Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Now that you've hit plvl 100 what are your next plans?
Reply Quote
Now THAT is what i call a multi-post guide thread!!! Clear, concise, easy to consult and comprehensive. Everything that the other multipost thread isnt. Voted for sticky!
Reply Quote
Fine work, I've been stealing your gearing ideas for a while following your profile!

What are the groups' opinions for item finding as the priority? Meaning -- My main goal is to find stuff to sell/use, my secondary goal is to hit plvl 100. Is running full act 3 @ mp0 a waste (that's what i typically do for variety) or should the runs presented yield better potential?
Reply Quote
What are the groups' opinions for item finding as the priority? Meaning -- My main goal is to find stuff to sell/use, my secondary goal is to hit plvl 100

a high exp run will naturally be good for mf because high exp = lots of mobs dying = lots of drops

an optimized loot run would be longer to take more advantage of NV bonus mf and some areas that are pretty consistent with elite density but inconsistent on trash density (Core of arreat!)

you would be better off doing an alkaizer run + keep 3 + maybe stonefort and / or skycrown
for loot than this optimized exp run
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/1/2012 10:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
druin, you optimized your gear for the cyclone build and got higher exp/hr values

Did you do the same for the firestorm build? what i mean is, did you get a good SW soj, maybe drop a few % crit chance for more overall dps if possible, most importantly zag zag just a little, just enough to pick up some extra kills

just curious if you were as thorough with firestorm as you were with cyclone, you have a pretty optimized build for that rune i must say.
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/1/2012 10:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide and the time you put into it, Druin.

I knew some people were using Seven-Sided Strike in their Tempest Rush builds, but I didn't drop Serenity for it until today and WOW, what fun it is to destroy a pack of elites in one shot. The Empowered shrine makes things even more fun.

Druin, we have pretty similar gear, except I just have 8% IAS on my Inna's. I think I'm missing a total of .03 possible spirit from the Head/Ring/Neck slots. So far it feels like spirit-wise, a Templar is still needed to avoid having to stop every once in awhile and hit a few mobs with Deadly Reach to refuel a little bit of spirit after using SSS or refreshing MoC.

EDIT #2: I just did another run with the Scoundrel. Regen seemed good enough. I think I picked up too many items and restarted Tempest Rush too often during my initial tests with SSS.

I would love another source of spirit regen (other than a legacy Hellcat Waistguard). I grabbed a Mara's with 9.5 crit + 7% TR crit but I'd have to remove the Xep ammy to use it. Exalted Soul looks like my only option at this point (EDIT: Other than using a Diabo, ick). Maybe I can incorporate it into a hybrid-build for a higher MP run.
Edited by Moreir#1247 on 12/2/2012 5:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Loving this build.
Granted my poor !@#$ cannot afford the gear necessary to plow through and 1-hit everyone.
HOWEVER, I love the pace of these runs. I have gotten a few cheap pieces and can sustain tail wind now, my dmg is terrible, and my life is worse.

I love it! I don't feel like an invincible M1 now, I feel like a squishy monk in a cloth robe.
I needed a change of pace, and this works for me.

Now I just need to upgrade some gear and it will be even faster.

TY Druin, well done sir.
Reply Quote
so i sold my 1560 dps, 199 crit dmg, 7 ias skorn for 250m and bought a 1367 dps, 135 crit dmg, 530 dex, 100 vit one for 2m, and the latter gives MUCH better performance because the drop in ias allows me to change moh-circular to moc.

Thanks Druin, you earned me 248m :)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
so i sold my 1560 dps, 199 crit dmg, 7 ias skorn for 250m and bought a 1367 dps, 135 crit dmg, 530 dex, 100 vit one for 2m, and the latter gives MUCH better performance because the drop in ias allows me to change moh-circular to moc.

Thanks Druin, you earned me 248m :)

I will take my 10% cut! thanks! ;) ;) ;)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Okay, I think there is enough info now for this to be a "released" guide!
Reply Quote
I haven't read the whole thing yet (sorry, D), so I apologize if this has already been asked. But is TR a viable "challenge build," or is it just a farming build? I'm under the impression that a player who can handle MPX with a Thunderclap/Cyclone rune will have to drop an MP level or more to run a proper TR build. Am I wrong?
Reply Quote
Vrkhyz I run mp10 with normal build, mp0 with TR build. Druin does the same :)
This build is really only for mp0-1 because you sacrifice a TON of dps and survivability (no sti, no owe, etc) to reach the 12ish spirit regen to keep TR up. Also, the build is all about killing white mobs as you rush through. Only on mp0 can you do this without having to run through them multiple times (unless you have 300k+ dmg, then maybe mp1 gets viable.
Reply Quote
@druin - ei bro thank you for your guide. Btw i have a skorn with 300 LOH. Yah s*cks right? Aside from ls which is so damn expensive, will 1k loh or lok do the trick. I kept on dying and dying all the time. Used up almost all my gold and i have only 2m available. What is the recommended resist for this build? And i know most of my gear sucks especially the boots no dex.
Reply Quote
First of all, Druin you're an inspiration to all of us. Much respect

