Diablo® III

[2]Uberjager's thread on Ubergearing WW Barbs

Hi there this has being a great read, thankyou for the help gear wise and understanding tick rates etc.

Like most people I made some bad purchases and wasted millions. Would like to say that finally I got things right but not really sure about that and need some expert advice on what steps to take or mistakes to remedy.

Thanks.
Edited by Bane#1213 on 12/4/2012 11:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for doing this man!
Reply Quote
great job! i'm gearing my barb ww , could you help me?

i want to spend a total of 300m in a new mainhand, offhand, ammy and ring. Could u tell me what should i go for? 300m to spend.

My current stats without these 4 slots:

5,8k armor , 550+ all resist (650 fire and phys) unbuffed
980 vit, 24% life bonus (not counting gem on socket) = 42k max life
2055 str, 27,5% CC (37,5 with the axe/mace passive), 14% IAS, no CD stacked atm.
464 loh, 5,8% LS, 800 life regen.

my goal is 170k+ dps
survability i think it's really good, may be i wont need LS or loh in those slots.

ty very much
Edited by Locke#1403 on 12/4/2012 9:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi uber great thread!

i have been following this thread for quite awhile!

i just found a IK glove which stats are 199str, 6% att spd, 9 crit chance, so i have replace the current one.

could you advice me on what are the next few items that i need to upgrade?

thanks for the help!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SJYanG-1985/hero/25148725
Reply Quote
Nice guide Uber, thanks for the effort! Having followed it and built up my barb into quite a decent shape. However, kind of stuck now since I could not think of any cheap upgrades. Can you please take a look at my profile and leave some advices (Having a better mempo with higher stats, but using the one in profile for the pickup radius)? Really appreciate your help!

P.s. I am also a SG barb (Toa Payoh) :)

Your setup is ok, what you want to improve?

12/04/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Este
When switching weapons, is adding another 200min dmg (700-1100 range) worth losing 100str and 50% CD? (old range 500-1100). I'd also gain a 3rd source of LS.

Yes.

Because its harder to obtain avg damage and lifesteal than it is to obtain CD and str. (overall)

I must say that this guide was super helpful to me. It's great to have all that info in one place - thanks for doing this. I played SnB for a long time, and I used this info to try out the WW build. I bought my two weapons based on the guide (spent less than 10mil for the pair). From there I got the Lacunis and an IAS ring to take me up in breakpoints (calculated using Nubtro's thread). I would have to add IAS to 3 more pieces of gear to get up to the next breakpoint for either weapon, so that doesn't seem like a good idea since my budget is pretty low (I'd end up loosing a fair amount of CC/CD in exchange for the IAS). I've got around 700 EHP which seems decent. From testing it out, it seems I can do okay in MP 5-6, but at 7 I start to be more fragile w/ bad elite modifier combinations and kill mobs pretty slowly. MP 4 feels pretty good.

So first, I'd love some feedback on my gear and any ideas for future upgrades. I have about 30mil, but I could save up some more if it made sense based on suggestions. In general it seems like I need to focus on bumping up my DPS more than my EHP at this point. Here's some things I've been pondering (but do let me know if none of these are the best thing to go after next):
* I'm thinking probably weapon gems would be the best place to start, but it seems crazy to me how expensive the 100% CD gems are. Perhaps get 90% for each weapon?
* Some better Lacunis that have CC would be nice, but I'd probably have to drop the the AR, vit, or both unless I saved up for some that were quite pricey.
* I could look for an IK helm or boots with higher str, although that tends to get expensive pretty quickly.
* Are my weapons a weak link? I could always look for a better MH or OH if that would be the biggest improvement.

