Diablo® III

[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Hey I want your gloves! But that AS is hurting your TR build spirit regen. If your gloves just had CC and CD you'd be in a better spirit place. You could try to get a Helm and SOJ with more spirit/sec (2.2+ at least). Are you using the Templar as your follower? He boosts your spirit regen thru a passive. Also for MP0 you can drop lifesteal on your skorn and just get LOH or Life after Kill and maybe get one close to 1400dps (or just get Dex/Vit and hope your buff enough to take a hit or two). I can run my build right now without too much spirit issues without SOJ or Xeph's, but it's very gear and route specific.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hello everyone, I am sort of back!

I have updated the current events section of the guide and I will be doing a full guide overhaul to make it compliant with 1.0.8 when I have the data to support those changes.

I truly believe that TR is still the go-to xp/hr method for monks in D3 (especially now that Scorps are no longer an option) so I feel this guide is still relevant.

However, I am going to take a break from answering questions here for now.

I really want to focus on my stream and getting PvP going so that is where my attention will be for the time being.

<3
Reply Quote
I read dang near all these posts and it was quite helpfull getting me going into TRing. But I also really want to get into PVP so I'll look forward to those posts :)
Reply Quote
1.08 monster density for mp1-10 only so yeah start there
Reply Quote
Like everyone else I'm very interested in any conclusions regarding new farming routes for 1.0.8 (especially those predicated to TR monks)

Thanks for the efforts,
Edited by Beast#1300 on 5/9/2013 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Act 1
- Festering WP: clear high areas around WP + Warriors Rest and CotA
- Cemetery WP then head south for a full Weeping Hollow clear
- Fields of Misery WP: full clear + Scavenger's Den or Decaying Crypt if spawn
- Leoric's Manor WP: clear Halls of Agony 1 & 2
- Cemetery Garden WP: clear Cathedral

This is netting me ~ 80-90m xp/hour. Since you can get 5 stacks so easily in Festering, I think it is the best place to start, but the order of areas is pretty open after that. I just prefer long runs to short runs.

Act 2
- Grab VotA checkpoint, TP, leave game (only need to do this once)
- Start game, clear VotA
- TP --> Dalghur Oasis WP: only clear east/north of WP until hit Ancient Waterway
- Clear West Channel
- Clear East Channel, TP

This is also netting me about 80-90m xp/hour! The order is more concrete here because you can't get to the channels without first hitting Dalghur.

IMO, Act 4 is terrible for TR, because the enemies have much higher HP and Corrupted Angels constantly interrupt TR, which slows you down at best and kills you at worst.

Also, it is worth noting that I play on a laptop and have overheating issues that cause my game to play like Max Payne when I hit large mobs, which lowers my xp/hour considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if higher geared monks with better set-ups can get 120xp/hour with the above routes. Curious to hear what others are finding!
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tursk-1543/hero/9332893

So, I've managed to snag a decent LOK Skorn, not in my profile right now, and the LS one currently pictured. The LOK is about 10K dps higher at 4400 LOK. Any thoughts on which would be better to use? Just got the LS today, so haven't had a chance to test it. So far the only places I seem to die on MP1 is maniacs.

I've upped my AR to 401, which I think is okay, albeit the AR is on some odd slots. Like my amulet.

I tend to swap in a couple of pickup radius pieces, but it drops my DPS about 20K doing so. With the LOK Skorn, it still keeps me around 115K paper dps, but with this LS Skorn, down to about 98K.