Although I'm running my TR monk on mp0 (profile not updated yet - my dps is approx 100k); just wondering what the MINIMUM unbuffed dps would be to one shot all monsters - except elites in mp0.

how about one shotting mobs in mp1 - possible? probably need a little more resist and armour huh? I'm only thinking about mp1 as if dps is high enough, might get a little more exp from the bonus?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
First of all, Druin you're an inspiration to all of us. Much respect

Although I'm running my TR monk on mp0 (profile not updated yet - my dps is approx 100k); just wondering what the MINIMUM unbuffed dps would be to one shot all monsters - except elites in mp0.

how about one shotting mobs in mp1 - possible? probably need a little more resist and armour huh? I'm only thinking about mp1 as if dps is high enough, might get a little more exp from the bonus?

Well, with a fully buffed SW and 120k paperdoll dps unbuffed, I did not 1 shot all white mobs.

Here is why: Crits and Crit damage.

Your paperdoll DPS includes the bonus from crits and crit damage, however, when you DON'T crit, you do FAR less damage than your paperdoll indicates and when you DO crit you do far more.

This means that with 120k "dps" you probably only hit for ~40k and then CRIT for 200k or something .. (random numbers)

Note: TR can crit, SW can crit and Submission can't crit. This means that two of your three main sources of dps will be spiky.

When you run through a pack, if you get a lot of crits, everything will die, if you get unlucky, you will see zero Cyclones and virtually nothing will die.

To answer your question: You would need something like 200k DPS with as little CHD as possible if you wanted to consistently 1shot white mobs.

MP1 is most likely never 1shottable with consistency, though I believe if you could get to ~200 or 250k dps with a good TR setup you could probably run it like I currently run MP0.

Edit: Thanks for the support!!!!!!
Edited by Druin#1518 on 12/2/2012 5:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well I have found a flying dragon that has replaced my scorn and seem to do just fine using LPSS and trancendance as a passive.Just a few minor tweeks and the "non skorn" version is complete..:) Using the flying dragon puts my crit chance at over 50% in the tempest rush slot, that and the cyclones makes for eye hurting screen.I find now that i ignore shrines of the fleet foot kind because it makes it too fast and i can't make contact with targets as well.
I think my profile is up to date for a viewing.
I am soo glad that I found my gear before these guides have come out because now you can add at least two 0's to the price of everything with TR in it.....
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Well I have found a flying dragon that has replaced my scorn and seem to do just fine using LPSS and trancendance as a passive.Just a few minor tweeks and the "non skorn" version is complete..:) Using the flying dragon puts my crit chance at over 50% in the tempest rush slot, that and the cyclones makes for eye hurting screen.I find now that i ignore shrines of the fleet foot kind because it makes it too fast and i can't make contact with targets as well.
I think my profile is up to date for a viewing.
I am soo glad that I found my gear before these guides have come out because now you can add at least two 0's to the price of everything with TR in it.....

That is a very nice Flying dragon! :D

I am happy to see an alternate build! that is awesome.

+1
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice, I've been using tempest rush build for some time. Lately I've hit a wall. I got a nats ring and boots for 70mil which I found a steal. However it may be holding me back.
I can attest to being poor. I can't afford a LS skorn so I decided to buy a cheap life after kill. Wait what! Yes life after kill is great sustain for mp0 trash mobs. It doesn't fix reflect damage but it works well with the build. Just my experience

Edit: if anyone reading this decides to use life after kill as a budget option is shoot for atleast 3500min.
Edited by Phoenix#11927 on 12/2/2012 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Thanks for the advice, I've been using tempest rush build for some time. Lately I've hit a wall. I got a nats ring and boots for 70mil which I found a steal. However it may be holding me back.
I can attest to being poor. I can't afford a LS skorn so I decided to buy a cheap life after kill. Wait what! Yes life after kill is great sustain for mp0 trash mobs. It doesn't fix reflect damage but it works well with the build. Just my experience

Edit: if anyone reading this decides to use life after kill as a budget option is shoot for atleast 3500min.

Great advice! I was thinking of looking into LoK for my budget TR spec! :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]