Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
@Druin

Thanks for the response. You're right my SoJ and Xyph ammy aren't any good (besides the Spirit Regen) and is probably the reason why I've found using Inner Storm and Circular Breathing to be more XP/hour. If I had an ideal SoJ and Xyph with cc% or chd then I'd probably have better results using them. I've switched to Fleet Footed and found it to not really help as you pointed out. Perhaps I could get a better SoJ with TR cc%, change Fleet Footed to Exalted Soul, and drop either CircBreathing or InnerStorm or perhaps even both!

I've picked up a better Skorn that increased my buffed DPS by 11k but I lost a little LoH (which is really useless on low MP anyway since most health regen comes from globes). Ideally, I want to move up to MP 2-3 to get the extra MF/GF while keeping XP/hour right around 65mil/hour.

Anyway, I have some experimenting to do tonight if I can find a reasonably priced SoJ! I'll get back to you with any new results.

Hey Slap,

I am glad you found my critique/suggestions helpful or at least accurate! ;)

As for the MP thing, I think you might be a bit disappointed so here are the results of my personal testing as well as some other concurrent testing from other TR monks:
MP0 - Best xp/hr from <100k dps to ~140k dps
MP1 - same xp/hr as MP0 at ~140k dps, better at >140k dps
MP2 - never shown to be >= MP1 for xp/hr but possibly better at >200k dps
MP3 - will most likely never be better than lower MPs for TR monks

Aiming for MP1 is pretty reasonable and I was able to extract a pretty hefty 10-15% efficiency increase there by using my uber-gear ... but MP2 and 3 are both somewhere between unattainable and flat out non-efficient.

I think you will actually get more efficient Magic Find by just getting your xp/hr as high as possible on MP0 and getting paragon levels! :D

Sorry :(

———————————————————————————————————————

Hi Druin,

First, for fear of sounding like a broken record, I really appreciate your efforts. You are knowledgeable and informative without being didactic and condescending. Cheers.

Next, I've got a (perhaps) unique question for you. I absolutely love the TR playstyle, and am really enjoying 1.07 Bells. I play in two situations: 1) solo MP0 farming for xp and items, and 2) playing in mid-to-high MP with my brother who is a similarly equipped wizard. Previously, I used TR for my solo farming, and switched to a cookie FoT:TC, EF/WKL setup for the mid-to-high MP runs with the wizzie (he runs a stunlock build). However, I got completely sick of cookie cutter, and recently sold my EF and WKL to force myself to find a more dynamic and enjoyable (hopefully 2-h) way to play mid-MP with a wizard partner.

So, on to the question(s): I have 180M to spend on upgrades, and my goal is to be a better MP0/1 TR soloer AND a better partner at mid-MP with a wizard companion. If you were in my situation, how would you spend your money and time? Also, what builds would u use for each? I realize my life on kill skorn won't cut it at higher MP, so maybe all of my $$ (plus some) will have to go towards a LS skorn, and then i'll have to spend time farming for crafting materials for better bracers/gloves/etc.

NB: my profile has bladestorm only for experimentation, i'm aware of firestorm's superiority (but was curious about increased bladestorm dmg in 1.07). I also have a nat's ring.

Twitter: @IanSeiple

Thanks for taking the time :).

Hello Merp,

Thanks so much for the kind words! I try really hard to stay positive and it's always nice to have that apprecaited! :D

Okay, I love your build, your approach to having fun and your enthusiasm! I think you are in a pretty good spot and I totally understand the feeling of wanting to drop the cookie-cutter.

I had a 1k dps LS socket EF and I finally realized it had been sitting in my stash for 2 strait weeks so I soled it :P Just not my playstyle!

Thankfully, 1.0.7 has brought a whole new high-MP build into play for monks and I think you will enjoy taking advantage of it!

I am going to split my comment up into two sections, low-mp and high-mp:

1. Low-MP
You have a pretty good TR setup going and you definitely have the potential to run a solid Cyclone-Sub build or a solid Inner-Sub build depending on what you want to do.

The first thing to do is switch STI in for OWE. Because you have Phys-res and the vast majority of the "killer" damage in MP0 is phys, STI+phys-res > OWE for MP0 TRing.

Next, you have two paths, if you want to go the route of Cyclone-Sub, you need to farm up a CHC Hellfire ring. I have upped the CHC req for Cyclone builds to 45% in my guide and I stand by that increase.

