Diablo® III

[2]Uberjager's thread on Ubergearing WW Barbs

Uberjager/Wayneold,

Thanks for putting together this guide. I think it is fantastic. I spend way too much time reading stuff in the forums, and yet, I still learn stuff from guides like this.

Any advice on my gear would be appreciated Uber/Wayne/Dakkon. Also check out my new amulet. I got it on a DROP last night. I was nearly in shock. How much is that worth? Trying to decide whether to keep or sell.

Brilliant amulet. That is in the 500mn+ range if you sell it. I would keep the amulet since it literally has everything you need in an amulet.
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 12/9/2012 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Uberjager/Wayneold,

Thanks for putting together this guide. I think it is fantastic. I spend way too much time reading stuff in the forums, and yet, I still learn stuff from guides like this.

Any advice on my gear would be appreciated Uber/Wayne/Dakkon. Also check out my new amulet. I got it on a DROP last night. I was nearly in shock. How much is that worth? Trying to decide whether to keep or sell.

Just taking a quick look at your profile the first thing I would do is try to find a good cold damage barbarian SoJ. Also, eventually I would look into getting lifesteal on either weapon so you aren't handcuffed to that bloodthirst passive. Otherwise, you are doing great with your gear.

As far as that amulet goes, keep it. I am not much for price checks, especially in the current market, but I can tell you that is an end game amulet and any time you stumble across something like that you can use, you hang onto it. Look at it this way, whatever that is valued at you will lose 15% in the AH transaction, then you will be trying to use that gold to upgrade 1 or 2 pieces of equipment marginally from there while using a worse amulet. The risks outweight the benefits of selling it in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Dakkon and Wayneold,

Thanks so much for the quick response! I really appreciate your feedback.

Just couple questions on the SoJ Wayne. I have the 2 stats maxxed, 6% cold + 30% Elites. I really don't want to lose any of that. But to keep those stats + barb specific, makes rings go through the roof. So I have two questions. Number 1, what skill should I get on it, Frenzy, Bash, etc?? Also, I feel like more barbs prefer frenzy - maniac over bash - punish. I don't understand this, because bash - punish increases your damage more. Can you guys help me understand this?
Reply Quote
Dakkon and Wayneold,

Thanks so much for the quick response! I really appreciate your feedback.

Just couple questions on the SoJ Wayne. I have the 2 stats maxxed, 6% cold + 30% Elites. I really don't want to lose any of that. But to keep those stats + barb specific, makes rings go through the roof. So I have two questions. Number 1, what skill should I get on it, Frenzy, Bash, etc?? Also, I feel like more barbs prefer frenzy - maniac over bash - punish. I don't understand this, because bash - punish increases your damage more. Can you guys help me understand this?

EDIT: Provided wrong information....that's what happens when you speak on a skill you never personally use.

As far as the SoJ goes, get whatever skill you are comfortable with, and if I were you I would be willing to drop 2-3% off your damage to elites if that is more within your price range. Either that or make it a long term goal. What you have right now works, save your gold and spend it on a SoJ when you know it's the last one you will ever need.
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 12/9/2012 9:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Wayneold,

Thanks for the comments.

About Frenzy - Maniac ... the aps, that's the thing, at least on the character sheet, your aps does not change. I just tested again. I have 2.33 MH and 2.17 OH unbuffed. When I started hitting monsters, I looked, and it continued to just say 2.33 / 2.17 back and forth.

Please prove me wrong, I would love to have a good reason to use frenzy - maniac over bash - punish, I just can't find one.
Reply Quote
Wayneold,

Thanks for the comments.

About Frenzy - Maniac ... the aps, that's the thing, at least on the character sheet, your aps does not change. I just tested again. I have 2.33 MH and 2.17 OH unbuffed. When I started hitting monsters, I looked, and it continued to just say 2.33 / 2.17 back and forth.

Please prove me wrong, I would love to have a good reason to use frenzy - maniac over bash - punish, I just can't find one.

Yes. APS adjustment only affects Frenzy itself not APS in general. If it was it'd be too OP. D:

Apologies on wayneolds behalf :P bugger never uses frenzy.

Uberjager/Wayneold,

Great amulet. Consider selling it. It'll fund an upgrade across the board. DAKKON gave a pretty good PC on it but I'm the kind of guy to try to test my luck. Put it for 750m s/b, 1b b/o and see how it goes?

Also,

@All

Updated Section 4. D:
Edited by Uberjager#6563 on 12/9/2012 8:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey über,

When you have a moment can I get your thoughts on my weaps.

With life steal on both plus my belt I am sitting at 8.6% without bloodthirst.

Would I be better off dropping LS on one and going for more damage or should I stay pat in the interest of flexibility (thinking maybe a WH belt down the road)

The main hand I paid 15 mil for which I think was cheap and my EF was around 115 mil.

I realize I am very light on both str and vit right now but since I am mainly running for exp it suits me fine for now. Thanks again for the guide and your time.
Edited by Neurik#1830 on 12/9/2012 8:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Great thread bro, thanks for doing this.

but I need some advice for my items.
I've got about 150m but don't know how to spend it.