Second, any thoughts on running a WW build with a shield? I kept my Stormshield (9% CC, 27% block), and it actually works reasonably well from the testing I've done. I can do MP 5 or so with it with no other changes to me gear other than swapping the OH for the shield. The biggest difference seems to me that fury generation and management is trickier. I guess with the extra CC from the shield, you could use other gear slots to increase IAS/CD further. Just not sure if there's really a reason to do that, as in would there be any aspect of it that would have an edge over dual wielding. I guess you wouldn't have any inconsistencies in performance from the switch between MH and OH on Sprint-RLtW, but I'm not sure what else.

Thanks!

You have low str, which also means you have pretty low armor (4.7k is really low). So your overall damage reduction isn't that high. Try to at least have 2k of it.

Get 100% gems, gems won't go down in price (unless there's duping or new more gg gems get released) so it's always good to get them since you'll never replace them.

Shield is largely fine. Take note though, using a shield caps out your IAS at a certain value. So you can't really hit the higher breakpoints. Also, with a shield, your CC is already pretty high, so using a sword as MH is more viable.

Thank you for your guide uber! I was able to pick up some nice deals over the past week:
(1) Inna's Temperance with 179 vit for 60 million gold
(2) Andy's with 9% IAS and 10% fire for 500k gold
(3) Lacuni's with 9% ias, 4.5 cc and 90 vit for 29 million gold

I was able to easily handle solo MP6 key runs / MP7 ubers in a group!

My next plan is upgrading weapons. What do you think works more effectively/better value?
- Butcher's Sickle with socket (comes with native crit + LS) and EF with crit + socket *or*
- High DPS mace with crit + socket and a EF with socket + LS

Out of the two I prefer your second option.

Hi there this has being a great read, thankyou for the help gear wise and understanding tick rates etc.

Like most people I made some bad purchases and wasted millions. Would like to say that finally I got things right but not really sure about that and need some expert advice on what steps to take or mistakes to remedy.

Thanks.

Pants. 200+ vit. 2 socket. AR.

great job! i'm gearing my barb ww , could you help me?

i want to spend a total of 300m in a new mainhand, offhand, ammy and ring. Could u tell me what should i go for? 300m to spend.

My current stats without these 4 slots:

5,8k armor , 550+ all resist (650 fire and phys) unbuffed
980 vit, 24% life bonus (not counting gem on socket) = 42k max life
2055 str, 27,5% CC (37,5 with the axe/mace passive), 14% IAS, no CD stacked atm.
464 loh, 5,8% LS, 800 life regen.

my goal is 170k+ dps
survability i think it's really good, may be i wont need LS or loh in those slots.

ty very much

MH, Mace 600-1100 damage range, socket, lifesteal, CD or strength

OH, str EF, lifesteal, socket, +0.24 aps minimum, <13% fear.

Then your ammy and rings.

CC + CD + avg damage. Str and IAS nice to have. But not necessary (unless below Nado threshold, refer to Nubtro's thread)

Hi uber great thread!

i have been following this thread for quite awhile!

i just found a IK glove which stats are 199str, 6% att spd, 9 crit chance, so i have replace the current one.

could you advice me on what are the next few items that i need to upgrade?

thanks for the help!

I64 pants. 200vit. 2 sockets. 60 AR.

IK boots. 130+ vit.

I63 shoulders, 60-70 AR . 150 vit. 150 str. (life% if possible.)
Edited by Uberjager#6563 on 12/5/2012 4:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
could use some gear advice, i think my ehp is too low... (28k hp with ~400 ar). my aps is decent at 2.5, 50% cc, 350% cd. not sure what to upgrade that won't cost 50-100m+
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 04:45 AMPosted by Jarik
could use some gear advice, i think my ehp is too low... (28k hp with ~400 ar). my aps is decent at 2.5, 50% cc, 350% cd. not sure what to upgrade that won't cost 50-100m+

:(

You sure you want to hear it? It's not going to be pleasant.
Reply Quote
go ahead and put me on blast, im ready.
Reply Quote
Thanks for taking time to give me some feedback, I know there's a lot of folks asking you for it :) I'll start looking for some places to find some additional str and some 100% CD gems.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 04:52 AMPosted by Jarik
go ahead and put me on blast, im ready.