Any suggestions on new upgrades? Things I should be doing differently? Spec changes? I've been mucking around in Act 1 and adding Stonefort to my Act 3 run so I can slowly try to get some keys and craft a hellfire ring.
Reply Quote
Act 1

Thanks for putting this together. I've been thinking about how to do TR/Bell runs in A1 for DE farming and just general runs for kicks. I know that VotA is probably most efficient for those purposes, but I'm really enjoying A1 now, with the boosts to monster density. If/when I am on at a time that I am not doing group MP10 runs (public or amongst friends), I may try your route and see how it goes!
Reply Quote

Ran this on MP1 and averaged about 70m-80m XP/hr. I used to get about 60 XP/hr on MP0 A3 before, so this a boost for me. I was never able to get that magical 100m XP/hr that others have :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DGH5rfnaRU&feature=youtu.be
First video ever so it sucks totally, but I haven't seen many A1 runs vids yet.
Edited by Tranquility#1400 on 5/15/2013 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys I just put together a set and I'm having a blast using TR! I'm doing this more so for loot and was wondering what a good spot is for farming gold per hour? I'd like something that is a short run as this is something I plan to do in-between gaming with friends or while just relaxing while I'm listening to music. If I could find a spot that would net me 10mill per hour that'd be awesome, not sure how realistic that is or not. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply Quote
(Edit: Kudos to Druin, amazing work!)
Good thread! Here are my impressions:
After trying out the various Monk builds (the old-Inferno serenity-blind-heal combo; cookie cutter WKL; variations of bell dropping), I finally tried a TR build and it's the build I have liked the most so far.
The main advantage of TR is the mobility. I mostly play with my Barbarian friend and he is just impossible to follow. He triggers WotB and flies away like a helicopter... Hence I just switched to playing Barbarian and we became an Air Cavalry.

However, with TR the Monk can keep up with WotB; and Monks and Barbarians enjoy an excellent synergy: the Monk gives Overawe and the Barbarian gives Warcry. The results are enjoyable.

Here are the skill-set and itemization I find most satisfying (I'm sure others have posted similar thoughts earlier):
Skills: LMB FoT, RMB TR on one of the first two runes; two of the numbered skills have to be Sweeping Winds and Overawe. With SW I prefer to take the rune which gives you 3 spirit. Hard to make TR work without that. Taking that rune also more or less necessitates using Inna.
One other skill that seems too good to skip with the TR getup is Exploding Palm. Choosing TR means sacrificing tons of damage; but TR does massive damage irrespective of one's paper DPS. IMO EP is a must, though conceivably Bells can also work.
I've no specific preferences for the final skill. I usually just take Blazing Wrath. One can also opt for a second spirit generator along with Combination Strike.
Of the passives, one has to pick Guardian Path. Beyond that I find myself forced to also pick Chant of Resonance for the 2 spirit bonus. The last passive is wide open: any of OWE, the armor bonus, the movement speed bonus, Combination Strike, and even the passive which gives you damage if you heal an ally, works.

Itemization: Boots and one ring: Best Natalyas one can get.
The other ring: SoJ with at least 2 spirit regeneration; for the other stats as good as one can get.
Pants/ Chest/ Belt/ Helm - Inna. Must get 2+ spirit generation on the helm. TR also forces one to abandon OWE, and so try to get as many AR bonuses as you can reasonably afford unless you intend to stick to turbo-low-MP farming. Generally speaking don't worry about DPS too much.
Shoulders/ bracers - craft.
Weapon - life-leech Skorn.
Gloves - try not to get IAS; go as close to 10/50 CC/CD as you can, try to get AR/ dex/ vit bonuses if possible.
Amulet - again try not to get IAS; get as much CC/CD as possible; dex, average damage, AR and vitality/ %life are also useful but not as important as CC/CD. Crafting is far cheaper than AH.

With such an outfit one can, with some effort, get something like 400-600AR, 40-60k HP, some amount of armor, and 120+k DPS (getting to 200k requires perfect Natalya ring, perfect amulet, and an expensive Skorn).
These stats allow one to comfortably: 1) contribute to a team in MP8+ (depending on quality of gear); 2) efficiently farm MP5-6 (TR to elites, demolish them, TR to next pack); 3) blast MP2 Vault of the Assassins for optimal DE farming; 4) one-shot everything in MP1 at max-speed for optimal XP farming.