Could you tell me what should I go for?

Big thanks :)
Reply Quote
Wayneold,

Thanks for the comments.

Yep, you are right, no need to try to prove you wrong....I'm going to be honest I have no idea why anyone even uses a fury generator in the first place, but that's just me, haha.

@All

Updated Section 4. D:

Well done man, looks good.
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 12/9/2012 9:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nice Section 4 indeed!

When shopping for an EF, would you consider a minimum requirement it should have? Like LS, socket, Str and 1k dps? Will 900ish dps do, too? How bad is fear in OH, since the affordable EFs tend to have higher values of it.

Compared to my dagger OH of course. There is a 950ish DPS one available right now, that would give me 9k DPS in comparison to my dagger. "Just" 75mil but it has 19% fear. (edit: checked again: .23 APS, 165str, socket, 2,5 LS, 971 DPS - 19.7 Chance to fear. That's like a freaking lot of fer chance -.-)

Sorry to bother you again, but I don't want to end up buying crap that doesn't even help me in the end ^^

My profile once more, you didn't answer to my last reply (a page back) but it should show my current MH correctly now. It has 650-1200 dmg range LS, socket.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Este-2536/hero/8726461

Thanks again ^^

Oh and I'll gladly take advice from you other very knowledgeable Barbs, too :)
Edited by Este#2536 on 12/9/2012 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
Uber/Wayneold

At how much crit chance should I switch to using a sword for mainhand?

My current crit chance is only 47% with SoJ

My dps in profile is incorrect because I switched gems to my DH, but it still shows gem in my weapons when they shouldnt.
Edited by xxxkan#1130 on 12/9/2012 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey, i've been following your guide and it's coming along nicely, you've got a ton of information that isn't even in there yet, kinda looking forward to the remainder :P

I have a question about speed farm builds. This is the build i'm running :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WhURPk!hZY!cZZYcZ

However I always feel fury starved at mp0 which is why i'm using Warcry - Charge and animosity. Reading through some of the pages on your guide it seems like people aren't using those fury generators at all. Is there another build that's more efficient that i'm missing here?

What can I change about my build to improve my speed runs?

Which MP level?

Well..mp0 atm :P But i've been going into higher mp 1-2 to make it a little easier to keep my fury up. mp2 seems to keep fury up alot better but i'm not sure if that's the most effecient level to be doing it on. Buffed I sit at about 170k DPS with WOTB but that tends not to last an entire zone. 130k with BR.

Yep, you are right, no need to try to prove you wrong....I'm going to be honest I have no idea why anyone even uses a fury generator in the first place, but that's just me, haha.

I'm thinking that's because you're using the 5piece IK set? I'm told that's amazing for fury regen, but i've yet to test it. Can you confirm that haha? Would I benefit greatly from using 5piece IK for speed clears?
Edited by Shrieka#1921 on 12/9/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can someone please link to a good post discussing elemental damage? I've been experimenting with a SOJ i found with +5 to cold damage. It actually gives me about 10% paper dps boost vs naked slot so i am curios as to what that bonus actually means.
Reply Quote
the bonus adds the % as the corresponding element, the % depends on the physical weapon damage, if you want to see it as a modifier (multiplier)

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/65055-d3rawr-online-diablo3-dps-ehp-calculator-comparison-tool/#entry1081786

adds % to elemental damage bonus = 1 + (sum of "adds % to elemental damage" bonuses / 100)

(base physical non elemental weapon damage + sum of +min/max damage on the weapon itself) multiplied by the +x% damage affix, afterwards add +min/max damage on jewelry and this result is taken into account when calculating the adds x% to elemental damage

long story short ignore elemental damage, only look at the (physical) damage when calculating "adds x% to elemental damage" ....yeah I know the description/affix name is confusing :/
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 12/9/2012 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Uber, I could still use some help in upgrading gear.. I have some gold.. =)
Reply Quote
Hey über I have about 1M and was wondering what you thought would be a good upgrade for me and thanks for the great guide!
Reply Quote
Nice thread Uberjager!
Some really good info there. I can't wait to read the rest, escpecially when it comes to chose skills and passives.
Can you give me a sneak preview and enlighten me plz? I'm more interested in building up defense in this game, ehp, sustain, survivability, etc. My understanding is armor is exactly the same as resist all. They do the same thing, and 1 resist all = 10 armor. I believe that mathematically, it's optimal to have a 10:1 ratio.
Which brings me to my question, what passive do you think would give me the most survivability? Since my armor is low and my resist all is high, tough as nails or nerves of steel would be a better choice than superstition. But I tried both, and I'm more confortable with superstition. Also, is overpower a better damage reducer than those passives? Finally, do you know a damage mitigation calculator where we could enter our figures(armor, resist, skills, passives, reduced dmg from melee or ranged%) to simulate our toon's defensive stats? Such a tool would be so useful for the upcoming PvP.
Thanks!
Reply Quote
[quote]
The given method is no longer optimal. The reasons for it are simple.

There are more sources for EXP % bonuses. Cains is considered one of those sources since back then nobody could use cains in inferno pre-1.05, but now with mp0 you could wear cains.

Secondly, hellfire rings.

