In chronological order:
1. Playing Super Mario Bros. on an NES at a friend of my brother’s house long after they fell asleep because being the young tagalong brother I wasn’t able to play when they were up. After that night, I wanted a Nintendo so bad that I had my mom get a coffee can and write “Nintendo” on it and cut a slot in the lid. I tried to save up enough money, however, I never did get a Nintendo. We did get an Atari 2600 as a hand me down from our cousins though, so that was fun.
2. For the Christmas of 1997 my older brother, who had just started working at the local grocery store, bought the two of us a preowned SNES with preowned copies of “The Legend of Zelda: A Link” to the Past and “Earthworm Jim.” My brother, like me, knew absolutely nothing about video games and yet managed to purchase one of the greatest games of all time. I was absolutely absorbed in the world of Hyrule. A friend at school told me where to find some of the heart pieces and how to craft the lvl. 4 Master sword. Great times.
A friend introduced me to the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy VII & VIII were very memorable experiences. I have since found, and played, the old FF games starting with FF6 followed by FFI – V. This leads to my greatest gaming moment #3.
3. Defeating Yiazmat mark in FFXII. I was over at my brother-in-law Steve’s place, and since we were both playing FFXII at the time I brought my memory card over with my save file. Now Steve plays a lot of games, he also likes to experience most if not all of the content the game has to offer. Therefore, to maximize his time he always gets the strategy guides for games like Oblivion and FFXII. I, on the other hand, like to play through w/out a guide the first time through. Long story short I was there, the guide was there, and curiosity got the best of me. While perusing through it I came upon the section on how to beat the elite mark Yiazmat. As I read, I learned about how to farm Yagyuu Darkblades, best weapon for killing the Holy Dragon, by chaining a special monster, the only one that would drop this sword, that appeared randomly on some bridge. Well, let me ask you this, if you had I had max lvl Characters and brand new information on how to farm the best Ninja sword in the game to defeat the toughest boss in the game, what would you do? Yeah, I thought so. I started farming this unique Bomb monster dude with my brother-in-law cheering me on… A frustrating hour and a half later my brother-in-law is crashed out in his chair and I still don’t have my Darkblade. Undaunted, I sallied forth and slew even more unique Bombs and finally it dropped. Exultant, I equipped the blade and reveled in the find for a bit. Then I decided to farm up another one as I still had the chain going, lo and behold I got another one in ten minutes. With my newly found Darkblades I went to fight Yiazmat. It was an intense battle that lasted for close to an hour and a half. I would wake up Steve to give him updates on the battle, and he would mumble something like “that’s cool bro” and go back to sleep. Defeating that boss was better than beating the entire game and has only been topped by my 4th greatest gaming experience…
4. Beating Ubers In D2. After finally learning about how to open the portals I farmed up the keys and Opened the portal to the Forgotten Sands and stepped through it with my poisonmancer. I explored the area very slowly, not knowing what to expect, and then Uber Duriel charged me and the fight was on. I used my clay golem to tank Duriel and used fire wall and p nova to take him down after 30 min or so. I then explored the other two portals and killed them with my poisonmancer. It was very satisfying to do this with zero deaths.
As for Uber trist, I used a smiter that I had built using a Last Wish and Fort that someone gave to me in one of those “Free Items” games, and my little brother used a hammerdin. We went in the portal and we were immediately killed by Meph. I thought “oh great,” but I went back in and locked on Meph and started smiting away, with my life going up and down like crazy. Meanwhile, my little brother was just getting slaughtered. After Meph fell, I took down Baal and Diablo in the same fashion. Aside from that first death, it was just awesome.
5. Diablo III has provided me with many great experiences. MP7 Uber runs with my friends, Crafting my Hellfire etc.