My impression is that high-level Barbs and Wizards are very quick due to WotB and Wormhole. With TR you can keep up with them. And here comes the fun part: EP and Overawe are independent of your own paper DPS. EP damage depends only on mob-HP - and so your EP will do unimaginable millions of DPS on MP8-10; and Overawe damage depends on the DPS of your teammates - meaning that partnering a Barbarian of 300k DPS translates into a 100-150k Barbarian style damage for you.
In fact, your TR Monk can turn even DHs into merciless killing machines. All you have to do is tag 3-4 monsters with EP and start spamming Overawe. The DH then snipes one of the tagged goons with that grenade torrent ability ---- and KABOOM!

Due to how dodge works (poorly), depending on your gear, skill, latency, and machine power (my machine stumbles when action reaches crescendo), you will die to the following threats: poison pools, laser beams, and the poison tree - bison combo. The problem is twofold: 1) the build relies on spiky sustain, and 2) unfortunately Monks tend to be relatively static in battle - to execute your spirit generator and to EP, you have to stay in place. That's when the poison and the buffalo charges get you. Barbarians, on the other hand, move all the time and enjoy smooth sustain... What canya do.
Edited by r907#1311 on 6/2/2013 10:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been running Crater 2 ->Rakki's -> Keep 2, netting about 60m/hr xp. Is there anything in my build or gear that I could adjust to increase the income? Or at my effective dps could I switch to a different route?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Alrighty, I have finally updated the guide for 1.0.8!!!

Changes
1. I updated the "current events" section to include an explanation of the changes in 1.0.8 and my thoughts on how they affect TR monks.

2. I made some changes to the structure of the guide to make the important information easier to access. I added a section for "Routes for TR XP runs" that includes MP0 Act3 MP1 Act1 and MP1 Act2. I also removed the section regarding "loot per hour" as it was unfinished and I do not have time to finish it.

3. I made some minor changes to the navigation bars that should make moving through the guide a bit easier.

———————————————————————————————————————

06/06/2013 01:02 AMPosted by Chuckfinley
I've been running Crater 2 ->Rakki's -> Keep 2, netting about 60m/hr xp. Is there anything in my build or gear that I could adjust to increase the income? Or at my effective dps could I switch to a different route?

Hello Chuckfinley,

I think you will find the new section on TR Routes to be very helpful!

Here is a link to it:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#3
Edited by Druin#1518 on 6/6/2013 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you for taking the time to respond Druin. The new section is fantastic, and very detailed.
Reply Quote
Nice guide ! Is this the best spec for VOTA essence farming and how most would it cost to build a 40 per hour- DE rate ? By the way I have no monk experience but planning to roll one.
Reply Quote
I've been experimenting w/ replacing SSS with the breath of heaven blazing wrath. So far I've liked the change.
Edited by SeeFu#1970 on 6/11/2013 1:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
06/11/2013 01:34 PMPosted by SeeFu
I've been experimenting w/ replacing SSS with the breath of heaven blazing wrath. So far I've liked the change.

I don't really like SSS anymore. I think it's good if you have too little eHP to live through reflects damage elites ... but if you can live through them then WoL seems better in nearly every way.

Blazing Wrath is nearly required now that snapshot is nerfed.

Are you still casting Faith in the Light and Foresight before SW? Because that no longer works. I will bet that you could find a much better skill for that Faith in the Light slot!
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Druin

I don't really like SSS anymore. I think it's good if you have too little eHP to live through reflects damage elites ... but if you can live through them then WoL seems better in nearly every way.

Blazing Wrath is nearly required now that snapshot is nerfed.

Are you still casting Faith in the Light and Foresight before SW? Because that no longer works. I will bet that you could find a much better skill for that Faith in the Light slot!

oh I never knew that they took away the snapshot. It's been a while since I played. what should I replace it with?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
oh I never knew that they took away the snapshot. It's been a while since I played. what should I replace it with?

If you read the updated guide, all the specs in the "specs" section account for the lack of ability to snapshot and recommend some different options you can try.

Link:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#4
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]