1.0.7 actually nerfed Cyclone by making it no longer spawn behind you and this means you need a bit more CHC to make it worthwhile.

If you get a nice 5% CHC Hellfire, you will be sitting on 46% chance to crit with TR and that should be enough to make Cyclone worth it.

Path two is selling off the CHC xeph, selling off the TR CHC SoJ and buying a SW damage SoJ and crafting BoA ammys until you get a nice CHC CHD one.

In this case, you are going to want to switch to a Inner-Sub build and the lack of CHC on your hellfire won't be a problem.

You might want to both craft BoA ammys AND Hellfires (that covers farming MP0 on your own and high-MP farming with your bro) and whichever one yields the right stats first, go with that! :D

your gloves and bracers are both fine for now and you should only craft them once you are locked into a specific TR build.

Note: you may need a tad bit more All resists in order to make the OWE>STI switch, if so, look for a low AR Inna's belt and/or low AR inna's chest. These will be expensive so only do this after you have tested without buying them and found it lacking.

2. High-MP
Here you are going to want to abuse that Nat's set!

Here are two possible builds:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eaXSgk!bdU!bYbYYa

This build is all about holding down the FoT:Quickening button and mashing the bells button at the same time. Your monk will fall into a rotation of bell > fot > fot > bell > fot > fot >bell and it will provide you with nearly infinite bells.

If you do get a LS skorn, because the bells happen regularly instead of in a burst (like the spec below), you tend to get a more steady stream of sustain and that can help with ubers and tough elite packs.

This is my preferred build for higher MP farming.

You can also sub in Dashing Strike:Quicksilver or TR:Tailwind in place of Blazing wrath or even Serenity. (if you feel comfortable doing so)

Note: I never play with serenity, only DS:Q or TR:TW! :D

or....
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eaXSgk!bdU!aabcYa

The concept behind this build is to FoT things until you are at 250 spirit, then cast Overawe > bell bell bell and then back to FoT.

You have the power for FoT:TC + SW:C going while you auto attack and then you get a massive 2h skorn burst with overawe.

This build is much more like the "cookie-cutter" because of the TC-Cyclone interaction but you get the fun of blowing things up with bells as well.

I use this spec for MP10 ubers but I sub in the stun-on-crit rune (blinding light) for bells and it allows me to "infinitely" stun them.
You have a CM wiz so I am guessing perma-stun is not a big issue for you! ;)

Gear wise, you actually want pretty normal gear for high MP bells builds because your FoT spam combined with GP (which DOES increase the spirit gained from FoT:Q btw) will be responsible for most of your spirit generation.

With this in mind, I would recommend ditching the hellfire for Nat's and get a bell-crit SoJ or just a good 6/2/28/fot SoJ if you don't want to spend the gold on a bell-crit one just for high-MP.

I honestly do not believe high-MP bells is a viable build without LS so you have the right of it there ... you are going to want to get a LS skorn and they cost a LOT :P

You might want to spend a little on a new SoJ, a little on crafting some items and then a LOT on a LS Skorn.

The LS Skorn won't REALLY help your MP0 runs, but your gear is pretty nice for that already and both paths you have don't call for huge gold investments.

Hopefully you find this helpful!

Good luck!!
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/21/2013 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Druin,

Thank you for your great guide.

Can you please take a small look at my gear and tell me what I can do better with small amount of gold? I know the SoJ is missing but hard to find in the auction house without any filter :(

Also the prices in EU seems to be a bit higher. The cheapest SoJ I found was around 30m gold...

Thanks in advance and nice greeting from Paris.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nexie-2258/hero/25307163
Edited by nexie#2258 on 2/21/2013 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
very good guide. im in the midst of finishing up leveling my monk to 60 atm. 7 levels (47 lvls last night)to go and plan to make it a TR so i can have a change on pace from using my sns wiz from button mash in high mps.

i think i have most of the gear to start with. i have 2 inna helms but dont know what the random props are sat in stash forever. but the belt and pants i have are with vit. i plan to use a nat boots and ring with hidden average damage. most of my dh gear which should set me about 45cc.

i have maybe 4 mill to spend and it looks like a good portion of that would go to inna vest. otherwise i would have to use the inna weapon which seems to be a big no.

also whats ur thought on crafted shoulders for vit also. ive making vit shoulds for my wiz since they can roll up to 300 and then 200 none main stat and while shooting for some for wiz i got a 90 str, 202 vit, 150 dex, plus armor, 9%life 70 ra which seem better than viles due to amount life these will give me with average or low dex.

im not enterily sure how this will end up for me the first try lol
Edited by bda145#1879 on 2/21/2013 2:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
I leveled a monk a couple of days ago. I had primarily been a Barb and wanted a change. Started reading this post and remembered that I had a couple Xeph amulets in my stash. One was no good, but the other has 2.00 Spirit regen, 7.5CC and 48CD. There is not a single Xeph with Spirit Regen/CC/CD on the Gold or RMAH. I take it this is a very rare combo.

