Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
11/30/2012 04:12 PMPosted by WhiteWizzard
I posted this question in the other main post but you seem to have the final knowledge on this question Does the crit chance of tempest rush (on a SOJ) get added to the final crit chance,or is it a seperate crit? I ask this because I use both the sweeping winds % and the tempest rush crit chance and was wondering witch is more effective . I am able to stack 34% sweeping winds as well as 24% crit ( I think, can't remember off hand) tempest rush. I keep flipping between the two and can't decide witch is better...Thx for any help..

I am not sure I completely understand your question but, if you want to try to achieve my end-game build TR Crit is >>> SW damage.

The reason for this is that more cyclones = more damage spread and more consistent damage while SW damage = more damage for one of the three sources I use for damage.

If you do not want to go with my end-game build and instead want to use SW:Bladestorm or SW:Firestorm then SW damage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TR crit as ~85% of your damage will come from SW.
Reply Quote
i see your reasoning behind cyclones now. but we have very different opinions to them being "plentiful" i guess lol. when you said that i expected them to be popping frequently. the rate youre getting them though is about the same i seen personally and what i would consider "not very often". but i do see what you mean about it cleaning up leftovers ill give it a try again and see
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
11/30/2012 04:51 PMPosted by AdamR
i see your reasoning behind cyclones now. but we have very different opinions to them being "plentiful" i guess lol. when you said that i expected them to be popping frequently. the rate youre getting them though is about the same i seen personally and what i would consider "not very often". but i do see what you mean about it cleaning up leftovers ill give it a try again and see

Yea, it isn't nearly as high as I would like :(

However, it is apparently frequent enough to warrant its use because switching SW runes always decreased my xp/hour!

I think the idea is: run through a pack, if Cyclone - keep running, if not Cyclone - keep running.
When Cyclones do spawn, you get a full pack clear, if they don't you get a partial.

This happens often enough to kill more mobs than Bladestorm or Firestorm.

Also, you can use some "skill" by doubling back for big mobs only if a cyclone didn't spawn so you know right away if you have to waste your time or not while, with another rune, you may double back just to find out that it was going to die from submission or a SW crit or your templar anyways.

Plus, Cyclones do WAY more damage to single targets than Bladestorm or Firestorm which helps kill those big guys without too much time spent.

Just some thoughts!
Reply Quote
noticed your comment about not using ls on skorn and how it was kinda rough. for me personally the loh from unity and my regen seem to be more than enough with serenity. this prolly goes against the max exp/hr but effective in saving money on the skorn. i just pop serenity on any rd or molten elites and smack em down with a couple hits from my main attack.

tried soj but it was counterproductive in my case. i used a 6% tr crit one with cold dam i ended up having to double back instead of instant death when i had the unity on for weak mobs.
Reply Quote

I tried the route a couple times and more than once I hit Fields with 2nv which I think is not optimal. Maybe doing a quick run to Tower of the Damned to get 1-2 nv should be incorporated in this case?

I know that hitting fields with low NV feels bad and I totally acknowledge that there will be terrible runs mixed in there. (hitting Crater 2 with 2 NV ftl)

However, when going for maximum xp/hr over a long period of time, the most important factor is frequency and not single-time experience.

Rakkis and Fields both give good xp without lots of stacks AND let you get stacks at the same time. If you want to do Core and Tower of Damned 1 before because it feels bad to hit relatively high-density zones with low NV, by all means do so!

I assure you I am not guessing though. I personally tested adding both those zones to my run and, while some runs where elite and mob density was high resulted in really good xp/hr, on average, those zones do NOT provide enough xp to make them worth the time they take.

i should have tested that out instead of taking alkaizer's run straight off the bat. then again, being world #1 Paragon lvl 100 lends him some credibility ^_^

will report back on results too

[edit]
and if i may add...finally a great guide on a build that actually works! for me at least, been using a variation for the past month now

[2nd edit]
I want to question the need for lifesteal on skorn if clearing MP0-MP1 for XP. Fulminating Onslaught wipes out most/all elites for me @ 120k DPS, and the need for sustain is given easily by having 10+ pickup radius and picking up health globes along the way.

Really like the guide dude, just got back from the gym maybe i'll watch and listen to the vids while speed farming :D
Edited by Darain#6116 on 11/30/2012 8:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Druin, nice guide and good read, keep it up!

As a side note, atm I farm 60m/hour with this simple idea: stack up exp gear. I go up to 137% with cain set / gem / 2xleoric and inferno ring on both me and follower at mp0 (70kdps unbuffed)

I also use tyrael might (imo awesome for alka route) lacuni to cap 25% MS and witched hour, well nothing too strange aside the tyrael might+cain set up to be honest ;)

For my curiosity, since I HATE to exp and I want to be as efficient as I can, how much exp do you do and how much gold in your opinion would cost me to switch to yours build to improve my exp/hour?

Ty in advice for your reply ;)
Edited by Banjo#2392 on 11/30/2012 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
What I was saying is there is two ways to stack damage on SOJ, tempest rush crit or sweeping winds damage % I was wondering witch is better for damage. As well as does the tempest rush crit get added to the total crit chance of all your other gear or is it a stand alone ability..
Reply Quote
Dear Druin,

Could I borrow all your gears please? I promise to give it back when I hit PL100!