Either you...

Change nothing, but play a throw barb.

or

Drop Andariels Visage get Basic entry mempos.

Drop Witching hour get IK belt.

Drop str temperance, get vit temperance.

Drop Lacunis, get Str/Vit/AR versions

I'd advise you to change your weapons as well but it'd break your bank :/
Edited by Uberjager#6563 on 12/5/2012 4:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
64 pants. 200vit. 2 sockets. 60 AR.

IK boots. 130+ vit.

I63 shoulders, 60-70 AR . 150 vit. 150 str. (life% if possible.)

thanks for the feedback!

For pants we don't get any armor for it and i just afford what i can get for strength on it?
Reply Quote
Anyone able to give me advice on what to upgrade next?

Just got the Innas and Ice Climbers for cheap so working on my vit and all res next.

[quote]Ice climbers and Innas are only viable right now if you can afford relatively decent Ice climbers and innas. (150 combined str/vit innas and 300 combined str/vit ice climbers).

Lower tier Ice climbers do NOT give you any benefit whatsoever, you'd have been better off completing that 2 piece BT set with BT pants and going 3 piece IKs (boots, belt, gloves).

Then get a entry level mempos but make sure it doesn't drop your crit below 35%.] [quote]

Great advice, I not only managed to get my all Res and vit up, but also improved marginally on dps. Best part made good profit off the ice climbers and inna's :)

Got a lil $$ now, not sure if I should be upgrading my jewelry or weapons.
Reply Quote
Uber, I have a feeling that price on AH start to rise. Are you feeling the samething?
Reply Quote
Jager,

I'd like to add my voice to the choir thanking you, this has been a great help. I just finished making a barb and have geared him out on the cheap, as advised in your first post (but with slightly better gear - I paid a little less than 5 mil, and some pieces were found as well like the pants). This is just for me trying it out for now, and I know that it's pretty crappy gear. =)

Now - apologies if this has been covered before (I'm still slowly making my way through the first thread...!), but now that you have shown us how to GEAR our WW barbs, I was wondering if there was any Uber-approved source - videos, threads, etc - on how to PLAY them properly. I get the general idea, but I know I could be doing it a lot better. You mentioned, in your intro to the videos, that a lot of credit had to be given to Wayneold for his playing, so playstyle must also be a key component. =)

Much appreciated, cheers!

P.S. - to the poster above about auction house prices rising - yep, felt that too. =) I remember starting reading this a week back and just looking on ah for stuff before my barb was lvl 60, and things have gone up a bit since then. But, not much, overall.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 06:54 AMPosted by wxin44
Uber, I have a feeling that price on AH start to rise. Are you feeling the samething?

Its the smell of 1.07 and pvp! I can sense it!

Anyone able to give me advice on what to upgrade next?

Just got the Innas and Ice Climbers for cheap so working on my vit and all res next.

[quote]Ice climbers and Innas are only viable right now if you can afford relatively decent Ice climbers and innas. (150 combined str/vit innas and 300 combined str/vit ice climbers).

Lower tier Ice climbers do NOT give you any benefit whatsoever, you'd have been better off completing that 2 piece BT set with BT pants and going 3 piece IKs (boots, belt, gloves).

Then get a entry level mempos but make sure it doesn't drop your crit below 35%.] [quote]

Great advice, I not only managed to get my all Res and vit up, but also improved marginally on dps. Best part made good profit off the ice climbers and inna's :)

Got a lil $$ now, not sure if I should be upgrading my jewelry or weapons.

140+Vit Ik boots. >.>
Reply Quote
Über,

I would appreciate your opinion on my off hand. Right now I have a socketed strength EF with .21aps. My current life steal is 5.8% between belt and main hand and base un buffed paper damage is around 93k (175k buffed). Can I save the dough and go with a higher dps non life steal EF with +.24 aps, or should I hold out for a LS EF which would put me at 7+% LS. Is my current 5.8% LS (without bloodthirst) sufficient assuming I continue to work on upgrading my DPS?