Am wondering if I should sell it or use it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW: my profile has a SW/Overawe build at the moment as I have not started buying TR gear yet. If gear is missing it is on my DH.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the thorough response Druin! I began crafting ammys tonight, and on the third try i got a 8.5 CHC 74% CHD ammy with some other nice bonuses (11k health bonus on globes, 50% more gold from monsters, LR). It upped my DPS by 18k (LOL), so I switched to a Inner/Sub build for MP0.

I'm still experimenting with spirit––i don't know if a spirit generator is necessary with 13 spirit/sec regen. I find so far that 90% of the time it's unnecessary, but sometimes when i take 2–3 bells to kill an elite pack (if they spread out and i'm noob), i'm stuck at no spirit and have to wait. Switching FoT:TC for Air Ally gives an interesting combo, but may not be quite consistent enough.

I have yet to try out the higher MP stuff, but i'm VERY intrigued by the potential to stunlock. I would love to see a video!

I'll probably have some follow up questions soon enough! For now, time to sell my Xeph ammy and look for a LS skorn...
Reply Quote
hi again Druin. i couldnt be around much but i am kinda back after 1.07. not a hardcore player, now more of a causal player.

first i am looking forward to that "pending" part of the guide as i am curious about your experience on new builds etc on 1.07.

but before that i have made some tests, crafted a few items and made some upgrades.

this is my eu profile.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Morph-2682/hero/15670777

now i think after the patch the Xeph amulet's kingdom has ended. i am glad to be able to sell mine for a reasonable price, which had 8 cc and a few survival stats.

without the huge boost of Xeph on spirit, i run with 2 different builds for 2 different purposes.

1st : for farming only elites

i use this build

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecSgXQ!bcd!bZYYbZ

i farm VoA on mp5 easly. the key is here to have not much but decent all ress, LS and ofcourse a SoJ. imao the bonus skill on SoJ is not so much important as CC on WoL wont hurt ofc. But the most important is SoJ's bonus on elites should be high, and ofcourse atleast 2+ spirit regen.

btw maybe i dont have survival problems on mp5 with around 450-500 ress but still i prefer Serenity over BF or any other skill for that slot. because i farm VoA with that build and the pack in VoA can be very annoying. yes they can avoidable with TR, but in this situation think Serenity as a dps skill for faster farming intead of defensive skill :) activate Serenity, spam a few WoL and they are dead. no need to move around :)

2nd: for experience

i use this build on Mp0 act3 with the old fashion route (areat2, depths2, rakkis etc)

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acSeXQ!Zcd!aZcbbZ

now as most of us dont use Xeph ammulets, we cant use Submission with Cyclone. i needed to prefer one of them. i tried both of them with appropriate SoJs and as i realized MoH with Cyclone is better than MoC with Inner Strom.

i tried this on mp1 and mp2 also. maybe with 140-150k+ dps it seems mp1 is easy in the beginning but in the long run Mp0 still beats them in terms of exp/hour. and its a quite buff on us, why dont we use it? i still run Mp0 but much much more faster. i mean i just run around with %34 movespeed and never go back. so still mp0 :)

the best part with these 2 builds and gameplays, the only difference is SoJ. now while exp farming the TR SoJ is kinda opposite of WoL SoJ. now i shouldnt focus on "bonus vs. elites" as they die in 1-2 secs. the key is here the CC of TR. for example i run with 40cc(which is more with old gear but self crafted ones are always feel better to use :) ) and i use a SoJ with 7cc to TR. so this mean i kinda run with 47cc so almost always Cyclones spawn for big monster and small ones die while running.

in conclusion i am sure you tested them also and already knew this Druin, but this just for a bit contribution and to help newbies.

and also saw your stream, lol i cant catch you online yet but gratz on it :)

again sry for my bad english. have and gl all TR monkeys :)
Reply Quote
Hello Druin.