Thanks in advance,

Bandages ^_^
Reply Quote
Looks great dude! Anywhere I can help out shoot me a message.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 05:42 PMPosted by WhiteWizzard
What I was saying is there is two ways to stack damage on SOJ, tempest rush crit or sweeping winds damage % I was wondering witch is better for damage. As well as does the tempest rush crit get added to the total crit chance of all your other gear or is it a stand alone ability..

Tempest rush crit chance adds an additional amount of crit chance to your regular crit chance for the skill.

So my base 40% crit chance with my xp gear, and my SoJ brings my crit chance for Tempest Rush to 45%, while crit for my Deadly reach, SW etc stays at 40%
Reply Quote
Might want to look into viability of Crippling Wave/Rising Tide for spirit regeneration for those who cannot afford spirit gen/DPS gear together and go for pure DPS instead.

I'm using that to make up for my lack of good SoJ
Reply Quote

I am not sure I completely understand your question but, if you want to try to achieve my end-game build TR Crit is >>> SW damage.

at 6% TR crit..
the only bonus you get from SoJ is spirit regen and bonus versus elites, because you can easily get 6% crit rare ring with dex/vit/all res for decent.
Reply Quote
For monks on the cheap if you do not have 4pc Inna's set you can use the 20 sec sweeping winds rune so that you don't have to refresh it at all. You should always be able to reach something to hit to keep it rolling. A helm I would recommend looking at is a madstone or a rare that will give you your spirit regen and a boost to sweeping winds damage.

For weapons skorm is by far the best but it will cost you, for about 1/10 of the price you can find a good messerschmidts reaver or a rare mace, axe or polearm that will get you by until you can get that skorm.

If you don't have a second source of spirit regen other then your helm you can still do a rush run but you will not kill things as quickly because you will need to skill for regen. I find that I can keep up on full spirit with 3pc Inna's a 2.33 helm and using "circular breathing"
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bcSYXQ!Zdc!cZacbZ

triple dipping on % damage boosts is a must before starting your sweeping winds that way you make the most of your skills.

I find I have a make a second or third pass through high hit point mobs and stop to fight elites head on some of the time but I find it more enjoyable then face tanking in upper MP levels or taking time running slowly between packs only to one shot them when in a full dps spec in low MP.
Reply Quote
Thx for the clairification that was what I needed to know.I have been toying with this style of build every since I could afford to and it is still my favorite way to play.I now have a flying dragon (that I got before the hype) that is almost comparable to the skorn. 142 crit damage 8% tempest rush crit, 1203 DPS. Not a skorn but on those days I feel like putting on my tinfoil "jedi hat its the closest to pure I can get (for now). Now that this is posted on the fourm for all to see I am glad I have my gear already, because this will put it through the roof in terms of price. Don't forget that if you can throw in a little LPSS you will do fine.
Reply Quote
Incredible stuff, Druin.

I am super busy IRL (wif/job/kids/other hobbies), so I super-appreciate the efficiency of this build. I did my own experimentation early on and settled on firestorm over cyclone (40+CC). I'd like to see more testing of those two SW runes (would need SW SoJ to compare with TR SoJ).

I'd also be interested in gold per hour. With max GF and 7 pickup, and no effort whatsoever to pick up gold, i had been incidentally picking up over 500k per hour.

I run no spirit generating basic attacks in my build. I like BoH/blazing wrath instead because it does not require stopping, increases speed of "set up" at start of run, and can be used with fast reflexes to mitigate damage spikes (+ obvious SW damage).

For overawe vs. submission... if killing elites is a limiting factor, overawe does a better job of boosting SSS. I'm still not sure which is better generally, but I have a feeling submission's 'damage spread' is more important than boosting SSS. Since a larger proportion on the SW/Cyclone style is done outside of the influence of MoC, submission may also be better for Cyclone vs. Firestorm. Just mentioning factors that could make a difference in optimum set-ups.

Interesting observations you made in your videos about Constant TR vs. Frequent-Restart TR and rubberbanding... and the 'keeps 2 square'... and the Cyclone direction lock... Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Now i just have to make up the 40 mil exp I lost by watching videos instead of doing runs!
Reply Quote
Another thought:

Given importance of damage spread for efficiency, is it possible that a well-geared enchantress with Maximus becomes more efficient than spirit regen Templar due to her/her demon's ability to finish off stragglers? Maybe if you had very high spirit regen and dps?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Another thought:

Given importance of damage spread for efficiency, is it possible that a well-geared enchantress with Maximus becomes more efficient than spirit regen Templar due to her/her demon's ability to finish off stragglers? Maybe if you had very high spirit regen and dps?

The answer is yes but not for an enchantress.

If you can get enough spirit regen, a well geared Scoundrel with ~20-25k dps can really help out.
Not to mention he will provide you with 3 more crit which is really sweet.

If I was able to switch out my Legacy Zuni's boots for 1.0.4 Zuni boots (-5% IAS +3%ele dmg) I would have switched my templar out for my scoundrel.

Good call, I will try and include a section on that! :D
Reply Quote
so this set up is only recommended for lower mp? How would you handle higher mp?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
12/01/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Hoppipolla
so this set up is only recommended for lower mp? How would you handle higher mp?

Working on that, this setup is simply for MP0 xp farming.

When I need to carry people through MP10 I simply use the standard FoT:TC SW:Cyclone build for now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]