Thank you
Reply Quote
Anything I can change to drastically change my barb w/o spending massive amounts of money?

I'm guessing the Amulet :/
Reply Quote
Hi Uber!!!
I tried to follow some of your tips and i'm very happy about the result.
Now i don't know what to upgrade next to make a general improvements to EHP and DPS....i think something about Gloves, rings or weapons.
I can lose 6% IAS on ring without change Nubtro's breackpoint, but i need a 7% min from gloves (or loss 8% on Gloves, but need 7% on rings).

I play on EU, my profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gorak-2772/hero/3358189

Thank you for the reply and sorry for bad english!!!!
Edited by Gorak#2772 on 12/5/2012 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Uber...quick question...I've read the guide on the Inna's found one last night that is
606 AR
92 dex
ASI 8%
+173 armor
+12 % movement spd
CH 1.0%

No Str or Vit on it
I own a set of IC but they are on my monk with Dex

should I put this Inna (above) on and use the ICs I already have? will probably have to wait to get the gold to buy something with Str/Vit

BTW...do have some natalya's footprints on my DH with Str...is that a possibility

Know I got a lot more to upgrade/change but cant afford to upgrade it all....keeping an eye out for socketed weapons but none I can afford right now that can take the place of the set swords i got

thanks

didnt see my profile updated today but replaced some gloves last night
Edited by Romad#1308 on 12/5/2012 10:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
TACTICS AND STRATEGY OF WHIRLWIND

Brought to you by Wayneold

Uberjager has asked me to assist with the guide by providing some tactics and strategy that I personally use with the whirlwind build in order to promote efficiency with the build. I fully expect him to add to this portion of the guide but here is my contribution to this great guide without further ado:

• Starting a battle

• As many of you know there are several skills within different whirlwind builds that allow you to gain the fury necessary in order to begin sprinting, and then the process of whirlwinding down large packs of enemies all at once. Some people prefer bash, frenzy, cleave, or even weapon throw with the no escape passive active among others. These are traditional ways of gaining fury and are self explanatory, hit the enemies, gain fury, begin sprinting and whirlwinding, Battle Rage-Into the Fray will continue to generate fury and it becomes a perpetual system until there are no longer enemies to draw critical hits from in order to gain fury.

Although the traditional build works wonderfully for a lot of high end Barbarians, and they are able to use the buffs from Frenzy-Maniac or Bash-Punish in order to make the whirlwind and sprint skill even more effective (see Uberjager's build, and I am sure he can accompany this with a video if so requested) I have stuck with a build that does not require a fury generator, instead choosing to lean heavily on skills like Overpower, and interchangeably Rend, Revenge, War Cry, and whatever else I feel like running with the build. Immortal King's 5 set utility of fury regeneration, and more importantly fury no longer degenerating assists with this type of a build and tactic, but is NOT NECESSARY. You can run a non-fury generating build without IK 5 set, here is a video of me starting a battle on 3 seperate occasions without the 5 set bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SucfPnqFwww&feature=youtu.be

How I accomplish running without a fury generator is by accessing the other way of generating fury: being struck by enemies. A lot of people forget about this way to generate fury, and since it is often overlooked it is not viewed by most as a viable option to gaining enough fury to begin a battle. In essence without IK 5 set what you do to begin a battle is run into an area with enemies, stand still and get struck by enough enemies in order to cast Battle Rage-Into the Fray, then cast Overpower, hope it proc's Into the Fray and you have enough fury to begin sprinting and WWing, but if it does not then you have to wait be struck enough to then cast sprint and begin the process of WWing. From there on out running a build without a fury generator (and no IK 5 set) comes down to timing, watching your fury, and understanding how to end the battle with full fury by sprinting a single target enemy to death.