I am interested in trying out higher MPs using the WoL/TR hybrid for DE farming. Is a LS Skorn required to be successful? I dont have alot of gold and what little I do have I plan to spend on crafting since upgrades aren't really affordable. I have tuned my current TR gear to help acquire gold while leveling, via either pickup radius or maxing MF hoping to get the one legendary that give me the big pay day so I can buy that end game Skorn.

BTW - Does anyone still run Ubers? I need a crit Hellfire ring. I must of rolled 25+ of them across all my characters and have got crit on just one of them :( I believe it my first STR ring and about my 5th or 6th craft.

@ProfDoombledore
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey Druin,

Thank you for your great guide.

Can you please take a small look at my gear and tell me what I can do better with small amount of gold? I know the SoJ is missing but hard to find in the auction house without any filter :(

Also the prices in EU seems to be a bit higher. The cheapest SoJ I found was around 30m gold...

Thanks in advance and nice greeting from Paris.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nexie-2258/hero/25307163

Hello Nexie,

Thanks for the support from Paris! :D

Your build looks pretty solid. It looks like you have the framework completely put together so the only thing you need now is to build it up.

As you already mentioned, dropping your right ring (clever Blaze) for a nice SW damage SoJ will let you start crafting BoA Ammys and eventually replace your Xeph with a good CHC CHD Dex ammy.

This should increase your DPS and spirit regen.

The second big thing you can do is get a much better gem for your skorn. The cost per 10% CHD of increasing your gem tier is pretty favorable until you get to a star emerald at which point it starts being expensive (though still worth it).

I would recommend aiming for a flawless star AT LEAST and perhaps a perfect star.

The last thing I would recommend is upgrading your Skorn.

I think you should only do this once you have the SoJ/crafted ammy situation under control because until then you don't really have the DPS to spare.

You could look for a 1350dps Life on Kill skorn or a ~1300 Life Steal skorn with lower CHD.

Either would give you a bit more sustain.

Good luck!

very good guide. im in the midst of finishing up leveling my monk to 60 atm. 7 levels (47 lvls last night)to go and plan to make it a TR so i can have a change on pace from using my sns wiz from button mash in high mps.

i think i have most of the gear to start with. i have 2 inna helms but dont know what the random props are sat in stash forever. but the belt and pants i have are with vit. i plan to use a nat boots and ring with hidden average damage. most of my dh gear which should set me about 45cc.

i have maybe 4 mill to spend and it looks like a good portion of that would go to inna vest. otherwise i would have to use the inna weapon which seems to be a big no.

also whats ur thought on crafted shoulders for vit also. ive making vit shoulds for my wiz since they can roll up to 300 and then 200 none main stat and while shooting for some for wiz i got a 90 str, 202 vit, 150 dex, plus armor, 9%life 70 ra which seem better than viles due to amount life these will give me with average or low dex.

im not enterily sure how this will end up for me the first try lol

Hello Bda145,

Welcome to the world of Tempest Rush! :D I think you will enjoy it as it is a pretty big change from the sns wiz play style.

It is extremely important to have spirit/sec on your Inna's hat so if you don't have that on the two you have, I would sincerely recommend getting one.

You also do need 4x inna's and the weapon is simply not an option so you will have to spend some gold on a chest. You can definitely get single-resist inna's chests for less than 4m though so good luck there! :D

Those crafted shoulders look REALLY good! Use them for sure.

One of the big problems for most low-budget TR specs is finding a place to get some Vit and those shoulders have it covered.

Looking forward to seeing what you make up! :D

I leveled a monk a couple of days ago. I had primarily been a Barb and wanted a change. Started reading this post and remembered that I had a couple Xeph amulets in my stash. One was no good, but the other has 2.00 Spirit regen, 7.5CC and 48CD. There is not a single Xeph with Spirit Regen/CC/CD on the Gold or RMAH. I take it this is a very rare combo.

BTW: my profile has a SW/Overawe build at the moment as I have not started buying TR gear yet. If gear is missing it is on my DH.

Hello Oakover,

That is indeed a very good Xeph ammy.

It is good enough that you could probably ride it strait to an end-game TR spec. It is also good enough that it would sell for enough gold to fully fund an end-game TR spec.