So in short, clearing elites for EXP bonus is not worth the time especially with the time it takes to clear an elite. You're better off just clearing areas with alot of trash mobs. In this case, it would be Keeps 2 which has the highest concentration and number of those ingame.

If you want to dispute that you can always provide a video showing how you get more exp from an alkaizer run. I'm up for that.

I don't understand your logic. You're saying that a proven method is no longer valid because there are now items that give additional experience bonus? Listen to what you're saying.

The Alkaizer run still nets more experience per hour than your keeps only run. The reason behind this is because you're building 5 stacks of NV right away. 5 stacks provides a huge increase in experience % bonus that you don't have running keeps only. The first two ports of the Alkaizer run allow you to gain these stacks in a matter of 1 to 2 minutes, and then the rest of the run is all profit.

If I want to dispute it I have to show you a video? How about you show a video of keeps out performing the many of videos showing Alkaizer netting more than 1.5/mil a minute?

Sorry Uber, if you find keeps easier and more enjoyable for you then that is fine; however, it doesn't provide more experience than a proper Alkaizer run.
Reply Quote
[quote]
The given method is no longer optimal. The reasons for it are simple.

There are more sources for EXP % bonuses. Cains is considered one of those sources since back then nobody could use cains in inferno pre-1.05, but now with mp0 you could wear cains.

Secondly, hellfire rings.

So in short, clearing elites for EXP bonus is not worth the time especially with the time it takes to clear an elite. You're better off just clearing areas with alot of trash mobs. In this case, it would be Keeps 2 which has the highest concentration and number of those ingame.

If you want to dispute that you can always provide a video showing how you get more exp from an alkaizer run. I'm up for that.

I don't understand your logic. You're saying that a proven method is no longer valid because there are now items that give additional experience bonus? Listen to what you're saying.

The Alkaizer run still nets more experience per hour than your keeps only run. The reason behind this is because you're building 5 stacks of NV right away. 5 stacks provides a huge increase in experience % bonus that you don't have running keeps only. The first two ports of the Alkaizer run allow you to gain these stacks in a matter of 1 to 2 minutes, and then the rest of the run is all profit.

If I want to dispute it I have to show you a video? How about you show a video of keeps out performing the many of videos showing Alkaizer netting more than 1.5/mil a minute?

Sorry Uber, if you find keeps easier and more enjoyable for you then that is fine; however, it doesn't provide more experience than a proper Alkaizer run.

I have never properly recorded my xp/min or xp/hr, but from what I understand Uber's logic is that he is able to kill white mobs at blinding speed even with using XP boosting items such as Cain's set. Granted, Neph Valor does supply an extra 15% XP bonus per stack, but then again you have to figure in how much longer your run is in total by killing those elites. So, let's do some math:

Every monster inherently gives you 100% XP per kill

Bonus' are as follow:

30% Cain's set
30% (potential) Leoric's Signet
35% Hellfire
31% Ruby in helm
7% (or so?) follower w/ Hellfire + Signet

For a total of 133% bonus to XP boost = 233% XP per kill

Now, consider that you also have the ability to get another 75% total XP bonus from Neph Valor stacks for a total of 308% XP per kill.

308/233 = 1.32 which is the ratio of your XP at 5 stacks of neph valor to Uber's XP value while he runs with just XP boosting equipment.

This means that at 5 stacks of neph valor you only really gain 32% more XP total from mobs then Uber. That does not take into account the enemies you are killing during your run while not under the influence of 5 stacks, which further reduces the amount of bonus XP you are actually gaining from killing elites.

If these numbers hold true, Uber would really only have to kill white mobs at a slightly faster pace then you while skipping elites in order to make up the difference of the Neph Valor stacks.....something I think he can do after seeing his farming methods in action. Granted, I would say his chances of getting a legendary per run is decreased compared to your method by eliminating the bonus Magic Find from Valor and the guaranteed rare drop from elite packs at 5 stacks, but the fact that he can keep pace with xp/min seems not only feasible, but relatively easy to imagine.

I guess it all really depends on what you are looking for....but as for your argument, I think both ways yield results. Alkaizer has proven his run is quick and efficient, but I believe Uber's run takes into account equipment that Alkaizer didn't have available to him (at least while remaining efficient).
Reply Quote

In a matter of 1min I would have gained 1.7m exp and relogged. Simply put, from an EXP farming point of view (discounting item drops) Alkaizer runs are no longer as viable because it dictates that you have to kill 5 elite mobs before you get maximum bonus. Previously, during 1.04 this bonus was really hard to get. There was no hellfire rings, inferno is now your present day mp3 and it isn't easy enough for you to wear cains, leorics were also really expensive then. So inevitably you HAD to get 5 stacks for the most exp bonus. Having to look for 5 elite mobs before you tackle areas with higher mob concentrations can now be skipped.

The new method shows that it's far faster EXP wise to just run keeps 2 over and over again with a higher base EXP bonus. Also, consider that Elite mob kills give an EXP equivilant to about 5x-10x trash mobs. So it really isn't worth the time taken to kill them.
Edited by Uberjager#6563 on 12/9/2012 5:41 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]