The reason I bring up the build differences in a section about tactics and strategy is because your build shapes a lot of your tactics. Obviously with skills like Bash, Frenzy, or anything else that can generate fury on demand some of the tactics I share here might not apply to you (like whirlwinding down a single target, or even a goblin) Both builds have their advantages and disadvantages, but from here on out I will provide some tactics and stratgies for the WW build, however, keep in mind that your specific build or playstyle may not be able to utilize all of these tactics.

Now that the battle is started, let's move on to how to WW with the best of them.

• Make Whirlwind work for you!

• Believe it or not Whirlwind is not as mindless as it seems. The people that are able to do it most effectively have gotten down the timing for the individual skills, take advantage of their buffs (Wrath of the Berzerker and/or Brawler anyone?) and understand the weaknesses that their gear has and they are able to get around that by using not only the skills on the toolbar, but tactics while in game.

People with higher-end gear are able to plunge right into the center of groups of enemies, forget about nearly any monster affix, and have confidence that their barbarian will come spinning out the other side unscathed. So, for fun here is me doing that in MP10 with a large group I pulled in the Fields of Slaughter:

http://youtu.be/c2UsnM6J7jM

Now, if your barbarian has gearing deficits, lower health or defense, and simply can not afford to take the required amount of damage to just run right into the center of a large group of enemies never fear, there are ways around such shortcomings. The easiest way to not take damage is by simply avoiding it. I need not tell you that standing in molten, descecrator, plagued, or arcane beams is something that if given a choice you should avoid, however, there are other ways to avoid taking damage simply by being tactical. When you plunge your barbarian into the center of a group of enemies he/she is exposed to many monsters all at once that would love to execute your barbarian as quickly as possible. If you choose to take an approach where you spin around a larger group of enemies though, you expose yourself to less enemy damage, a novel idea. A diadvantage to such a tactic is that your sprint tornados and whirlwind stikes hit less enemies, and make your clear times lengthier, but nothing extends the time it takes to clear a level then multiple deaths, so if you find yourself unable to plunge right into the center of a group of enemies, consider the tactic I like to call tracing the enemies, here is a video of the tactic in practice:

http://youtu.be/Wd5gYsTRE-k

While farming you will rarely be greeted with an overwhelming group of enemies that provide nearly limitless fury and allow you to just destroy them all at once. When it happends, it is glorious, but in all practicality, it does not happen all that often. This is when you need to develop a sense of timing and understanding of your skills and your damage output. You need to know when to leave a group of enemies to die to your sprint tornado's or in some cases your Rend damage over time. Sitting on a group of enemies and whirlwinding them down to the absolute last one is not an effective farming strategy, you are much better off allowing some monsters to trail you not only from a fury generating standpoint, but also because your sprint tornados are generating potential damage behind you, so you might as well use that to your advantage. This tactic is especially important for lower MP levels where enemies tend to die fairly quick. Here is a video of me in MP 4, and while watching it take note that I am rarely present for the last kill of any group because I am already well on my way to the next set of enemies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOkh3K_iCI&feature=youtu.be

Being confident that your tornados can handle the remaining damage necessary to kill remaining monsters is an aquired skill and very gear specific, but timing the effective damage remaining in your tornados and being able to get to the next pack of enemies in time to continue your Wrath of the Berzerker for long stretches of time will allow you to maximize your efficiency with the build.

Now that I have mentioned Wrath of the Berzerker, a common question I see on the message boards is how to maintain it indefinently. First thing's first: you need the Thrive on Chaos rune in order to do this, next, you need enough critical hit chance, IAS, and movement speed (more move speed = more tornado's produced from sprint) to be able to generate fury necessary to keep the buff. Also, the monsters must have enough health on whatever MP level you are on to support being hit enough to generate that fury. Beyond that, it is all dependent on tactics.

Wrath of the Berzerker is by far the best singular buff in the game, it gives you amazing offensive and defensive buffs along with crowd control immunity....who wouldn't want this buff 100% of the time? Keeping it maintained indefinently comes down to 2 things, generating enough fury, and spending excess fury.