Up to you! :D

Honestly, I would just buy the highest DPS skorn you can afford with Life on Kill on it, buy a spir/sec inna's hat and then use your hellfire and Nat's combo to TR with either a Cyclone-Circ spec (if you manage to get high enough CHC) or a Inner-Sub spec.

You should easily break 100k dps because Skorn is OP and 2x Nat's is a lot of dps! :D

Thanks for the thorough response Druin! I began crafting ammys tonight, and on the third try i got a 8.5 CHC 74% CHD ammy with some other nice bonuses (11k health bonus on globes, 50% more gold from monsters, LR). It upped my DPS by 18k (LOL), so I switched to a Inner/Sub build for MP0.

I'm still experimenting with spirit––i don't know if a spirit generator is necessary with 13 spirit/sec regen. I find so far that 90% of the time it's unnecessary, but sometimes when i take 2–3 bells to kill an elite pack (if they spread out and i'm noob), i'm stuck at no spirit and have to wait. Switching FoT:TC for Air Ally gives an interesting combo, but may not be quite consistent enough.

I have yet to try out the higher MP stuff, but i'm VERY intrigued by the potential to stunlock. I would love to see a video!

I'll probably have some follow up questions soon enough! For now, time to sell my Xeph ammy and look for a LS skorn...

Hey Merp,

Glad you lucked out with the ammy crafting! That is exactly what I was hoping would happen! :D

For reference on my lowbie Monk, Drusn, you can see me running a zero-gen Inner-Sub build with gear that costs <25m total (gems included). I am only running at 12.69 spir/sec so it is definitely possible.

I was able to break 80m xp/hr with that set-up.

That being said, I hear you on the running out of spirit issue ... it is a rather unforgiving build because it requires you to never mess up with bell placement.

Grats bud! :D

hi again Druin. i couldnt be around much but i am kinda back after 1.07. not a hardcore player, now more of a causal player.

first i am looking forward to that "pending" part of the guide as i am curious about your experience on new builds etc on 1.07.

Hey Morph,

Welcome back! the pending part will focus on higher MP loot farming TR/Bells hybrid stuff ... I am actually working on a complete rework of the actual guide itself to be up to date for 1.0.7 so you can see the "new" TR specs sooooon! :D

now i think after the patch the Xeph amulet's kingdom has ended. i am glad to be able to sell mine for a reasonable price, which had 8 cc and a few survival stats.

100% agreed. Xeph is no longer the king of TR specs and BoA ammys are here to take the throne.

without the huge boost of Xeph on spirit, i run with 2 different builds for 2 different purposes.

I read all of your experiences and I must say, it sure is nice to read about someone doing/experiencing EXACTLY the same things as me! :D

The spec you linked for VotA runs is identical to mine (though I have slightly higher dps and eHP so I run Faith instead of Seren because dying isn't an issue).

The spec you linked for MP0 farming is one of the "new" 1.0.7 specs that will shortly be available for viewing in my guide and your reasoning for choosing Cyclone-Circ over Inner-Sub is the exact reasoning I give in the guide to make that choice!

I, personally, was able to actually gain xp/hr efficiency from MP1 over MP0 so you might want to look at that again, but I was running Inner-Sub due to having lower than ideal CHC. It is possible that Cyclone-Circ favors MP0 while Inner-Sub favors MP1 with high enough DPS .. I will have to check it out! :D

+100000 for sharing results and confirming things! I appreciate the corroboration!

and also saw your stream, lol i cant catch you online yet but gratz on it :)

again sry for my bad english. have and gl all TR monkeys :)

Thanks for the support bud! :D I will be streaming more so hopefully we will have more chances to hang out soon.

Your English is fine, no worries! :D

Hello Druin.

I am interested in trying out higher MPs using the WoL/TR hybrid for DE farming. Is a LS Skorn required to be successful? I dont have alot of gold and what little I do have I plan to spend on crafting since upgrades aren't really affordable. I have tuned my current TR gear to help acquire gold while leveling, via either pickup radius or maxing MF hoping to get the one legendary that give me the big pay day so I can buy that end game Skorn.

BTW - Does anyone still run Ubers? I need a crit Hellfire ring. I must of rolled 25+ of them across all my characters and have got crit on just one of them :( I believe it my first STR ring and about my 5th or 6th craft.

@ProfDoombledore

Hello Dozens,

I wish I had a better answer for you regarding the LS Skorn question but I have never thought to test high-MP farming without my LS Skorn.

