you.

Thanks! Like I said in another thread, this was the first necklace I crafted when this monk hit 60!

On to a few other questions. I assume that TR is mainly a spec for leveling Paragon and farming low MP? How good is it at higher MPs?

Would it be better to switch to a dual wield spec for higher MPs and Ubers? If so, could you point me to one of those guides? :D

And lastly, should I need a new spec etc for Ubers and higher MP when I'm bored, would I need a secondary gear set or is TR gear closely interchangeable?

Thanks in advanced!
Reply Quote
Hi Dru,

Thanks for this very comprehensive guide, it got me back into playing D3 again after several months of break! Your dedication to this thread and the community is admirable.

I personally feel that a good DPS amulet (the new BoA ones) outshine a Xeph. I rather use it with Inner Storm instead of Cyclone/Firestorm with a Xeph. I'm not really mathy so I'm not sure where the breaking point is. I crafted a BoA ammy today that increases my damage over my Xeph by 18k...alone with ~8k health boost.

Lastly what do you think of using Fire Walkers? At first I thought the lava you leave behind would compliment TR build - plus the SoJ fire damage increase,
Edited by Leuddian#1471 on 2/18/2013 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hello Druin, thanks for all your work on this thread and others, it's been a terrific resource, it really rekindled my interest in playing my monk again after reading 1.07 patch notes when I went searching for builds - I'd been playing a WD because the speed clears were more interesting than cookie cutter monk, and all along there'd been this TR build! *facepalm*

1.07 feels like it has been good to monks, seems there's a lot that's worked just goofing around, even outside TR builds; and that bell is so satisfying!

I was hoping for some of your patented priceless feedback.

I've just started crafting, made my shoulders on the first go, and the bracers on about the 10th (still hunting a good amulet). But after the BoA ammy what should be my next upgrade? The longterm goal is to drop OwE but prices being what they are for things, that's a ways off. But I feel like I will need an all res Zunis and a higher spirit regen Inna's Radiance, ideally with all res as well. I'm wondering what spirit regen I need to look at as a minimum, I'm sitting on about 85mil or if there's a different upgrade I should look for first (for example, my Skorn's LS is on the lower end).

I recently picked up the SoJ seen on my profile (2.0 sps, 6% Lightning, 25%, 6% TR) but I'm wondering if the better SoJ for the patch is actually WoL bonus. I've played with bells a bit, threw them in cookie cutter with some success, and they're just so damn fun! Forgive me if I've overlooked it, but I was hoping you could show me your spec for higher level TR/Bell hybrid. I enjoy TR-speed soloing, but when grouping with friends for keys/essence farming or ubers I just don't feel like I have a spec that translates well for that, so I wind up back in cookie cutter (switch to a rare ring, dual wield). There's also the issue of losing out on the templar's bonus.

Today I also started trying some of your 1.07 suggestions, Air Ally, I'd already been using BoH:BW instead of Faith and so far I've been really liking the Air Ally, that was not one I would have thought to try.

Next up, try dropping SSS:FO for WoL:EW, but I, like Piffle, am concerned about the need to aim!

Anyway, thanks for your time.

EDIT: Wow, did not realize I was that long-winded, if you make it this far, you're a saint!
Edited by KParzival#1124 on 2/16/2013 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Congrats on the extension! TR lives on!!
Reply Quote
I recently picked up the SoJ seen on my profile (2.0 sps, 6% Lightning, 25%, 6% TR) but I'm wondering if the better SoJ for the patch is actually WoL bonus.
TR SOJ's haven't been top for TR builds for some time now. Actually they were SW SOJ's and at the time, TR SOJ's blew up due to Druin's guide. Nobody had caught onto to the SW SOJ's and I didn't tell anybody (nor anybody that knew in the first place would say so either).

Wave of Light SoJ can be usable, as are other SoJ's such as Cyclone Strike, Exploding Palm, etc. It just depends on your spec.
Forgive me if I've overlooked it, but I was hoping you could show me your spec for higher level TR/Bell hybrid.
If you check my guide the proper spec has been there all along. It's been there for weeks.
Next up, try dropping SSS:FO for WoL:EW, but I, like Piffle, am concerned about the need to aim!
Don't run that. Many people are taking the easy (read: noob) way out and using Empowered Wave w/ Exalted Soul. Don't use EW. Make things simple on yourself and select Explosive Light with Breath of Heaven: Infused w/ Light. You don't even need Exalted Soul.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 2/17/2013 12:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Druin,

First of all, thank you for this great guide. Been following the guide for quite some time now, and it's really well-written. =)

Anyways, I have a questions for you.
1) I am currently running SW Cyclone with MOH Circular breathing.
Would it be better if I switched it to SW Inner Storm with MOC Submission?

2) I am running MP1 at the moment with the following route:
(Skycrown -> keeps Lvl 2 -> rakkis -> fields of slaughter -> arreat 2 -> tower of the cursed 1)
I find this route has the best balance in terms of loot/DE/exp for me.
Question is, should I change it to MP0 instead? Or even go to MP2?

3) If you don't mind, could you help me take a look at my gear and help me see what should be my next upgrade? Can't decide which slot to be crafting more at the moment.

4) You mentioned that you're doing MP6 with a TR/Bell build. Do you only TR to elites and only kill elites, or do you kill trash as well?

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Would it be better if I switched it to SW Inner Storm with MOC Submission?

Since I can't see any of your profiles, SW: Inner Storm w/ MoC Sub does more damage but if you have a high base crit chance (50+) then Cyclone should be pretty good for you.
Question is, should I change it to MP0 instead? Or even go to MP2?

With the new changes to the exp rate, just do the MP that you can one shot normal mobs and quick elites fights.
Do you only TR to elites and only kill elites, or do you kill trash as well?

Depends on what you are doing. If you are essence farming then you do not kill trash. If you are leveling, then yes. If you have enough damage to one shot trash packs with WoL: EL then you want to use TR to get from huge trash packs to packs and drop a WoL: EL to destroy most of the mobs and use BoH: IWL to regen the spirit so you can keep running.
Reply Quote
Thank you very much for your guide!

BTW: There is one wrong link in guide:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#2

http://youtu.be/IPs9IiWRf30 < twice the same link in spec B and C movie (video 4 and 5) :)

Greetings (eu player)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]