Fury generated while at maximum of your globe does not increase the uptime of Wrath of the Berzerker, this is a VERY IMPORTANT thing to understand, and it is the cause of most people losing the buff. Fury generation is rarely the issue, but it is the gentle balance of spending the fury necessary so that all fury gained is applied to keeping the buff. In order to spend fury the Whirlwind has 2 consistently used skills that are able to accomplish such a task, Battle Rage and Sprint. These skills must be used when they can be in order to drop fury to a level where fury gained is applied toward keeping Wrath of the Berzerker.

I generate enough fury where during WW battle except on single target I can spam Battle Rage every time it is available, when I have a single target or so many enemies that I can't spend enough fury I like to double or triple tap the Sprint skill. A lot of people make their mistake on this....if you just continue to hit sprint constantly you will not produce tornados until the last use of the skill, it resets the tornados produced every time you click the skill, by double or triple tapping the skill, allowing 2-3 seconds for your tornados to produce, then repeating that you can effectively drop your fury and refill it without bottoming out your fury. Here is a video of me using such a tactic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13-ogR_CEk&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, the timer on my Wrath of the Berzerker does not count down hardly at all even on single targets, plus I am actually able to add time to the buff when I find a pack large enough to support the fury generation necessary.

I will reference the video above for the next tactic for effective Whirlwinding, tornado placement. In order for tornado's to produce from sprint, a certain amount of ground must be covered. Spinning in small, concentric circles does not produce tornados because it does not cover enough ground on the map, therefore you need to either spin and sprint in a larger circle, or go in a back and forth motion. In the video you see me alternate between doing in circles and a back and forth motion depending on the map and enemy placement. Spinning in a circle slightly larger then the diameter of the toradoes produced by Sprint seems to give the most benefit to killing individual targets while moving back and forth to produce tornadoes has always been my favorite tactic when the enemy is confined to a hallway, or the enemy alignment allows for such a move. Tornado placement is something that is developed over time, and you will learn how big or small to make your circles or back and forth paths to distribute the most tornaados on a given target. With enough practice (and a cold Stone of Jordan ring) you can even Whirlwind down a goblin in MP10 without much of an issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxkQN-9z2o&feature=youtu.be

Also, in this video at 3:42 you can see how to whirlwind down a single target elite, this was taken when I still had my old gear, so kill time is a bit longer, but I also had lower crit chance and attack speed in this video, which shows it is possible to effectively Whirlwind down single targets with enough practice and a little skill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56XSaqHYKY

The last tactic I will touch on is affectionately known by Uberjager as the "Meatgrinder". It is simply luring larger groups of mobs into smaller groups to produce more fury, damage (with brawler) and speed up clear times by damaging more enemies at one time. It is no secret that Whirlwind barbs wish there was just an entire level wall to wall packed with enemies because with the right amount of sustain we could ravage the entire room in a matter of seconds without much of an issue. The more enemies that are constnatly within your tornados and whirlwind range, the faster your clear speeds will be.You should always be trying to maximize the damage potential of every tornado and every spin of Whirlwind by including as many enemies as possible to the area which is being most heavily damaged. We can do that by tagging groups of enemies and allowing them to trail in our tornados while damaging elites or other monsters with larger pools of health. It is better to continue to move and allow the elites or other mobs to travel with you to larger groups, that way more enemies are being damaged faster, and the elite will eventually succomb as well. Don't get tunnel vision by thinking you must kill each monster individually before you move on to the next one. Gather them all up and burn them down all at once if you can.

This tactic should be evident is nearly all my videos, so a specific one is being omitted unless someone requests it.

Hopefully this tactics and strategy portion of the guide brought to you by Wayneold has helped some of the people still struggling with the Whirlwind build, happy spinning, and thanks again to Uberjager for creating this comprehensive guide to this class and build.

Take care and happy spinning!
    Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 12/5/2012 11:14 AM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]