MY gut feeling is that it would be EXTREMELY difficult without the Skorn.

The bells/TR build naturally tends to have lower eHP than other builds and my monk frequently bounces between 100% HP and 20% HP while spamming bells. If I didn't have LS I wouldn't get 100% full heals every time I cast a single bell and I would probably die a lot more.

I hear you about the one legendary payday! :D I am still waiting on mine to happen so I can afford a 1h dueling wep!

I believe some people still run ubers so I am willing to bet you could get to be part of a group and get them done!

Good luck!
Reply Quote

Hello Oakover,

That is indeed a very good Xeph ammy.

It is good enough that you could probably ride it strait to an end-game TR spec. It is also good enough that it would sell for enough gold to fully fund an end-game TR spec.

Up to you! :D

Honestly, I would just buy the highest DPS skorn you can afford with Life on Kill on it, buy a spir/sec inna's hat and then use your hellfire and Nat's combo to TR with either a Cyclone-Circ spec (if you manage to get high enough CHC) or a Inner-Sub spec.

You should easily break 100k dps because Skorn is OP and 2x Nat's is a lot of dps! :D

Thanks for the response.

I think that I might list the ammy on the AH any time I am not using it a reasonably high price and see if anyone bites. If not I can get the benefit of using it :)

There is another Xeph with 181dex and 8CHC listed for 500m. I put both in a dmg calc and it is better than mine. Do you think that 450m is unreasonable for mine?

Got a skorn and inna's rad with spirit I can hit around 125 sheet dmg with the Xeph on (145 buffed with BoH:BW). I have a 1.78spirit/cold/29%dmg elites SoJ from my Barb, it is not TR but would change the build I should aim for?

I have 43%CHC so I guess that means I am close to Cyclone-Circ being the most efficient. This is what I have been running with SSS but I might try a couple of other builds. Got 13.74 spirit regen with MoH:CB so that might open a few options. Getting 56M/hr consistently so I have more work to do to increase that but I have not run a timer since adding BoH:BW.

Sorry to hit you up with all of these questions. Thanks for whatever help you have time for.
Edited by Oakover#6193 on 2/23/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
i have hit level 60! bought some cheap gear with the little gold i had left think i spent 3 mill total for vast and helm and the 350k for skorn with lok. ended at 96k dps with switching my dh stuff to monk and getting the helm skorn and chest.

once i have time i think ill farm voa and get essences to craft some bracers for me and save to get a better helm.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey everyone! Just bumping this so that y'all can check out the new and improved 1.0.7 version of the guide!

I will be back to answering questions here on Monday until then, see you at my stream! ;)
Reply Quote
haha

actually i am very excited and flattered when i saw your update. i came here to say "hey i found the most effective build for 1.07 imao" and i saw your bump ;)

first i wanna tell the story like i didnt see your "update for 1.07" post.

like i said i have been doing experiments on TR after 1.07 (when i came back to play)

for this, i bought 3 different SoJs for like 80-100m range. one with 7CC to TR crit, one with 12% to SW dmg, and one with 2cc to WoL but high bonus to elites. all of them like 2 or 2+ spirit regens.

anyways i wont discuss about WoL elite kill, essence farming build as most of us know them already.

while i was playing for exp/hour i came to that conclusion. i have 2 choices:

1- keep using cyclones, drop Xeph amu, to gain spirit use MoH:CB

2-try something else :)

now when i came here i remembered that when i first read that post i was told MoC:Sub is the best to spread dmg. and if u farm for xp/hour on mp0 the most important thing is to spread dmg.

then i began trying to figure out how i can compensate the spirit loss from Xeph amu while still using MoC:Sub.

ok i wont keep it long, i tried old fashion Cyclone, but after test the best result is this build :) (on mp0 ofcourse)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acSjXk!cdb!aZbbbc

now although this build is nice. it requires to achieve some point as we dont use Xeph anymore.

req: 140+ dps unbuffed(w/o blazing wrath), gain that dps w/o any ias (just only %8-9 from innas pants), 2+spirit regen SoJ with SW damage and Inna's Helm with 2.3-2.4 spirit regen.

now maybe these can seem hard, remember that you wont need that much hp and res for mp0. for example i changed my helm with a very cheap one with high dex and 2.3 spirit regen(high cc ofc)

actually i imagine it works wonders if you have 150-160k dps w/o any ias, just dex,avg,cc and cd. and i know it can be reachable.

i just dont make any upgrades as i want to be sure as this is the best for 1.07.

ps: you can add me on EU if u have smt to offer me about this build. as i have now 1b+ (hope to have more because of selling my DH gear) but still using that low 80m skorn.

now maybe i ramble this a bit but here is the conclusion.

do this if u meet the requirements for spirit regen and dps w/o ias. and you will just run, i mean literally just run, SW kills them, if smt leaves behind Ally kills them, and when you are on elites, you run them, they are on low hp and you just FT them for once or twice. they die and you will get spirit too.

btw iam running this route for exp. very efficient with this build also as its short and no need infinite spirit regen.

areat 2
depths 2
rakkis

now the best part :)

i came here to write these. then i saw your bump. b4 i write i go and read the upgrades. 1st i was like "i was wrong still cyclones" etc.

then while i was reading i saw that part (best for TR but high cost and need skill to play etc")

that was the exact same build i came up :)

another time that Druin helped me alot. lol when i start d3 i played with Wiz then DH. they have a total of 1k+ played hours maybe but they cant reach a Monk lol.

i have just 100 hours with monk and already 60+ paragon. thanks to Druin :)

btw i will looking forward to hear about hybrid/tr for high mps. actually iam running mp6 with him but dont wanna spend that millions on these SoJs and gear anymore lol

you will already know the best build. so i will wait. i wont make the same mistake.

keep up that work for all the "lucky" newbies. thx. have fun :)

EDIT: for even better

it seems elites die faster with your spreaded SW and MoC:Sub. so if you can "achieve" the spirit gear and dps you can drop FoT for favor of Dashing Strike for more speed. Or Exalted Soul for Fleet Footed.

lol i found the new aim. drop FoT for Dashing Strike: Way of The Falling Star :)
Edited by Morph#2682 on 2/23/2013 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi Druin,

Thank you for this awesome guide.

Can you please take a small look at my gear and tell me what I should upgrade next? I know the HF ring is not good enough but after 25 attempts this is the best.

Which MP should i aim for xp farming?
Can you also tell which MP should i aim for elite/loot farming only? I will drop HF ring and Helm ruby after max mf.

Do you guys know if there is any way to know if marques ruby better than emerald?

Thanks in advance!
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/vassago-2205/hero/49304
Edited by vassago#2205 on 2/24/2013 4:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Druin,

Thank you very much for writing what is likely the best gaming guide I've ever read.

--Mike
Reply Quote
Hi Druin,

love ur guide, I built my TR according to it (variant A), but right now i am stuck with upgrading my gear. I seriously dont know what to upgrade next with my budget of 50m. My res are 393 physical (188 AR from that). Thx in advance for any gearing up advice. Also if u see improvement for my skills, feel free to say it, right now i get 2 spirit/sec from gear and with templar 3 spirit/sec while TRing.
My aacount is messed up (stuck to americas even thou my primary is EU) so here is link to my hero

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LongIsland-2121/hero/17131463
Reply Quote
First thank you for your guide. That Cyclone tip was really helpful. I'd like to add a few things:

Playing WoL even with EW requires massive spirit - I've found it unplayable without ES. Also it will make you to standstill for a noticable amount of time. You will still kill elites faster than with anything else but you'd better not cast it twice on a molten group when the first wave is already exploding... Also it makes a fine goblin killer - just wait for their invulnerability to drop and *bam*. That makes sure you don't have to run somewhere you don't want to following them.

You totally underplay Serenity. You don't have to drop anything for it if you don't play both a spirit generator and an elite killer (SSS/WoL) (or even Air Ally, who the f*ck uses that) - which would be overkill anyway if you got enough spirit regen on your gear. While I don't usually die Serenity allows me to charge head first into an elite pack of fireball-spitters (A3, like those flyers or shield-casters) without any resistances or much vitality. Also it allows immediate looting on molten packs without any haste. And most importantly you can just stomp that WoL on RD packs and even while you are loosing health from the first part of WoL you have enough to time to put up your bubble for the second part of WoL. So you don't loose any time waiting for the reflect to drop.

On damage: you make a fine point on SW:FS damage but fail to hint that for the mobs to take more damage than any other SW rune you have to keep your movement speed the same (i.e. for comparison). More movement means noticeably less damage on mobs which are not immediately following you (like ALL ranged monsters and some melees like Fallen Overlord). So you probably shouldn't switch to FF if you still want to use SW:FS.

About amulets: I use a Xephirian amulet with 8% crit - and according to a damage calculator the 26% weapon damage I gain from using MoC:Sub which I would have to switch for MoH:CB would require my new amulet to have at least 175dex, 9crit and 85cd which would cost a hell of a lot.

PS: Some people now put rubies into their Skorn - do you have any data about that?
Edited by lehmip#2236 on 2/24/2013 4:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Holy walls of text batman.

¯\(°_o)/¯

[gloat]
Edit: Broke 300k sustained dps finally.
[/gloat]
Edited by Narcolepsy#1563 on 2/24/2013 4:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
—[ Spec Variations ]—
—[ I ]—
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acjSXk!cd!aZbcbc
This spec can be used with net-neutral or even net-negative spir/sec.

The idea behind this spec is to provide the most damage spread that is possible with any TR spec out there.

You have Cyclone, Air Ally and Submission ALL spreading out your DPS over lots of area.

Because this spec can run SW:Cyclone, FoT:Thunderclap becomes very powerful for killing elites and so you don't lose much elite kill speed compared to WoL or SSS builds.

Due to the fact that Air Ally will help you gain spirit and FoT:TC will generate spirit every time you fight an elite pack, this build can actually be used at net-neutral or net-negative spirit/sec which means you can use a lower spir/sec Xeph and SoJ.

With FoT:TC as your only elite killing tool, this spec does require a fair amount of effective HP to be usable.

Pros: best damage spread, relatively low spir/sec requirement
Cons: moderate elite kill speed, high gear-cost

I recommend this spec for monks who already have a good CHC Xeph ammy and a fairly tanky TR setup. Also for monks who happen to have a VERY strong SoJ+Inna's Hat setup.

I think you are right on regarding this spec, Druin!

I settled upon this spec while trying different things out in 1.07.

Here's my impression: The damage spread is crazy. Air ally does noticeable damage, and he runs fast to the stragglers. Between him and my 20k scoundrel, they clean up with the cyclones. A marquise ruby increases my damage spread more and does an ally good since they have capped CD. On MP 1, elites die fast to FOT. I typically have spirit to spam MoC: Submission to help elites die even faster.

Some variations I tried but did not like:
DR: Foresight-- elite kill times went up too much
Exalted Soul over CoR -- It happens that I run positive TR spirit regen with CoR, but not with exalted soul, although the larger pool is nice, the net negative I got with Exalted Soul eventually bothered me enough that I went back to CoR and don't regret at all.

I have found air ally's spirit regen to be silly. I've gone whole runs without a proc. He makes up with it in damage spread, however!

Cheers!
Reply Quote
Hey Druin,

Always love your guide (I've been waiting for the loot/hour section!). Have you any preliminary advice on that front? Or demonic essence advice?

Subjectively it feels as if VotA is the best area, though the blazing guardians are occassionally annoying (I've crafted close to 200 gloves hoping for gloves with ch/cd and some sustain no luck).

A1/3 MP8 feels comfortable since elites are less clustered than Vault of the Ancients.

For A2 - MP 6 "feels" optimal as the elites die before I run out of spirit and deaths are rare. I've experimented with swapping in a xeph amulet (1.8spirit/9.5 crithit which I snagged for 250k, I haven't seen one with a 3rd damage stat that looks appealing) but it takes a 30k dps hit and kills take longer which costs me net spirit anyways.

I really enjoy using a build without spirit-generators and relying on passive spiritgen. I'm just commenting here as I see you've offered advice on higher MP with bells/quickening - any advice for me?

TL;DR version

1. Looking for advice to my situation from a monk I respect.
2. Asking for subjective opinion on demonic essence farming (and preview on your loot conclusions? - subjectively I find MP0/1 high end TR build in A3 to still be the best legendary loot farming)
Reply Quote
Thx for the really nice update. Will definately take a closer look when I'm back to exp hunting.

Right now I'm playing around with TR/Bells for DE it's good fun and got a decent upgrade for my shoulder in 8 tries. Next up is the bracers. As I've got all the right affixes on my amu and gloves, they might be tough to upgrade.

TR is definately addictive, tried dropping the Inna set for more sustain and a sh*tload of ias to go key hunting in 1.06 using somewhat cookie cutter and man was that boring and slow... And with my very limited playtime I just haven't justified spending it on key hunting, that might change with the upcoming of TR/Bells though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]